Dungeon 186 - Eye on Dark Sun: Eldaarich

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dungeon 186
Eye on Dark Sun: Eldaarich

by Rodney Thompson and Travis Stout

The city-state of Eldaarich, long sealed against the world, has opened its gates ... a crack.

Talk about this Article here.

It actually came out!

And now that I have actually read it. 2 week delay for 2 monster stat blocks? Really?
Was this supposed to be in this month or last?  Because I see it in this months ToC.  Unless you had two EoDS articles in two months?
They might have split the article in two so they could finish off january.

That or making the Dungeon 187 look bigger.

Ah, so when you can't get an article done on time, just split it up.  I wish my professors were as understanding.
I do find it interesting that, when you access the article via Dugeon 187 (which links directly to the EODS article), this is the description of the article: "The spear that killed Kalak is one of the most powerful artifacts on Athas. The Heartwood Spear is being updated for the 4th Edition version of the campaign setting. How many more sorcerer kings will fall to its power?"

The description has nothing to do with Eldaarich.
The spear that killed Kalak is one of the most powerful artifacts on Athas. The Heartwood Spear is being updated for the 4th Edition version of the campaign setting. How many more sorcerer kings will fall to its power?

Ah, so when you can't get an article done on time, just split it up.  I wish my professors were as understanding.

Oh, don't think I'm defending it. I'm just trying to come up with a logical reason why this article was delayed like 2 week,s when its only mechanical content is 2 monster stat blocks. Its possible the more crunchy bits just werent going to be ready, so they gave us this.

The other one I can think of is maybe it was an art issue, and they just went without it. There's no map of thise place, or even a marker of where it is on the DS map. The only picture is one crudely cropped from the DS guide, you can even see the head of one of the character' staffs.

Obviously I have no real proof to back it up. But I think their more justified than "wotc is being lazy".

I wish my proffs were this leniant too.
the thing is, it is listed as being part of BOTH dungeon issues 187 & 186. and on it is still grey out on dungeon 186 compilation page (but not on the 187 issue...).
My guess is they re post it in the 187 issue.
Plz make any change you want, but let us download the january 186 dungeon issue !...   
I do find it interesting that, when you access the article via Dugeon 187 (which links directly to the EODS article), this is the description of the article: "The spear that killed Kalak is one of the most powerful artifacts on Athas. The Heartwood Spear is being updated for the 4th Edition version of the campaign setting. How many more sorcerer kings will fall to its power?"

The spear that killed Kalak is one of the most powerful artifacts on Athas. The Heartwood Spear is being updated for the 4th Edition version of the campaign setting. How many more sorcerer kings will fall to its power?

Same here.  Was hoping for an artfact.

Despite this article being linked via Dungeon 187, I'm pretty sure it is intended for Dungeon 186 and we will have another Eye on Dark Sun this month about the Heartwood Spear. So I wouldn't give up hope on that as of yet!
Yeah, this article was for a previous issue. According to the author on his blog, this was originally written for the Campaign Setting book but dropped. It was then added to DDi (a good way of using "cutting room floor" material). I can see how it was a bit much for the setting book, as Eldaarich is a place you would seldom use.

I did really like the article. Rich imagery that was written so I wanted to use it in my campaign immediately. Cool NPCs and a lot of minor tidbits that make it really easy for a DM to use in different ways. The separated dwarves, for example, give you nice flexibility for ways PCs could try to reach the city.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

It seems to list the correct issue now, although it's not accessible from 186's ToC.

Good fluff, but I'm disappointed there's only one bit of art for the city.  Wish there was a map of the region, since I don't recall it being in any of the maps from the setting book.  A map of the city and forts itself would have been stellar as well.

Still, this might be useful for my DS campaign. 

The page was assigned the wrong URL, and that's been fixed. Eldaarich is part of January's content; February's EoDS will be about the Heartwood Spear, as noted in the ToC.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Thanks for the quick fix, Steve.
It seems to list the correct issue now, although it's not accessible from 186's ToC.

Good fluff, but I'm disappointed there's only one bit of art for the city.  Wish there was a map of the region, since I don't recall it being in any of the maps from the setting book.  A map of the city and forts itself would have been stellar as well.

I loved this article, but I would also echo this complaint.  More art and perhaps a map would always be better!
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon

The page was assigned the wrong URL, and that's been fixed. Eldaarich is part of January's content; February's EoDS will be about the Heartwood Spear, as noted in the ToC.

Steve

Nice to see that on Tuesday, February 8th, January's content was FINALLY completed (when it was posted it would be up in the week of 1/31 and then was posted it would be up on Monday (2/7)).

Don't get me wrong, I"m glad it's finally up, but no one can officially comment on why the long delay?  

I loved this article, but I would also echo this complaint.  More art and perhaps a map would always be better!

Oh Good Lord, can you imagine how long that would have taken?
Color me disappointed - more or less as usual - once again. Though at least it did have mechanical crunch I guess.
Sign In to post comments