Deck Masters Contest #3: Keyword Tribal

83 posts / 0 new
Last post
This one comes to us from our own Zovc, who suggested it after the first contest (Pauper) concluded.

Over-Arching Contest Rules

Submission Judging

• All deck submissions are to be judged based on their presumed performance in a multiplayer game.

• Each participant in the contest will have one week following the deck submission deadline to rank each other participant's deck submissions (they do exclude themselves from their ranking).

• Each submission will be awarded points equal to its inverse position in the ranking (for example, if there are eleven submissions in a contest, each player will rank the ten other participants.  The deck ranked #1 will receive ten points; #2 will receive nine points; #3 will receive eight points; #4 will receive seven points; #5 will receive six points; #6 will receive five points; #7 will receive four points; #8 will receive three points; #9 will receive two points; #10 will receive one point).

• The point total for each participant's ranking will be added together to make an over-all ranking of deck submissions.

• The final ranking will be the sum total of the points awarded from the "over-all ranking" and the average score awarded to them by each participant, rounded to the nearest tenth (this is to prevent artificially inflating certain participant's scores who did not submit a ranking of the other decks)

• Any infractions to the contest rules will be governed by the overall consent of the other contest participants (which may or may not result in disqualification from the contest).

Keyword Tribal Format Restrictions

• Each deck chooses a non-evergreen keyword or ability word.

• Each non-evergreen keyword or ability word that is not the chosen keyword or ability word is banned for that deck.

• For the purposes of this format, an evergreen keyword or ability word is any keyword or ability word that has appeared in a Core Set.  
    They are
    Deathtouch
    Defender
    Double Strike
    Enchant
    Equip
    Fear
    First Strike
    Flash
    Flying
    Haste
    Indestructible
    Landwalk
    Lifelink
    Protection
    Regeneration
    Reach
    Scry
    Shroud
    Trample
    Vigilence

• For each nonland card that contains an instance of the chosen keyword, there may be another nonland card without an instance of the chosen keyword.  The number of nonland cards that do not contain the chosen keyword may not exceed the number of cards with the chosen keyword

• The following cards may be considered:
    Show
    Affinity
    Amplify
    Annihilator
    Aura Swap
    Banding / Bands with Others
    Bloodthirst
    Bushido
    Buyback
    Cascade
    Champion
    Changeling
    Channel
    Chroma
    Clash
    Conspire
    Convoke
    Cumulative Upkeep
    Cycling (all variants)
    Delve
    Devour
    Domain
    Dredge
    Echo
    Entwine
    Epic
    Evoke
    Exalted
    Fading
    Fateseal
    Flanking
    Flashback
    Forecast
    Fortify
    Frenzy
    Graft
    Grandeur
    Haunt
    Hellbent
    Hideaway
    Horsemanship
    Imprint
    Infect / Poisonous
    Kicker / Multikicker
    Kinship
    Landfall
    Level Up
    Madness
    Metalcraft
    Modular
    Morph
    Ninjutsu
    Offering
    Persist
    Phasing
    Proliferate
    Provoke
    Prowl
    Radiance
    Rampage
    Rebound
    Recover
    Reinforce
    Replicate
    Retrace
    Ripple
    Shadow
    Soulshift
    Splice
    Split Second
    Storm / Grave Storm
    Sunburst
    Suspend
    Sweep
    Threshold
    Totem Armor
    Transmute/Transfigure
    Unearth
    Vanishing
    Wither

• The following are special clarifications for constructing decks in the format:
    Show
    Landhome is not considered to be a keyword for this contest, as it has been obsoleted and has furthermore been erratad off of the cards that once held it.  Cards that have this quality may be used in any deck.

Coin flipping is considered to be a mechanical function of a card, not a keyword / ability word.  Cards that have this mechanic may be used in any deck.

No type, supertype nor subtype is to be considered a keyword / ability word (ie, Shrine, Tribal, Arcane, etc...).  Cards featuring any type, subtype or supertype may be used in any deck (provided that they don't contain keywords or ability words that are illegal in that deck).

Both "Gating" and "Recruitment" (the unofficial name for the Rebels' tutoring ability) are not considered keywords or ability words for this contest, as they have been officially granted such labelling (like Domain had in Conflux).  As such, they may be used in any deck.

Planeswalkers (and subsequently adding and subtracting loyalty counters) is not a keyword or ability word.  The same is true for the Zendikar's quests and traps and Urza Block's sleeping enchantments.

Creatures that add poison counters but have neither Infect nor Poisonous do can be used in any deck.

Copying spells and cloning permanents are not considered keywords or an ability word and may be used in any deck.

The untap symbol is not considered a keyword or an ability word and may be used in any deck.

Hybrid mana symbols and multicolored costs are not considered keywords and may be used in any deck.

This contest only includes cards released as of Scars of Mirrodin.  As such, Battle Cry and Living Weapon are not legal keywords to choose.

• Since it is in the spirit of the format (and balanced within the constraints of choosing a keyword or ability word), Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and Mind's Desire are legal for use.

Please note that there is now a banned list for the entire contest series (Legacy + EDH).  All decks must conform to this (the comprehensive list is listed under the over-arching contest rules).

Good luck and happy deckbuilding!

