Extended Naya

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is naya?
Show

Naya decks are built using the :W::G::R: shard of the color pie. Most naya decks are aggro, zoo like decks.

What are the creatures in the naya deck?
Show

Well, Naya decks come in a few different builds. Some feature big budget cards like Vengevine, Fauna Shaman, Knight Of the Reliquary, Figure Of Destiny, and Lotus Cobra. Other builds are more straight-forward and just run the basic Wild Nacatl, Woolly Thoctar, Bloodbraid Elf game plan.

What are some historic Naya lists?
Show

Naya Lightsaber was used to win the 2009 world championships. It featured a full suite of Baneslayer Angels in the main deck.
Fauna Naya was used to win the 2010 GB National Championships by Joseph Jackson.

What about some current extended Naya lists?
Show

Kevin Clarkson's 3rd place Vengevine Naya list from San Diego PTQ for PT Nagoya, Jan 8th 2011
Misha Gurevich's 8th place Naya Aggro list from Indianapolis PTQ for PT Nagoya, Jan 8th 2011
Nathaniel Chafe's 1st place Vengevine Naya list from Roanoke PTQ for PT Nagoya, Jan 8th 2011
Chad Kastel's 7th place Vengevine Naya list from Roanoke PTQ for PT Nagoya, Jan 8th 2011
Buuchan's 2nd place Vengevine Naya list from on-line PTQ for PT Nagoya, Jan 7th 2011
Joran De Wageneer's 3rd place Vengevine Naya list from Amsterdam PTQ for PT Nagoya, Jan 2nd 2011
Matt Nass expermiemental Scapeshift/Naya list from his ChannelFireball.com column "Getting Nassty" Dec 28th 2010
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
The only recommendation I could make is being more in-depth with describing card choices and sideboard options, but the rest looks fine.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
I don't have as much in depth on sideboard options, because I am a bit rusty with Naya, however I can explain a few of the card choices:

Qasali Pridemage is a common sideboard or main deck choice. It's an answer to Prismatic Omen, Tempered Steel, Bitterblossom, and Eldrazi Conscription.

Cunning Sparkmage is hellish for enemy Fae lists to deal with. It's also solid versus some RDW/Goblins builds and and definitely relevant in the Mythic match, since they focus so much on ramping and it can easily take that away from them.

Ranger Of Eos gives the deck more of a late game. It can fetch any bomb :1mana: creature from Wild Nacatl to Scute Mob, Figure Of Destiny, or Dragonmaster Outcast.

Vexing Shusher gives Fae headaches.

Great Sable Stag is the anti Fae/Jund tech of choice, as they have few ways of dealing with it.

Kitchen Finks helps versus RDW.

Burrenton Forge-Tender is another anti-RDW option.

Fauna Shaman/Vengevine varients tend to run more creature heavy. The use Bloodbraid Elf to ensure live cascades and Vengevine Recovery.

Ajani Vengeant and Elspeth, Knight-Errant are the planeswalkers of choice because of their ability to flex between aggro and control positions.

Knight Of the Reliquary is a utility card. It can save a creature by tutoring up Sejiri Steppe or act as a beefy beater in the mid/late game. It can also function as mana ramp, as it can sacrifice tapped lands lands to fetch untapped ones.

Lotus Cobra is a rarer choice, but still a solid one. It allows Baneslayer inclusive builds to ramp it out as early as turn three.

Obstinate Baloth is the anti-red/jund tech.

Scapeshift/Prismatic Omen hybrid versions run this 2 card combo as a secondary threat that pushes through more victories.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
It would probably be a good idea to get those card choices in the opening thread.

I am working on a decklist to start playing with for some upcoming PTQs. I am trying to finalize a decklist before I sleeve up next week and play a few games. It would be nice to get some input on my list.

Creatures: 29
4x Bloodbraid Elf
4x Vengevine
2x Wall of Omens
3x Gaddock Teeg
4x Qasali Pridemage
3x Great Sable Stag
4x Boggart Ram-Gang
3x Baneslayer Angel
2x Sun Titan

Other Spells: 6
4x Path to Exile
2x Lightning Bolt

Land: 25
4x Raging Ravine
4x Wooded Bastion
2x Fire-Lit Thicket
2x Rugged Prairie
3x Arid Mesa
3x Tectonic Edge
3x Forest
2x Mountain
2x Plains

Sideboard:
4x Kitchen Finks
3x Volcanic Fallout
2x Gaea's Revenge
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Austere Command
1x Great Sable Stag
1x Baneslayer Angel

some other ideas I came across that might be worth including on the OP revolves around using Ranger of Eos to help recur Vengevine with cards like Wild Nacatl, Figure of Destiny, Noble Hierarch, Scute Mob and Dragonmaster Outcast. I was also considering Fracturing Gust as tech vs esper artifacts.
It would probably be a good idea to get those card choices in the opening thread.

