Magic Weekend Paris 2011

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
Closest thing to an explanation for why no QF from Kelly Digges on the DailyMTG twitterfeed.

twitter.com/#!/dailymtg/status/364289676...

So, it's a planning failure. Still, it's hard to imagine they couldn't think of *something*.

They should have just have some of the quarters played in a different room, and switch tables between matches.

Hopefully this kind of amateurish coverage will never happen again.

Rietzl is a Beast. And he's contesting all the cliffs.
Is Rietz playing the semi's and his draft at the same time? How did he win game one and then play games 1 and 2 of the GrandPrix and then go back to the semi's for game two?

Am I missing someone? Please enlighten me.
Is Rietz playing the semi's and his draft at the same time? How did he win game one and then play games 1 and 2 of the GrandPrix and then go back to the semi's for game two?

Am I missing someone? Please enlighten me.

It's not uncommon for them to pause one quarter/semi while they cover another so that both can get covered.  I expect they're combining that attitude with the desire to keep Rietzl alive in the GP.  They wouldn't hold up the whole show, but if a pause between games lets Rietzl go play while they still have Stark/Nakada to cover, then it's a win/win.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Guys: it's F3

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Not showing quarterfinals was really bad You could've at least played two QF matches at a time and then made the videos downloadable so we could watch them later. Saying "Rietzl was in trouble against Wurmcoil Engine but found a way to win", describing 5 games in one sentence and then interviewing one of the players feels insulting towards the people watching at home. Usually we see SEVEN matches, now we got only THREE. That's chopping more than 50% of them off. I'm pretty pissed off.
I think Rietzl overextended into Day of Judgment multiple times.
Could be though that if he didn't, Gideon might have done him in too.
Again, this just boggles my mind.  Why are you not covering the GP top 8?  You're already freaking there with cameras set up!

There is no excuse for how poor the coverage is, and in this case it's not even greedy players asking for more stuff for no reason!   The Pro Tour is a marketing tool!  They have the Pro Tour so that people want to buy their cards and qualify for it, and they run it at a loss for that reason.  So instead of showing good video coverage of it, so that people can say "Oh, wow, look how cool that is, I really wish I was there" and then trudge off to go buy some cards or practice on MODO, they do nothing until the semifinals.

Also, cost is clearly not an issue.  GGSLive gives full video coverage to events that have a TOTAL prize purse the size of about what 16th place at the PT gets.  They operate off of freaking donations.  If you are going to run a million dollar commercial, which is essentially what a Pro Tour is, it would make sense THAT YOU LET YOUR POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS SEE IT!!!!
Just wanted to say that Brian David Marshall's deck techs are unwatchable now that they he flashes the cards by the table. He should go back to showing the deck as a whole on the table.
Again, this just boggles my mind.  Why are you not covering the GP top 8?  You're already freaking there with cameras set up!

Indeed. This, combined with the failure to show the quarterfinals really puts the WOTC coverage team into a bad light.

What's even more amazing is that after years and years of practice, we still get lengthy shots of players faces/other irrelevant things when there's plenty of action happening on the table. And it doesn't help that BDM and Rich aren't addressing those plays either. Time to get a new camera director perhaps?

A really disappointing weekend, coverage-wise.
Well you guys sure aren't making me sorry I had to sleep through the matches. In fact I am pretty sure I won't be watching the archives this time. Congratulations to the winner, whoever that was.

They're going to have to get this down sooner or later.
I don't understand how GGsLive can show up to an event at any location, and having feature coverage of every round, with no difficulty.  And WotC goes and hosts an ENORMOUS event, and they can't figure out how to put some of the Quarterfinals in a different location.  And then, when it's over, they can't figure how to put the damned videos on the website.

Every damn time.

Seriously, guys.  This is not rocket science.  The GGsLive guys pull it off with donations.  You can't pull it off with full-time employees and a real damn budget.  I mean, what the hell?

