when will we get the table of contents?

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
its the 4th. this is getting worse
I concur. 395 and 186 are January's magazines. They should have been out in January (even if they want to be more flexible with when in January). They put out a pretty scant expectation for Jan and have failed to even deliver that anywhere near on time. Given there's only really 3 weeks of February my expectations of getting a decent amount of content are low. So is this really teething problems? Or just a long term cut in content? Will we ever see 200 pages or more in a month like we were a year ago.

We're well aware that people are waiting for the February ToC. Right now, we're wrestling with higher priorities, like getting all of January's material through the system. February's ToC will be up before the weekend's over.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

We're well aware that people are waiting for the February ToC. Right now, we're wrestling with higher priorities, like getting all of January's material through the system. February's ToC will be up before the weekend's over.

Steve,

I can't say the current situation is a great one, but I do appreciate you giving us a heads-up on the situation and trying to provide us some communication.

If you have the chance (and I know you might not, for various reasons), the main questions I'm interested in having answered are:

1) Do you anticipate these delays being an ongoing issue?
2) Are the magazines going to continually see the diminished content that we received in January, or was that a one-time event due to the current adjustment period?

I can't say the current situation is a great one

You're being too kind. The current situation falls far short of great, but we're working on it.

The new procedures that we implemented at the beginning of the month accomplished their chief objective, which is to raise quality and cut down the number of corrections. So far, we've had to make just three corrections in January, and they were minor: we adjusted the prices of a consumable item in the Kord article, bumped the DCs of a disease by 1 in the Mistwatch article, and we'll probably loosen up some of the prerequisites in the eladrin knight article in response to forum feedback. Those fixes were (or will be) implemented within days of the articles' appearance rather than waiting until the end of the month. That's a big step forward. 

But those improvements are impinging on R&D's resources, as we knew they would. The people affected are happy to be involved because they see the benefit to the magazines, the game, AND the department as a whole.

Time is time, however, and 1 + 1 + 1 still exceeds 2. Now we know the process gives the results we wanted. The next step is making it more efficient, so that it gives the results we want in the time we have. 

To answer your specific questions:

1) We anticipate these delays being an on-and-off issue through February. I'd like to state that everything will be ironed out by March 1, but I already made that claim about February 1 and here I am apologizing for it not being so. The big scheduling spreadsheet shows us being on track by the end of this month. If we can adhere to it, then I won't need to come back and make another post like this, which will suit me just fine.

2) I see that people have an impression that January was light on content, but it's not true. What it is, is late on content, because we're still pushing out January articles in the first week of February. When "Eye on Dark Sun's" 4,500 words are tossed onto the heap on Monday, January will actually be a heavy month. Our monthly target is 50-60,000 words between the two magazines. January will be at the top of that range, if not slightly over it. February will be somewhere around the middle. March is too far out to say for certain at this moment. But if something was listed on the January ToC, it won't be counted toward February's content regardless of what day we make it available. Articles are being delayed but not re-allocated. No month will come up short on words because of the revamped process.

I hope that clears up at least a few doubts. We've met some key goals this month, but we've also under-delivered on some promises. We don't intend to backpedal on the promises. We'll keep at it until we deliver.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

I would like to thank you for your efforts Steve, but I must say article choice has been far worst that article punctuality and quality.
thanks for the update steve
First off, many, many thanks for sending out a response and communication about what is going on. Even when things aren't going the way everyone wants, it does definitely help to know that this is all just as much of concern to you guys as to the rest of us.

2) I see that people have an impression that January was light on content, but it's not true. What it is, is late on content, because we're still pushing out January articles in the first week of February. When "Eye on Dark Sun's" 4,500 words are tossed onto the heap on Monday, January will actually be a heavy month. Our monthly target is 50-60,000 words between the two magazines.

I'm not... entirely sold, here. I admit, it is hard to judge due to the lack of compilation, but...

The December compilations gave us 161 pages, and over 100,000 words between the two magazines. November: 147 pages, and over 85,000 words. October: 138 pages, and over 82,000 words. September: 167 pages, and over 98,000 words. August: 196 pages, and over 116,000 words.

August 2009: 190 pages, and over 110,000 words.
August 2008: 223 pages, and over 144,000 words.

Combining the page count from all the January PDFs, including the ones that came out in February, we have: 98 pages, and around 60,000 words. Let's add in the 4,500 words from the upcoming "Eye on Dark Sun", plus the word count from the Editorials, Ampersand, and D&D Alumni, and our total comes out at around 67,000 words.

Which is still significantly shy of even the lowest amount in the last few months.

If the monthly goal has indeed switched to 50,000 - 60,000 words, that is indeed a drop to potentially half the previous level of content. We used to regularly have over 100,000 words, and for the last year, have tended between 80,000 to 100,000 words. Dropping that yet again does seem a significant loss to the reader - is there an explanation for this abrupt change in the amount of content?

