Dragon 395 - Design & Development: Executioner Assassin

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragon 395
Design & Development: Mustering the Sword Guard

by Robert J. Schwalb and Stephen Schubert

The designer and developer of the eladrin knight talk about concept and execution.

Talk about this Article here.

Dragon 395
Design & Development: Executioner Assassin

The designer and developer of the eladrin knight talk about concept and execution.

you got my hopes up for the Executioner lol

should be for Sword Guard of Astrazalian

Dragon 395
Design & Development: Executioner Assassin

you got my hopes up for the Executioner lol

should be for Sword Guard of Astrazalian

thank you for pointing that out.
It also still needs to be fixed in the thread title as well.

I do like the flavor of a teleporting knight, though it seems to somewhat step on the toes of the Swordmage, while at the same time being a pretty limited build (available only to Eladrin Knights). Still, I do like seeing ways they expand the Essentials builds. It feels a lot easier to homebrew a unique build via the Essentials design, compared to the standard classes where you pretty much just need to develop a pile of powers. I do like the return to the more level based bonus system - at least, having it as an option is nice, that is.
It looks like there is a disconnect in editing between the design and development article and the actual powers for the eladrin knight. Robert mentions that feywild guardian "underscores the important of intelligence," and damage on a miss is "replaced with damage equal to the Intelligence modifier." Neither of these elements are in the actual power. He also calls the included stance flickering blade rather than glimmering blade.

This disconnect brings up the question of whether the posted powers are the edited version post design and development article, or if the posted powers did not incorporate the designer's final intent and this is a case similar to the premature posting of the eAssassin a few months ago.

Personally I hope it is the latter since the powers seems a little lackluster without the mentioned intelligence mods, but that's just my opinion.
It also still needs to be fixed in the thread title as well.

I do like the flavor of a teleporting knight, though it seems to somewhat step on the toes of the Swordmage, while at the same time being a pretty limited build (available only to Eladrin Knights). Still, I do like seeing ways they expand the Essentials builds. It feels a lot easier to homebrew a unique build via the Essentials design, compared to the standard classes where you pretty much just need to develop a pile of powers. I do like the return to the more level based bonus system - at least, having it as an option is nice, that is.

You hit on what I was thinking when I saw that Utility 2 power: "They killed the Myth Drannor swordmage and took his stuff."  But it is an expansion on Essentials, and interesting for that at least.

-Alveric
-Alveric "And the sword that had visited Earth from so far away smote like the falling of thunderbolts; and green sparks rose from the armour, and crimson as sword met sword; and thick elvish blood moved slowly, from wide slits, down the cuirass; and Lirazel gazed in awe and wonder and love; and the combatants edged away fighting into the forest; and branches fell on them hacked off by their fight; and the runes in Alveric's far-travelled sword exulted, and roared at the elf-knight; until in the dark of the wood, amongst branches severed from disenchanted trees, with a blow like that of a thunderbolt riving an oak tree, Alveric slew him."
Eladrin Knights can use their free skill training to take Arcana, other knights can get Arcana with a single feat or even a background, but only epic characters can tack on another race to use the powers as printed.  Their thinking on prereq design was backwards.

I also hated the line at the end "how easy it is to make new classes".  Are they flaunting their newfound laziness?  This isn't a new class, not even a new build, it's a new character, an out of the box Knight with 1 new at will trick and utilities swapped for Swordmage powers.  Shaman and Warlord were "new classes."
Eladrin Knights can use their free skill training to take Arcana, other knights can get Arcana with a single feat or even a background, but only epic characters can tack on another race to use the powers as printed.  Their thinking on prereq design was backwards.

I also hated the line at the end "how easy it is to make new classes".  Are they flaunting their newfound laziness?  This isn't a new class, not even a new build, it's a new character, an out of the box Knight with 1 new at will trick and utilities swapped for Swordmage powers.  Shaman and Warlord were "new classes."

+1
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

+1

If they call this a class, im worried about the vampire.

That said, as a homebrewer for classes, E style is nice. And thats probably one of the few nice things I will ever say about essentials.