1/20/2011 FtL: "The Ultimate Think Tank"

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Now THAT is a cool card, and one that I can fully endorse. Man, it's like Shared Fate, except it can't color-screw people. I love sharing libraries. 
I would cast Emrakul then use something like Lightning Bolt. Getting Emrakul on possibly turn 4 or 5?
That sounds good to me. 
Umm, if you can cast Emrakul on turn 4 or 5 to exile him with this, it seems like you don't need this at all. You could manipulate Emrakul to the top of your library before casting this, but you'd have to assume your opponent had no instant as well (well, technically, you'd just have to be sure you had 1 more instant than them that you could cast).

I wish Emrakul had never been printed, but that's another matter entirely.  
BEST. TROLLING. CARD. EVER.

Just fill the six slots with 4 phages or a bunch of pacts.

Then they can either not cast spells ever again, or lose. Meanwhile you get to steal up to six spells for your own use. What's not to love?

EDIT: if you really want to, you can even throw in a mindslaver. When was the last time you actually made your opponent suicide with mindslaver?
I love the card, i'm probably going to try to make a standerd deck with it.

It does leave me with some questions though...

So Knowledge Pool is played, and let's say is one of the cards in the pool (not the only one though).   My opponent plays a spell with the purpose of taking that good card.  I could interrupt and cast an instant to choose and play the power card first, forcing my opponent to pick a different card.  (at least i'm pretty sure that's how it goes.)

If Knowledge Pool works how i think it does then what about Split Second.  am i wrong in thinking that casting a card with split second (Angle's Grace, for instance.) would mean you would basically get to just grab, and play any card in the pool without anyone being able to snatch it first?

Also, getting two pools out on one side is beyond retarded...
you basically gain control of which card grouping your opponent gets to play from.
i'm willing to say that any deck with instant cards in it can lock down the table with 2, or *gasps* even, 3 Knowledge Pools out.

finally i want to point out how awesome it is that beseiged will not only have this but a version of trinket mage that searches for 6 mana or more artifacts.  I love synergies in limited. Laughing

So Knowledge Pool is played, and let's say is one of the cards in the pool (not the only one though).   My opponent plays a spell with the purpose of taking that good card.  I could interrupt and cast an instant to choose and play the power card first, forcing my opponent to pick a different card.  (at least i'm pretty sure that's how it goes.)

If Knowledge Pool works how i think it does then what about Split Second.  am i wrong in thinking that casting a card with split second (Angle's Grace, for instance.) would mean you would basically get to just grab, and play any card in the pool without anyone being able to snatch it first?

you basically gain control of which card grouping your opponent gets to play from.
i'm willing to say that any deck with instant cards in it can lock down the table with 2, or *gasps* even, 3 Knowledge Pools out.

finally i want to point out how awesome it is that beseiged will not only have this but a version of trinket mage that searches for 6 mana or more artifacts.  I love synergies in limited.

right on both counts, however.

You do not know which spell they're going to take, because it's not targeted. Thus, they don't need to announce until the ability starts resolving, by then it's too late.

Even if you manage to snatch the "good" card from the pool, nothing's stopping them from playing another card in the pool, since agan, they don't announce their choice until resolution begins.

Oh! MtFrostM brought up another question.
please tell me pacts, as in
Pact of Negation, don't interact with Knowledge Pool like i think they do...

is the pay mana or lose affect a trait or a cost of the spell?

if it's a trait of the spell, (which i think it is but hope itisn't) then you can cast pacts as free 0 mana instant cards and choose/play a different card.  Not only that, but if your opponent isn't playing the right colors they can't really ever choose a previosly exiled pact to play, because they lose in a turn!

forming idea Deck list shortly
Long-Term Plans is the card that comes to mind.

Once you have 6 mana with Knowledge Pool, Long-Term Plans and a free spell (Memnite, Mishra's Bauble, Pact, etc.) in your hand; cast Long-Term Plans in opponent's end step, fetching Emrakul or whatever awesome win condition you want.  (I assume Emrakul is THE card you'd want to cheat into play.)  Cast Knowledge Pool then the free spell, which turns into Emrakul.  Game over?

This type of deck would probably feature a blue permission & draw package.   However you don't want to be caught with the Knowledge Pool exiling some counter magic and your opponent is sitting on some random instant when you try to go off.  (Memnite can be still be countered before Knowledge Pool's ability resolves.) So play a Pact so you get the exiled counter (or Emrakul) first?  Weird.

