02/04/2010 LD: "A Better, Creepier World"

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
In Mirrodin Besieged, we tried to avoid making the strongest Limited cards things that killed all your opponent's stuff with upside.

haha
Black Sun's Zenith
Massacre Wurm

Umm, fail much?

Perhaps you meant you wanted some rares that did things besides killing your opponents stuff, but the best ones are still the ones that kill everything, even if you do have to kill all your stuff to also kill all their stuff.
The end is always nigh.
That's in black, though. "Kill everything" is half the point.
What's up with the Juggernaut's changed flavor text?
I didn't like Scars limited very much, but as I said at the prerelease, it felt like Besieged really helped fix most of the problems that Scars limited had. Of course, there is still the Infect tension, which is the set's major weakness, and the thing that will make me happy to see the back side of Mirrodin.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q

It's funny?

It sure made me laugh.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.

It's funny?

It sure made me laugh.

Yeah, it's awesome.  I started laughing, then came here to see if other people had noticed it.

Incidentally, Scourge Servant is five mana, not four as it says in the article.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

It's funny?

It sure made me laugh.

Yeah, it's awesome.  I started laughing, then came here to see if other people had noticed it.

Same here. Things like this always make me wonder if there are other Easter eggs out there that I do miss.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.

Hey, Tom, I'll play more 2HG Limited if Wizards will support the format and make sure there are tournaments to play in.  I promise to bring at least one casual friend along with me who probably wouldn't play in an event that month otherwise.

Please?  Pretty please?

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I have never even heard of a 2HG Limited format.  Just goes to show how little support it gets.  As for the number of poison counters, I would say 10 or 15.  The formats with greater than 20 life don't often see poison decks and there really isn't enough poison made to really worry about it.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I have never even heard of a 2HG Limited format.  Just goes to show how little support it gets.  As for the number of poison counters, I would say 10 or 15.  The formats with greater than 20 life don't often see poison decks and there really isn't enough poison made to really worry about it.

Poison basically won the only major 2HG limited event ever, and it was in a set with significantly less poison (although it was also poison nobody else really wanted). I'm guessing you probably see a lot of poison in 2HG limited, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to play poison in 2HG limited if its possible. 10 seems very low, although 15+ is probably fine.
Black Sun's Zenith
Massacre Wurm

Umm, fail much?

Perhaps you meant you wanted some rares that did things besides killing your opponents stuff, but the best ones are still the ones that kill everything, even if you do have to kill all your stuff to also kill all their stuff.

Seems to me you failed to comprehend what Tom wrote.

"In Mirrodin Besieged, we tried to avoid making the strongest Limited cards things that killed all your opponent's stuff with upside. I won't pretend that we didn't make any cards like that, but we carefully considered what kind of effects to do before we did. In the end, the cards in Mirrodin Besieged that do this are Phyrexian Rebirth, which at least kills all but one of your own creatures, and Massacre Wurm, which only kills smaller creatures and shows up less often due to being mythic rare. Black Sun's Zenith also exists, of course, but it doesn't leave your creatures unscathed."
That Juggernaut is amazing. I'd buy like 8 if it had that flavor text
"One of the side effects of the focus on cheaper infect creatures in Scars of Mirrodin was that Constructed infect decks leaned toward being fast blitz decks without much ability to craft a late game. Erik likes his Constructed decks to have a little more staying power than that, and he knows that many strong competitive Magic players feel the same way."

I liked the blitz style as it ended games quickly and your opponent had little chance to do anything. That said I feel that if infect will not be a solo game stradegy since red battle cry is too fast. If your infect deck has too much staying power it will be wiped out by control wrath effects anyways.

They also made it difficult to make good black green deck since the good black infect creatures for besiged have BB in their cost and the only dual colored BG land being verdant catacombs.
Is there a reason why it shouldn't just be a 'clean' 15?

In 2HG, it's no harder to poison than it is to hit for damage, is it?
2HG limited is virtually non-existent in my area since the state-wide prereleases were nixed (there's probably one or two floating around somewhere). I still think 15 counters is the right call; it seems far too easy to get away with both players working to pile 10 counters on too fast, and I've heard nothing but complaints about it from the people who have tried it.
I actually thought the Besieged environment was pretty fast at the prerelease. And it's 15 poison counters in 2HG (It changes with proportion to your life total).
I like how hard Tom tries to make people like infect. It's kind of cute.
Casual players literally do not exist.

Going forward, please read the article in question before reacting to my posts.

Alternatively, you could try to do a better job of putting words in my mouth. 
I always read LD. You made a ridiculous blanket statement that is no narrower for being in any context you made it in. "People" don't dislike infect, "people who play Constructed in highly competitive environments" do. I know what you meant, but it isn't what you said.
You don't get it. 

My point is that Tom has been pushing infect noticably harder than he normally pushes block mechanics in his articles. Not that subsets of players don't play with the ability. I'm critiquing the article in a thread about the article. I am not critiquing the ability, nor the players that happen to like it. I'm not even trying to count the number of players that may or may not like the ability.

There was no other context except what your imagination fabricated for you.

You're right, I read a statement that somebody was trying to make people like something and inferred that it meant that people didn't already like it. I must have completely lost my mind.
I wouldn't go that far, but it is at least the second time you've let your imagination run wild in reaction to something I said. I don't mind if people disagree so that they understand what it is they are disagreeing with.
I wouldn't go that far, but it is at least the second time you've let your imagination run wild in reaction to something I said. I don't mind if people disagree so that they understand what it is they are disagreeing with.

I was being sarcastic? Again, I know what you were trying to say, you just said it in a way that sounded really dismissive of something I and many people really like.

I may overreact to you, but trust me, I can't afford to ignore the possibility that anybody is a chauvinistic competitive player who has absolutely no care for nor concept of what everybody else likes, because those people are oozing out of every crack in the walls around here.

Hey, Tom, I'll play more 2HG Limited if Wizards will support the format and make sure there are tournaments to play in.  I promise to bring at least one casual friend along with me who probably wouldn't play in an event that month otherwise.

Please?  Pretty please?

Wizards actually gives a lot of support to 2HG sealed. It's one of the legal formats for FNM, prerelease main events, and launch parties. That's more local-level support than Block, Legacy, Extended, Vintage, trios, or even technically regular old booster draft!

If your local store is not running 2HG sealed events, you need to talk to the tournament organizer to find out how that can change. The tools are there, and the free Wizards-provided prize support is there. If you're serious about wanting to play this format, talk to your local store TO and make it happen.
DCI Level 2 Judge WPN Advanced TO RPGA Herald-Level GM
Sign In to post comments