Official Contest Submissions (8)

"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Since I broke the last format, why not do it again (twice).
Breaking Mind's Desire
Eye of the Storm - Keyword Tribal UB(18 count)
// Storm - (18)

4xMind's Desire
4xTemporal Fissure
4xTendrils of Agony
4xHindering Touch
2xBrain Freeze

// Non-Storm - (18)
4xTime Spiral
3xDream Halls
4xHigh Tide
3xMerchant Scroll
2xMeditate
2xPalinchron
// Land (24)
4xUnderground Sea
4xWatery Grave
4xDrowned Catacomb
4xPolluted Delta
8xIsland
Edits

+2 Time Spiral
+2 Palinchron
+3 High Tide
+3 Merchant Scroll
+2 Dream Halls
+2 Meditate
-2 Beseech the Queen
-3 Fact or Fiction
-3 Mnemonic Wall
-1 Saprazzan Bailiff
-1 Spellshift
-1 Eye of the Storm
-1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
-1 Intuition
-1 Rise // Fall

Completely Changed the deck, this is no longer valid (Ignore)
This deck is very hard to play, because it is necessary to know exactly what pieces you should get at which time.
The kill combo is Eye of the Storm+(any instant/sorcery spell)+Spellshift.
With Eye of the Storm in play, any instant or sorcery anyone plays gets exiled by EotS. Then you have the option of "casting" (this is important, because Storm counts don't increase when you copy a spell and put it on the stack, only when you "cast" them with cards like EotS and Isochron Scepter) each of the instant/sorcery cards exiled by EotS and putting a copy on the stack. Well, if you cast Spellshift targeting the spell you cast (or the copy if you wait for the EotS trigger to resolve), EotS exiles the Spellshift card and allows you to recast both spells. Now all you need to do is stack it so that Spellshift resolves first countering the first spell, then you follow the rules on Spellshift and reveal cards from your library until you reveal an instant/sorcery and "cast" that card, starting the cycle all over again.
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir is there to lock everyone out the turn you go off (likely cast on Turn 5 opponents EOT, allowing you to go off on Turn 6), he also has the added benefit of not allowing others to cast Instants/Sorcery spells exiled by Eye of the Storm (but truthfully, you really don't want cast EotS without Teferi in play (it might be very dangerous). Dream Halls makes it so that you can cast your spells for "free" (discarding less useful cards), Time Spiral refills your hand (and untaps your lands, free spells are good, just incase you don't have enough cards to discard to Dream Halls), as well as Fact or FictionMnemonic Wall gets back key Instants/Sorceries and reuses early tutors, Rise // Fall bounces your Mnemonic Walls, and gets Teferi/Saprazzan Bailiff back from the grave, Beseech the Queen helps you find Intuition or other combo pieces, High Tide makes the combo go off faster (this may not be necessary, I need to do some testing with creating Intuition stacks.
A couple of the best intuition stacks.
Stack 1
2xMnemonic Wall
Any instant/sorcery.
Stack 2
Saprazzan Bailiff
Dream Halls
Eye of the Storm
Stack 3 (If they gave you an enchantment in Stack 2)
Rise // Fall
Mnemonic Wall
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
This is still a work in progress, but I am probably only deciding in between how many copies of each of the cards to include, and possible inclusions of the "close, but didn't make the cut"

I cut out all that complicated Eye of the Storm garbage. Now the deck is a simple High Tide deck. The object of which is to draw into 2xHigh Tide on Turn 4-6 and win by drawing 7 cards from Time Spiral and recasting High Tide, Meditate (I won't need another turn anyway), and finally Storming Tendrils of Agony for the win. Dream Halls still makes an appearance because it allows you to tap out casting Meditate et. al. and still cast Time Spiral for better than free after you get to untap your lands just for discarding a card (that will get shuffled back into your deck anyway), and Mind's Desire (which should be on the banned list, because of exactly what follows) has the same effect of making your spells free and continuing on your combo with the added benefit of exiling your land (that you no longer need) while your other business spells get shuffled back into your library via Time Spiral, ready to do it all over again.

For broken deck #2, I chose Annihilator.
RG Annihilator (18)
Annihilator (18) - Keyword Tribal
// Land
4xCloudpost
4xGlimmerpost
4xVesuva
4xTaiga
4xStomping Ground
4xRaging Ravine
// Non-Keyword
3xMana Echoes
2xBrood Birthing
4xFecundity
4xNest Invader
1xScapeshift
4xEmrakul's Hatcher
// Keyword
4xUlamog's Crusher
4xSpawnsire of Ulamog
2xIt That Betrays
4xArtisan of Kozilek
2xKozilek, Butcher of Truth
1xUlamog, the Infinite Gyre
1xEmrakul, the Aeons Torn

I am not so sure I like this particular build. I love the Turn 4 Mana Echoes into Turn 5 Emrakul's Hatcher that will get you mana in your mana pool (before you sacrifice any of the three tokens). This allows you to cast anything in the deck, and if you happen to have Spawnsire of Ulamog in hand, you will generate another when he comes into play allowing you to use his ability to go infinite (spend : put 2 0/1 Eldrazi Spawn tokens into play, those each trigger Mana Echoes, each one giving you each). Once you go infinite, you can either cast every Eldrazi you own, or cast 15 Eldrazi cards from your sideboard and take an extra turn, vidicate something, and draw 4 more cards, among other things. The game should be over in short order. The Nest Invader gives you something to do in the early game, and Scapeshift allows you to change out your lands for Posts once you have Fecundity/Mana Echoes in play and you no longer need the mana (This might just be better as All is Dust).