Worldly Tutor would also work with 1 more green mana than above.  Cast it in your Main phase right before Knowledge Pool. 

Time Spiral (the card) also seems like it would be fun to set up this way, although what would you do with 7 cards and 6 mana that's better than Emrakul?   Besides Time Spriral has been broken so many ways before that it doesn't feel special.
Alright, here is the basic blocky outline of a Knowledge Pool lock out deck:

Non-Creature Artifacts:

4 Knowledge Pool
4 Sculpting Steel
4 Everflowing Chalice

Creatures:

4 Palladium Myr
4 Treasure Mage (yet to be released tinker mage who searches for 6 or > mana artifacts.)

Planeswalkers:

2 Tezzeret the Seeker

Instants:

4 Pact of the Titan
4 Final Fortune
2 Pact of Negation
4 Intervention Pact
4 Angel's Grace
2 Trickbind

Enchantments:

2 Arcane Laboratory

Lands:

4 Tectonic Edge

my final version would be slightly more than 60 to help if i get a arcane lab and a knoledge pool out and the game stalls out.

man lands are the only real trouble.

pacts will limit cards opponent can use down quite a bit.  as will Final fortune(not that i would really use it except for is i could manage an angle's grace.)

Tezzeret helps mana accell and searches for artifacts that can get around knoledge pools ability.

I think you are reading the card wrong. 

The card's effect is triggered when a spell is "cast", not when that spell resolves.  The first time an opponent has priority and "casts" a spell, he exiles that spell and plays one from the "pool" and there's nothing you can do about it.  So, "split second" is irrelevant.

Now here's one of the bonkers artifacts that Mirrodin was known for!  I think that one of the best (non-standard) cards to combine with Knowledge Pool would be Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir.   You can play whatever card is in your hand that you are willing to give up in order to get whatever you want and your opponent can't do anything about it.

@orgg99

When someone casts a spell the triggered ability of Knowledge Pool goes on the stack wanting to exile the card.  In response to the triggered ability, another player can play an instant and activate the Knowledge Pool ability for their card.  Your Knowledge Pool ability will resolve first meaning you get first dibs from the Knowledge Pool.

When someone casts a card with split second no other spells or activated abilities can be used to prevent you from taking a card from the knowledge Pool.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I think you are reading the card wrong. 

The card's effect is triggered when a spell is "cast", not when that spell resolves.  The first time an opponent has priority and "casts" a spell, he exiles that spell and plays one from the "pool" and there's nothing you can do about it.  So, "split second" is irrelevant.

No, the original author had it right. Here's how it works:

1) Player A casts Spell X (puts it on the stack, pays costs, chooses targets). They've got their eye on Spell Z which is exiled with Knowledge Pool.
2) Knowledge Pool's ability triggers for Spell X.
3) Knowledge Pool's ability X goes on the stack.
4) Player B responds to Knowledge Pool's ability by casting Spell Y (putting it on the stack, paying costs, choosing targets).
5) Knowledge Pool's ability triggers again for Spell Y.
6) Knowledge Pool's ability Y goes on the stack.
7) If nobody responds further, Knowledge Pool's ability Y resolves. This exiles Spell Y and gives Player B their choice of Knowledge Pool exiled spell.
8) Player B casts Spell Z that was exiled with Knowledge Pool, the one that Player A wanted.
9) If nobody responds further, Spell Z resolves. 
10) If nobody responds further, Knowledge Pool's ability X resolves. This exiles Spell X and gives Player A their choice of exiled spell, except for Spell Z because that one's already been taken.

Oh! MtFrostM brought up another question.
please tell me pacts, as in
Pact of Negation, don't interact with Knowledge Pool like i think they do...

is the pay mana or lose affect a trait or a cost of the spell?

if it's a trait of the spell, (which i think it is but hope itisn't) then you can cast pacts as free 0 mana instant cards and choose/play a different card.  Not only that, but if your opponent isn't playing the right colors they can't really ever choose a previosly exiled pact to play, because they lose in a turn!

The "pay mana or lose" is an effect that's set up during the Pact spell's resolution. So yes, things are as you describe: you can use a Pact to get another exiled spell for free, and people have to be pretty wary of choosing Pacts as the Pool spell they get.
Ouch now a whole bunch of Teferi+Pool decks will sprout on MtGO, and endless discussions about what is casual will issue.....
Other than that clearly Teferi is the man, and the pacts are key for success as is any istant that costs 1 or 2 mana.

