Calculating mount encumbrance in Gamma World

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry for all the recent posts. I've just had a lot of questions coming up as I play.

Basically I'm wondering how to calculate encumbrance for large sized creatures in Gamma World. Anyone remember how it was done in 4e? 10 pounds/pt of strength times 1.25 or something? I like most of the mounts in the second Gamma World book, but with 11 Strength it seems like the Jackalope isn't strong enough to bear a rider. I'd appreciat any thoughts. Thanks.
Your math looks correct; a hopper should only be able to carry 137 lbs and move normally, or 275 lbs and be slowed, according to the formulas used for horses in 4e D&D.

Any GM is free to change this (or tweak the hopper's stats) for her campaign, of course. Or just handwave it and not dwell on it a lot.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Adventurers League Local Coordinator, Los Angeles area (AL FAQ here!)

Looking for gamers in Lake Arrowhead, CA area!

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Adventures League Characters (click for list)
Adventurers League Characters: (can you tell I like making new characters?)
  • Oraibi Jhannivvar (human noble devotion paladin of Siamorphe, level 9) and Golden Dawn (celestial warhorse); NG, Lords' Alliance
  • Ninkasi the Ale-Nun (human guild artisan life cleric of Chantea, level 7); NG, Harpers
  • Bacavi Jhannivvar (human sage arcane trickster/cleric of Tymora, level 4/2) and Teddy (cat familiar); CG, Lords' Alliance, Cloaks
  • Alcyone Pleiades (air genasi sailor conjuration wizard, level 4) and Buster (crab familiar); TN, Harpers, Cloaks
  • Rhythm (tiefling entertainer bard, is a dancer, level 3); NG, Harpers
  • Onyx Crystalfist (svirfneblin Earthspur miner Underdark land druid, level 3); NG, Emerald Enclave
  • Verdigris (copper dragonborn gladiator beastmaster ranger, level 3) and Heqet (giant frog); NG, Emerald Enclave
  • Niran Wishcrafter (fire genasi charlatan chaos sorcerer, level 2) a.k.a. "Madame Vessa" (human fortune teller); CN, Zhentarim
  • Claráin Coppervault (mountain dwarf guild artisan abjuration wizard, level 2) and Julius (cave octopus familiar); LG, Harpers
From the D&D Rules Q&A forum FAQ (if desired):
'Is a mount slowed when carrying a heavy character (or two light ones)? Strictly according to the encumbrance rules, yes. However, this appears to  possibly be an oversight (especially in the case of say, huge mounts).  If  desired, PHB p.222 says: "The amount you carry should rarely be  an  issue, and you  don’t need to calculate the weight your character is hauling around unless it’s likely to matter.", and DMG p.105 says: "Niggling details of food supplies and encumbrance usually aren’t fun, so don’t sweat them". Discussed here.'
Sign In to post comments