01/24/2011 MM: "Under Besiege, Part 2"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Mirrodin Besieged introduces the concept of "poisoned." The idea behind poisoned is that there is some value to poison counters beyond "ten and dead." Now a player has to think about whether or not they want to take the first point of damage. This allows us to make cards that put into question the idea of poison decks being all or nothing.

This was a logical progression which several of us called at the sight of the first infect card. Yet, there is only one such hit for "poisoned" in the Orb. So either we know now who won the war for the thirds set or they wasted a lot of unnecessary time with Septic Rats. I was hoping they would show a few cards where there would be a benefit to poisoning oneself. Perhaps there are and the orb is not correct somehow.
A bit upset about the comments on how it has been so long since you have printed a creature with "One hit and you lose the game".

Considering that it hasn't even been a year since Emurakul.  (which can win on its own through a Maze of Ith and doesn't even need to hit the player)

Big creatures may be iconic and might only see fringe tournament play, but they are terrible for casual, ie banned in EDH.
If there's really no infect in blue then Corrupted Conscience is kind of a crappy card.
Three things:

Corrupted Conscience brings infect to blue as well. Thankfully it has proliferate as well, so it's not terrible, but it does exist in the colour. In point of fact, *because* blue has proliferate in Scars (along with such things as Neurok Invisimancer) and white does not, drafting white/black or white/green seems like a terrible proposition since you're relying on two packs for one colour (plus a few artifacts).

Ichor Rats used poisoning yourself as a cost as well (namely, the cost of getting reach to your opponent), so Vatmother isn't breaking new ground there.

Emrakul is basically a one-hit kill (and really, doesn't even need to hit you to do a decent amount of the total damage). Plus, it's nearly impossible to answer. So it really hasn't been "since Phage" that we haven't seen something like BSC.

The first point raises a broader issue: so far it seems like choosing Phyrexian at the pre-release constrains your viable card selection to mainly half of your packs, simply because of the 80-20 split in Scars. It's too easy to open three random Scars boosters and get very little to put in an infect deck (look at Scars sealed, where infect is basically impossible to build with six packs). So while I personally want to side with Phyrexia, it seems like it'd be more fun and less of a waste of money (because I statistically end up with a better deck) if I choose Mirran.
I can understand proliferate's move into black.  I can also understand proliferate's move into green.  But why is it moved into both in the same set?  Hopefully there will be a reasonable proliferate card in blue, black, or artifact coming out in the last two to be revealed.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
"sluffing off"? Should that be "sloughing off"? I've noticed MaRo's unconventional spelling of the verb "to gel" in recent weeks (he spells it "jell"), but this seems to be taking that a step further... (EDIT: Huh, Chambers allows either "gel" or "jell". Okay, I guess that's just some random prejudice of mine showing then. But "sluff" is definitely wrong.)

Also, the "adaptive" characteristic of the Phyrexians is why I think they'll win the war. Just like "the second set also is responsible for advancing the mechanics of the first set", so is the third set. If Phyrexia is defeated, then Mirrodin Pure can't have infect or proliferate in it, and that'll disappoint people in a big way. But if Phyrexia takes over Mirrodin, then New Phyrexia can have infected metalcraft, infected imprint, and so on.
Meanwhile, I had another completely independent goal. I wanted to create an infect creature with a power of 10 or greater. Many years ago (in Legions) I designed the card Phage the Untouchable and it was something we haven't really tapped since. Magic doesn't want too many "I hit you and you're dead" creatures, but it felt like we'd waited a proper amount of time since Phage the Untouchable.

Then why doesn't it make you lose the game if you don't play it from your hand? =(

Neither of todays articles gave us the full picture about Faction Packs.

Mark mentioned Tezzeret being neutral, but neither he or Tim explained the you can get off-faction Foils in your packs.

Is this supposed to be a badly kept secret, or have they forgotten? Or do they just think it isnt worth mentioning? (by my calculations, about 1 in every 3 players will have an off-faction foil in their MBS packs)

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Meanwhile, I had another completely independent goal. I wanted to create an infect creature with a power of 10 or greater. Many years ago (in Legions) I designed the card Phage the Untouchable and it was something we haven't really tapped since. Magic doesn't want too many "I hit you and you're dead" creatures, but it felt like we'd waited a proper amount of time since Phage the Untouchable.

Then why doesn't it make you lose the game if you don't play it from your hand? =(

Because although it has enough power to kill you it won't always kill you the first time it connects.  It can be blocked by enough creatures to prevent some of the poison from getting through.  Same with Dark Depths.  Not every creature that can kill in one hit needs such a severe drawback as Phage.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I've finally figured out what's wrong with Priests of Norn.  The forced perspective of looking up at them, makes it seem like they must be much bigger creatures than they are.

In reality they're maybe only slightly bigger than Standing Troops, if at all.  Unless they are just really tall and willowy?
I keep telling myself that poison may be one of those mechanics that can only carry two sets (like lands in Zendikar). Then again, without the Phyrexian side.... what does Scars have? Metalcraft and imprint? Battlecry?

Overall i get the sinking feeling that Scars is a failure in what it's trying to acheive. I don't feel like there is a war going on... just Phyrexians. The Phyrexians have two unique mechanics (-1/-1 and poison counters) while the Mirrans have artifacts (which the Phyrexians also have).

It just seems like the Phyrexians were given 80% of the effort of the set. The Mirrans don't even really have a unifying theme beyond "We like artifacts".

If you are trying to have a war... make the sides even. Not just in the number of cards, but also in the cool factor and innovation. The Phyrexians have dozens of really cool things going for them in the Scars block, the Mirrans do not.

… and then, the squirrels came.
Why doesn't Priests of Norn have a race type? It could be Skeleton, Zombie, or Horror.
This article doesn't address why BSC is worth the limits it places on future design (like Sneak Attack effects). Phage the Untouchable is not a relevant comparison with her drawback; Serra Avatar and Dark Depths are relevant and demonstrate how hard it should be to earn a one-hit kill creature.

I'm also annoyed how good Go for the Throat is. Next up, "Better Terminate", costing {B/R}! Isn't power creep supposed to be bad?
I'm also annoyed how good Go for the Throat is. Next up, "Better Terminate", costing {B/R}! Isn't power creep supposed to be bad?

I think it's funny, like when they brought Terror back in Mirrodin. It looks really awesome, and it is, except in its environment. I mean, it's still very playable in Limited and everything, but isn't as powerful as it looks. Of course, it seems like the kind of cards that will never be reprinted (they even gave it a not-so-basic and a bit plane-specific name).
Why doesn't Priests of Norn have a race type? It could be Skeleton, Zombie, or Horror.

They are likely saving it for the Grand Creature Type Update II.