Another application, however not so efficient, is to repeatedly cast it: use it in conjunction with Vedalken Mastermind or Obelisk of Undoing (hew), or, best of the bunch, Master Transmuter.
Cast the pool, mill for 3; cast useful spells u find; then, in response to an opponent's spell that could snatch something useful, bounce it; replay it the next turn thus refresing the pool and eliminating any dangerous cards. Plus you are protectng the Pool at the same time.

COOL Card, definitely.
These change the game cards are normally the types of cards that excite me, but this one doesn't. 

I have never liked cards that cheat mana costs, and without jumping through a lot of hoops, the card doesn't get you much more than a typical card filtering enchantment does. 

If you want to cheat something big into play, then you need mana to both cast the pool, and another spell on the same turn.  Otherwise, your opponent gets first crack at the best item.  If you are trying for both in one turn, then you are filling your deck with cheap spells and potentially mana acceleration, on top of the knowledge pools and whatever big cards that you want to play.  That doesn't leave a lot of room in the deck for anything else. 

Now if we switch gears to multiplayer, then I like the card a lot better.  I still don't like the free casting part, I simply like the idea of forcing everyone to play from a closed but ever changing set of cards. 

-MT Head
Can someone explain to me why a cast spell (exiled) after a knowledge pool is on the board is placed back in the pool?

It doesn't really explain that very well on the card.

Secondly, if my opponent has a Knowledge Pool. And I cast a spell, I can then cast a spell from the pool? Does that mean if its a creature it comes under my control? Or if its a lightning bolt I can use it on them?

Doesn't that seem nearly suicidal?

I'm very confused with this card. I want to make a casual deck with it, but I'm affraid I will need a university degree in teaching to show my friends that I'm not cheating with the card.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
Yeah, from what I read on the card, the only time cards Imprint on the Pool are when the Pool is first cast. When other spells are subsequently cast, the card says they're just exiled, not "exiled and Imprint'd". Or, since it's the Pool's ability that's causing the spell to get exiled, does the spell count as a card that's been "exiled with Knowledge Pool"?
Can someone explain to me why a cast spell (exiled) after a knowledge pool is on the board is placed back in the pool?

It doesn't really explain that very well on the card.

Secondly, if my opponent has a Knowledge Pool. And I cast a spell, I can then cast a spell from the pool? Does that mean if its a creature it comes under my control? Or if its a lightning bolt I can use it on them?

Doesn't that seem nearly suicidal?

I'm very confused with this card. I want to make a casual deck with it, but I'm affraid I will need a university degree in teaching to show my friends that I'm not cheating with the card.

Yeah, from what I read on the card, the only time cards Imprint on the Pool are when the Pool is first cast. When other spells are subsequently cast, the card says they're just exiled, not "exiled and Imprint'd". Or, since it's the Pool's ability that's causing the spell to get exiled, does the spell count as a card that's been "exiled with Knowledge Pool"?

Every spell that is cast after Knowledge Pool is played gets exiled. The last sentence on the card says "may play a card exiled with Knowledge Pool", but doesn't say anything about how it was exiled, so everything that was exiled by it, regardless of how, counts and can be used.

Basically, from when this artifact enters the battlefield until the end of the game, there is a pile of six cards off to the side, three from your library and three from your opponent's. (Assuming there are only two players, assuming this artifact doesn't get Shattered or returned to your hand or anything, assuming there's only one, assuming no one is playing with cards like Riftsweeper, etc.) Let's call those cards one through six. When you try to cast a spell (card seven), you pay its mana cost and all that, but instead of casting it you put it in that pile and take another card out of the pile and cast that instead. Let's say you chose card two. After two resolves, it goes to the graveyard like usual. When someone casts spell eight, they pay its costs, exile eight, and get to choose from one, three, four, five, six and seven.

At least, that's how I understand it, I'm not a judge or a lawyer, etc.
@orgg99

When someone casts a spell the triggered ability of Knowledge Pool goes on the stack wanting to exile the card.  In response to the triggered ability, another player can play an instant and activate the Knowledge Pool ability for their card.  Your Knowledge Pool ability will resolve first meaning you get first dibs from the Knowledge Pool.

When someone casts a card with split second no other spells or activated abilities can be used to prevent you from taking a card from the knowledge Pool.

