What is your favorite origin?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

My current character is a gelatinous rat swarm, which naturally became a swarm of gummy bears. They rock a sniper rifle and an Indiana Jones replica whip, with a side quest to find Indiana's fedora.

Their back story is something like this:

Several realities had a Fargo movie theater that was playing Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and several realities enjoyed those squishy, gooey, adorable gummy bears. Over the course of a few weeks, the amount of yummy gummy bears to get stuck to the carpet and seats became enough for a small army. Thanks to the Big Mistake, those sweet little squishies came to life in one massive swarm of deadly cuteness and had a strong admiration for their savior, Indiana Jones.

So, what is your favorite origin?

My favorite origin (if I were a player instead of GM) would be Speedster. I really like the extra movement, and 4 attacks with the Expert power is nice.

My favorite contemplative combinations are:

• Speedster Wheeled: Knight Rider

• Shapeshifter Wheeled: Transformers

• Seismic Yeti: The Thing

• Plant Yeti: Swamp Thing

I think it would be neat to make an origin X origin chart with what archetype / representative each combination generates.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
My favorite so far has been doppleganger. It combines very well with most origins, and is very powerful even with house rule limitations/interpretations on gear & power use. (My group basically just says anything that he expends, counts as you expending).

I played a Telekinetic Doppleganger, which was a blast, and the origin itself combines with many of the move speed ones for HUGE increases in effective range, as well as having some great RP opportunities (like standing around a corner and making people think they're seeing ghosts)

Oh, and Seeker... those are some great combos ^^
It would have to be Doppelganger by far.  The greatest fun I've had to date in the new GW is with Clone 57B, my wandering vivisectionist from another planet (a doppelganger empath since alien wasn't an option at the time).  He routinely summoned Clone 57C and occasionally Clone 57D; We never speak about Clone 57a as that is is a tragic story that is still untold.

Anyway he kept dropping himself, bone-saw at the ready of course,  wherever there seemed to be a medical need, be that assisting an ally with some emergency care or removing unsightly limbs from the enemy (purely for research of course).  And one of his traveling companions was a doppelganger felinoid which just made things crazy since between the 2-4 of us a tremendous amount of the battlefield could be potentially disrupted from convenient enemy movement...
My favorite is rat swarm, simply because it allows for SO MANY clever ideas, almost none of which involve rats.

I'm still happy with my Ukla the Mok retread - a Giant Yeti. 

He breaks hearts, and structural supports, wherever he goes.  
Original Set: Rat Swarm - there is something endearing about a hive mind swarm of rats. Plus the pic in the book of the rats wearing little lab coats with utility belts cinched it.

Famine in Far-Go: Temporal - Stranded Time Traveller? The role playing posibilities are endless.

Legion of Gold: Reanimator - Imagine the possibilities of a Reanimator / Doppleganger =)

Effectiveness aside, I like Mythic.  It's Thor and we all know it.  Reanimated also seems fun.  The combination however would be mind blowingly awesome.  ZOMBIE THOR!!!!
Thor? I had not yet thought of Mythic that way. I'd thought of Percy Jackson, Hercules, Perseus, and a score of other god-mortal offspring, but not Thor. Now I have to expand my cache of story ideas!
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
One player in my group is playing Morgan Freeman as his Mythic character.
Thor? I had not yet thought of Mythic that way. I'd thought of Percy Jackson, Hercules, Perseus, and a score of other god-mortal offspring, but not Thor. Now I have to expand my cache of story ideas!

If memory serves, the flavor text associated with the Mythic Origin mentions something along the lines of a tall blonde godling.  Additionally, the expert power deals electric damage so to a Thor fan it just screams THOR!!!.

One player in my group is playing Morgan Freeman as his Mythic character.

That is bloody awesome.  What is his other origin?

If memory serves, the flavor text associated with the Mythic Origin mentions something along the lines of a tall blonde godling.  Additionally, the expert power deals electric damage so to a Thor fan it just screams THOR!!!.

It does describe that, but its among other examples. But the reference is VERY obvious.
'You might be. . . . a blonde-haired Nordic with a lantern jaw and a big hammer'
I like the combination of radioactive and felinoid. 

I shoot radioactive hairballs and curl up at the bottom of radioactive pits for a nice nap like a kitten in a sunbeam.

I've based the character upon the personality traits of my kitten, Taters.  All id. 
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
While I've never actually played as one, Mythic seems the most interesting as it basically takes one origins and turns it into a legendary/god charcater.

Felinoid - Bast or another Egyptian Cat-god
Yeti - The Wendigo
Demon - Satan
Android - Um...Memnarch?
Electrokinetic - Hoo boy, Thor, Zeus, really any thunder god...
Gelatinous - The Blob
Octopoid - Cthulhu
I've got a player who rolled a gelatinous android. He's a T-1000. Awesome.
gelatinous android. He's a T-1000

Love it! And this will be the BBEG in the next encounter series for my every-other-Tuesday-night game.

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
The Shapeshifter has to be the coolest for any campaign that is more than a "dungeon" crawl.

On a slap-stick note, redux Yeti origin as Honey Badger. If you aren't familiar (a lot of profanity, be warned): www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81bcjyfn6U
gelatinous android. He's a T-1000

Love it! And this will be the BBEG in the next encounter series for my every-other-Tuesday-night game.

Don't thank me. Thank James Cameron.
Sign In to post comments