I am working on a decklist to start playing with for some upcoming PTQs. I am trying to finalize a decklist before I sleeve up next week and play a few games. It would be nice to get some input on my list.

Creatures: 29
4x Bloodbraid Elf
4x Vengevine
2x Wall of Omens
3x Gaddock Teeg
4x Qasali Pridemage
3x Great Sable Stag
4x Boggart Ram-Gang
3x Baneslayer Angel
2x Sun Titan

4x Path to Exile
2x Lightning Bolt

4x Raging Ravine
4x Wooded Bastion
2x Fire-Lit Thicket
2x Rugged Prairie
3x Arid Mesa
3x Tectonic Edge
3x Forest
2x Mountain
2x Plains

Sideboard:
4x Kitchen Finks
3x Volcanic Fallout
2x Gaea's Revenge
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Austere Command
1x Great Sable Stag
1x Baneslayer Angel

some other ideas I came across that might be worth including on the OP revolves around using Ranger of Eos to help recur Vengevine with cards like Wild Nacatl, Figure of Destiny, Noble Hierarch, Scute Mob and Dragonmaster Outcast. I was also considering Fracturing Gust as tech vs esper artifacts.

At the risk of sounding incredibly insensetive you sound like you have never played or even bothered to read any of the Naya lists at all. I posted a number of links that link DIRECTLY to deck lists....

1. Wall Of Omens is very bad. You are NOT a control deck. Repeat, you are not a control deck.
2. Ranger Of Eos is normally a 1-2 of because it gets Figure Of Destiny and yes, it can get you gas/vengevine recursion fuel.
3. Repeat, you are NOT a control deck... Austere Command is generally a horrible card choice. What are you expecting it to do?
4. Your curve is a little wonky, all of the Naya lists have some form of mana ramp.

I will put a minor revision in the original post to go more indepth the basic synergies that Naya requires.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Well strange, it won't let me edit the original post. It keeps linking me to the reply page.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Wall is in there for some extra CA and gas and to help vs some aggro matchups, but I was considering dropping it for some Fauna Shaman.

I did mention the Ranger package in my post, which you had not mentioned at all until you were telling me my build was wrong.

Austere Command is a card I was considering using vs Esper Steel and other various matchups, although I think it may be too slow, so Fracturing Gust is another card I was considering for that slot. It is not there for anything else.

I know all of the other Naya lists have ramp, and well, I dont really feel like that is necessary. Maybe it is, I dont know. I have very little experience playing a Naya deck. This is just where I am starting with my build.
Wall is in there for some extra CA and gas and to help vs some aggro matchups, but I was considering dropping it for some Fauna Shaman.

I did mention the Ranger package in my post, which you had not mentioned at all until you were telling me my build was wrong.

Austere Command is a card I was considering using vs Esper Steel and other various matchups, although I think it may be too slow, so Fracturing Gust is another card I was considering for that slot. It is not there for anything else.

I know all of the other Naya lists have ramp, and well, I dont really feel like that is necessary. Maybe it is, I dont know. I have very little experience playing a Naya deck. This is just where I am starting with my build.

1. I DID mention Ranger Of Eos already. The rest of the thread wasn't actually for my health. I know a lot about Naya (note all the links I was able to provide), and even played it for 3 full months. I know the deck very well, and was sharing that knowledge in this thread.

Ranger Of Eos gives the deck more of a late game. It can fetch any bomb creature from Wild Nacatl to Scute Mob, Figure Of Destiny, or Dragonmaster Outcast.

2. Why play Austere Command when Creeping Corrosion is just better? Fracturing Gust does have a lot of merit as well.

3. How about you start off with one of the linked lists and go from there instead of starting with your own thing and then finding yourself falling in line with what the deck's track record is?

Ramp is in the deck (if for no other reason) turn 2 Woolly Thoctar or Knight Of the Reliquary. Dropping a threat before your opponent's counterspells come on-line is amazing.

4. Wall Is NOT card advantage until it kills something or makes your opponent expend a card on it. It is not even tempo advantage, as it's a defensive card in an aggro deck. There is a better case for Elvish Visionary, and even that is a bad card choice. Vengevine and Ranger Of Eos are more likely to provide card advantage. As is a card like Stoneforge Mystic.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I did not see Ranger of Eos on your list, and I am pretty sure I double checked before I commented on it.

