01/28/2010 LD: "What is it Good For?"

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I'm still not convinced it's worth my time and twenty-something dollars.

I'm still not convinced it's worth my time and twenty-something dollars.

Do you spend money on Magic cards normally? It's similar to that, with a guaranteed promo card.

If you don't spend time and money on Magic cards, why are you here?

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
"What is it good for?"

It's good for you.  It's good for me.

I was able to pre-order every card I want from the set at a reasonable price, so I get to play the Mirrans at the pre-release which I have limited strategies I actually like instead of the Phyrexians who have cards I need for constructed.
The end is always nigh.
Does anyone know if the MTGO Prerelease event will have the Mirran/Phyrexian option?
I'm surprised as many as 43 percent of people who answered the poll said they were playing Mirran; reading the columns and forums, it seems like everyone is playing Phyrexian. (Yeah, yeah, statistically invalid, reporting fallacy, etc. Still, that's the impression I've got so far.)

Personally, though, I'm planning to play Mirran. It wasn't an easy choice. There are a lot of reasons to prefer Phyrexian: I like black and green just fine, and it's fun to be the bad guy, and I still haven't got around to making a decent infect deck and this would be a good time, and Glissa, the Traitor looks both more fun and better than Hero of Bladehold.

But despite all that, I'm planning to play Mirran for several reasons.
(1) If everyone is playing Phyrexian, then Mirran is the underdog, and it's fun to be the underdog too.
(2) If everyone is playing Phyrexian, then they will be a little less prepared to play against Mirran.
(3) The Sealed tournaments, at least at the event I'm going to, give you a card pool of three packs of Mirrodin Besieged divided by watermark and three normal packs of Scars of Mirrodin. In Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrans made up 80 percent of the cards and Phyrexians only 20 percent. I'll have more Mirran cards to choose from.
(4) Even in the Phyrexian half of Mirrodin Besieged, fewer than half of all creatures have infect. Sure, there lots of ways to generate counters without actually calling it infect, but people playing Phyrexian have a good chance of having a mix of creatures that deal infect and normal damage. I can take 28 damage, gain no life and still win as long as only 9 points of it are poison counters.

So, long story short, I'm no expert of course but to me it looks like Mirrans have a slight advantage in a format that mixes Scars with Besieged.

(3) The Sealed tournaments, at least at the event I'm going to, give you a card pool of three packs of Mirrodin Besieged divided by watermark and three normal packs of Scars of Mirrodin. In Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrans made up 80 percent of the cards and Phyrexians only 20 percent. I'll have more Mirran cards to choose from.
(4) Even in the Phyrexian half of Mirrodin Besieged, fewer than half of all creatures have infect. Sure, there lots of ways to generate counters without actually calling it infect, but people playing Phyrexian have a good chance of having a mix of creatures that deal infect and normal damage. I can take 28 damage, gain no life and still win as long as only 9 points of it are poison counters.

So, long story short, I'm no expert of course but to me it looks like Mirrans have a slight advantage in a format that mixes Scars with Besieged.

Point 4 is true (and partially why I'm going Mirran, I also like the promo better and want to beat the socks off of my Phyrexia-loving friend), but as to point 3, Phy players can easily use Mirran Scars cards that fit their deck. Your deck does not need to be aligned.
Point 4 is true (and partially why I'm going Mirran, I also like the promo better and want to beat the socks off of my Phyrexia-loving friend), but as to point 3, Phy players can easily use Mirran Scars cards that fit their deck. Your deck does not need to be aligned.

I realize they can use Mirran cards from Scars (and if it sounded otherwise, I was being unclear, sorry about that), but how many such cards will fit their deck? For example, there are only six white Phyrexian cards and two red ones, so chances are slim that white and red will fit in a Phyrexian deck. And the Phyrexians have no metalcraft cards, which gives them fewer choices for metalcraft.

Again, sure, it can be done, but it seems a little less likely to me, that's all.
Do you spend money on Magic cards normally? It's similar to that, with a guaranteed promo card.

If you don't spend time and money on Magic cards, why are you here?

"Buying stuff" is a two-party transaction, with the burden on the seller to provide a product worth buying. Wizard's hasn't convinced me yet of Besieged's value for my money, especially when the huge majority of those cards "expire" the exact second the Sealed event ends.

Wizards is competing for my $24 with half a videogame, a couple of CDs, a Blu-Ray movie, or just piling twenty-four one-dollar-bills in a corner and lighting them on fire - all of which would likely be useful for far longer than a Sealed queue, and maybe even more entertaining overall.

especially when the huge majority of those cards "expire" the exact second the Sealed event ends.

