Modron - Dungeon 186

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shouldn't a duodrone split into two monodrones on "death" Similarly, a Heirach should split into 2 quadrones or four duodrones. The names ought to make sense!
Are you familiar with the history of Modrons? I haven't seen the article because my sub ran out, so I'm not sure if they designed them to "split" but they never used to do that.
I rather enjoyed the article and the monster stats, but I did think it was lacking in just a couple of small ways.

1. The article says that Primus comes from the Plane of Mechanus, but they didn't say where Mechanus is or much about it.

2. They mentioned that Primus may have once been a Primordial, but was unlike all other Primordials.  ???  Then, to further confuse matters, Modrons are considered immortals (as in Astral Sea natives) so what connection does that have to the Primordials.

3. It didn't include stats for playing Modrons as a PC Race... which after reading this article I really want.  Tongue out
i am linking to this thread as the official discussion thread.

@JoeAndersen:  thank you for creating this thread.  for future reference, the proper format for creating such a thread is as follows:

DnDi_Large.pngDungeon 186
Creature Incarnations: Modrons

by Greg Bilsland and Bruce Cordell

Modrons are like cells in the vast distributed body that is Primus.

Talk about this Article here.

I lourve it.

The new "from one come many" feature is new, but it fits with the Modrons' themes of being a collective, non-autonomous unit. Plus, theliteral idea of Primus as a distributed individual fits well with previous editions' figurative suggestion, and gives combat a little variety.

I also think it's hilarious that quadrones basically chuck minions at people. 

I'm also kind of fond of all the "force" damage and movement abilities getting tossed around. It's an evocative power type for them, and makes the "march" seem very...resolute.

The bit about them closing portals isn't something I remember, but, again, I think it fits with the themes. If portals are causing chaos and unpredictability, the Modrons are going to want to close it! It's a good way to introduce modrons to any world, but enough of a throwaway to ignore if that's not your style.

I am OK with the modrons being separated into basically 4 different monster types. I would've liked some more variety, but I grok thatDungeon articles need to be short, and the way they made the distinction has value (into monodrone minions, duodrone and quadrone regulars, and heirarch elites) and leaves plenty of room to add more. 

Only thing I need now is a modron outcaste's racial rules... (I also prefer "modron outcaste" to "rogue modron," since 3e and 4e have rogue as a class, but that's a nitpick, and the former name is something I invented, so I couldn't expect them to use it)

I like it, it is good, and I am *absolutely* using these creatures. 
1. The article says that Primus comes from the Plane of Mechanus, but they didn't say where Mechanus is or much about it.

It's described as a "Realm" so it would be in the Astral Sea, which is where realms are located. 

2. They mentioned that Primus may have once been a Primordial, but was unlike all other Primordials.  ???  Then, to further confuse matters, Modrons are considered immortals (as in Astral Sea natives) so what connection does that have to the Primordials.

Primus could have been a mechanical primordial.  My speculation is that some time prior to the Dawn War, when gods and Primordials first encountered each other, Primus immediately realized it had more philosophically in common with the deities of the Astral Sea than with the other Primordials, who were all about chaos and destruction, now that they had finished making the World, Feywild, and Shadowfell.  So Primus "defected" to the Astral Sea, set himself up with a nice Realm of Mechanus and started making modrons.  Since the modrons are now being created in the Astral Sea, they are immortals.  If Primus had made any modrons for himself before moving shop, they would be elemental modrons.

3. It didn't include stats for playing Modrons as a PC Race... which after reading this article I really want. 

That would be awesome.  I would love to play a rogue modron.
I would love to be able to play an official modron character. 
Oooh!  Here's an adventure hook for Paragon Tier:  The Modrons march on Sigil.  Maybe they're swarming over it trying to close a particular portal - that they can't find since there's so much 'static' from all of the other portals.  Or, maybe, more ominously they want to close them all. 
Of course, this would require Paragon-level Modrons, but I'm sure that Wizards has a few more designed and waiting in the wings.  That, or one could re-level the existing ones via Monster Builder.
Yet another brilliant dungeon article. I wish that the Modrons would fit thematically in my campaign, so I could use them. 
Mad Scientist
I would love also to have stats for Modrons as PCs.  Cool
Excellent article, and the monster design is very clever. It's cool to hear the podcast and then see what they came up with. More like this please!
I, too, liked the Modron ability to split in two- cool idea.

Hope to see more future Modron stats- there were a bunch of them from 1st Ed MM2.

Did feel it didn't have enough story material behind it. Plus, a picture of the other two types of Modrons would have been nice.
 A picture of Primus would have been good too. I have no idea what this thing looks like.
 A picture of Primus would have been good too. I have no idea what this thing looks like.

Like this.

In AD&D, 2d edition, when he was first introduced, he looked like this:
I like mine better.