I am considering running this colorless, as I think it is probably a better build...Official Submission
Annihilator Colorless (18)
//Annihilator (18) - Keyword Tribal
// Land
4xCloudpost
4xGlimmerpost
4xVesuva
4xUrza's Tower
4xUrza's Mine
4xUrza's Power Plant

// Non-keyword
3xCandelabra of Tawnos
4xThran Dynamo
1xErratic Portal
4xAll is Dust
4xExpedition Map
2xPlanar Portal

// Keyword (18)
4xUlamog's Crusher
4xSpawnsire of Ulamog
4xIt That Betrays
3xArtisan of Kozilek
1xKozilek, Butcher of Truth
1xUlamog, the Infinite Gyre
1xEmrakul, the Aeons Torn
The key cards here are Candelabra of Tawnos that allows you once a turn to spend and untap X lands, getting you more mana than you would normally get each turn and negating the cip tapped portion of many of your lands. You could have as much as 12 mana on turn 3 with the Candelabra, but most likely it will take you until Turn 4-5 to get that much (since you really need 3 Posts in play to get that crazy mana, and even with tutors you only have a 62%-70% chance of getting it by Turn 4-5). All is Dust is your reset, and it combos well with It That Betrays. I had a difficult time deciding between Well of Knowledge, Thran Dynamo, and Dreamstone Hedron, but I think I made the right choice. Thran Dynamo is probably better than the Candelabra since it ensures that you have 7 mana on Turn 5 when you don't get 2 Posts. I also included the combo of Emrakul, the Aeons Torn+Erratic Portal and 2xPlanar Portal to find them. If Emrakul gets banned (as I think he should), I will swap him for another Kozilek (swinging for 12 + Annihilator 4, then drawing 4 cards for 11 mana, and having a 12/12 blocker isn't bad).

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

Cascade Away

This deck is a deck I already have and play with before this constest even got started. It is a bit slower in the first few turns but once it starts cascading it's card advantage is huge. Although I do have to play without Ancestral Vision I think this deck still works very well because Compulsive Research is able to almost replace it.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
Helphelpe, I have never had the need to run more than 2x copies of Gaea's Blessing, can you tell me why you are running 3? (it doesn't even interact with cascade, so it can only be for anti-mill, or to make your cascade spells cantrips). Also, why not Harmonize over Compulsive Research? Why no inclusion of the Maelstrom Nexus that gives your first spell Cascade, or Maelstrom Archangel that if it connects allows you to cast a spell for free? (I suppose the inclusion of the Enchantment would Warrant the consideration of Vedalken Orrery)

I play 3 copies of Gaea's Blessing because in my playgroups I do encounter graveyard hate on a regular basis and being stuck with only Enigma Sphinx in your deck is pretty lame. I will have to look closely at the meta to decide if I can lower it down to 2 copies.

Harmonize cannot be hit with Bloodbraid Elf which is too bad. You generally can discard a land card easily so it still delivers 2 nonland cards. However, Harmonize or Concentrate may be better. I will look into it later.

Mealstrom Nexus and Maelstrom Archangel aren't in the original deck but they are great in this deck for the contest. I will rework the decklist later on and include them.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
Harmonize cannot be hit with Bloodbraid Elf which is too bad. You generally can discard a land card easily so it still delivers 2 nonland cards. However, Harmonize or Concentrate may be better. I will look into it later.

Well obviously Harmonize interacts better with Thunderscape Familiar than Concentrate (although I am not sure it should stay in the deck, maybe Nightscape Familiar instead (but I haven't done the numbers)). That being said, if you are going to be staying blue Rhystic Study always seems to draw 3+ cards. (of course, you know all this already...just pointing out my thoughts for the gallery).

I'm considering Multikickers:

Cathaldus, I am uncertain if you already answered this before, but what about cards that reference keywords but don't have them themselves.

Astral Slide - This card actually doesn't mention the keyword "cycling", it says cycles. But, that is really a form of the word.
Maelstrom Nexus - This card only references the keyword, it doesn't actually have "Cascade".
Timebender - This card has "Morph", but references "Suspended card" (form of the word). Banned, or restricted to Morph Tribal?

This needs some clarification, not only to determine if a card is allowed in all decks or not, but also whether you get to count that card towards you keyword total.

My take:

Maelstrom Nexus is the odd one out of the examples, because it actually grants the keyword's power to other cards and cheats Cascade into a non-Cascade deck. So it should only be allowed in a Cascade deck.

Timebender should be allowed in a morph deck. It can have an effect on suspended cards, but does nothing to grant Suspend to cards in a non-Suspend deck.

Astral Slide should be allowed in any deck, because it's useless unless your opponents are playing enough of a specific kind of card. It's like this format's Wispmare.
I figured since no one has commented on how broken Mind's Desire is (at least with Time Spiral+Dream Halls and High Tide all in the same deck), and taking infinite turns isn't broken enough, I thought I would break MP again with cards that aren't on the Legacy or Commander banned list. I give you...
You aren't playing with Artifact mana?

The way the deck will usually play is that you will get Reassembling Skeleton or Power Conquit to cast on turn two. Turn 3 you should cast Beseech the Queen for Contamination and lock out the board on Turn 4 (if you drew the Skeleton). If you didn't, you can cast your other 3/3 flying creatures and block most of the early drops, or cast Wave of Terror and slowly wipe the board of 1 CMC, 2 CMC, 3 CMC creatures (using Power Conduit to adjust to taste). You can't usually get the ultimate lock until turn 8-9, but you can do a cheap -1 life per turn lock with Infernal Darkness, or the Contamination+Reassembling Skeleton lock until that time. The turn before you get the ultimate lock you usually will be getting another creature in play for contamination (like Neither Traitor for 1 mana, or switching to Infernal Darkness which only requires 1 mana the first time, and can be kept there with 2xPower Conduit if you got a little behind), and casting another Beseech the Queen to find Eon Hub. The next turn you can sacrifice everything except Contamination/Infernal Darkness and one Phyrexian Etchings/Wave of Terror (with 1-2 counters) so you actually have the mana to cast Eon Hub. From that point on, it is smooth sailing, as all your cumulative upkeeps are removed and you can either chump block with your skeletons (whatever is still alive after multiple Waves of Terror), or draw into Urborg Syphon-Mage or your Legendary beatsticks.

Yeah, it's a stupid Cascade-Hypergenesis deck. Let's see if the thing works!

