Magic Item tables for March of the Phantom Brigade

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just a couple of things that I have noticed when reviewing the magic item table for March of the Pahntom Brigade:

1) Half of the items on the magic item tables do not come from HotFL or HotFK. One (Rod of Deadly Casting) I have not been able to find in PHB, PHB3, AV, AV2, HotFL or HotFK)

2) At least two of the items on the main list (10% of the list) are useless (or practically so) to any Essentials character - Holy Symbol +1 (no Esentials Paladin or Cleric abilites have the Implement key word) and Symbol of Life (which can be used exactly 3 times - once per chapter).

Interesting, no?
Here you go

Rod of Deadly Casting
Level 2 Uncommon

Infused with war magic and covered in death symbols, this rod amplifies lethal magical strikes.

Price: 520 gp
Implement (Rod)
Enhancement: +1 attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d10 damage
Property: On a critical hit if you roll a 10, you can roll the die again and add the result.

Published in Dragon Magazine 365, page(s) 14, Eberron Player's Guide, page(s) 108.

I am not sure where you are getting that most of the items are not in player resources, a quick check in the DDI Compendium breaks it down like this.

TREASURE TABLE
Roll
Result

Source

2 potions of healing

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic armor

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic weapon

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic holy symbol

HotFL, HotFK

+1 amulet of protection

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic wand, orb, staff, or rod

HotFL, HotFK

+1 veteran's armor

HotFL

+1 vicious weapon

HotFL

+1 safewing amulet

HotFL

+1 symbol of life

PH1

+1 dwarven armor

PH1

+1 orb of inevitable continuance

PH1

+1 rod of deadly casting

Dragon365, EPG

+1 luck blade

HotFK

+1 delver's armor

HotFL

+1 lightning wand

DMK

ironskin belt

PH1

+1 amulet of health

HotFK

+1 flaming weapon

PH1

+1 staff of storms

PH1

Every source in bold is an essentials source. Of the seven that are not in essentials, six are from the Player's Handbook 1 and only one from Dragon Magazine/Eberron Player's Guide.

My Two Coppers,

Bryan Blumklotz
Don't get me wrong here... I understand that when authoring a game concessions have to be made but time and again I read last season that players could only choose from Red Box, HotFL, HotFK, or the Essentials DM kit for Magic Items....  Then in an Ask the Author column I read a comment where he claimed that he wrote the Encounter's on the belief and asumption that all or any items could be found in PH1-3, DMG1-3, and or AV1&2.

So now we come to Season 4.... Why should it surprise anyone that we do not have stats for NPC's...What you didn't notice that there are no stats for "Horses and Wagons" or for the Inverness settlers? Yet these are both listed as multiple NPC Allys and should they die ......

Should they die?!?! how will they die if we have no stat information on them. No HP, No Abilities, No Powers....

I'm less worried about Magic Items from Sets that the characters are not even to be playing in and more worried about how I am to run a campain without all the stats for the NPCs that the characters are to protect and the monsters are to attack. Shoot I'm still waiting for the Essentials DM Kit Magic Items to be added.
I am not sure where you are getting that most of the items are not in player resources, a quick check in the DDI Compendium breaks it down like this.

TREASURE TABLE
Roll
Result

Source

2 potions of healing

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic armor

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic weapon

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic holy symbol

HotFL, HotFK

+1 amulet of protection

HotFL, HotFK

HotFL, HotFK

+1 veteran's armor

HotFL

+1 vicious weapon

HotFL

+1 safewing amulet

HotFL

+1 symbol of life

PH1

+1 dwarven armor

PH1

PH1

+1 rod of deadly casting

Dragon365, EPG

+1 luck blade

HotFK

+1 delver's armor

HotFL

+1 lightning wand

DMK

ironskin belt

PH1

+1 amulet of health

HotFK

+1 flaming weapon

PH1

+1 staff of storms

PH1

Every source in bold is an essentials source. Of the seven that are not in essentials, six are from the Player's Handbook 1 and only one from Dragon Magazine/Eberron Player's Guide.

My Two Coppers,

Bryan Blumklotz

Um, the only magic Holy Symbols in Essentials are found in the DMK (and are still worthless for this season).
Keep in mind though, this season was originally going to be HotFL, HotFK + Class Compendium: Heroes of Spell and Sword. So when the table was put together they assumed that there would potentially be holy symbol using characters. Once the call to scrap that book was made, i dont think we have any way of knowing if there was time to change the printing on this or not. If you're DMing and that roll comes up on the table, reroll it or change the result to something appropriate in advance - the players wont know the difference and they wont mind.
Here's cards I made for the treasures:  Link

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Nightwalker450,

Thank you for the cards. Much appreciated, because now I don't have to do it.

