01/19/2011 BoaB: "Goblin Wardriver"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Sometimes you get passed an interesting preview card, and sometimes you get passed Goblin Wardriver
Must have four... dozen.
My only disappointment is the art. When they previewed it a while back I assumed it would be cropped considerably. You can barely see the creature on the card!
This card excites me a lot, because it's not just an addition to Kuldotha Red, but it's an addition that will fill Bushwacker's slot when next year rolls around. All we need is a passable replacement for guide and kuldotha will remain perfectly intact with rotation.
This card excites me a lot, because it's not just an addition to Kuldotha Red, but it's an addition that will fill Bushwacker's slot when next year rolls around. All we need is a passable replacement for guide and kuldotha will remain perfectly intact with rotation.

Yay! The metagame is becoming even more stagnant and unoriginal!

I'm convinced that I win less than 20% of games where my opponent casts a Goblin Guide on turn one after winning the die roll.

That number seems about right to me.  The "downside" doesn't mean anything if the opponent is dead on T4.  (After their T3)  Now if there was a way to pitch those lands to kill it, then I could see it being more fair, or even pushed farther.

Super Goblin Guide
CMC = R
P/T = 3/3
Haste
When Super Goblin Guide attacks, defending player reveals the top card of his or her library.  If its a land card, that player may put it into their hand, or discard it to deal 3 damage to Super Goblin Guide.

It would be even swingier this way, but would probably drop the overall win percentage.

-MT Head
Can't help chuckling when I imagine a Goblin Wardriver trying to spur a couple of white soldiers on by screaming at the top of his lung. Laughing
I used to play a non-budget version of the "Eldrazi Wardriver" build (Siege-Gang Commander, Bloodbraid Elf, Eldrazi Monument, etc.) and it is TONS of fun to play. You are basically running a ramp deck that's vulnerable to totally different hate cards (Wrath, Vampire Hexmage) so no one prepares for it.
Goblin Wardriver reminds me of Goblin General. On the plus side, Wardriver costs less and gives +1/+0 to all my attacking critters, not just the goblins. In an aggresive deck, I don't see the lack of toughness boost to be a major issue. A nice card for goblin or aggressive decks.
Mist Dragon art by Al Davidson

Yeah, because Kuldotha is REALLY stagnating the meta. All it is is an alternative RDW, which will always be around.

Yeah, because Kuldotha is REALLY stagnating the meta. All it is is an alternative RDW, which will always be around.

Rejoicing that a deck archetype "will remain perfectly intact with rotation" smacks of everything that I hate about how competitive players perceive and interact with the game.
Rejoicing that a deck archetype "will remain perfectly intact with rotation" smacks of everything that I hate about how competitive players perceive and interact with the game.

Yeah, there's nothing worse than somebody who wants the deck he spent good money on to be playable for another year. Do you even play competitive magic at all? If you paid good money for a deck, you would rejoice too that it wouldn't get completely shafted in such a short time.

And a deck being viable has nothing to do with the diversity of the format. If you're angry about that, complain about really good mythics and small sets. Not about the cheapest deck in the format staying intact for another year.
If you're angry about that, complain about really good mythics and small sets. Not about the cheapest deck in the format staying intact for another year.

I have many problems with the competitive side of the game, but I'd much rather complain about the ones players do to each other than the ones that Wizards does because it's more profitable and thus will never end.

- Doug

"Collectability is just a code-word for ripping you off." - David Sirlin

Trusty Machete > Darksteel Axe.

I don't want to agree with this, but I kind of do. Although there's a lot of specific equipment hate in Scars block. So...it's not terribly cut and dry.
The only thing trusty Machete is better at doing than Darksteel Axe is giving a creature one extra toughness.  Darksteel Axe, however, can't easily be removed from the field.  A simple Shatter will get rid of the machete but not a Darksteel Axe.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
How about Signal Pest instead of Darksteel Axe?