Show

Land - 22
4x Forbidden Orchard
4x Exotic Orchard
4x Reflecting Pool
4x Grand Coliseum
4x Vivid Grove
2x Vivid Creek

Cascade Spells - 19
4x Bituminous Blast
4x Bloodbraid Elf
3x Captured Sunlight
4x Demonic Dread
4x Violent Outburst

Non-Cascade Spells - 19
4x Hypergenesis
4x Thought Reflection
2x Sphinx of the Steel Wind
2x Angel of Despair
2x Darksteel Colossus
2x Lich's Mirror
2x Tidespout Tyrant
1x Progenitus

Damn those rules about cards with different non-evergreen keywords being banned from your deck... Kozilek and Ulamog are perfect for this deck. They'd be in here otherwise.
Other than that, Lich's Mirror is a cute hand-filler and reset in case of emergency - I'll be interested to see if it's good enough when someone plays the decks out together. This deck is basically a "Stop me in three turns or it's too late" deck, and the idea is that Lich's Mirror rebuys you the three turns.
Thought Reflection is in for card advantage, Tidespout Tyrant and Angel of Despair as controllers, the rest as finishers.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
CadaverousB00m, it should be noted that Hypergenesis (Keyword "Suspend"), can't be in a Keyword "Cascade" deck. Other than that I love the deck.

CadaverousB00m, it should be noted that Hypergenesis (Keyword "Suspend"), can't be in a Keyword "Cascade" deck. Other than that I love the deck.

Craaaaaap.
Aren't you the fun nazi! ;)

OK, back to the drawing board...

OK, back to the drawing board...

I was running into the same problem with my 52 Land Hideaway deck (I wanted to include Forgotten Cave (and other cycling lands), and wanted to include Nantuko Monastery in my Aura Swap deck (I also found a better card for it than Dowsing Shaman which lead me into green), Nomad Mythmaker.

Even with my most recent deck, I would have loved to play Gibbering Descent, but the Hellbent prevented me.

Cathaldus, I am uncertain if you already answered this before, but what about cards that reference keywords but don't have them themselves.

Astral Slide - This card actually doesn't mention the keyword "cycling", it says cycles. But, that is really a form of the word.
Maelstrom Nexus - This card only references the keyword, it doesn't actually have "Cascade".
Timebender - This card has "Morph", but references "Suspended card" (form of the word). Banned, or restricted to Morph Tribal?

This needs some clarification, not only to determine if a card is allowed in all decks or not, but also whether you get to count that card towards you keyword total.

I would say that Maelstrom Nexus would be banned outside of a Cascade deck since it gives that ability to cards themselves (ie, I don't feel like it would be in the spirit of the format).  In the same line of thinking, Cast Through Time wouldn't be legal in a non-Rebound deck.  I'll clarify this in the format rules.

Timebender and Astral Slide should both be legal in the situations you describe them (the first in a non-cycling deck, the second in a morph deck).  The reason being is that neither has the ability in question nor grants it to other cards.  They further offer some interesting deck interactions, which is always something to be encouraged.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

lol, I was just looking through the keyword list and kudo's to whomever builds a format legal competitive EPIC deck.
A prowl deck:

Show

The idea is to drop a rogue turn 2 and hit somebody with it turn 3. Then you can prowl out some good stuff already but dropping Rhystic Study is more important at all times. Too bad that shadow isn't evergreen making this deck miss Looter Il-Kor (which combo'd nicely with the Auntie's Snitch) but it should work fine without it.

Earwig Squad and Knowledge Exploitation are great at killing combo decks.

The true power of this deck is a prowled Notorious Throng (you will prowl them 99.9% of the time). Especially if you have Oona's Blackguard or a Stinkdrinker Bandit. It is best saved for when you draw a second one. Ideally you deny every from blocking by casting Cryptic Command tapping all opponents critters. Assume you hit for 6 against opponents and then cast the throng. A single blackguard gives you 12 power of extra units. Making your next turn kick for 6 + 12 = 18 and giving 36 power of units and the next extra turn you can kick for 54 dmg. The math is even more crazy if you have more power or more pumpers but you get the idea.

Rhystic Study and Sygg, River Cutthroat should provide you with sufficient cards to find what you need in due time.

Boseiju, Who Shelters All is there to make sure your game winner doesn't get countered.

Any ideas on improvinging the prowl pain?

I am still working on the revised version of cascade but I will post that later too.
I've always been a fan of Latchkey Faerie in Rogue decks.  Bitterblossom would also ensure a healthy stream of attackers.  The deck oooks really solid on the whole, though.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

I haven't thought of anything that I think would be too impressive just yet, but here's an idea I've been cooking up for a little while now.  It's based off of the Time Spiral forward Extended Cascade decks, that used Living End to bring back a lot of cyclers.

My own testing puts me at a turn 5 Living Death every game (between cycling through my deck and fixing my mana, that's not an issue).

I took out Given that I could potentially lose out to a single wrath effect, I'm trying to add in Foil (since I end up with a 6-7 land hand when it goes off anyway), which would help against any decks running counters as well.  The only other concern is that I'll be open to attack for a long while  Wall of Blossoms and the like help a lot, though.

Here's some dry runs I've had with the deck:

Show
1)  Turn 2 I had a Wall of Blossoms out as protection.  Turn five I cast Living Death with Foil/Island backup, giving me 2 Monstrous Carabid, 2 Street Wraithp, 1 Wirewood Guardian, 1 Deadshot Minotaur and 1 Shoreline Ranger (26 power worth of 7 creatures plus a Wrath effect.

2) Another turn 2 Wall of Blossoms.  This time I drew into and cast Living Death turn 6 with three Foils + an Island in hand.  I ended up with 2 Wirewood Guardians, 1 Ridge Rannet, 1 Monstrous Carabid, 1 Deadshot Minotaur and 1 Street Wraith (28 power worth of 6 creatures)

3) This run didn't go as well as the others.  I had Wall of Blossoms out turn 3, but couldn't find a second black source until turn 8, when I finally cast Living Death with Foil backup.  I ended up with 2 Ridge Rannets, 2 Wirewood Guardians, 1 Valley Rannet, 3 Monstrous Carabid, 1 Deadshot Minotaur and 1 Street Wraith (48 power worth of 8 creatures)

4) I started off with double Wall of Blossoms.  Turn 7 turned saw Living Death with double Foil, double Island backup for 2 Wirewood Guardians, 1 Valley Rannet, 1 Ridge Rannet, 3 Deadshot Minotaur, 1 Monstrous Carabid, 1 Shoreline Ranger (40 power worth of 9 creatures)

5) I saw no early defenses this game, but did power out a turn 5 Living Death with double Foil, double Island backup for 2 Deadshot Minotaurs, 2 Valley Rannets, 2 Street Wraiths, 1 Monstrous Carabid and 1 Shoreline Ranger (31 power worth of 8 creatures)

6) Turn 5 I cast Living Death (with Foil backup) on turn 5 for 3 Ridge Rannets, 1 Shoreline Ranger and 1 [c]Deadshot Minotaur (24 power worth of 5 creatures).  If I'd waited another turn (which I would have if I wasn't getting smashed into too badly) I would have gotten an additional Wirewood Guardian, Valley Rannet and Monstrous Carabid.

7) Turn 5 Living Death with double Foil backup for 3 Street Wraiths, 2 Monstrous Carabids, 1 Wirewood Guardian and 1 Deadshot Minotaur (26 power worth of 7 creatures).

8) Double Wall of Blossoms started the game (turns 2 and 4).  Turn 6 I got a Living Death with double Foil backup for 2 Street Wraiths, 2 Deadshot Minotaur, 2 Wirewood Savage, 1 Ridge Rannet and 1 Monstrous Carabid (34 power worth of 8 creatures)

9) Another turn 2 Wall of Blossoms and turn 5 Living Death with Foil backup for 3 Deadshot Minotaurs, 2 Street Wraiths, 1 Shoreline Ranger and 1 Wirewood Guardian (24 power worth of 7 creatures)

10) Turn 2 Wall of Blossoms again holds down the fort.  This time I couldn't find double black until turn 6 and couldn't cast Living Death until the next turn (the second black source was another Blackcleave Cliffs).  I had no Foil backup, but ended up with 3 Shoreline Ranger, 3 Street Wraiths, 2 Deadshot Minotaurs, 1 Valley Rannet, 1 Ridge Rannet and 1 monstrous Carabid (40 power worth of 11 creatures)

On average, I cast Living Death with Foil backup on turn 5.9 and end up with 7.6 creatures (always with at least enough to take out a player each turn).
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

Cathaldus: maybe Pact of Negation is better than foul since you will still be able to cast it even with your mana tapped more realiably than Foil. Your mana is tapped after the Living End leaving you vulnerable for a round. Foil only works with discarding an Island and you only play 2 of those.

Besides that, Bojuka Bog can protect you from reanimation schemes from your opponents.

Or, you might just want to scrap the whole idea and go back to the drawing board. See my comments to CadaverousBl00m regarding Suspend in a "Cascade" Tribal deck. The same applies to a "Cycling" Tribal Deck. 

Or, you might just want to scrap the whole idea and go back to the drawing board. See my comments to CadaverousBl00m regarding Suspend in a "Cascade" Tribal deck. The same applies to a "Cycling" Tribal Deck. 

nope. He is using Living Death not Living End
The reason why I chose to go with Foil is because I don't reliably have the double blue to pay Pact of Negation's upkeep cost.  I might try the bog, though.

I updated my post with some goldfishing.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

I see in your goldfishing that Foil works good. You have the island realiably.

Against your deck it will be clear what to get with Earwig Squad if I can prowl him turn 3. And then I will have to hope you didn't have one in hand already Smile
I just want to say that the rules are racist because the only good cards that are banned are black cards. Not bitter, just saying.

My deck:

Combo (31)
24x Creatures that cycle for 2 mana, doesn't matter which. As many black ones as possible.
3x Fluctuator
3x Songs of the Damned
1x Exsanguinate

Tutors (8)
4x Death Wish
4x Grim Tutor

Mana (21)
2x Swamp
3x Verdant Catacombs
4x Bayou
4x Land Grant
4x Lotus Petal
4x Chrome Mox

Deck is really simple. Use Death Wish and Grim Tutor to get Fluctuator out asap and chain cycle into a massive Exsanguinate fueled by multiple Songs of the Damned. Your 4th copy of Songs of the Damned is purposely left out as a Death Wish target to prevent you from fizzling. The mana base is meant to be as light as possible to try and abuse Land Grant, Verdant Catacombs and Bayou to help prevent dead cycling draw if at all possible. The deck is supposed to be incredibly fast and "all in," so if you don't win by the 4th or 5th turn you're not going to win period. After all, the combo forces you to pay almost all of your life to pay for Death Wish and Grim Tutor (thank you very much for banning every other black tutor and draw spell ever printed).

Also, I'm surprised no one has posted Hive Mind + Pact of Negation (and every other Pact) yet. With artifact mana like Thran Dynamo, and blue card draw, it's probably one of the fastest and most reliable decks available. It's really mindless and virtually unstoppable.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
I just want to say that the rules are racist because the only good cards that are banned are black cards. Not bitter, just saying.

My deck:

Looks pretty solid, but I am not sure if the numbers make the deck legal.

I count 9 land, leaving 51 other cards, 50% which have to have cycling (26). If we count Fluctuator (which we probably should, but it still isn't clear to me what cards count toward Keyword totals, as this card doesn't grant "cycling" to anything, it just makes it cheaper. If I was judging, I would count it), then you are within that number. If you couldn't count Fluctuator, there are still cycling lands Blasted Landscape, Polluted Mire.

You could use Crypt of Agadeem backup too.
And shouldn't you be using Beseech the Queen, nothing costs more than 2.

