Steampunk Setting?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone know of any good steampunk RPG settings that I could adapt for Gamma World?  Thought it might be fun.

"Lost? Confused? Lacking direction? Need to find a purpose in your life?"

-Welcome to Night Vale Proverb

I think my first question is what do you mean by setting?

Because to me steampunk is a setting, it's a world where steam powered devices became more popular/economic than electric powered ones.

If you mean specific RPG game worlds I have nothing to offer.

If you mean different steam punk settings from film/media I would recomend Steamboy the Movie.  It's a fun little romp through the victorian era about a boy with a ball of steam and his many uses for its unimaginable power.  (That explanitation is terrible compared to how awesome the movie is)

Steampunk in Gamma World shouldn't be hard to do, since Gamma World doesn't have a lot of explanations for how things work.  Maybe this time around people decided steam was a better alternative, maybe one of the alternate realities that got sucked into gamma world was a steam driven world.

All you need to do to convert is simply imagine how something would work if it were powered by steam.  To be fair even electricity could be created with steam power, so whole cities could work off of steam power.  Traps could be powered by steam.  The Archivist could have a steam powered citadel where they look down upon the down trodden and laugh. 
I've been thinking about doing a campaign based on the Bioshock games. Thats very steampunkish and has mutants, bizar powers and weaponry. I also want to create a set of cards based on it.
It's not tabletop, but look at some of the preview material for BioShock Infinite.  If that doesn't scream Gamma World adaptation, I don't know what does.
Does anyone know of any good steampunk RPG settings that I could adapt for Gamma World?  Thought it might be fun.

There's not that many, mostly just Space 1889 and GURPS Steampunk (the latter is more of a resource than an actual setting). Both could be of use.

Also: here's a free post-apocalyptic steampunk RPG setting that might be to your liking.

It's not a full setting, per se, but you might be able to do something with this idea...

At Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights, there is a steampunk-themed area where a post-apocalyptic steam-powered society is running out of water. The actors there like to remind visitors that "the human body is made of almost 70% water!" while lunging at them with various prop weaponry. The primary feature in this part of the park is a steam-powered chainsaw drill team.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
Just saw a preview today for "Cowboys and Aliens" ... not exactly what you're looking for, but I always like Wild, Wild West style steampunk.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

deadlands has a little steampunk gamma world mesh. very weird west.

i've been exploring at little of that in the game i'm running. i've got a different themed settlement in this area, a steampunk one, a dieselpunk/raygun gothic one, a sort of medieval/renaissancepunk one, and a cyberpunk one.

I'm suprised 'Castle Falkenstein' hasn't been mentioned...

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I'm suprised 'Castle Falkenstein' hasn't been mentioned...

Wow, that takes me back.
Also "Victoriana"
I've been thinking about doing a campaign based on the Bioshock games. Thats very steampunkish and has mutants, bizar powers and weaponry. I also want to create a set of cards based on it.

While Gamma World is neat, I'd say Savage Worlds works better for the BioShock vibe. And some people have already started the conversion work. 

No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT

While Gamma World is neat, I'd say Savage Worlds works better for the BioShock vibe. And some people have already started the conversion work. 

Savage Worlds is such a fun system, I bet it will work great for BioShock
Sign In to post comments