...!?
What deck do put Ogre Resiter in, Monday morning?
especially when the huge majority of those cards "expire" the exact second the Sealed event ends.

...!?

My guess is he's whining about Besieged being too underpowered, or its mechanics being too parasitic (only good if combined with other things like it), or something like that. Who knows. As if that isn't an issue to at least some degree with every set.

Any deck that needs a high impedance.
My guess is he's whining about Besieged being too underpowered, or its mechanics being too parasitic (only good if combined with other things like it), or something like that. Who knows. As if that isn't an issue to at least some degree with every set.

Something like that, yes.
MBS doesn't really offer much to someone who doesn't play Standard and finds Limited boring.

Is a Ogre Potentiometer too much to ask for?

Is a Ogre Potentiometer too much to ask for?

They've said more than once that they don't like putting in variability for variability's sake; much like Living Weapon creates germ tokens and not a genericized token type, the ogres in Mirrodin are of fixed resistance. Maybe you like building your deck with a lot of moving parts, hoping to tweak various knobs and seeing what interesting results you can get; however, most of wizard's customers only need and want the basic resistor.
So a set of Ogre NAND Gates is right out, huh?

The local card shop (as in, the store that just relocated directly into my neighborhood and is now within walking distance) is actually holding the tournament at 1pm, so I can actually make it in if I want to. At the moment I don't. The last thing I need is more piles of useless cards when I can't even get rid of the boxes that were given to me for the sole purpose of getting rid of them.

But as I sit it is tempting to show up there and see if some Jets-Sharks thing is brewing between the factions. Either that or pop in my DVD of West Side Story. Actually, watching "America" for ten millionth time probably would be more entertaining than sauntering into a card shop just to see if there is a nerd fight between Pyrexians and Mirrans with people giving each other paper cuts from the promo cards. But I digress.

I found something interesting about some of the comments in the article.

Infect is one of this block's mechanics. It doesn't make much sense for us to do a mechanic through a whole block, but not have that mechanic affect Constructed.

Clash decks were sure big, no? How about Wither decks? And who could forget that Devour deck that everyone hated for the better part of two years? Yeah, gotta have those block mechanics in Constructed or it makes no sense. It's more like "Mark made sure we pushed it."

Contested War Zone reads pretty bad. We wouldn't have made it the way we did if it weren't for someone. If you're planning on attacking with a lot of creatures, consider finding out if that person is you.

This is the Mark Rosewater cop-out and we called it out years ago as such. (Well, not all of us.) The article could have at least explained why such a card was taking up a rare slot. Even the "for limited" line almost works here, as in the hands of an infector, this might actually be good every once in a while. (Which means it won't do much at the prerelease, which is what this article is about in the first place.) But if there is a real reason for the card to exist, particularly at rare, it should not have been a hardship to spell it out. Either that or just don't bring it up in a prerelease article.

Contested War Zone reads pretty bad. We wouldn't have made it the way we did if it weren't for someone. If you're planning on attacking with a lot of creatures, consider finding out if that person is you.

This is the Mark Rosewater cop-out and we called it out years ago as such. (Well, not all of us.) The article could have at least explained why such a card was taking up a rare slot. Even the "for limited" line almost works here, as in the hands of an infector, this might actually be good every once in a while. (Which means it won't do much at the prerelease, which is what this article is about in the first place.) But if there is a real reason for the card to exist, particularly at rare, it should not have been a hardship to spell it out. Either that or just don't bring it up in a prerelease article.

I felt like the implication of that paragraph on Contested War Zone was pretty clear, that the reason the card has a drawback that reads pretty bad is because development thinks its a pretty good card. Its a rare because its good and has a fairly complicated effect.
But as I sit it is tempting to show up there and see if some Jets-Sharks thing is brewing between the factions. Either that or pop in my DVD of West Side Story. Actually, watching "America" for ten millionth time probably would be more entertaining than sauntering into a card shop just to see if there is a nerd fight between Pyrexians and Mirrans with people giving each other paper cuts from the promo cards. But I digress.

Let me save you the trouble. Only a few people care about Mirrodin vs. Phyrexia, and almost zero of them will let that affect their faction choice.

Darksteel Plate is the worst crap rare I've seen since Moonlace, and you're complaining about Contested War Zone?
One With Nothing for the win!  Worst pack opening experience ever - opened a foil one with nothing.
So a set of Ogre NAND Gates is right out, huh?