@GreenBuster and alextfish:

Yep. on rereading the article and the FAQ I see that you guys are correct.  I guess Noel's use of the word "instead" confused me. 
("Whenever any player casts a spell, he or she gets to pick the juciest card from the Pool and cast that instead.")

Anyway, Knowledge Pool could end up being a judge's nightmare if it ends up in serious tournament play.   It should get interesting trying to work out interactions with certain other cards, and especially multiple copies of those other cards - - cards such as Stifle, Spelljack, Time Stop, and Ertai's Meddling, for example.  And then there are interactions with some mechanics (such as 'Buyback" and many others) that could make heads explode.

Basically, from when this artifact enters the battlefield until the end of the game, there is a pile of six cards off to the side, three from your library and three from your opponent's. (Assuming there are only two players, assuming this artifact doesn't get Shattered or returned to your hand or anything, assuming there's only one, assuming no one is playing with cards like Riftsweeper, etc.) Let's call those cards one through six. When you try to cast a spell (card seven), you pay its mana cost and all that, but instead of casting it you put it in that pile and take another card out of the pile and cast that instead. Let's say you chose card two. After two resolves, it goes to the graveyard like usual. When someone casts spell eight, they pay its costs, exile eight, and get to choose from one, three, four, five, six and seven.

At least, that's how I understand it, I'm not a judge or a lawyer, etc.

I hope it works this way.  The alternative is that a maximum of 6 spells can be cast for the remainder of the game, since there isn't a "may" on the card.

Ah, yeah, here we go.  Just reread the bullets in the article.  

"You may cast any other card exiled by Knowledge Pool, including one owned by an opponent. Any card exiled by Knowledge Pool's enters-the-battlefield ability or its other triggered ability may be cast."

No, the original author had it right. Here's how it works:

1) Player A casts Spell X (puts it on the stack, pays costs, chooses targets). They've got their eye on Spell Z which is exiled with Knowledge Pool.
2) Knowledge Pool's ability triggers for Spell X.
3) Knowledge Pool's ability X goes on the stack.
4) Player B responds to Knowledge Pool's ability by casting Spell Y (putting it on the stack, paying costs, choosing targets).

Bzzzt! Illegal game action. Step 4 is where you go off the rails. The comp rules specify:
702.58a Split second is a static ability that functions only while the spell with split second is on the
   stack. “Split second” means “As long as this spell is on the stack, players can’t cast other spells
   or activate abilities that aren’t mana abilities.”

Since Knowledge Pool's ability hasn't yet resolved, the spell with split second is still on the stack. That means that new spells can't be cast.
Note that the next rule makes it quite clear that Knowledge Pool's ability triggers as normal:
702.58b Players may activate mana abilities and take special actions while a spell with split second
   is on the stack. Triggered abilities trigger and are put on the stack as normal while a spell with
   split second is on the stack.

So yes, if you cast a spell with split second, no one can stop you from having your pick of whatever spell you like from the Pool. After the Pool's ability has resolved, exiling the spell with split second and putting a new spell on the stack in its place, new spells may be cast or abilities activated. By then it's too late to prevent them from taking their pick of the available spells, though.
Split Second and Pacts are the way to go!
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
@orgg99

Anyway, Knowledge Pool could end up being a judge's nightmare if it ends up in serious tournament play.   It should get interesting trying to work out interactions with certain other cards, and especially multiple copies of those other cards - - cards such as Stifle, Spelljack, Time Stop, and Ertai's Meddling, for example.  And then there are interactions with some mechanics (such as 'Buyback" and many others) that could make heads explode.

:P i'm trying to make such a deck as we speak.

the standered version of knowledge pool isn't the strongest thing around. but by using cards with X as their cost, or kickers, i can steal all the good cards my opponent has while avoiding giving them a hand.

also, due to the rediculous power of having multiple knowledge pools, i would say that any deck that uses them should also have at least 1 prototype portal, so you can make one every turn. O_0

by forcing them to play from the Pool with the worst cards, you could force a mill stratagy.

main problems i can see are memoricide, fast aggro decks decks, and man lands.

memoricide counters memoricide.
consume the meek, pyroclasm (or any mass kill car combined with mana ramp) can ruin fast agro decks day
tectonic edges and goblin ruinblaster and spreading seas all stop manlands.

anyone else have any suggestions or other problems they can forsee?
Final Fortune, Last Chance, Warrior's Oath <-- Good luck getting that.
   I hope it works this way.  The alternative is that a maximum of 6 spells can be cast for the remainder of the game, since there isn't a "may" on the card.