Here is a revamp of Jhoira from the Beastmaster contest with the new Keyword Tribal format restrictions. What was missing from the last version was Apocalypse, which is pretty much a reset (sans counters).
4xImperial Recruiter
4xApocalypse / Obliterate / Wildfire
4xParadox Haze

3xJhoira of the Ghitu
4xGreater Gargadon
4xEpochrasite
4xDeep-Sea Kraken
4xAeon Chronicler
1xDarksteel Colossus
1xMagus of the Moon
4xLotus Bloom

helphelpe, I like a challenge...Done.
Epic Fail
Epic - Keyword Tribal - Enchantment Build
// Land
2xSerra's Sanctum
4xCalciform Pools
4xReflecting Pool
4xForbidden Orchard / Exotic Orchard
4xFlood Plain
4xTundra
1xVolcanic Island
1xPlateau

// Keyword - Epic (18)
4xEternal Dominion
4xEnduring Ideal
4xUndying Flames
4xNeverending Torment
2xEndless Swarm

// Non-Keyword (18)
3xWild Research
1xQuicken
4xRhystic Study
1xDream Halls
2xOpalescence
1xAttunement
1xParallax Tide
1xParallax Wave
1xPandemonium
1xLeyline of Anticipation
2xReplenish

This is by no means the optimum build, but it is a fairly good start. The deck is mostly built around the old Urza's Saga Replenish combo that drops a bunch of Enchantments in the graveyard and gets them all into play. Unfortunately, with a maximum of 18 non-Epic cards (if you are going to play with 24 land), you can't include very many enchantments. Rhystic Study is probably better than Attunement at drawing cards (and should probably be dropped in an optimum build, perhaps replaced with Paradox Haze), but it doesn't depend on other people doing anything (and you can always discard Epic cards). The other parts of the combo are...
Opalescence+Parallax Wave - Exile permanently infinite creatures.
Opalescence+Parallax Wave+Parallax Tide - Exile permanently all lands, or infinite mana.
Opalescence+Parallax Wave+Pandemonium - Infinite damage.
2xOpalescence+Parallax Wave - Infinite targeted creature protection.
(Angelic Chorus, not included would give infinite life)
Wild Research is in the deck to help find your key enchantments, and to find Quicken. It and Leyline of Anticipation (probably backed up with Dream Halls to reduce costs) is the only way to get more than a single Epic spell to resolve and allow you multiple Epic things to do on later turns upkeeps. The optimum turn would require Leyline of Anticipation/Quicken+(any 2 Epic spells, one preferably being Enduring Ideal)+Dream Halls (in play)+(2 cards that match the Epic colors). Most likely because of color restrictions, you will probably get Enduring Ideal+Eternal Dominion (maybe I should add a singleton Genju of the Realm in place of something?). Really, this is the real combo, the Enchantment+Replenish is just the best backup plan I could think of at the time. Is it competitive? Probably not, but with a little tweaking it might be able to scratch out a win here or there.

Any ideas how to make it better? (I know there isn't much to work with)
Maybe Evershrike, Nether Traitor/Nether Shadow, Ashen Ghoul, Necrosavant, Reassembling Skeleton, Grave Pact (as backup), Kjeldoran Outpost, Bloodghast, Diamond Kaleidoscope?, or some other creatures you can return from the graveyard without "casting" them? (you only get 18 spells only). Maybe something based around Infernal Genesis?)
Maybe a global burn deck with no real thought to actually casting the Epic spells. Kaboom!/Erratic Explosion, Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle (although half the cards will be dead draws, maybe with Flux? Perhaps Prosperity/Skyscribing + Mana Geyser to draw into Dream Halls + Quicken so you can get off multiple Epic spells again? That's not a horrible idea)
Deck Shell - (not optimized)
4xValakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4xQuicken / Leyline of Anticipation
4xProsperity
4xMana Geyser
4xWild Ricochet
2xDream halls

Maybe lands with activated abilities to get around the fact that you can't cast spells? Shivan Gorge, Quicksand, etc.

Combo (31)
24x Creatures that cycle for 2 mana, doesn't matter which. As many black ones as possible.
3x Fluctuator
3x Songs of the Damned
1x Exsanguinate

Tutors (8)
4x Death Wish
4x Grim Tutor

Mana (21)
2x Swamp
3x Verdant Catacombs
4x Bayou
4x Land Grant
4x Lotus Petal
4x Chrome Mox

You're going to have to replace Chrome Mox, as imprint isn't alloud in a cycling deck.

I like the deck a lot.  It's simple, but brutallly effective.  I'd go for at least a second Exsanguinate (in case somebody counters your first one).  Your deck is, if nothing else, going to act as my deck's foil, since we're going to have a similar gameplan early on and you're going to get about as much from me casting Living Death as I am.  Granted, it technically screws up your plan for a Songs of the Damned fueled Exsanguinate, but a dominating board position is a good consolation prize.

Capitan, this version of the deck definitely has a bit more punch to it than the Beastmaster version (notably from whichever sweeper you settle on, as well as Paradox Haze).  Have you given any thought to Dominus of Fealty in the deck?  The colors are right and she's a beast with Paradox Haze out; she also synergizes extremely well with Greater Gargadon.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

Lets try this again:

And here's some more goldfishing with the deck:

Show
1) Turn 2 Wall of Blossoms.  Turn 5 Living Death with Foil backup, netting 2 Monstrous Carabid, 2 Deadshot Minotaur, 1 Ridge Rannet and 1 Shoreline Ranger (23 power worth of 6 creatures).

2) I cast Living Death with double Foil backup on turn 6, netting 1 Valley Rannet, 2 Ridge Rannet, 2 Wirewood Guardians, 2 Deadshot Minotaurs, 1 Street Wraith and 1 Shoreline Ranger (42 power worth of 9 creatures).