As for the holy symbols, why they are there has been addressed, you can do one of the following:

1. Essentials only game: Let it roll, party member that gets the holy symbol can sell it for gp.

2. Essentials only game: Re-roll any result with a holy symbol.

3. Essentials only game: Substitute something else from HotFL, HotFK, or DMK.

4. Full 4e game: holy symbols now have a purpose, provided someone plays a classic Paladin or Cleric at the table.

I was reading my DM Kit Book last night and realized that all the non HotFL and HotFK magic items are in the Dungeon Master's Kit (DMK). Thus,

TREASURE TABLE
Roll

Result

Source

2 potions of healing

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic armor

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic weapon

HotFL, HotFK

+1 magic holy symbol

HotFL, HotFK

+1 amulet of protection

HotFL, HotFK

HotFL, HotFK

+1 veteran's armor

HotFL

+1 vicious weapon

HotFL

+1 safewing amulet

HotFL

+1 symbol of life

DMK

+1 dwarven armor

DMK

DMK

+1 rod of deadly casting

DMK

+1 luck blade

HotFK

+1 delver's armor

HotFL

+1 lightning wand

DMK

ironskin belt

DMK

+1 amulet of health

HotFK

+1 flaming weapon

DMK

+1 staff of storms

DMK

Thanks,

Bryan Blumklotz

That is freaking brilliant! Thanks a ton!

https://twitter.com/#!/Nullzone42

Someone read my mind!

Thank you. I kept putting off tracking all that down. Glad I don't have to anymore.
Oh sure, I just finished mine. lol
So now we come to Season 4.... Why should it surprise anyone that we do not have stats for NPC's...What you didn't notice that there are no stats for "Horses and Wagons" or for the Inverness settlers? Yet these are both listed as multiple NPC Allys and should they die ......

Should they die?!?! how will they die if we have no stat information on them. No HP, No Abilities, No Powers....

The rules for horses and settlers in the first encounter are stated at the beginning of the Tactics section on page 8. They don't need full stats.
Specifically it says:

spoilers
Stirges can attack the horses and the settlers, but the
defenders do not retaliate. A stirge attack automatically
hits and kills a settler. Each horse has 25 hit points. The
horses and settlers do not have healing surges.

The stirges auto hit any settler or horse target they can fly to. Settlers will auto die and horses take 25 hp damage before they expire.

Think of this as a plot effect, the colonists are there to show the PCs how fragile their charges are and how tough they are in turn. It has the added benefit of speeding up combat for the DM, he has to just move and kill or move and damage depending on the target.

Remember, the stirges will attack the nearest target, which should behoove the PCs to get in front of the settlers and put themselves in harms way... unless they are cowards .

My two coppers,

Bryan Blumklotz
I've got a player at my table who wants to sell his magic item. I do not own the Rules Compendium and the module states those guidelines should be used when selling magic items. Anyone care to enlighten me on the rules on selling items?
Hello Snakeheadfish!

The rules compendium states you can sell a magic item based on its rarity.  Common items sell for 20% of its base value, an uncommon item sells for 50% of its base value, and a rare item (not found in this session of DDE) sells for 100% of its base value.  Of course you have to find a willing buyer, and that buyer has to be able to afford it.  This may be hard indeed in the small settlement of Iverness.

On a more important note, should the player be allowed to sell the item?  I'd really talk with the rest of the players and get their thoughts.  Chances are the item might be better off for another member.  Since magic items are somewhat rare and because of the way DDE distributes them, it might not be fair to the other players to allow one to 'go to waste' as it were. 

I'd ask the interested player why he wants to sell the item?  Is he looking to trade it for something else?  Do they just want gold for golds sake?  See if you can find an intersting solution tha can keep everyone happy, without simply catering to demands.  A small sidequest or a bit of roleplaying to make the character work for whatever goal he/she ultimately wants!  Good luck, and tell us how it plays out!
Thanks for the info Dream. I'll keep you posted on what we work out.

Personally I don't see a problem with items being sold during the course of this adventure as long as it's reserved for between chapters. Given the amount of time between chapters 1 and 2 any number of travelers, merchants and suppliers could have visited the growing settlement. They could have brought in items for barter or trade. Of course I'm not going to allow anything that is rare to come floating into town and I doubt, after selling the item the player will make enough coin to even purchase a replacement. Hopefully once he sees the little amount of coin he could get, he will rethink it and maybe trade the item with someone else in the same position.
Sign In to post comments