Dungeon 186 - Mistwatch

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Globals/Images/Icons/DnDi_Large.png)Dragon 186
Mistwatch.

By Robert J. Schwalb.

Mistwatch was once a serene lakeside town, which is now under threat from dark forces wishing to claim it for their own sinister purposes.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/186_mistwatch.jpg)

Talk about this article here!
This article was excellent and so much so, I can't really think of anything to complain about. That's a really good thing.

Um... isn't Mistwatch the minotaur town?

I mean, you couldn't come up with ANY other name? Really?

I was looking forward to more on the Minotaurs...

Next up I guess is the famous city of the Gnomes: Baldur's Gate!

"What is the sort of thing that I do care about is a failure to seriously evaluate what does and doesn't work in favor of a sort of cargo cult posturing. And yes, it's painful to read design notes columns that are all just "So D&D 3.5 sort of had these problems. We know people have some issues with them. What a puzzler! But we think we have a solution in the form of X", where X is sort of a half-baked version of an idea that 4e executed perfectly well and which worked fine." - Lesp

Nice Backdrop article. I really liked it.
I wonder is there is a little bit of Nentir Vale; Gazetteer in this...Wink

Anyway, solid gold. Cheers mr. Schwalb  !

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Great article. I don't really have much need for new adventures, but this was quite an enjoyable reading.
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
i am linking to this thread as the official discussion thread.

@Aegeri:  thank you for creating this thread.  nice work on the formatting.
An excellent article; I hope we see more like this in the future.  I also suspect this was originally intended for the Nentir Vale Gazetteer, so hopefully we will wind up seeing that entire book on DDI.

I did notice that a couple of times it refers to Lake Wintermist as "the sea" which makes me wonder if this was originally inteded to be elsewhere.

I love D&D more than I could ever love a human child.

Excellent article! As a DM who uses the Nentir Vale extensively for my 4e campaign, I'll sending some adventures here in the very near future. For me, this article has the perfect mix of fluff and crunch. Keep up the good work!

A few bits of constructive criticism:

- The map is so beautiful it needs a page of its own. In this smaller format, it's hard to make out the details. Hopefully WotC does not stop updating the image and map gallery when they stop making PDF compilations.

- The article really needs to include an updated map of the Nentir Vale showing where exactly Mistwatch is located. If WotC wants to keep the Vale as its 4e hub, this map would go a long way to helping new DM's put this town into their campaigns.

- I'd like to see a little more info on the role this town played in the Nentir Vale with specific links that tie it in with the other towns and adventure sites. There are a few mentioned, but overall the town feels like it could be anywhere.

Overall, a very well done piece. Thank you!
This is an excellent example of how a Dungeon Article should read. It has a strong backstory, but is 'loose' enough to allow for individual DM customization. The NPC's (both with & without Stats) are compelling. It also hints at 'something bigger' going on so may be used as a hook or intro into other adventures. There's lots of gold to mine in those 11 pages.

In my own Home campaign, I have the Post-ShadowFell Keep Ruins rebuilt by Shadar-Kai knights loyal to the Raven Queen. They have taken the Orcus controlled Fortress on the Shadowfell side which is hinted in that adventure and now control the gate to/from the Shadowfell completely.
As they are strangers to the Nentir Vale, there is a great deal of mistrust towards them which I have seeded in my campaign.
The backstory of this article (Mistress Ranala & company), along with the close proximity Mistwatch has to Shadowfell Keep will greatly add to the tension and suspicions concerning the Shadar-kai in my version of the Nentir Vale. Very few tweeks are required.

Thumbs up & good job Mr. Schwalb (and all panel members whose ideas this article was born from)
I wasn't expecting much, but this article definitely surprised me. The place feels something like a 'Domain of Dread' in the making - sinking into the dread of the Shadowfell, but not quite cut off and completely hopeless yet. Nice work!
Mistwatch is BOTH a Minotaur Town and a town on Lake Wintermist.  The two are separate towns, just as there are many Edens, Yorks, Salems, etc. 

However, it is an unfortunate duplication.  This one came first however – it appeared on the DMG 1 Map of the Nentir Vale, and was further detailed in the DM's Kit's section on the Nentir Vale.  I'm really excited for a full article on it.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Mistwatch is BOTH a Minotaur Town and a town on Lake Wintermist.  The two are separate towns, just as there are many Edens, Yorks, Salems, etc. 

However, it is an unfortunate duplication.  This one came first however – it appeared on the DMG 1 Map of the Nentir Vale, and was further detailed in the DM's Kit's section on the Nentir Vale.  I'm really excited for a full article on it.

Sorry, but you're wrong about it being on the DMG1 map. I've got it right here in front of me and nowhere do I see any town labelled Mistwatch. I've also checked the DM's Kit and can find zero reference to Mistwatch, either in the book or in the adventure. I checked the Monster Vault adventure too. Nothing there either. The first I've heard of it was in this article.
What a breath of fresh air! Over the past year I have kind of lost faith with wizards and their content, now if they will give us more story and a compiled resource book or PDF of the area with all related articles from dragon and dungeon webzines....

Warren
posted from my mobile device.
I, for one, really liked it. A joyous romp through lovecraftian horrors. Nice and evocative.
Mad Scientist
I overwrote the old PDF file with the new one after the update, but I didn't bother to check what was actually updated.  Did anyone do a comparison?
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon