02/09/2011 TD: "Standard Besieged"

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Mike's missing the really sick tech with Shape Anew -> BSC.

What's the only thing better than a Blightsteel Colossus?  TWO Blightsteel Colossi, one of them that can attack immediately.

Say hello to good old Renegade Doppelganger.  :P

Also, the Tezzeret decks are alive and well at my FNM, don't know about elsewhere...  nothing more hilarious than a deck that makes Tumble Magnet standard playable.  ^_^

I find myself deeply unimpressed by Slagstorm, though.  Good luck keeping an Elvish Archdruid from untapping with that.  Good luck stopping those Kuldotha tokens Mike just spent a few paragraphs warning us about.  Remind me please - what creature has exactly three toughness in standard, that we care about?...

...yeah, that's what I thought.   So, in exchange for the chance to kill basically no additional creatures (since the critical toughness number for early game is 2, and the critical toughness for mid-late is 6), and for the potential to send 3 upside your opponent's head or to their walker, you're pushing your sweeper back a whole turn?  Are you suicidal?  I'll be sticking with good old, reliable Pyroclasm.  (Why do I have showtunes going through my head all of a sudden?...)  Nothing at the two drop is better at ruining Boros's, Elves, Vampires, OR Kuldotha's day.  Me?  I like anti-aggro cards that let me keep a hand that lets me KNOW I am safe - not merely pray.

This is basically what I read in my mind every time there's a new Top Decks column.

Well, another week, another new chapter in the book of Extended. Are you sitting down?

One word, everybody: Fairies.

It took everybody by surprise: a deck that dominated Standard adapting to the wider card pool and becoming dominant in Extended. In hindsight it seems so simple, but nobody could have predicted that this archetype would perform exactly as well as it already had its entire existence.

(chart that completely contradicts everything said above)

What happened? Keep your ears to the ground, planeswalkers, and hear the words on the lips of every true success story in today’s Extended: anybody who’s anybody plays Wurmcoil. But is another change a-brewing?

Mirrodin Besieged comes laden with a thick, rich dose of artifact control nobody had to deal with in the post-Scars Extended universe. Pros ahead of the curve might be looking for a new late-game threat less vulnerable to the two copies of Creeping Corrosion or Into the Core every deck of those colors is sure to be sideboarding, perhaps even another six-drop. Say…a few Top 8 Valakut Ramp decks lately have only been playing two or three Primeval Titans. We might be on the verge of a return to the days of identical creatures in every serious list. That would be a hell of a thing, wouldn’t it?

(winning Extended deck from the last major tournament)

This is a list one of the great Japanese pros, I forget which one exactly, picked up from a secret cabal of French Valakut cultists (ia ia Valakut fhtagn) and rode all the way to victory at the epic assembly of Magic minds that was Pro Tour Bogotá. As you may have noticed, what they’ve done here is swap out the mid-costed $30 four-of that brings out a huge number of lands for an $18 four-of that typically brings out one, sometimes two less lands but costs one less colored mana. Will the added speed give this deck the push it needs? Only time will tell how the rest of the environment adapts to it, but it’s sure been working so far.

(second-place deck from the same tournament)

This somewhat dangerous concept was the “wild card” of the day, but came pretty close to taking it all. Working from the revolutionary list above, Sssngwuaiy Heistenenendt made the bold move of keeping a bit of both worlds…big bits, in fact. By keeping three of each card at his disposal for added versatility, he did the nearly unheard-of and swaggered into the top two with far and away the largest deck at the event: sixty-two cards. With unpredictable moves like this abounding, it’s no wonder this is shaping up to be the most fascinating and innovative season in years.

It seems like this article was a "Look Besidged cards are playable in standard unlike scars". I think signal pest is the new affinity. Constistant Turn 2/3 wins make players not play.
Just one quick note; Blightsteels reshuffle ability is a replacement effect as such when you shape anew him he will be shuffled back into your opponents deck before they start flipping cards and so they will reveal him again so it doesnt quite answer him.
Just one quick note; Blightsteels reshuffle ability is a replacement effect as such when you shape anew him he will be shuffled back into your opponents deck before they start flipping cards and so they will reveal him again so it doesnt quite answer him.

In the deck shown in the article, a Shape Anew on a Blightsteel Colossus would have a 50/50 chance of getting the BSC or the Everflowing Chalice. Better than nothing if you have no other plays, but I agree, it would make much more sense to find your own BSC. Exile is a good way to handle BSC, and repeatable bounce or tapping are acceptable ways (not as good, objectively, but far more maddening to your opponent, especially if they "cheated" BSC into play), but Shape Anew will really be a last resort.
Well i was going off the assumption they had already shaped the chalice into the BSC.
"...The trade-off is that you have to play a certain number of artifacts in order to consistently "hit" with Tezzeret."

Isn't the same true of Affinity?
am I the only one who noticed that this column is a day early? No even on purpouse, seing as how he talks about Paris being "one day away". Hell, even the OP for this thread says "goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com."

Where is BoaB?
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Um:
Careful readers have probably noticed that for this week, Top Decks has swapped spots with Jacob Van Lunen's column and invaded Wednesday, almost like an oncoming Phyrexian army. Take that, Wednesday!

blah blah metal lyrics
Not only that, Paris actually is one day away.
"We've only seen whispers of the Tezzeret decks so far, but it would be surprising if the solo Planeswalker to come out of Mirrodin Besieged didn't see play, and dramatically."

Have you been on the internet lately? Bahaha. Tezz is like the only thing that's being built around.

Also, the Shape Anew deck: You're doing it wrong. ONE See Beyond, really? And no Treasure Mage/Grand Architect? -.-
What would Treasure Mage get, besides the one card you want to keep in your library?
One Hit Wonder strikes me as a much better nickname for Blightsteel Colossus than One Shot Robot.
The end is always nigh.
I don't think Shape Anew and  Blightsteel Colossus will last that long, once people start seeing it in action it is easy to take apart.  I can see people running more artifact hate in there decks, or saving their removal spells for an oportune time, Oh, you Shape Anew your Inkmoth Nexus, well I Lightning Bolt it in response or Doom Blade it.  Now I can see something like Kuldotha Forgemaster and Precursor Golem take off, especially with  Shape Anew +  Treasure Mage + Grand Architect.  You have alot of things you can do with that kind of deck.  Same scenario as above, Oh, you Doom Blade my Golem, I sac em to Forgemaster first.  Here comes a Blightsteel.  I currently run a deck similar to this with 4x Cryptoplasms, people see those and don't put two and two together til they are staring at 2+ Wurmcoil Engines or 2+ Blightsteel Colossus.  You can only Journey to Nowhere or Revoke Existence so many times.
What would Treasure Mage get, besides the one card you want to keep in your library?

Oh boy. There's a / there.

So the slash means you were not serious? If so sorry I did not catch that. Disregard.

I'm surprised Mike didn't mention tezz + inkmoth nexus, but hey

I dislike the potential for another planeswalker to dominate standard. perhaps, though, the phyrexian revoker might slow them down a bit, or maybe we'll see more nonvampire black decks  and vampire hexmage.

So the slash means you were not serious? If so sorry I did not catch that. Disregard.

-.-

The / indicates there are two cards there. You should not use one without the other.
@5colorpro:  GJ on reading skills.  How exactly is Cryptoplasm better than the Renegade Doppelganger I mentioned in the first post?  :P  I don't see why this deck needs to be U/B except possibly for disruption.  If you want to focus on Shape Anew you should focus on it!  But if you want to really bust shape Anew in a deck with Jace, do run the Treasure Mage because you can tutor your target, then brainstorm it to the top and cheat it into play with Shape Anew.  This lets you run a package of 1x BSC, 1x Wurmcoil, 1x Spine of Ish Sah and 1x Mindslaver.  :D  (obv you keep 2-3 of these in the board and bring them in as needed vs. various matchups.)

Also, more and more folks are catching onto Darksteel Axe.  Not only is it a Shape Anew target that's immune to almost all removal (you can Revoke it or Into the Roil it, and hardly anyone plays those cards), it can also be suited up on the Trinket Mage that fetches it to make a serviceable 4/2 dude - or attached to Inkmoth Nexus to make a 3/1 flyer.  Gives you something to do if your Shapes get Memoricided, other than scoop.  :P

-.-

The / indicates there are two cards there. You should not use one without the other.

So...then that still brings up the question why a player would fetch the card out of his lbrary to his hand the turn before playing the card that fetches the card out of his library and puts it into play. Neither card is good here, but I stopped at the one that would actually be counterproductive to winning.

From an earlier part of the post, I do agree that more copies of See Beyond would seem to make sense.

So...then that still brings up the question why a player would fetch the card out of his lbrary to his hand the turn before playing the card that fetches the card out of his library and puts it into play. Neither card is good here, but I stopped at the one that would actually be counterproductive to winning.

From an earlier part of the post, I do agree that more copies of See Beyond would seem to make sense.

Well, Treasure Mage goes with Grand Architect if your goal is to cast something rather than cheating it into play.  Treasure Mage goes and fetches an artifact, plus makes it cost 2 less by tapping while the Architect is out.  Not a bad deal.  

A better point to make is, Grand Architect does not go with Shape Anew.  But See Beyond definitely goes with it! 
Also, more and more folks are catching onto Darksteel Axe.  Not only is it a Shape Anew target that's immune to almost all removal (you can Revoke it or Into the Roil it, and hardly anyone plays those cards), it can also be suited up on the Trinket Mage that fetches it to make a serviceable 4/2 dude - or attached to Inkmoth Nexus to make a 3/1 flyer.  Gives you something to do if your Shapes get Memoricided, other than scoop.  :P

Downside = no turn 5 kills.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Well, Treasure Mage goes with Grand Architect if your goal is to cast something rather than cheating it into play.  Treasure Mage goes and fetches an artifact, plus makes it cost 2 less by tapping while the Architect is out.  Not a bad deal.  

A better point to make is, Grand Architect does not go with Shape Anew.  But See Beyond definitely goes with it! 

Neither Grand Architect nor Treasure Mage go with Shape Anew in this deck.

There's really no turn 5 kill anyway, since you have to hold mana back to counter Revoke Existence
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm

There's really no turn 5 kill anyway, since you have to hold mana back to counter Revoke Existence

Again, no you don't.  Renegade Doppelganger is immune to Revoke...  until all of a sudden it turns into BSC and is swinging for game.  

Is anyone even reading what I'm saying here?  Please go RTFC:  sales.starcitygames.com/search.php?subst... 

Again, no you don't.  Renegade Doppelganger is immune to Revoke...  until all of a sudden it turns into BSC and is swinging for game.  

Is anyone even reading what I'm saying here?  Please go RTFC:  sales.starcitygames.com/search.php?subst... 

Who said anything about Renegade Doppelganger?  It's not in the deck that was being discussed!

And seriously, dude.  Autocard instead of posting a link to a store's website. 
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm

Who said anything about Renegade Doppelganger?  It's not in the deck that was being discussed!

And seriously, dude.  Autocard instead of posting a link to a store's website. 

Um.  *I* said something about doppelganger, because it SHOULD be in the deck.  Not including it = fail.  I mean, I guess you could run Strider Harness instead as an alternative way to haste up the Colossus, but that seems highly lame to me *shrug*.  I'm just sayin', why not kill the *turn of* Shape Anew, not the *turn after*?

And until your post, I didn't know how to autocard on this site.  MTGS uses "card" "/card" tags, not "c" "/c".  It helps a lot, of course, that this site - which should be the premier MTG forum - lacks clickable buttons for surrounding text with card, deck, and mana tags, which MTGS has.  :P

And until your post, I didn't know how to autocard on this site.  MTGS uses "card" "/card" tags, not "c" "/c".  It helps a lot, of course, that this site - which should be the premier MTG forum - lacks clickable buttons for surrounding text with card, deck, and mana tags, which MTGS has.  :P

Doesn't "card" "/card" work? Using "card" tags (Order of the golden cricket ) seems like it works fine.

Yeah, you'd think they'd have figured that autocard buttons was a feature people wanted, and I think this site actually had them at one point.  Sadly, they seem to have gone the way of Fat Pack novels and the Core Game.

Also, "card""/card" tags work, but "c""/c" is just faster. 
what do you guys think of blue/white artifact control? I use counters, ratchet bombs, tumble magnets and days to stall early game. The two mages fish up chalices, voltaic keys, and contagion engines, to be used in combination with lux cannon. My finishers are celestial colonnade, argent sphinx, wurmcoil engine and steel helkite. 
Well, I like U/W for one reason.  If all we're tutoring for is a singleton Darksteel Axe, well, Stoneforge Mystic costs a whole mana less than Trinks.  And lets us fit tutoring and casting the Axe into turn 3.  Thus 1, colonnade or preordain, 2 renegade, 3 mystic + axe, 4 shape anew -> BSC, smash with renegade BSC.  It's at least theoretically possible and doesn't need any acceleration.
Sign In to post comments