WotC's coverage has always been poor, but now we have something to compare it to, and it's just damn embarassing.
Half-assed web-content from wizards! What a surprise! Excuse me while I go use the awesome flash content on the main site, cool features of the wizards community "beta" like that error message you constantly get when you try to open the forums, and play in some leagues on magic online, facilitated by its excellent UI.
I just wanted to take a minute to thank eveyone who worked hard all weekend to bring us coverage of Magic Weekend. It really looked like an awesome event. I watched as much coverage as my bedtime would allow, and I enjoyed it. Yes, not everything was perfect, but it's clear a lot of people put a ton of effort into it, and I didn't want that to go unrecognized.

Also, if my life had internal running commentary by Rich Hagon, I think I'd be very happy.
I just wanted to take a minute to thank eveyone who worked hard all weekend to bring us coverage of Magic Weekend. It really looked like an awesome event. I watched as much coverage as my bedtime would allow, and I enjoyed it. Yes, not everything was perfect, but it's clear a lot of people put a ton of effort into it, and I didn't want that to go unrecognized.

Also, if my life had internal running commentary by Rich Hagon, I think I'd be very happy.

"The ceiling appears to be leaking..."

"No, it's not. We've looked into it and it's not. "
I am sure that MattT is correct that a ton of effort went into organising the coverage, I am sure that is true and I also recognise it... but in a way that just makes it more disappointing.

For a while the coverage was telling me that Ben Stark won the Grand Prix for example, and the fact we only got to see 3 out of a total of 14 top 8 matches from the weekend really is a shame. Ok, we did get the POTY showdown but I don't think I'm in a minority when I say I'd rather have had the PT quarters and the GP top 8.

It is remarkable that the ggslive crew do seem to be more efficient despite being supposedly "amateur" (with great respect to those involved). Perhaps - and this is a serious suggestion - Wizards could outsource the organisation of the coverage to them?

Sadly, a lack of planning and foresight on the Pro Tour/Grand Prix circuit is not new. At GP Bochum last year Wizards seemed to be taken by surprise when the German authorities asked them not to give out cash prizes, causing an eleventh hour change to the prize structure, despite the exact same thing happening at the previous German GP only 18 months previously (and the fact that the German Nationals does not give out cash prizes either).

Come on Wizards, the Pts and GPs are your showcase, your chance to show the world that Magic is something close to a legitimate sport, porfessionally run and organised. I recognise that the economic climate is bad but you are often telling us how Magic is selling more than ever, and that it's Hasbro's most profitable brand etc, so how about we funnel just a little of those revenues into getting the coverage of your big showpiece occasions really tight, eh?
"Personally, I believe $50 is the roof that someone will pay for a Standard card, Mythic or otherwise." - Ben Bleiweiss, StarCity Games ----------------------------------------------------------
I'm watching Ben Stark's limited vid (www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...) and I am disappointed.  That he doesn't value Phyrexian Rager is silly, especially with a Flesheater Imp in his deck.  Draw cards, provide a blocker and sac fuel for a later infect bomb and you DON'T take it?  He did well, yes, and the Black didn't flow later but that could have changed if he hand't passed the Ragers.
Why are there no videos for the quarter finals!? perhaps the most interesting matches due to deck variance.  Also I remember hearing several times that videos of the POTY gameswould be posted, what is these half-assed overview videos?  Every pro tour in the past has had every moment of the top 8 up for view, why is this one differnt?
They said there wasn't enough room for four tables and all the cameras. So it was a logistics issue. As bad as the Top 4 coverage apparently was, I guess that in the end they saved themselves a few more rants than they would have had with an actual Top 8.

Not sure why they would not have the complete POTY coverage. I saw games 2-6 (was late getting to it) so I know the footage exists - bad footage, but footage nonetheless.
One thing that kinda bothered me about the PotY showdown was the limited portion of it.

The cardpools players received ended up heavily favoring Brad Nelson... duplicate sealed would have been a far better option.

Of course, Winston draft would have been even better.
Then, all of a sudden, the game came to a head. Mori calmly tapped five mana and dropped aContagion Engine onto the table. -1/-1 counters went everywhere, reducing Bulger's board to a 1/1 Paladium Myr.

WTF... since when did Engine cost 5.  Mori is a hack!!!
Sign In to post comments