01/18/2011 SF: "Double Dipping"

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Six mana, huh?
I'm sure there's plenty of silly possible, but drawing cards in the lategame is pretty much win-more, if even that.  How many cards are really going to come out of something that's swinging for four in the air?
Six mana, huh?
I'm sure there's plenty of silly possible, but drawing cards in the lategame is pretty much win-more, if even that.  How many cards are really going to come out of something that's swinging for four in the air?

The obvious application is Commander. The slightly less obvious application behind it is generic free-for-all multiplayer. Drawing extra cards for each opponent goes a long way in keeping you in the game, or putting it away under an avalanche of cards in your hand.

Check out yesterday's article by Doug Beyer for something that's more up the alley you're looking.
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
That card is nuts.
That guy really loves Words of Wisdom.
Definitely want this for Commander.  Drawing cards is sweet.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
This card combos well with Molten Psyche - if the opponent has cards in his hand so that the Psyche can make him draw that many more cards (if you have four and he has three, Psyche + Sphinx nets you a total of ten new cards).  But both of them desperately want there to be a "target player draws # cards" spell, and SOM doesn't have one.  I hope MB will, because my attempts to build around Molten Psyche have suffered horribly from the fact that by the time I reach metalcraft, my opponent usually has one or two cards at most in hand.  You really need to be able to force-feed him an Ancestral or something in order to have the Psyche do anything relevant.  And "spells you control can't be countered" would help a lot too with this plan.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
This card's ability is nuts, especially in multiplayer.  Definitely going to be a prime target for removal.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
This guy is what Psychic Possession wishes it was.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I'm not a huge fan of this design. Drawing (effectively) three cards per turn is fairly similar to any "draw a crapload of cards and destroy the game" card.

Also, how often will this ability be any different to "draw two extra cards per turn"? How often will an opponent draw extra cards while this is on the battlefield? Not very often, but mainly for the reason that the drawing of cards (outside the draw step) just doesn't happen all that regularly anyway.

In a multiplayer game, it will play slightly differently, also drawing a crapload of cards. I'm not sure that drawing three cards a turn is all that different to drawing 5 or 6 though.

This strikes me as a card that just does something simple (drawing cards), but in an unnecessarily complicated way.

I hope Timmy likes this card anyway. :P
The first decklist is an ugly pile which has no way of winning until it lands the 4/6 flyer and nothing worth drawing except for another copy.
I am hopping by turn 6 that the game is well in my favor and the right cards are in my hand, I guess this card could help you if you are drawing tons of lands and not enough "win" cards.  I would have liked to have seen something like "When oponent draws a card, bounce 2 target permanents", for 6 mana.
I am hopping by turn 6 that the game is well in my favor and the right cards are in my hand, I guess this card could help you if you are drawing tons of lands and not enough "win" cards.  I would have liked to have seen something like "When oponent draws a card, bounce 2 target permanents", for 6 mana.

Obviously you've never played against tidespout tyrant.
Obviously you've never played against tidespout tyrant.

Against, no.  With, yes.
Thought Reflection + Consecrated Sphinx + Windfall + 7 cards in hand in a 4-player game is, I think, up to 98 cards. Woo!
Dunno why I would play this card unless I was playing Commander.

I think they shoulda just give him something a little more unique and then made it Legendary. I'm tired of Sharum Commander Decks, we could use another Legendary Sphinx that didn't have anything specific to do with artificats to go in a Mono Blue Spinx Commander Deck.

Anyways, this Sphinx absolutely LOVES Dream Fracture.

Edit: I should also say, as far as art goes I think the art for this card is really weak.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.

Looks like Serious Fun is the right column for this card. It's great in multiplayer, obviously. I already like red and blue for multiplayer; casting Act of Treason on one players' creatures to block an attack coming from another player (just for one example) is lots of fun, and that requires Teferi or Leyline of Anticipation. Well, if I get any copies of this card, I'll definitely look for those each-player-draws effects in my collection and throw them in.

Yet another card that's great to combo this with: Cerebral Vortex. I deal two damage to my opponent (at least two, at least three if I cast it on my opponent's turn, and more if I also use any of the card-drawing effects in the article) and get at least a two-card advantage for just three mana. There are also a few black cards that would work well with this like all that red draw-and-discard stuff. For example, Sign in Blood and Seizan, Perverter of Truth, and probably more.

As for one-on-one play, this isn't as good, but it's still usable. It's still a 4/6 with flying which will give you at least a few more cards for 6CC. In draft, probably a first pick if you're committed to blue, third or fourth at worst if you're uncommitted. In Constructed, I wouldn't be surprised to see this pop up in control decks now and then. Not a chase rare, but I'll bet it will show up now and then.

The card is also good in Prismatic, for an Emperor, in Planechase, 2HG, Momir, and generally in any slower alternate format.

