D&D At PAX East 2011?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all, I am looking for any information on WotC's "official" presence at PAX East 2011 in March this year.  Last year Willi Burger ran everything, but he hasn't responded to any of my emails in 6+ months.  Is there someone coordinating what events will be run and assembling volunteers to DM?
It's probably just a bit too early for any of that info to be released. PA doesn't even have their event schedule posted yet. The D+D events filled up pretty quick last year. I was one of the very few who actually pre-registered for them and I don't think Willi started taking names until about a week before PAX opened. Just keep checking back here and on the PAX East boards. Something is bound to be posted by the middle of next month.

See ya there!

Hmmm... that doesn't sound quite right.  The DMs for PAX Prime in Seattle start organizing several months ahead of time to make sure they have enough volunteers and that the DMs have adequate time to learn the encounters/modules that they will be running.  You can't just grab a book and go run something and expect that everyone will have a good experience.

In addition, people who DM a certain number of sessions are given PAX badges as a reward (or even a hotel room).  A week before the con, I can almost guarantee that the badges will be sold out.  Yeah, you could buy one ahead of time (as I have) and sell it if you end up DMing enough for a comp'd pass, but that's a lot of last minute hassle.
Ack, I totally misread your post. I thought you were looking to join a game as a player. You are clearly looking to volunteer as a DM. I should hope that someone coordinating these events would have an eye out on these and the PAX East boards at the very least. If I hear anything in the future I'll repost here.
I don't know any specifics, but I know Willi is again organizing and that we worked out what content (and what new content) would be available for PAXeast.
Well I guess I'll try to keep checking here and at the official PAX forums, but the closer we get to PAX East the less likely I'll have free time left to DM.  Willi was very responsive via email last year, has his address changed?  Getting one email is a lot easier than having to check 2 different forums and hope you don't miss the post you're looking for.
Willi just sent out the call for GMs on saturday _flatline_ if you GM'd last year you should get the email, otherwise he posted some info on the PAX east boards as well. The need people to run delves, encounters, learn to play and the gm challenge...theme is dragons!

looks like it'll be fun
Yeah I got the email from Willi.  Here is the pertinent information for those who didn't or don't belong to the Penny-Arcade forums.

If you would like to DM Wizards of the Coast sponsored D&D this year go to

www.williburger.com/JudgeReg.pdf

to register. We'd love to have you!

Wizards of the Coast sponsored D&D Events

• D&D Dungeon Delve. This event runs continuously. A one hour play experience. Play until you defeat the two encounters or die! Characters are provided.

• D&D Learn-to-Play. Want to learn how to play D&D 4th Edition? We’ll teach you all the basics, and send you out on your first adventure! Everything is provided for you, and you can even keep your character. A 2 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.

• Runs Friday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm and 9 pm; Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm.

• Heroes of Shadow preview event! Kalarel's Revenge by Shawn Merwin. When heroes defeated the evil priest Kalarel at the Keep on the Shadowfell, they averted a terrible threat. Evil has a way of surviving, though, and the death of a powerful necromancer has ramifications. Now, it's going to take betrayal, greed, and revenge if anyone wants to survive the perils in the Cairngorm peaks. This official D&D Classic adventure uses 4th level pre-generated characters and highlights three new products: Dungeon Tile: Caverns of Icewind Dale, Player Options: Heroes of Shadow, and Monster Vault 2: Threats to the Nentir Vale. A 4 hour D&D play experience.

• Runs Friday 7 pm.

• D&D Encounters, The Phantom Brigade. Venture into the perilous Nentir Vale with a heroic band of adventurers. D&D Encounters is an exciting, weekly campaign that plays out one epic encounter at a time. As you defeat enemies, solve puzzles, finish quests, and perform heroic deeds, you’ll earn Renown Points that you can use to get exclusive rewards. Each session only takes 1-2 hours to play, so it’s easy to fit your game in after school or work. And each week there’s a new and exciting challenge. Jump in anytime.  At PAX East we will run catch up sessions of the first chapter (encounters #1 -4), as well as the current week’s encounter, #5. You can do the catch up session, or start with #5. Continue the adventure Wednesdays at your favorite local game store.