I actually got advice on the MTGSalvation forums, so I think I will just keep my deck list there.
I did not see Ranger of Eos on your list, and I am pretty sure I double checked before I commented on it.

I actually got advice on the MTGSalvation forums, so I think I will just keep my deck list there.

1. It was, and it was you who told me to try to move that portion into the opening thread. It's easy to miss, since it wasn't in the opening thread, but in like the second post I made on the page.

2. As long as you are getting the help you request somewhere. Good luck with the deck.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I suppose it would be better to have some discussion than not to have one. I will post an updated decklist of what I am working on.

I have gone through a bunch of deck lists, checked out results from players running Naya in the Grand Prix last weekend, and studied their weaknesses. The main problem matchup seemed to be the RG Valakut/Scapeshift/Prismatic Omen deck. Runed Halo and Leyline of Sanctity were obvious choices to answer, and I decided to go with the Leyline to help me a: save mana by possibly dropping for free, and b: avoid cascading into non creature spells when trying to recur Vengevine.

A fairly experienced player said he dropped the Ranger package due to the deck already having 8 4drops and not needing the utilities he was grabbing. The only cards I would want to grab with Ranger are Scute Mob, Goldmeadow Harrier and Scattershot Archer (great anti-Fae card). The problem is that I would have to fit all 3 in, plus another 3 1drops (Noble Hierarch) and at least 2 Ranger of Eos... that is a minimum of 8 cards I have to dedicate to make that happen. Because of this, I too will also not be running Ranger of Eos. Besides, I still have Fauna Shaman to help recur Vengevine.

After making changes to the deck list, it was obvious that my land situation needed to be looked at more carefully. I did include 3x Noble Hierarch, but I didnt have enough of the proper lands to play him on turn 1 consistantly. Adding in a few lands from the SoM set fixed that problem.

This is still a work in progress, but I believe I am coming closer to my goal.

Critters: 29
4x Vengevine
4x Bloodbraid Elf
4x Kitchen Finks
4x Qasali Pridemage
3x Great Sable Stag
3x Noble Hierarch
2x Fauna Shaman
2x Baneslayer Angel
2x Sun Titan
1x Gaddock Teeg

4x Path to Exile
2x Lightning Bolt

2x Wooded Bastion
2x Raging Ravine
3x Tectonic Edge
3x Arid Mesa
3x Copperline Gorge
3x Razorverge Thicket
1x Rugged Prairie
1x Fire-Lit Thicket
3x Forest
2x Plains
2x Mountain

Sideboard:
3x Leyline of Sanctity
3x Volcanic Fallout
3x Fracturing Gust
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Gaddock Teeg/Obstinate Baloth (not sure which to go with)
1x Baneslayer Angel
1x Great Sable Stag
My concern with you running a Vengevine plan over the standard Zoo list is that you are running Path and Bolt instead of Sparkmage/Collar as your removal suite. If you switch from one to the other, your vengevines will be live far more frequently

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I dont feel like 6 spells is a whole lot and Sparkmage + Collar is a little clunky for my playing style. I would rather be able to path in response for 1 mana than have to wait a turn and then cast 3 to play and 2 to equip collar (that is if I dont have to use Fauna Shaman to fetch a singleton Sparkmage). collar cascades just the same as a path or bolt does anyway. I have made a little tweaking to my list:

Critters: 29
4x Vengevine
4x Bloodbraid Elf
3x Noble Hierarch
3x Fauna Shaman
3x Qasali Pridemage
3x Great Sable Stag
3x Woolly Thoctar
2x Baneslayer Angel
2x Sun Titan
1x Gaddock Teeg
1x Kitchen Finks

4x Path to Exile
2x Lightning Bolt

2x Wooded Bastion
2x Raging Ravine
3x Tectonic Edge
3x Arid Mesa
3x Copperline Gorge
3x Razorverge Thicket
1x Rugged Prairie
1x Fire-Lit Thicket
3x Forest
2x Plains
2x Mountain

Sideboard:
3x Kitchen Finks
2x Obstinate Baloth
1x Great Sable Stag
3x Leyline of Sanctity
2x Lightning Bolt
3x Volcanic Fallout
1x Qasali Pridemage

I will probably add in a Stirring Wildwood in place of a Wooded Bastion to deal with cards like Vendilion Clique on the off chance that I draw it.
To explain the cascade math:

35 spells in the deck

6 bad cascade spells (IE ones that won't recur Vengevine)

12 spells that CAN NOT be cascaded into.