As always, I find humorous the posts that just assume that a standard duel is the only way to play the game. 

I know that I will be picking up a few of these, simply because I love alternate formats.

-MT Head
This is going in my Commandeer deck. (And no, I didn't mean Commander!)
Six mana, huh?

I don’t know… Drawing cards in the late game, when your hand is normally less full and you’re searching for gas, looks great to me. A 4-power flier, while nothing to scoff at, is not exactly game over on the spot, and it is very possible that your opponent kills Consacrated Sphinx before you can finish him with it, so I don’t see how it’s just “win more”. But if he’s tapped out when you play the Sphinx, or his removal is main phase only,  you draw at least two cards off it, and if it gets killed after that, that’s at least a 3-for-1. I’m not saying this is a card for constructed duels; it’ll probably end up being just as rejected as its close cousin Sphinx of Magosi. But still, if you compare the two, while Consacrated kills a lot more slowly, which isn’t too problematic for a control deck, it’s more efficient at drawing cards. Drawing for no mana after the initial investment is of course superior to paying each time, in that you can use your mana to play what you drew. So I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility entirely.

In multiplayer, this is just a house, provided that your deck can take advantage of it. Ideally, it would mean having something more threatening (in terms of winning the game) to play after the Sphinx, as well as a good amount of removal.

Something else of note is that such a card advantage granting fattie is exactly the kind of thing you want to accelerate into. Mana accelerating cards are extra mana sources that can become dead fast, so using them to play something that draws a lot of cards to compensate is ideal. I dream of playing Consacrated Sphinx turn 3 on my free-for-all table, with the help of a one-mana accelerator and either Lotus Cobra or Coalition Relic. I think I’ll be trying to build around him, probably in a Bant shell.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
I really dislike this card.  Intensely dislike, even.  Wizards' idea of "fun" multiplayer/EDH cards seems to be going down a precipitous path of multiplayer parasitism, where the power level gets so much higher with more players in the game, that they have a way of running away with an unprepared table to the point where sometimes the best strategy is for a player to scoop instantly.

Broken multiplayer cards are ones that allow you to use each other player's turn, every turn.  I think Seedborn Muse deserves to be banned in EDH, since it so badly breaks table parity.  Now, with cards like Luminarch Ascension, Lighthouse Chronologist, and especially this guy, the game can end rather quickly if the threat isn't dealt with on the spot.

My EDH playgroup doesn't play much spot removal, since it just doesn't make sense.  If this Sphinx hits, and the only player with a Wrath effect is 2 seats away, Sphinx player just got 4 cards, and I know that a few of those cards will likely be able to help rebuy this broken, stupid Sphinx.

Mind's Eye is a good card that is still widely played.  Why break the mold in both directions like this?  Was drawing 1 card, FOR FREE, really not good enough?
Why, oh why, did this thing have to be Phyrexian? I pretty much have to have it for my Isperia EDH deck, but I'm going to wince to myself every time I play it.

At least the name is generic. I'm already hoping it's going to be reprinted and the new version won't have that repellent albatross hanging over its head.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

This...thing is insane. And absolutely playable in non-multiplayer games. If your opponent doesn't already have the Doom Blade when you cast it, they're in a ton of trouble.
blah blah metal lyrics

I do think the article is kind of disappointing in that the decks in it rely on simply attacking with medium-to-big creatures to actually win. With the possible exception of the Browbeat deck, all the cards this guy would let you draw in the decks in this article are just used to attack, block or draw more cards. Boring.

My suggestion: milling. This plus Jace's Erasure will mill your opponent for at least two cards on their turn and one on yours without doing anything else. Add in some of the "each player draws" effects from the article to mill them a lot more, Elixir of Immortality to keep from milling yourself, and a whole bunch of bounce, tapping effects or counterspells to survive while the milling does its work, and the sphinx will eat up their library really quickly. (Although, this is more a From the Lab idea than Serious Fun.)

...why IS it Phyrexian?
...why IS it Phyrexian?

Because it's met compleation, obviously.
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs
Why, oh why, did this thing have to be Phyrexian? I pretty much have to have it for my Isperia EDH deck, but I'm going to wince to myself every time I play it.

At least the name is generic. I'm already hoping it's going to be reprinted and the new version won't have that repellent albatross hanging over its head.

I didn't know you hated Phyrexia, zammm.

I guess most of the Colation fighters and old-timers can't get along Phyrexian at all. ;)
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!

I guess most of the Colation fighters and old-timers can't get along Phyrexian at all. ;)

Dang right wippersnapper!

-MT Takes Zammm's Side
For the best game of chicken ever cast Mirrorweave in your upkeep!  Also possibly the worst time ever to properly keep track of triggers.

Hate isn't a strong enough word. I loathe it. I despise it. I detest it. I resort to violent gestures in midair when trying to articulate my hatred of it because the words that would be necessary to properly communicate the full extent of my antipathy do not exist. I'm grinding my teeth in anger while writing this very post.