2) I see that people have an impression that January was light on content, but it's not true. What it is, is late on content, because we're still pushing out January articles in the first week of February. When "Eye on Dark Sun's" 4,500 words are tossed onto the heap on Monday, January will actually be a heavy month. Our monthly target is 50-60,000 words between the two magazines. January will be at the top of that range, if not slightly over it. February will be somewhere around the middle. March is too far out to say for certain at this moment. But if something was listed on the January ToC, it won't be counted toward February's content regardless of what day we make it available. Articles are being delayed but not re-allocated. No month will come up short on words because of the revamped process.

I hope that clears up at least a few doubts. We've met some key goals this month, but we've also under-delivered on some promises. We don't intend to backpedal on the promises. We'll keep at it until we deliver.

Steve

I'm sorry Steve, but are you saying that the "Eye on Dark Sun" article, that was due out in January, won't be out until the 2nd week of February (since you posted this on Friday, February 4, and Monday will be the 7th)?  I'm not sure how you, or anyone at WotC can possibly find this acceptable, let alone anyone who is paying for the "magazines" now.  And honestly, why call it a table of contents, when it isn't a magazine anymore, since the e-zine articles won't be compiled into an issue at month's end (or mid-next month, as it would be in January's case)?
Steve already said it was unacceptable and that they were working on correcting the problem. We can't ask for much more than that at this point.
Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg
Steve already said it was unacceptable and that they were working on correcting the problem. We can't ask for much more than that at this point.

If it were a once in a while thing, it would be ok, but c'mon this is going on three month+ of this whole "bear with us" crap...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

Yes we can.

Even his stated goals (60000 words on an average month) are way less than what we used to get...

2) I see that people have an impression that January was light on content, but it's not true. What it is, is late on content, because we're still pushing out January articles in the first week of February. When "Eye on Dark Sun's" 4,500 words are tossed onto the heap on Monday, January will actually be a heavy month. Our monthly target is 50-60,000 words between the two magazines. 

when did this change?....

last January we got 56,613 words.

In dragon.

Alone.

and 69,665 in dungeon....

when did the bar fall to half of that? 

Weak. I'm having to restrain myself to not be rude here.

So maybe it's not light in comparison to December, but to this time last year... A joke.

This is my real issue. I could cope with current delays, i recognise the changes happening. But compared to last year, and even from when i signed up in July, the amount of content has dropped serverely. This has gone unstated, snuck under the radar, and now Huscarl has the cheek to come here and say they're trying to get back to business as usual, while glossing over the fact that business as usual is half of what it was a year or even six months ago.

So yes. January is light on content. Very light. Very very *insert strong word here* light.

So...

I ask again. When did this change? Why? Are you even offering an excuse?

As a paying customer, yes you can ask and demand more.  If something is stated to be out in January, it should be out in January, not the 2nd week in February. 

I was a DDI subscriber from the first day possible, but I did let my subscription lapse when they started the whole "just wait...soon..." crap.  Saying that they couldn't get Dark Sun and Essentials into the CBC (which was a lie, it's not a couldn't, it was a wouldn't), when they released the alpha OCB with less functionality than the CBC, when they decided that deadlines for articles didn't matter, and then when the magazines would no longer be magazines, but just a bunch of articles (ok, I was no long a subscriber when they announced this, but it doesn't help any), and on top of it all, like has been stated numerous times, the not so subtle reduction in content size and quality of Dragon and Dungeon.

The problem really is, they come out with "more comunication", and everyone just takes that as the "final word", and now everything should be ok, because someone with a "_WotC" has made a statement.  I say that's a steaming load.

So, maybe you can feel content for them to wait until March (or so they say...) to "right the ship", but when March isn't smooth sailing, and they say "we're almost ready", will you be content to just wait even more?
As a paying customer, yes you can ask and demand more

Of course you can demand it but unless Wizards of the Coast actually has a domain over the space time contiuum it ain't gonna happen. So you have a choice: man up and take the news into consideration or whine about it like a grade schooler.
As a paying customer, yes you can ask and demand more

Of course you can demand it but unless Wizards of the Coast actually has a domain over the space time contiuum it ain't gonna happen. So you have a choice: man up and take the news into consideration or whine about it like a grade schooler.

Perhaps if WotC had actually "manned up" and enforced their deadlines in the first place, people wouldn't be so upset. 

Of course as long as people are willing to accept sub-standard service and declining quality of said products, nothing will change.

No one said anything about it being acceptable...not even Steve. What we did get was communicatin, an apology of sorts, and an assurance that they were working on correcting the problem. No amount of complaining will alter the utcome after the fact.

People have complained abut the late articles, and Wizards has acknowledged. Nothing more constructive can be gained on that issue at this point.

