Legion of Gold - anyone got it yet?

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just curious is it is out yet and if anyone has it? If so tell us about it please.
www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/p...

Legion of Gold doesn't release until mid-February. I very much doubt that even the early release stores have gotten their shipments yet.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
Not yet. My local game store gets it between the 5th and the 8th, and I plan on picking it up ASAP. I was pretty impressed with Famine in Fargo, especially the monsters and cant wait to see the new ones in LoG.
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Rumor has it that some of the GMs at the D&D Experience con may get early copies of Legion of Gold...

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Rumor has it that some of the GMs at the D&D Experience con may get early copies of Legion of Gold...

Yea, we did.
I picked it up there. I have not had too much time to look through it but at a glance it looks awesome.

Comes with 5 new Alpha and 5 new Omega cards too.

I will give some more details when I get home from work and can actually look at it.
Does it have any maps for the barony of horn?
That's pretty cool, serok. Can't wait to see what you have to share!
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
Good deal, Serok.
Well lets see here...

The new set includes 8 new origins.

My favorite of which is the Reanimator which is basically a necromancer who creates minions at will who have their own set of actions and act directly after the necromancer in inititive order.

There are 5 new Alpha and 5 new Omega cards like I mentioned before.

the vocations are pretty neat. They are 3 tiered sets of feats that gives you minor bonuses. You get a feat slot at 4th, 7th and 10th. You can either take 1st 2nd and 3rd tier feats from one vocation or mix and match (1st of 3 vocations, 1st and 2nd of 1 vocation and the 1st of another)

There are mounted combat rules. One of the vocations "Beast Rider" enhances your mounted combat.
I am a little disappointed that there are no mounts in the book.

There is a 6th - 7th level adventure in the back of the book as well as details on Moon Zone 9 (which I believe was a preview)

it comes with the tokens and poster maps much like the first 2 sets.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Does it have any maps for the barony of horn?

Looking through the adventure in the back it deals with the Barony of Horn.

There is a small region map of it. I assume the poster maps are of it as well but are also generic enough to be used elsewhere.
Any aquatic origins or creatures?
I'm working on a couple, but nothing done yet.
Any aquatic origins or creatures?

There is an octopus origin but for some strange reason it is not aquatic.

Eight new origins?  Eight?

Does that strike anyone else as a bit...random?  Why eight?  If they weren't going to do another set of twenty, why not at least do ten, and then later release another ten to create a full list?

It just seems...bizzare.  Makes it feel like it was released before it was ready. I'm not saying that is the case, only that it kind of *seems* that way.

Meh.  Regardless, I'm still excited about it, and will still pick it up. Don't worry, Gamma Terra, I still love you.

Edit:  Oh, and just so I don't appear ungrateful, thank you WotC, for including the Alpha and Omega cards! That was awesome, and unexpected.  I can't find them where I live, not even at my local comic/gaming store.  They don't carry them.  Guess there's not enough shelf space due to the 30 tons of MTG cards that need to be merchandised. Tongue out
I suspect that when they planned out the number of origins, they went for a round 50. We have 20 + 20 + 8 + 1 currently, which comes to 49. Presumably #50 will be Pure Strain Human or something. At least, thats my opinion.
48 works great for me.

I've lined up all 40 of the origins in my custom character sheet thus far, and the players roll a d6 and a d20. Odd is 1-20, and even is 21-40 for the primary origin. Do it again for the secondary origin. That's your set. The only thing I've really changed from the core rules is that you can choose engineered human if you roll the same *number* on the d20, but different numbers on the d6 (i.e., choose engineered human even if the two origins are from two different sources).

Once I get the Legion of Gold origins, I'll go with the d12 and a d4, numbering the origins 1-1 to 1-12, 2-1 to 2-12, etc. This will also give the playes a 1 in 12 chance of being able to choose an engineered human instead of only a 1 in 20 chance.

Note: Unless *both* the d4 and the d12 rolls are identical, the player has a *choice* of going with engineered human or keeping the rolled result.