Hate isn't a strong enough word. I loathe it. I despise it. I detest it. I resort to violent gestures in midair when trying to articulate my hatred of it because the words that would be necessary to properly communicate the full extent of my antipathy do not exist. I'm grinding my teeth in anger while writing this very post.

...why?

God! So, say, if the Phyrexians win, you won't even check the resulting set? (provided of course that in this case it's 100% Phyrexian)

I don't know how I feel about Phyrexians. I used to hate them back in the day, but the design revamp that they've received and the way they are acting now feels a lot more interesting for me. Seriously, they looked like puke in the past. Now they look more like Phyrexians should look, I think. Like the "compleated" clerics we've seen already. Maybe I should convert. Or not. I started 100% Mirran. Now I'm 60% Mirran, I'd say.
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I don't know how I feel about Phyrexians. I used to hate them back in the day, but the design revamp that they've received and the way they are acting now feels a lot more interesting for me. Seriously, they looked like puke in the past. Now they look more like Phyrexians should look, I think. Like the "compleated" clerics we've seen already. Maybe I should convert. Or not. I started 100% Mirran. Now I'm 60% Mirran, I'd say.

I don't think they are likely to give you any choice about converting.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

...why?

Because they are absolutely everything I hate in speculative fiction; they pervert everything I believe in about the relationship between technology, society, and humanity, and exalt the result.

Metaphorically speaking, if I was a militant vegan, the Phyrexians would be a society of people that only eat fruits and vegetables...that are made of meat. Fruits and vegetables created by the systematic torture and painful mutilation of both animals and people into unnatural shapes and forms in a twisted mockery of plant life. A society which takes immense pride and satisfaction in the fact that it does this, and constantly strives to find ways to make the process more painful for the creatures involved.

So... Phyrexians are just really bad cartoon villains, huh?
For the best game of chicken ever cast Mirrorweave in your upkeep!  Also possibly the worst time ever to properly keep track of triggers.

Depends on how many creatures there are in play, and how many players. If just one opponent and just one creature besides the Sphinx, it's probably manageable. Because remember, each draw is triggered by the other one, so after every person draws a card, the other person puts a trigger on the stack, and they get to choose whether to draw or not. If they choose to not draw, the minigame ends, and if they choose to draw, they draw and then the other person chooses. So to summarize the way it works, the person whose turn it is draws their card for the turn, and the second player chooses to draw zero or two cards, and if he chose to draw two then the first player chooses to draw zero or two cards, and it goes back and forth until someone runs out of cards or both people choose not to draw.

But wait, that neglected all the triggers from people drawing the second card. So after someone chooses not to draw, everyone goes back down the stack and gets to choose again? And if anyone does, then other people get to choose again? Or something? And everyone would have a chance to cast any instants they've drawn in between draws, right? And that's just the simplest possible case. Screw it, you're right, this is more complicated than a Coat of Arms on the battlefield with two overlapping tribes playing against each other.

...why?

Because they are absolutely everything I hate in speculative fiction; they pervert everything I believe in about the relationship between technology, society, and humanity, and exalt the result. Metaphorically speaking, if I was a militant vegan, the Phyrexians would be a society of people that only eat fruits and vegetables...that are made of meat. Fruits and vegetables created by the systematic torture and painful mutilation of both animals and people into unnatural shapes and forms in a twisted mockery of plant life. A society which takes immense pride and satisfaction in the fact that it does this, and constantly strives to find ways to make the process more painful for the creatures involved.

I think I see what you're saying, but that metaphor is almost causing me physical pain. If I understand you correctly, why not just say "I believe that a technological singularity is both possible and good, and Phyrexia perverts that utterly."? Or if you absolutely must use a figure of speech, how about "like a Vogon to Shakespeare?"

...why?

Because they are absolutely everything I hate in speculative fiction; they pervert everything I believe in about the relationship between technology, society, and humanity, and exalt the result.

Metaphorically speaking, if I was a militant vegan, the Phyrexians would be a society of people that only eat fruits and vegetables...that are made of meat. Fruits and vegetables created by the systematic torture and painful mutilation of both animals and people into unnatural shapes and forms in a twisted mockery of plant life. A society which takes immense pride and satisfaction in the fact that it does this, and constantly strives to find ways to make the process more painful for the creatures involved.

I'm going to leave aside my certainly flame-inducing feelings about transhumanism and just point out that you're describing the exact plot of Troll 2.
I don't think they are likely to give you any choice about converting.

They are when you are badass Planeswalker that they can't take down.

Now that's a metaphor!
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
I'm going to leave aside my certainly flame-inducing feelings about transhumanism and just point out that you're describing the exact plot of Troll 2.

Exactly--Troll 2 was an abomination!

Sign In to post comments