Thats actually a pretty common rookie design trap - rather than starting simple and slowly building up to more complicated cards, you are jumping straight to the complicated cards. People get all excited making cards with exotic properties and materials, germanium low-dropout myr and whatnot, and assume that because they understand how all the flip-flops, demuxes, and god knows what else they designed work, that they will be understood by the players. They couldn't be further from the truth. Thankfully, the designers of Mirridon Besieged realized that once the public get used to working with resistors, they will be able to understand how other cards work.

Take this card for example, which is rumored to be in New Phyrexia / Mirridon Pure:

Ogre Capacitor     3RR
Creature - Ogre (C)
3/4

Notice how the card design elegantly shows the phase of the power/toughness shifting 90 degrees. Now THATS design! I personally am pretty excited where else they will take these ogres; I'm sure though, at thier own pace, they will do Turing proud.
You guys are making me want to build a deck that's designed to use a complex set of triggered abilities to turn the board state into a Turing-complete analog computer.

Let me save you the trouble. Only a few people care about Mirrodin vs. Phyrexia, and almost zero of them will let that affect their faction choice.

Thank you. I was very seriously expecting a gang war at every single card shop, and I appreciate you setting me straight. Over to the DVD player I go.

Darksteel Plate is the worst crap rare I've seen since Moonlace, and you're complaining about Contested War Zone?

Contested War Zone is mentioned specifically in this article. I am not calling out the card, I am calling out the article's mention of it. For that matter, Darksteel Plate is also a better card and a better rare.

Contested War Zone is mentioned specifically in this article. I am not calling out the card, I am calling out the article's mention of it. For that matter, Darksteel Plate is also a better card and a better rare.

I seriously doubt that. Contested War Zone at least has potential as a sideboard card vs control - maybe not, but we'll see, I guess - whereas Darksteel Plate has no serious constructed potential whatsoever. It's just a Timmy-er card that's "all upside". 

I seriously doubt that. Contested War Zone at least has potential as a sideboard card vs control - maybe not, but we'll see, I guess - whereas Darksteel Plate has no serious constructed potential whatsoever. It's just a Timmy-er card that's "all upside". 

I see no reason not to play Darksteel Plate in every EDH deck of mine. I can see it being a pretty popular casual card.

People play with Shield of Kaldra; the Plate is way better in every instance that doesn't involve making Kaldra.  Equip it to your Magus of the Disk and make everyone at the table hate you.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

I share FieryBalrogs opinion.

The plate is (speaking of powerlevel) utterly garbage - while contested warzone is a powerful card, which don´t really needs to be defended in this article. It is an uncounterable, 1 mana Orcish Oriflamme - which you can use in every aggro deck and still acts as a land if needed. Yes, in the wrong deck its drawback can be heavy (you need creatures and often can´t risk playing it immediately), but for a land its amazing flexible and powerful.

Maybe its because my casual playgroup mostly consists of contructed/tournament players but such slow and easily disrupted "combos" (Plate & Magus) will simply not work in our multiplayer (or even 1vs1) - games.

In my opinion Contested Warzone is the much better and more interesting card, while the plate is a boring & unimaginative equipment. The warzone just offers so much more possibilities than wasting design space for an effect which in most cases don´t even affect the board.

As far as I'm concerned I really want to see wotc designing more cards like these - powerful/interesting cards with certain drawbacks instead of only "all upside"-cards. I believe if some cards/effects only come at a price you can create more tension and diversion  in the game.

Remember, guys: Not everyone is a Spike.
Remember, guys: Not everyone is a Spike.

This. There is more to making a set than pleasing Standard players. Darksteel Plate has an obvious audience and will please that audience. CWZ is weaker than it could have been and the best anyone can say about it is that it "might" make a sideboard.

And when I hold it up next to other nonbasic lands that are rare and uncommon, I see nothing about the card that warrants this as a rare.

So, yes, Darksteel Plate is the better card and the better rare.
I felt like the implication of that paragraph on Contested War Zone was pretty clear, that the reason the card has a drawback that reads pretty bad is because development thinks its a pretty good card. Its a rare because its good and has a fairly complicated effect.

Honestly I don't see anything complex about it. If there isn't a limited concern this could have been uncommon. Of course if they think it's pretty good then they must be talking about limited. Or multiplayer, where passing this card around the table could lead to some intereresting politicking. But they don't need this to be rare either.

I share FieryBalrogs opinion.

The plate is (speaking of powerlevel) utterly garbage - while contested warzone is a powerful card, which don´t really needs to be defended in this article. It is an uncounterable, 1 mana Orcish Oriflamme - which you can use in every aggro deck and still acts as a land if needed. Yes, in the wrong deck its drawback can be heavy (you need creatures and often can´t risk playing it immediately), but for a land its amazing flexible and powerful.