As for the complaint abut reduced content...that has never been addressed by Wizards...so let your voices be heard.
Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg

The new procedures that we implemented at the beginning of the month accomplished their chief objective, which is to raise quality and cut down the number of corrections. So far, we've had to make just three corrections in January, and they were minor: we adjusted the prices of a consumable item in the Kord article, bumped the DCs of a disease by 1 in the Mistwatch article, and we'll probably loosen up some of the prerequisites in the eladrin knight article in response to forum feedback. Those fixes were (or will be) implemented within days of the articles' appearance rather than waiting until the end of the month. That's a big step forward. 

Is it?

You simply created an incredible bottleneck, with the requirement of almost everything requiring R&D seal of approval before delivery, with the side effect of delaying even the few things that do not require such procedure (like the ToC).

With this new "improved" procedure we get more late articles, no compilations and an impossible way to follow updates on content, which still happen.

You can ask for a refund.

They advertised 120 pages per month when you subscribed.  Did they deliver 120 pages in January?  Did you pay them for January?  When a company does not deliver an advertised product that's been paid for, they refund or they get sued.

If they deny you a refund for January, escalate the ticket.  Inform them you are seeking legal counsel.  Hasbro will not allow themselves to be taken to court over the chump change they make with DDI: you'll get your refund (and they'll get the message).
With this new "improved" procedure we get more late articles, no compilations and an impossible way to follow updates on content, which still happen.

R&D's track record is abysmal.  In the latest book there was a class released where 100% of its attack powers were unable to function alongside its striker feature.  I spotted that 5 minutes after the preview for the class was released, how did they miss it?

R&D's track record is abysmal.  In the latest book there was a class released where 100% of its attack powers were unable to function alongside its striker feature.  I spotted that 5 minutes after the preview for the class was released, how did they miss it?

Im convinced that if they do have a R&D, that it is the same as the person writing the book.

And it oddly only doesnt work due to the change to free actions that happened to in like june or august. I'd say its possible that the book was already printed at the time, but I will say, it just emphasizes how silly that change was.
Perhaps if WotC had actually "manned up" and enforced their deadlines in the first place, people wouldn't be so upset

I agree but it doesn't change the fact that it's impossible for Wizards to do anything about it now. I'm all for holding people accountable but Wizards, at this point in time, literally CANNOT do anything more than they are doing now. It's completely 100% impossible.

So that leaves you with a choice. You can decide this is unacceptible and ask for a refund/cancel your account/or whatever or you can decide it's not really that big a deal in the scheme of things and keep your sub.

Now, if you want to keep your sub, you can ask that they don't do it again but that's far different than what you're posting.
Perhaps if WotC had actually "manned up" and enforced their deadlines in the first place, people wouldn't be so upset

I agree but it doesn't change the fact that it's impossible for Wizards to do anything about it now. I'm all for holding people accountable but Wizards, at this point in time, literally CANNOT do anything more than they are doing now. It's completely 100% impossible.

So that leaves you with a choice. You can decide this is unacceptible and ask for a refund/cancel your account/or whatever or you can decide it's not really that big a deal in the scheme of things and keep your sub.

Now, if you want to keep your sub, you can ask that they don't do it again but that's far different than what you're posting.

But they can do more.  I know that in my job, if I know that I have "x" that needs to be done by "insert date", and I don't, then I'm held accountable.  There seems to be a lack of accountability with WotC now.  Everything falls back to "R&D".  If they are undermanned, either cut back (even more?) on the content (which will make everyone angry) or get more people to work on content.  It's not impossible.

I already let my account lapse, back in December/January when this all started.  I asked for a refund and was told all I could was cancel my account, that there were no refunds now.

So, I did make my choice, and I chose not to fund something that was not what it was, not what was told we would get, and was/is becoming vastly inferior to what was already being given. 

Trust me, I would LOVE to be able to say that I was still an insider, that I got the content still, but I am not willing, nor will I be willing to pay for the content and vastly inferior "tools" that they are giving to paying subscribers now.
Thank you Steve for the heads-up.

The situation is critical. I  know you know. Please get back on track fast.

Dragon/Dungeon is vital and important for DDi and D&D.

WoTC could cool things down by putting back the compile PDF as the many many people voiced their opinions for. A start in the right direction and a show of goodwill...

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Surprise surprise, guess what's not up by the end of the weekend?

No ToC or list for the week. February is looking like one content packed month.

Oh c'mon, it was Super Bowl weekend....I mean, did you really think that they would actually put anything up on such an important weekend?  They only had a week prior to get the ToC up before...maybe it's still going through R&D to make sure it's good to go.  But I'm sure it'll be up....soon...