Ah, yeah, here we go.  Just reread the bullets in the article.  

"You may cast any other card exiled by Knowledge Pool, including one owned by an opponent. Any card exiled by Knowledge Pool's enters-the-battlefield ability or its other triggered ability may be cast."

Yes a maximum of 6 spells are in the pool (assuming two players, one Knowledge Pool), but there will typically be an average of only 4 castable spells in the pool (assuming a conservative 60 card deck ratio of 20 lands/40 spells). 

By the way, it will be interesting to see how those Urza block cards that untap lands (Time Spiral and Cloud of Faeries, etc.)  will interact with Knowledge Pool.  I expect somebody could break this card, but at a cost of 6 it's not likely to become a high level tournament card, IMO.
Actually there is technically a "maximum" of infinite spells in the pool - whenever someone casts something (resulting it being exiled) and chooses not to cast one of the existing spells, the count goes up by one.

There are other, more complicated ways to do this, also, such as a Vesuvan Shapeshifter that comes into play as a Leveller, then later copies an animated Knowledge Pool, etc...

Hmm... Flashback cards can be cast from the graveyard with no interaction with the Pool at all.
Actually there is technically a "maximum" of infinite spells in the pool - whenever someone casts something (resulting it being exiled) and chooses not to cast one of the existing spells, the count goes up by one.

Hmm... Flashback cards can be cast from the graveyard with no interaction with the Pool at all.

Yes, that's a good point about the maximum size of the pool.  I should have specified that I was talking about the starting pool, the point being that lands are not castable spells and therefore the average starting pool will be 4 castable spells.

I aslo have been wondering about cascade.  The cascade mechanic triggers when the card (say, Bloodbraid Elf) is "played" and the Knowledge Pool ability also triggers when the card is "cast".  ("Play" and "cast" mean the same thing here, right?)  So it looks like you could play Bloodbraid Elf and cascade into another spell before the Elf is exiled by Knowledge Pool.  Then, cast an instant, retrieve and cast the Elf, and do it again.

There's probably a Reset combo waiting to happen, too.
This card Knowledge Pool is fascinating.

Rule Of Law

Possible interactions? At the most i'm hoping for broken, at the least I'm hoping for stupid, and at the worst I'm expecting this card gets around the Rule.
I aslo have been wondering about cascade.  The cascade mechanic triggers when the card (say, Bloodbraid Elf) is "played" and the Knowledge Pool ability also triggers when the card is "cast".  ("Play" and "cast" mean the same thing here, right?)  So it looks like you could play Bloodbraid Elf and cascade into another spell before the Elf is exiled by Knowledge Pool.  Then, cast an instant, retrieve and cast the Elf, and do it again.

There's probably a Reset combo waiting to happen, too.
This card Knowledge Pool is fascinating.

As crazy as it sounds, I think you're right. The FAQ says that any ability triggered by casting the original spell still happens, using Emrakul itself as an example, and the card coming out of the pool is clearly "cast", so it would happen then too. Any card cast from your hand when Knowledge Pool is in play can get cast twice even though it only actually resolves once. It looks like this would also work with replicate and storm. I hope some judge or rules lawyer can come along and explain why you're wrong, but at this point it looks like this card makes storm and cascade even better than they already are.

I want to figure this out. So let's say I go back to my Goblinstorm deck (a Time Spiral-era deck, a much cheaper alternative to a Dragonstorm deck). For that deck, a pretty good turn would be Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Seething Song, Grapeshot, Empty the Warrens. That requires tapping two Mountains, does four damage divided as I choose among my opponent and any potential blockers, and gives me 10 1/1 Goblin tokens. (That's just a pretty good turn and not great, there are ways to give them haste and/or power bonuses, but let's keep this relatively simple...)

Now suppose there's a Knowledge Pool out, with, say, six lands in the Pool. (Again, keeping it simple.) I cast the first Rite of Flame. The Pool steps in and exiles it and gives me nothing. (One spells cast so far this turn.) I cast the second Rite of Flame. It gets exiled. I get the first Rite of Flame, adding two red to my mana pool, and the Rite card goes to my graveyard. (Three spells cast.) I tap a third land and play a Seething Song. It gets exiled and gives me the second Rite, giving me a total of three mana in my pool. (Five spells cast so far.) I spend two of that mana to cast Grapeshot, giving me the Seething Song and five copies of Grapeshot. (Seven spells cast, the copies don't count.) I spend the mana from Seething Song to cast Empty the Warrens. (Eight spells cast.) It gives me a Grapeshot copied eight times and seven copies of Empty the Warrens itself, making a total of 13 damage and 14 1/1 Goblins.