Maybe its because my casual playgroup mostly consists of contructed/tournament players but such slow and easily disrupted "combos" (Plate & Magus) will simply not work in our multiplayer (or even 1vs1) - games.

In my opinion Contested Warzone is the much better and more interesting card, while the plate is a boring & unimaginative equipment. The warzone just offers so much more possibilities than wasting design space for an effect which in most cases don´t even affect the board.

As far as I'm concerned I really want to see wotc designing more cards like these - powerful/interesting cards with certain drawbacks instead of only "all upside"-cards. I believe if some cards/effects only come at a price you can create more tension and diversion  in the game.

All valid points, but the people buying packs to open Darksteel Plate far outnumber the people wanting Contested Warzone, thus Wizards will continue to print more all upside and less of this. 

Also, Darksteel Plate is at least not in the same category as Moonlace.  
It's very hard to get into the Moonlace club these days, especially as WOTC tries not to make such cards anymore. I took that comment as a bit of creative license.
I took that comment as a bit of creative license.

Note: any time you catch yourself saying "nobody could possibly be stupid enough to think...", stop. Yes they could. There is nothing so stupid that nobody believes it.
This is the last time I vote yes that I went to a prerelease. I played against a guy that mana weaves his deck. I called a judge on him at a previous prerelease-nothing happened. I did it again now, and still nothing happend. On top of that, at Scars, a group of people all had nuts decks because they swapped cards. Again this time, they swap/add cards and nothing happens to them.

So they all suck at Magic and I still win 5 packs. When I add up the value of my 11 packs and promo, it comes out to less than my entry fee. This weekend was teh suck as they say.
This is the last time I vote yes that I went to a prerelease. I played against a guy that mana weaves his deck. I called a judge on him at a previous prerelease-nothing happened. I did it again now, and still nothing happend. On top of that, at Scars, a group of people all had nuts decks because they swapped cards. Again this time, they swap/add cards and nothing happens to them.

So they all suck at Magic and I still win 5 packs. When I add up the value of my 11 packs and promo, it comes out to less than my entry fee. This weekend was teh suck as they say.

So don't play sealed, play draft. It's a hell of a lot cheaper and there's far less incentive to trade cards.

So don't play sealed, play draft. It's a hell of a lot cheaper and there's far less incentive to trade cards.

There aren't drafts at prereleases where I live now that WOTC did away with big ones and replaced them w/ LGS events. Cheating is rampant and no one does anything about it. I've moved stores and it doesn't change anything. Just saying I loved the big prereleases and am done w/ this new cheater-friendly format.

Also, I don't get how the move was made to help the LGSs, and yet the big prereleases are always in the same cities. LGSs in those cities never need the extra boost but the others always need the extra boost? Thanks WOTC for ruining prereleases to help get me through the doors of stores that can't be bothered to stop cheaters.
There aren't drafts at prereleases where I live now that WOTC did away with big ones and replaced them w/ LGS events. Cheating is rampant and no one does anything about it. I've moved stores and it doesn't change anything. Just saying I loved the big prereleases and am done w/ this new cheater-friendly format.

Also, I don't get how the move was made to help the LGSs, and yet the big prereleases are always in the same cities. LGSs in those cities never need the extra boost but the others always need the extra boost? Thanks WOTC for ruining prereleases to help get me through the doors of stores that can't be bothered to stop cheaters.

That sucks.

Here you can get in contact with regional judges to resolve issues with local judges, isn't that a possibility?
Other possibility: BECOME A JUDGE! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Come back next time with authority and bring the pain, Charles Atlas style. 
Yet another glowing endorsement of prereleases in stores.

I took that comment as a bit of creative license.

Note: any time you catch yourself saying "nobody could possibly be stupid enough to think...", stop. Yes they could. There is nothing so stupid that nobody believes it.

I don't waste time with obvious hyperbole. I'd have double the posts if I did and fingers too tired to play my music. If he actually thinks that Darksteel Plate is worse than any other rare between Moonlace and now, that goes beyond anything I could say anyway.

...!?

They are no longer of any use to anyone at all. Too weak for even casual.

WotC should come up with some way of having cards like this disintegrate within a given amount of time. This would take a lot of burden off of people to either store cards they will never use or basically throw away money.
Like after a prerelease, all the cards that are utterly useless disintegrate. Or like when they announced Nu-Extended, you would go home and find that all your Kamigawa, Ravnica, and Mirrodin cards have disintegrated.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.