3) Turn 3 Bojuka Bog (the obvious target would be Tich's deck).  Turn 5 Living Death (sadly, no Foil backup despite two in my hand), netting me 2 Street Wraiths, 2 Deadshot Minotaurs, 1 Monstrous Carabid, 1 wirewood Guardian and 1 Ridge Rannet (28 power worth of 7 creatures).

4) Turn 2 Wall of Blossoms.  Turn 4 Bojuka Bog.  Turn 5 Living Death (no Foil backup), netting 2 Ridge Rannets, 1 Valley Rannet, 2 Deadshot Minotaurs, 1 Monstrous Carabid and 1 Street Wraith (31 power worth of 7 creatures).

5) Turn 3 Bojuka Bog.  Turn 5 Living Death with Foil backup, netting me 2 Shoreline Rangers, 2 Ridge Rannets and 3 Street Wraiths (27 power worth of 7 creatures).

6) Turn 3 Bojuka Bog.  Turn 5 Living Death (no Foil), netting 3 Street Wraiths, 3 Monstrous Carabids, 2 Wirewood Guardians and 1 Deadshot Minotaurs (36 power worth of 9 creatures).

7) Turn 2 Wall of Blossoms.  Turn 3 Bojuka Bog.  Turn 5 Living Death (I haven't been drawing into Foils lately for some reason), netting 2 Ridge Rannets, 1 Wirewood Guardian, 2 Street Wraiths and 1 Deadshot Minotaur (27 power worth of 6 creatures).

8) Turn 2 and 4 Wall of Blossoms.  Turn 5 Bojuka Bog.  Turn 6 Living Death (with Foil backup, netting 2 Wirewood Guardians, 2 Ridge Rannets, 3 Deadshot Minotaur, 2 Street Wraiths and 1 Monstrous Carabid (43 power worth of 10 creatures).

9) Turn 2 and 4 Wall of Blossoms.  Turn 5 Bojuka Bog.  Turn 6 Living Death (again, no Foil), netting 2 Ridge Rannets, 1 Wirewood Guardian, 2 Deadshot Minotaur, 2 Shoreline Rangers, 3 Street Wraiths and 1 Monstrous Carabid (43 power worth of 11 creatures).

10) Turn 2 and 3 Wall of Blossoms.  Turn 4 Bojuka Bog.  Turn 5 Livind Death with double Foil backup, netting 2 Monstrous Carabid, 1 Valley Rannet, 1 Wirewood Guardian and 1 Shoreline Ranger (23 power worth of 5 creatures).

This new version averages a turn 5.3 Living Death.

50% of the time I have at least 1 Foil and at least 1 Island in my hand when I cast Living Death.

80% of the time I play Bojuka Bog at some point before I cast Living Death (taking out a troublesome graveyard).

60% of the time I'll have at least 1 Wall of Blossoms out before I cast Living Death.  30% of the time I'll have two out.

After I cast Living Death I average 32.3 power worth of 7.7 creatures.

This deck also has little to fear in terms of Magus of the Moon, as the only nonbasics are fetch lands that, as Mountains help me hardcast things in this deck / cycle through it.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

Capitan, this version of the deck definitely has a bit more punch to it than the Beastmaster version (notably from whichever sweeper you settle on, as well as Paradox Haze).  Have you given any thought to Dominus of Fealty in the deck?  The colors are right and she's a beast with Paradox Haze out; she also synergizes extremely well with Greater Gargadon.

Quite right. I hadn't put too much thought into it, as this deck won't be my official submission. Actually, that reminds me I haven't posted my decks self analysis (or the optimized version I would have run if I had given more thought to it.). It would definitely be an improvement to the deck (probably in the place of the Aeon Chronicler). I also think I should be running Drift of Phantasms(less than half an hour after posting something, and I can't even remember why I didn't use the card in the first place. Keeping keywords in mind is difficult during deck construction. Half the people so far have done it at least once.) over Imperial Recruiter now that I look closer at the deck since it can find the Paradox Haze.

Heres another deck shell

K-K-K-Kombo Breaker - Trasmute
// 24 Land

1xChains of Mephistopheles
4xDark Ritual
4xMesmeric Orb
1xIntuition
1xLobotomy
1xMemoricide
1xCranial Extraction
1xGeth's Grimoire
1xParallel Thoughts
1xCounterbore
1xBazaar of Wonders

1xShred Memory
4xMuddle the Mixture
1xPerplex
4xDrift of Phantasms
4xDimir House Guard
4xBrainspoil
1xShared Fate

This deck is running 4 combo card removers, each with different names, just in case you get Bazaar of Wonders. The Dark Rituals are there to make sure you can do it 2nd turn if need be. The transmute finds important pieces like Bazaar, Mesmeric Orb, and some meta choices (2 cycling decks, who would have guessed). Finally, there is Shared Fate making sure that no one is playing there own deck. This isn't an official submission, but if it was how would you rank it (or anyone else's with it in play?).

This new version averages a turn 5.3 Living Death.
After I cast Living Death I average 32.3 power worth of 7.7 creatures.

I wonder if this could be improved any with cycling lands Polluted Mire (et. al. in place of some lands), Undead Gladiator (in place of a cycling creature), reduce Living Death to 2x, and including Diabolic Intent for Fluctuator (like Tich's deck), or just use Grim Tutor (like Tich).

You would have to change your creature base some (which might not be worth it).
I do think the Ridge Rannet is weak, and could be replaced with any of the following.
Scion of Darkness
Macetail Hystrodon
Twisted Abomination

Okay, Deck #2.
Changelings.

This may or may not be crazy. And may or may not work.

Looks like this one's my official submission. ;)

Okay, Deck #2.
Changelings.

This may or may not be crazy. And may or may not work.