Wow. And that assumes nothing but one additional land under my control than in the original example. If there had already been a spell in the Pool, all the storm counts would have been increased by one. If I had another spell to cast after the Empty the Warrens, it would have more than doubled my tokens. Did I get the math wrong? (Probably. After three edits, I gave up. I don't think I'm too far off, though.) Am I misunderstanding this card in some basic way? Because if not, this card doubles the effectiveness of storm and cascade.

Of course, storm and cascade aren't in Standard at the moment, these all carry the risk of your opponent stealing some of your spells with an instant, and it's not like storm decks need a 6CC artifact to win anyway. Still, there's yet another use of this card that Johnny should love.
Rule Of Law

Possible interactions? At the most i'm hoping for broken, at the least I'm hoping for stupid, and at the worst I'm expecting this card gets around the Rule.

It looks broken to me. Rule of Law says you can only cast one spell per turn. That would mean you just don't get to choose to cast the second spell. So I think Knowledge Pool plus Rule of Law would exile all spells that are cast from the hand. You'd have to win by triggered effects, cards with flashback (and you'd have to get those into your graveyard before casting Rule of Law somehow) and cards already in play.
Once you have 6 mana with Knowledge Pool, Long-Term Plans and a free spell (Memnite, Mishra's Bauble, Pact, etc.) in your hand; cast Long-Term Plans in opponent's end step, fetching Emrakul or whatever awesome win condition you want.  (I assume Emrakul is THE card you'd want to cheat into play.)  Cast Knowledge Pool then the free spell, which turns into Emrakul.  Game over?

If you want to cheat Emrakul into play, why not just use Palladium Myr + Voltaic Key?  It's faster and easier.  Also, you don't have to wait a few weeks to build a deck around it.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
If you want to cheat Emrakul into play, why not just use Palladium Myr + Voltaic Key?

...because that combo doesn't do anything, no matter how many of either you have out? A card that taps to untap one other card isn't infinite no matter how much mana you make off of doing it once.
If you want to cheat Emrakul into play, why not just use Palladium Myr + Voltaic Key?

...because that combo doesn't do anything, no matter how many of either you have out? A card that taps to untap one other card isn't infinite no matter how much mana you make off of doing it once.

I assumed he meant Palladium Myr plus two Myr Galvanizers. Tap the Palladium Myr, use one of its mana to tap a Galvanizer, tap the Palladium again, use one mana to tap the other Galvanizer which untaps both the Palladium and the other Galvanizer, and so on, and you get infinite mana, I think. It would also work with two Galvanizers plus two or more of any Myr that tap for one mana.

There are some advantages of Knowledge Pool over infinite mana combos, though. For one thing, Knowledge Pool only requires one card in play, not three like the last combo, and doesn't require that it tap. For another, Knowledge Pool can be used to cast things with colored mana in their mana cost, like Progenitus, as long as they were in the top three cards of your library when you cast it, but it's a little harder to get infinite mana of any color. On the other hand, there are problems with Knowledge Pool, like people have said upthread: other people can cast your spells too. But anyways, the point is, this does do things that infinite mana combos can't.

Rule Of Law

It looks broken to me. Rule of Law says you can only cast one spell per turn. That would mean you just don't get to choose to cast the second spell. So I think Knowledge Pool plus Rule of Law would exile all spells that are cast from the hand. You'd have to win by triggered effects, cards with flashback (and you'd have to get those into your graveyard before casting Rule of Law somehow) and cards already in play.

Actually, not that broken as it could be, Pool says "Plays from hand" so get a lockdown of Knowledge Pool and Rule of Law and then just draw till your discarding, and have a deck full of man-lands and stuff that lets you play it from the graveyard.

With a bit of acceleration on the mana front you can prevent anything too hairy getting onto the field, and just use Reassembling Skeleton (as an example) although theres plenty of other stuff that can be played from the graveyard.

or a rebel deck, or a token deck. So maybe not too broken, just a very specific strategy.

interestingly slow win condition though, just drop this combo and hope they deck out first :D

EDIT 4x Kuldotha Phoenix As long as you hit the metalcraft level first, although artifact lands would make that less of a primary concern.

Edit #2; Suspend also works here quite well.
Sign In to post comments