Pax Extraterrestria

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is this actually available anywhere?  It sounds like fun, and I would like to try running it. 
I haven't found it, but it's been a while since I've looked.
Apparently it was only made available to the GMs at one convention (I would assume PAX). It's an adventure that takes place in GW-style Seattle.

So, unless someone at that convention offers it up, I don't think we'll see it. I asked Mike Robles about it once, and never received a response.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
It's available to order and run for conventions now too, as part of the WPN "Convention Pack".
I enquired about running it at a convention, through the rep my FLGS uses, and got not just a negative reply, but a sort of 'how dare you! who told you about that?' response.  The owner was a little surprised by the vehemence of it.

gribble: what channel would you use to get to that.  I'm planning to run Gamma World at two conventions this year.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

gribble: what channel would you use to get to that.  I'm planning to run Gamma World at two conventions this year.

You have to be signed up through the Wizards Play Network (WPN - the replacement for the RPGA), and then you can order events. One type of event you can order is a convention, and from there you can order the "Convention Pack" of adventures.
Is anybody here a member of this WPN? I went to the page but really couldn't find how you sign up for this.

OK, duh.... I see sign up now.  Before I do this, will I get Gamma World support? Is there any GW support for the WPN?
So I checked in with my loacal Game shop, and the guy there is the WPN rep. He checked for anything Gamma World related and there is nothing listed. Just Magic, D&D. So I guess until they add something in there for another convention there is nothing.

I would like to see a GW encounters like they do for D&D.

I don't think it's listed under Gamma World. It's the convention support pack, and it's only available if you're running a convention, not just your normal games day.
This time around, Gamma World /is/ a D&D product...

...I also have to wonder what constitutes a convention?  Do you have to have a booked-up hotel and a bad attitude, or does a one-day event with a couple dozen games count?

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Tony, that is a very good question, and might be worth asking WotC about, if you're interested. If you choose to do so, please definitely let us know what you discover!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Also curious about the answer to that.
does a one-day event with a couple dozen games count?

afaik, yes: that should be fine.

Just FYI, it's also possible to schedule the convention to download the packet and then cancel the event.

Not that I would know anything about that...
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
I was at PAX and got to play the thing and can give a quick run-down of what I remember of it as a substitue for the real deal if people want?
Just FYI, it's also possible to schedule the convention to download the packet and then cancel the event.

It would sure be terrible if someone with the proper credentials would do such a thing, then put said materials up for grabs somewhere on the internet. I really hope nobody does that.
Speaking of the Pax Extraterrestria adventure:

I just now viewed an AT&T commericial depicting...

*spoiler*

... little red flowers blossoming all at once from green vines that were wrapped around the Seattle Space Needle.

Gamma World... rethink possible.
Nice! And the tagline makes the perfect vegepygmy or swamp thing (plant yeti?) adventure intro:
"AT&T covers 97% of all Americans."
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I wish they would make this available on D&D Insider. It sounds like a great adventure.

Me want. 

It would sure be terrible if someone with the proper credentials would do such a thing, then put said materials up for grabs somewhere on the internet. I really hope nobody does that.

That would be terrible. If any such person did something like that I should want them to e-mail me with the evidence so that I might report them to the proper authorities.

This is just a terrible, deceitful world we live in.
I would also welcome the opportunity to report such a bad, bad person to the proper authorities if someone were kind enough to enable me.

Not with this particular Module it was ran only at PAX Prime last year since it was sanctioned by WotC themselves they were not going to cancel it and keep the stuff. It was the DM reward for running it there. Those of us that played it got a booster pack of the GW cards to keep. I played in it twice Sealed
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Not with this particular Module it was ran only at PAX Prime last year since it was sanctioned by WotC themselves they were not going to cancel it and keep the stuff. It was the DM reward for running it there. Those of us that played it got a booster pack of the GW cards to keep. I played in it twice

Actually, the schedule/download/cancel works perfectly well. The event only includes electronic versions of the files so there is no material for WotC to keep or want returned.

Kerry

Not with this particular Module it was ran only at PAX Prime last year since it was sanctioned by WotC themselves they were not going to cancel it and keep the stuff. It was the DM reward for running it there. Those of us that played it got a booster pack of the GW cards to keep. I played in it twice

Actually, the schedule/download/cancel works perfectly well. The event only includes electronic versions of the files so there is no material for WotC to keep or want returned.

Kerry

I dont think they had it in electronic format or were letting anyone sanction it since it was a PAX Exclusive it wasn't ran at GenCon even.

Edited: Oops Kjordon schooled me there Wink I shoulda looked before I lept.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I dont think they had it in electronic format or were letting anyone sanction it since it was a PAX Exclusive it wasn't ran at GenCon even.

I think you're misunderstanding the thread posts. Here are the relevant quotes for the availability of the adventure...
It's available to order and run for conventions now too, as part of the WPN "Convention Pack".

You have to be signed up through the Wizards Play Network (WPN - the replacement for the RPGA), and then you can order events. One type of event you can order is a convention, and from there you can order the "Convention Pack" of adventures.

I don't think it's listed under Gamma World. It's the convention support pack, and it's only available if you're running a convention, not just your normal games day.

I have downloaded the adventure myself so I can verify that it is available through WPN.
How does this adventure compare to "Trouble in Freesboro"? Similar in structure? 4-5 encounters loosely connected. What sorts of maps if any did you use?
How does this adventure compare to "Trouble in Freesboro"? Similar in structure? 4-5 encounters loosely connected. What sorts of maps if any did you use?

The adventure uses the maps in the original Gamma World box set.

Critical hits did a pretty good summary of play: http://critical-hits.com/2010/10/13/gamma-world-actual-play-pax-extraterrestria-at-dc-game-day/

It was the DM reward for running it there.

Actually, there was never a print run of this adventure (you might be thinking of Freesboro). The PAX DM's used the electronic copy, and their reward for running it was a Gamma World box set.
OKay, I admit I'm kinda slow.  I just discovered Gamma World, just to discover that it's kinda dead.  So sad!

I've tried signing up for the WPN, but when I sign it, it just sits there and keeps loading the sign-in progress bar over and over.

It there any way for someone to email the WPN "Convention Pack"?  Or the Pax Extraterrestria adventure?

Thanks!  
OKay, I admit I'm kinda slow.  I just discovered Gamma World, just to discover that it's kinda dead.  So sad!

I've tried signing up for the WPN, but when I sign it, it just sits there and keeps loading the sign-in progress bar over and over.

It there any way for someone to email the WPN "Convention Pack"?  Or the Pax Extraterrestria adventure?

Thanks!  

I also only recently purchased this version of Gamma World- after reading about how easy to use the rules are and how quickly and easily you could convert it to other genre of games. I'm really liking the way that you can slap together an enjoyable game in a matter of a few hours rather than days of planning for D&D-based games. I've already built most of a solo campaign for my wife to go from levels 1-3, and am planning to carry it out as long as she is interested.

I enjoy the campy nature of the game- it's a refreshing chance from the gritty world of Fallout, which I dearly love as a setting but feel is too dark for a lot of folks. The randomness of creating a character is actually a big draw for me; you don;t get to choose how you start out in real life, now do ya? I have house-ruled a bit out of the box (pun intended) like being able to salvage things off defeated enemies and adding in medium armor.

What's the WPN (I shy away from Wizards' online stuff) and Pax Extraterrestria?