Tomorrow night, I have a new campaign kicking off, with five brand new players, only one of which has ever played Gamma World before. Brand new, random-in-all-ways, 1st level Gamma World characters. Yay me!

(Unfortunately, we'll only have 40 origins then. But character death is not unheard of.)
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Say, can we get a description of the eight origins to help us get a better understanding?

Sad that there are no mounts in the book...
A couple more questions to add to the pile:

• Any new equipment/random junk tables?

• Any vehicle rules?

• Are there "official" rules for randomly generating from 48 origins, and do they address the impact having 48 origins has on generating the engineered human origin?

Thanks for postng man!
I suspect that when they planned out the number of origins, they went for a round 50. We have 20 + 20 + 8 + 1 currently, which comes to 49. Presumably #50 will be Pure Strain Human or something. At least, thats my opinion.

Sorry, I get the first 20 and the Fargo 20 and the +8 from Legion of Gold...

But what's the extra +1 you were referring to?  I think I missed something.

Engineered Human

Engineered Human

Oh.  Duh.  For some reason, I was counting Engineered Human as one of the original 20, but of course you are correct: it's technically the 21st origin in the original book.

Don't know what I was thinking.  I blame the radiation.Cool
Don't know what I was thinking.  I blame the radiation.

Blame Obama or Bush (or both). Everybody else does.

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Blame Obama or Bush (or both). Everybody else does.

Well, sure, I blamed the radiation for my moment of insanity, but don't worry; I'll blame the politicians for creating the radioacivity in the first place. How's that?  

Oh, and evil nuns, too. And Ninjas. And probably some of my relatives.

Engineered Human

Oh.  Duh.  For some reason, I was counting Engineered Human as one of the original 20, but of course you are correct: it's technically the 21st origin in the original book.

Don't feel bad.  It took me longer than I'd care to admit to figure it out myself.

Now onto the questions.  Firstly, is there any charge rules (this is mostly a joke)? Secondly, is Anti-Matter Blaster as cool as it sounds?
Say, can we get a description of the eight origins to help us get a better understanding?

Sad that there are no mounts in the book...

Antimatter Blaster - WIS based Dark ranged character. Antimatter themed (obviously)

Demon - DEX based Dark has Darkvision and an at will that it a melee 2 attack and lets them teleport 3 as an effect.

Octopoid -INT based Bio  Non aquatic octopus uses it tenticles to attack and rearrange creatures

Photonic - INT based Dark Light based attacks

Reanimator - WIS based Psi Creates undead minions (why this isn't dark I don't know)

Regenerator - CON based Bio regenerated 1 + 1/2 level

Saurian - STR based Bio Anthropomorphic dinosaur with a charge attack

Vampiric - CHA based Psi Psychic vampire

Now onto the questions.  Firstly, is there any charge rules (this is mostly a joke)? Secondly, is Anti-Matter Blaster as cool as it sounds?

The Saurian has a charge attack where it moves 6 (not its speed) before the attack. There are no actual charge rules.

There is nothing that really sticks out to me on the antimatter blaster.
They dish out damage when they get hit with op attacks and can infligt on going 5 physical (save ends) with their utility. The flavor possibilities are endless dealing with antimatter though. 

There are mounted combat rules. One of the vocations "Beast Rider" enhances your mounted combat.
I am a little disappointed that there are no mounts in the book.

That sucks. I was really hoping for a lunar ostrich mount since they mentioned it on the "February and Beyond" page...

Demon
Octopoid
Photonic
Saurian
Vampiric

/Facepalm. And here I was hoping that there were more that weren't already themes in the Community Origins. All of the above have equivalents in theme.

Fortunately, from the sound of things the mechanics are different, so maybe I can get some people to reflavor thiers a bit to so theres not too much overlap Like Demon, Vampire, and Photonic sound like they have a similar theme to our Demonic, Vampiric, and Photokinetic, but different flavor/mechanics.
Damn, I'm SO close to pre-ordering this product. I just need to convince the kids that they want to play this instead of 4E. .
A couple more questions to add to the pile:

• Any new equipment/random junk tables?