Oh c'mon, it was Super Bowl weekend....I mean, did you really think that they would actually put anything up on such an important weekend?  They only had a week prior to get the ToC up before...maybe it's still going through R&D to make sure it's good to go.  But I'm sure it'll be up....soon...

Wait, the ToC is going through R&D? I mean their just article names, surely they can come up with article names in the given time.
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Maybe Aaron's sarcasm was a bit too subtle for some people!
Maybe Aaron's sarcasm was a bit too subtle for some people!

Maybe it might be, but I'm betting lokiare is playing along...and to think, some people say I'm not subtle!  Subtle like a baseball bat to the side of the head! Laughing

But in all honesty, I would LOVE to have DDI be back to where it was, and I would be more than willing to resubscribe and support WotC.  I very much enjoy 4E (Essentials I'm lukewarm on), and I don't want DDI to fail, or to be a continuing disappointment, but unfortunately since, oh September, it's been one false promise (lie?) or disappointment after another.  I really, really hope that they do "get back on track" by March, but if January and now February are any indication, I'm not seeing much chance of that.  Of course, I'm not wearing rose-tinted glasses like some people are either.
actually I'm gonna build on that...

So you are behind on a monthly deadline by a week.
You, i guess, only have to edit this **** before you put it out. after all it's only the new editing schedule that has delayed things so the article was still submitted on time, right?
You've had a week to screen and edit it.  I'm not in publishing, but it strikes me (and I may be wrong) that editting shouldn't be the longest process in the world. It certainly shouldn't take 7 days to edit a 5000 word article. Honestly it shouldn't take that long to write the ****. Failing that, pay people overtime get them to come in read it at the weekend. If it's taking longer than that to edit how do you ever hope to get anything out on time ever? really i don't know how many people you're putting this past, but if each one is taking more than a couple of days dedicated time then you are f**cked.

Failing that, even if you can't publish the last article from 395/186 that shouldn't stop you posting Febuary's contents. 

It's obvious they're got fewer resources than they used to, and they're putting it through a more rigorous process before release.  Whatever else is going on behind the scenes, I suspect they just don't have the manpower to do what they've said they're going to do.

The miserable state of the online CB is likely due to the same core problem. 
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
No one said anything about it being acceptable...not even Steve. What we did get was communicatin, an apology of sorts, and an assurance that they were working on correcting the problem. No amount of complaining will alter the utcome after the fact.

People have complained abut the late articles, and Wizards has acknowledged. Nothing more constructive can be gained on that issue at this point.

As for the complaint abut reduced content...that has never been addressed by Wizards...so let your voices be heard.

When I order a pizza from somewhere that I've gotten it from before, and it shows up a hour late, cold and then with fewer of each the toppings I order vs what I would of gotten the year before,  an "apology of sorts" isn't really going to make the cold late pizza sitting in front of me any better.

"I'm sorry" has never really fixed any thing, the only thing that I know that does fix something is carrying tho with the actions  of what you said you were going to do.

Yes, we can. Look what happened with FF14 was messed up, they pledged to fix it AND they haven't charged anyone a monthly fee until they do. Wizards could realize that things are just really messed up, with the OCB being slow, buggy and missing key features, the magazines having terrible problems just getting mediocre content up on time, and the offline adventure tools not having an update in forever, and not charge people until they fix it. The only part of DDI that is working the way it is advertised is the Compendium. But they keep charging for a product that is worse in almost every way than it was 7 or 8 months ago, and even then the magazines were beginning to show a drop in the quality and quantity of articles.

Steve

Hey Steve,

It's now 10:08 pm EST, and there is still no Eye on Dark Sun posted up yet, nor has the ToC for February been posted yet.  Perhaps you could come on here in an official capacity and issue an apology and an update for the latest in missing "magazine" content from JANUARY, as well as the information that should have been posted last week.  Instead of continuing to say that the EoDS article will "count" towards January's "magazine" page count, you might as well official either:  a. cancel it, or b. add it to February.

Dungeon February ToC is up.

Dragon February ToC is not.

Edit: Correction, Dragon ToC IS up, but Players section current issue link isnt updated.
Dungeon February ToC is up.

Dragon February ToC is not.

Actually, the Dragon ToC is....and both only a week late!  Wow....getting better?
And they return to the useless [Month] Adventure Hooks, which show the seeds for.... November adventures?!

And they wont even make an appearance this week....
and it's a grand total of 19 articles. Just plain rubbish.
Eye on Dark Sun is up and adds some nice lore, hooks, and ideas for a part of Athas that has had little coverage in the past. More!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Eye on Dark Sun is up and adds some nice lore, hooks, and ideas for a part of Athas that has had little coverage in the past. More!

8 pages, new sorcerer-king, a new type of templar, some descriptions of the city-state, and no map?  It seems to be a nice article, but c'mon, this was delayed another week why?