So, 35 - 12 = 23

There are 23 live cascade targets for Bloodbraid Elf. Of those 23 targets, 6 of them are bad cascades that won't recur your vengevines...

That translates into a 25% chance of a bad cascade and vengevine not triggering.

This is why I don't suggest you run the vengevine plan. You can't play with it reliably occuring. Like if you know you can smash into a mistbind clique and a vendillion clique because you can just cast Bloodbraid post combat and recur vengevine, you will do it. It's more aggressive.

Now, since you don't get as live cascades you can't be as agressive. Yes, you will hit 75% of the time with cascades but in my experience you don't want those 25% to cost you any games. If you switch from the Vengevine plan into the more Big threat plan you can:

1. Play Thrun, the Last Troll
2. Keep your removal package
3. Play Behemoth Sledge
4. Play a Ranger Of Eos Package, including Scute Mob and Figure Of Destiny.

That's all I got.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I completely understand the math behind my odds of successfully bringing back VV with BBE. I am perfectly ok with having 6 non creature spells and having only about a 73% chance to recur VV with BBE. If I get to the point where I have to recur VV to win, I could probably use the PtE or Bolt anyway. I see a lot of Naya lists with a full set of Path to Exile in the board, which makes me think its worth the risk for a card that is needed anyway... maybe I will put a couple in the board for game 1.
taking your advice, along with a few others, I have changed my deck list a bit, primarily by moving the bolts to the board. Keep in mind the maindeck will change depending on what I see when I get to a tournament. If there is lots of RDW, I will probably go 4x finks main. lots of fae and jund, 4 stags. lots of steel and RG ramp, 4 Pridemages, etc... I usually make the final call the day of depending on what the meta looks like. Right now I am trying to tweak the sideboard and find another answer to Fae, Gobbos, Elfs, Steel, etc.. than Volcanic Fallout. Mainly I dont want to mess up my BBE -> VV cascades if I dont have to and I dont want to wipe out my own guys either. Any other thoughts about top decks I might not have answers for would be great advice as well.

Critters: 31
4x Vengevine
4x Bloodbraid Elf
3x Noble Hierarch
3x Fauna Shaman
3x Woolly Thoctar
3x Qasali Pridemage
3x Kitchen Finks
3x Great Sable Stag
2x Baneslayer Angel
2x Sun Titan
1x Gaddock Teeg

Other Spells:
4x Path to Exile

3x Copperline Gorge
3x Razorverge Thicket
3x Tectonic Edge
3x Arid Mesa
2x Raging Ravine
1x Wooded Bastion
1x Stirring Wildwood
1x Rugged Prairie
1x Fire-Lit Thicket
3x Forest
2x Plains
2x Mountain

Sideboard:
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Leyline of Sanctity
3x Volcanic Fallout or ???
2x Obstinate Baloth
1x Kitchen Finks
1x Great Sable Stag
1x Qasali Pridemage

I am thinking of maybe throwing in Flame Slash in for Lightning Bolt. someone suggested Scattershot Archer or Hero of Oxid Ridge (which I really like for getting around those pesky Elspeth tokens). I could just make room for Boggart Ram-Gang maindeck too. What do ya think?
I ended up hitting top 8 with this deck last night. The only loss I took during swiss was to Bant Aggro which relied on Mirran Crusader getting pumped by Elspeth for 10 in the air. I was killed by this on turn 4 when he ramped with a manabird.

Critters: 32
4x Vengevine
4x Bloodbraid Elf
4x Noble Hierarch
3x Fauna Shaman
3x Woolly Thoctar
3x Qasali Pridemage
3x Kitchen Finks
3x Boggart Ram-Gang
3x Baneslayer Angel
2x Sun Titan

Other Spells: 3
3x Path to Exile

4x Razorverge Thicket
3x Copperline Gorge
3x Arid Mesa
2x Tectonic Edge
2x Raging Ravine
1x Wooded Bastion
1x Stirring Wildwood
1x Rugged Prairie
1x Fire-Lit Thicket
3x Forest
2x Plains
2x Mountain

Sideboard:
3x Leyline of Sanctity
3x Mirran Crusader
3x Great Sable Stag
1x Kitchen Finks
1x Path to Exile
1x Qasali Pridemage
1x Gaddock Teeg
1x Scattershot Archer
1x Baneslayer Angel

I am gonna be making a few tweaks to my list for the Madison WI PTQ next weekend. Hopefully I dont lose in the first round of top 8 after taking my opponent down to 1 again :/
Sign In to post comments