Road Rules of Gamma Terra: House rules for vehicles

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
The D&D Gamma World rulebook and the Famine in Far-Go expansion both allow you to roll up vehicles as part of your starting gear – but no rules are provided on how to actually use them in the game, apart from a few brief details on their overland speeds and gas mileage.

So, then, here are house rules for vehicles in D&D Gamma World, along with stats for several different types of vehicles for your games.

Download Road Rules of Gamma Terra now!

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
PERFECT.  My players may now use their wagon train.
These look great! Finally, proper rules for controlling the pickup truck while it runs over Porkers! Smile
Thanks Oraibi!
That is so awesome that I added it to the forum FAQ twice.
Awesomeness times two!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
OOH! can't wait to crash a Skycycle into someone/thing!!!

Thanks you ROCK!
so you autohit with collisions? maybe it should be an attack. your mechanics skill bonus Vs Reflex
on a miss they dodged out of the way, and if you hit they take dam. and your vehicle is attacked maybe their lvl Vs AC on a miss it takes 1/2 damage.

also very cool rules.
so you autohit with collisions? maybe it should be an attack. your mechanics skill bonus Vs Reflex
on a miss they dodged out of the way, and if you hit they take dam. and your vehicle is attacked maybe their lvl Vs AC on a miss it takes 1/2 damage.

also very cool rules.

The D&D rule seems to be autohit. I like your suggestion though.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
How much damage do the various vehicles do when running over opponents?
Also, what about rules for mechas?
I was thinking it would be cool if there were rules for vehicle upgrades like the ones found in d20 Apocalypse.

Should be simple enough to implament; maybe they could have a magic item like stat block.

Or maybe I can just write up the rules and post them on this forum myself.  I also agree that it would be cool if there were rules for mecha.

Maybe I could write some using your vehicle rules, that is, if it is alright with you.

Really cool rules.

Keep up the good work.

Hang on?... there was a post here from a wotc official saying/suggesting that there will be vehicle rules in the next expansion for Gamma World... and now it has mysteriously dissapeared...

Am I the only one who saw that post or did anyone else see that too?
jubjubbird: Must just be the medication wearing off.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Hang on?... there was a post here from a wotc official saying/suggesting that there will be vehicle rules in the next expansion for Gamma World... and now it has mysteriously dissapeared...

I saw it too. It wasn't quite what you said (it was a WotC author, the guy who wrote the article about home towns in Gamma Terra, and it was saying that there would be vehicle rules soon -- not necessarily in Legion of Gold) -- but it could be read that way.

Now it's gone.

Innnnnteresting.

Yes very interesting indeed :D it clearly means "something" is coming.. . . And maybe he wasn't supposed to say that..
It is standard practice at WotC (and probably gaming companies in general) that NOTHING about the future can be mentioned without prior permission and formal review of the announcement.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)

I saw it too. It wasn't quite what you said (it was a WotC author, the guy who wrote the article about home towns in Gamma Terra, and it was saying that there would be vehicle rules soon -- not necessarily in Legion of Gold) -- but it could be read that way.

Now it's gone.

Innnnnteresting.

I'm not exactly a "WotC author", but thanks for thinking of me that way.

Something regarding GW vehicle rules is coming up soon. I can't reveal anything specific, but it's coming. Hang in there, GW fans.

I think you'll enjoy it.

CC

These rules are beautiful. Thank you. Thank you so much.

CJL 
Oops, thanks for the catch! I'll tweak that (as well as a few others, like adding "hover" to the skybikes) in an update.

I'm not exactly a "WotC author", but thanks for thinking of me that way.

Something regarding GW vehicle rules is coming up soon. I can't reveal anything specific, but it's coming. Hang in there, GW fans.

I think you'll enjoy it.

CC

Ah that clears it up :D Thank you! I'm looking forward to it.
In my game last night, my PCs got themselves into a road chase encounter with some Knights of Genetic Purity. The PCs had a rather large Mars landrover type vehicle and a motorcycle, and the Knights had robot horses.
The newly-formed party in our adventure last night acquired three motorcycles from a porker road gang. They have already begun discussing how to effectively use them. These rules will come in quite handy!
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Great resource, but it struck me that Speed 8 for motorcycles seems a bit slow.  Try catching a motorcycle in an family sedan or a pickup truck and you'll know what I mean.  I'm increasing the comparative speed to 15 to match the sports car, and with a difficult Mechanics check I'd let the rider hit 18 squares.  Also the skycycle should probably have a speed of 20 like the Omega Tech card.
Some of what I'm going on is based on the rules they give in the book (motorcycles in Gamma World are apparently not so fast), and some is just scaling it to combat manueverability.

I agree with the skycycle having a speed of 20 (although to be honest I think that's excessive for a combat situation).
Speed 8 for motorcycles seems a bit slow. [...] I'm increasing the comparative speed to 15 to match the sports car, and with a difficult Mechanics check I'd let the rider hit 18 squares.

I wouldn't increase the speed of a motorcycle to match the sports car for game purposes. A bike that is quick is rarely fast and a bike that is fast is rarely quick (except for those designed for the racetrack). I think Speed 8 covers the balance between the two trade-offs, making for a nice, generic, doesn't matter what bike you ride ruling.

Plus, a motorcycle is *very* dependent on good roads to attain and/or maintain highspeed. I get the impression that Gamma World is not a good-road setting. (There are off-road bikes, but these are lightweight, with high mobility but relatively low speed.)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Keep in mind that combat speeds are the necessary speeds to be able to stop completely and/or make full 90 degree turns in tight spaces.  For "flat out" speed, you would use the overland values and narrative or a separate chase mechanic, not a grid map.
Speed 8 for motorcycles seems a bit slow. [...] I'm increasing the comparative speed to 15 to match the sports car, and with a difficult Mechanics check I'd let the rider hit 18 squares.

I wouldn't increase the speed of a motorcycle to match the sports car for game purposes. A bike that is quick is rarely fast and a bike that is fast is rarely quick (except for those designed for the racetrack). I think Speed 8 covers the balance between the two trade-offs, making for a nice, generic, doesn't matter what bike you ride ruling.

Plus, a motorcycle is *very* dependent on good roads to attain and/or maintain highspeed. I get the impression that Gamma World is not a good-road setting. (There are off-road bikes, but these are lightweight, with high mobility but relatively low speed.)

Yes, this. Motorcycles built for road racing rely on those roads not being made of nuclear debris. Dirt Bikes (the off-road kind that would be useful in Gamma World) are able to handle harder terrian and corner better, but trade off top speed to do so. 
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
It seems to that 8 would still be to slow even for a dirt bike. The average character wearing light armor has a speed of 6 and if they run they get a +2 to that so that would mean a person could keep up with a bike by running. Granted you would get tired soon. I would probably lean to a 10 or 12 speed since they are faster than a walking or running person.
soraku... not in a traditional battlemap/mat combat zone. A bike (or just about any vehicle) benefits form its speed outside of the twists and turns of combat. I would almost rule that they are nigh useless in combat, with much lower speeds except in a straight line for escape.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Silly vehicle story time:

In my group's most recent session of GW, we fought the arks in front of the tower in Famine in Fargo's Encounter 10. Our group's gravity controller used singularity to huddle a large group of them tomorrow in the middle of the road, and then we ran over them. Some of the survivors tried to do some damage to our vehicle's underside, but then some one had phase strike and sent it back in time to repair the damage. Poor arks shouldn't have been throwing rocks at our vehicle, scratching our paint. Derpiest combat ever.
I really liked it, great job and thank you very much.