• The first chapter is a 4 - 6 hour play experience and runs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 11 am.

• Encounter 5 is a 60 - 90 minute play experience and runs Friday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm and 9 pm; Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm.

• Castle Ravenloft. Evil lurks in the towers and dungeons of Castle Ravenloft, and only heroes of exceptional bravery can survive the horrors within. Designed for 1–5 players, this boardgame features multiple scenarios. A 60 - 90 play experience.

• Runs Friday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm and 9 pm; Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm.

• Wrath of Ashardalon. Within an ominous volcano lies a maze of tunnels and chambers, and deep within this monster-infested labyrinth lurks the most terrifying creature of all: a red dragon! A 60 - 90 minute play experience.

• The DungeonMaster’s Challenge. DMs bring their best and most dangerous 8th-level dragon themed adventures for you to conquer; rate your play experience to determine the best adventure of the evening! 8th-level characters are provided. A 4 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience. Last year the DM Challenge was a fantastic success with many judges serving up wonderful adventures. Scoring was very close and a good time was had by all. Please consider playing or DMing this event!

• Runs Saturday 7 pm

If you would like to DM Wizards of the Coast sponsored D&D this year go to

www.williburger.com/JudgeReg.pdf

to register. We'd love to have you!

Where can I sign up to play?

You don't. Apparently games will be played by waiting in line for them.
PAX East 2011 DM’s Challenge Information

The Challenge will take place on Saturday from 7:00 p.m. until 11:00 p. m.

To register as a DM, go to www.williburger.com/JudgeReg.pdf or send me a private message.

We had a large challenge last year with all the DMs' offerings being very well received. We'd like to see even more DMs this year!

“Dragon’s Lair” Rules

Adventure Design
DMs must create an adventure suitable for five 8th-level characters (actual group size may vary from 4-6 players) using the D&D rules, with a spotlight on a unique and fantastic dragon and its lair.

The adventure should play in about 4-5 hours, including time for the players to review characters. You should write approximately 3 tactical encounters for your adventure; you must write at least 2 tactical encounters, but no more than 4. Tactical encounters can be fights or other deadly challenges (like traps). Levels for the encounters should not be lower than 7 or higher than 10; you should endeavor to write a total of about 25 levels' worth of tactical encounters (that would parse out into two 8th-level fights and one 9th-level fight).

Your adventure should be set in and around a dragon’s lair, and should include a showdown with a draconic foe. You can develop any story or setting you’d like for the lair, and you should use Monster Vault or Monster Manual 3 for dragons and other monster designs (or as a design guide for your own). Add exploration and roleplaying encounters to your adventure to really make it come to life beyond the tactical encounters.

Materials
You are expected to provide player characters for players to use for your adventure. The characters should all be 8th level, and you should bring 6 different characters. Make sure to account for a play group of 4, 5, or 6 characters when you write your characters and the adventure.

You are required to bring all materials with you that you'll need to run your adventure - maps/tiles, minis/tokens, player character sheets, etc. If you’d like to use D&D Fortune Cards, you can bring cards and develop a use for them in-game (draw from a central deck, integrate them as boons earned during the adventure, etc.).

Judging
Each player at your table will be given a form to complete after they finish playing. On the form, they'll be asked to rate you on the following categories:

Presentation
Story
Challenges
Characters
Fun Factor

Rewards
Because we love our DMs so much, and know you put a lot of hard work into your adventure, just for showing others a good time you'll get a recent hardcover book release as a thanks for participating! In addition, the DM with the best overall rating in the categories above will be awarded a SWEET PRIZE, which will be unveiled at the show. It will be cool, I promise.