• Any vehicle rules?

• Are there "official" rules for randomly generating from 48 origins, and do they address the impact having 48 origins has on generating the engineered human origin?

Thanks for postng man!

There are no equipment or junk tables.

Edit: look at that There actually is gear. It is in the section that talks about Moon Zone 9 so it is all moon related.

no vehical rules, just mount rules.

Yea there are tables to roll on to choose set then onto origin

As far as Engineered human it just says "If you roll the same origin twice"

Me personally, I created a table with all of the origins including engineered human and gave them 2 numbers out of 100. Roll a d100 reroll 1s and 100s and you have your origin.
On the content calendar there's a listing for an article about vehicles in Gamma World that's supposed to be coming out tomorrow or next Friday.
I thought it was odd that the Octopoid was INT based. You'd think it would be DEX based.

But I read somewhere that Octopuses are really intelligent. To the point where they can figure out how to solve puzzles and remember how to do it later, and learn it from watching other people do it.

Brian
I thought it was odd that the Octopoid was INT based. You'd think it would be DEX based.

But I read somewhere that Octopuses are really intelligent. To the point where they can figure out how to solve puzzles and remember how to do it later, and learn it from watching other people do it.

Brian

Got to YouTube and look for Octopuses opening jars or solving puzzles. You'll be amazed.
Got to YouTube and look for Octopuses opening jars or solving puzzles. You'll be amazed.

Or at least confirmed.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)

Or at least confirmed.

And want to own your own Octopus and call him/her/it something Cthulhu-ey.
Or name him Watchman-Plot-Device-Jr.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Here I was about to order my copy of LoG at amazon and I learn from the site that it's not getting released until March 1st! Is this a mistake or what? I've been reading the 15th this whole time. Did it get pushed back by WotC or amazon?
I was confused by that as well.  Amazon pushed back to March 1st.
I've got a Premiere store here, and I'm told that my LoG pre-order is in! Running to the FLGS now...
My shop is a Premiere store as well, called them. They said nothing yetFrown
I am hoping by next Friday though.....
Okay, opened my LoG box and punched out the tokens. Some quick impressions:

Map #1: Small village on one side; two lab-like environments on the other. One of the labs is mostly water, crossed by a couple of one-square-wide walkways.

Map #2: Lunar surface with two domes (one ruined) on one side; the other side is one large lab dominated by a big vat filled with green liquid. At the center of the vat is what appears to be a glass dome inside which floats an oversized brain.

Tokens: Four token sheets. Unfortunately, there's some repetition of artwork from previous sets: Orlens, Serfs, Froghemoth, androids and minions. I suppose that makes sense in that those creatures appear in the adventure. However, the numbering doesn't pick up where it left off, which means that you'll have (for example) two #1 Orlens. The Hawkoid and Radioactive characters are repeated as well. FWIW, the reused artwork has either been zoomed in or out a little bit, so you can (sorta) tell them apart. In addition to the new monsters, there are a bunch of insect and squidling minion tokens.

Alpha/Omega Cards:

1. Dark Matter Shroud

2. Evolved Equilibrium

3. Gas Emission

4. Mirror Body

5. Rain Caller

6. Mark III Scout Armor

7. Dimensional Shuntshield

8. Flamethrower

9. Flare Gun

10. Matter Bomb Prime

The latter is particularly nasty [6d6 + 2(level) fire/radiation damage], though I'm not sure that I understand how it can be a Close Burst 5 that targets "one creature."

New Creatures:

Bugaboo (beetles)
Buzzer (wasps)
Cyborg
Demon
Forestal (trees)
Gravorg (gravity lemurs)
Haunt
Klard Nar (moonbeast)
Lornak (land squid)
Modo (big lizard)
Saurian (raptors)
Space Eel
Star Slime
Thuu Marth (grey aliens)
Urd (flying fungi)
Webber (arachnoids) 

All but a handful of the new creatures are Level 7 or higher. Fully a quarter are Level 11 or higher, and one is Level 14!

More when I've had time to digest. 
Sign In to post comments