It will work, but I think you should change your numbers around some. Haakon should probably be at least a 2x of, and Genesis Wave even though it is amazing could hit 11 other non-permanents (if you hit Haakon as well great. If not, not so good), so you might want to decrease it for more Haakon (actually, it is a key part of the deck since you want to genesis into a lot of permenants. Maybe one of the other non-Elf, non-genesis cards? and maybe for Genesis instead since he can get back your elves? You would have to go too black for Conspiracy, and it doesn't do anything on its own so Genesis > Conspiracy).

Mirror Entity should be the 4x of, not Avian Changeling.

My official submission:

Vengeance of an Angry Earth - working title
My official submission:
Vengeance of an Angry Earth - working title

Fastbond is on the Legacy Banned list, so it is banned from this and all Deck Master Contests (Commander Banned cards are also banned).

This doesn't mean you couldn't modify the deck to take advantage of...
Warp World
Dimensional Breach
Thieves' Auction
Planar Guide+Life // Death
or Scapeshift

Fastbond is on the Legacy Banned list,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Edited out Fastbond. Feels understandably weaker. If I can't go infinite then I need to choose...

I can go straight damage with Plated Geopede, Adventuring Gear and Teetering Peaks, then recur the teetering peaks a few times at +6 power each.

I can go straight mill with Hedron Crab and Scrib Nibblers and bypass defenses, though legendary eldrazi could take an unusually long time.

I can go big on tokens with Emeria Angel and Rampaging Baloths, which requires the least color splashing, but also the most mana. Green/white might be the way to go.

Ignore the entry as it is now. It's kind of a mess.

It will work, but I think you should change your numbers around some. Haakon should probably be at least a 2x of, and Genesis Wave even though it is amazing could hit 11 other non-permanents (if you hit Haakon as well great. If not, not so good), so you might want to decrease it for more Haakon (actually, it is a key part of the deck since you want to genesis into a lot of permenants. Maybe one of the other non-Elf, non-genesis cards? and maybe for Genesis instead since he can get back your elves? You would have to go too black for Conspiracy, and it doesn't do anything on its own so Genesis > Conspiracy).

Mirror Entity should be the 4x of, not Avian Changeling.

True - I'd gone with Avians because I feared getting beaten over the head by fliers. But if I'm Crib Swapping until the cows come home, I probably don't care. Especially seeing how a Crib Swap gives me an extra Elf to count towards Priest of Titania's mana output. ;)

Finally I can view the forum again (kept getting errors last 20 hours).

Show

While working on the new version of cascade I realized that a lot of the decks hate Gaddock Teeg and this deck can realiably have him in play turn 3. It uses exalted to beat face via rafiq and the phantasm. It can also get genesis and glory in the graveyard easily with frontline sage and eladamri's call making winning a whol lot easier.
CadaverousBl00m, I like the deck concept, although I agree with Capitan_Estaban that the numbers look off.  I think that you need 2 more Chameleon Colossus and another Taurean Mauler.  Interesting cards to consider might be all slivers that are legal for your deck to use.

I nearly suggest Joraga Treespeaker.  Silly me.

Minus_Prime
, I think you could use a lot more rare fetch-lands (specifically the ones from Onslaught / Zendikar).  You'll get double landfall triggers, plus the land will enter untapped, which can be huge as far as casting things go.  I think 8-12 should let you abuse everything efficiently (plus it fixes your mana nicely).

Knight of the Reliquary also looks like it would be an incredible inclusion.  It turns one fetchland (2 triggers) into 2 (4 triggers).

Fetchland ---> Basic Land --- Knight of the Reliquary up another Fetchland ---> Basic Land.

Helphelpe, that deck looks like it would really benefit from Finest Hour.  I understand that it doesn't quite gel with Gaddock Teeg, but as a 1 or 2 of it could really push your deck over the top.  Pretty nice looking deck, though (especially against mine).
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

Are you sure about the fetch lands? I think it depends more on whether you want acceleration, where they're definitely better and can use Lotus Cobra to power out Admonition Angel in no time,
or if you just want to abuse landfall at no risk. If you go nuts then it makes Grazing Gladehart more vital than I want it to be.

Currently considering a Persist deck:

The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth
Show

2 Cauldron Haze
4 Safehold Elite
4 Kitchen Finks
4 Restless Apparition
4 Heartmender
2 Twilight Shepherd

4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Kor Outfitter
4 Phylactery Lich
4 Worldslayer
4 Darksteel Ingot

4 Scrubland
4 Fetid Heath
4 Orzhov Basilica
4 Godless Shrine
4 Gemstone Mine

Everything important has a double that's just as good.
Phylactery Lich and Heartmender - 8 cards, you need 1
Worldslayer and Stoneforge Mystic - draw it or fetch it

The plan: Find one of the two creatures that can swing Worldslayer indefinitely. Put Worldslayer on it and kill everything. The lich is trickier because you need to summon it after you already have a worldslayer or Darksteel Ingot around.
The Heartmender is better overall because it allows all the other Persist creatures to stick around at full strength after any number of swings. And pray to god that these two aren't like the soul sisters of my Beastmasters deck that were nowhere to be found in the top third of the library.

While I still get errors in firefox for this site, internet explorer works just fine :S usually it is the other way around...

Cathaldus: I know the power of Finest Hour and it would be great in the deck but I think that keeping Gaddock Teeg in play is more important for that deck and because of that you will hardly ever be able to cast it.

Cascade 2.0:
Show

I added the nexus to give this deck even more cascading card advantage and to make it even more powerful I followed the rest of Capitan's advice adding in 2x Vedalken Orrery. Because the deck now plays plenty of white permanents I switched to Mistveil Plains as anti I deck myself tactic. The main weakness of this deck is it's more limited ability to disrupt other players.

And with the end of the contest in sight I am now wondering which deck I should submit.... Exalted, Prowl or Cascade....
Sign In to post comments