YMtC 2011 World Championship Finals

161 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi All, and Welcome to the World Championship Finals!

Note that this is completely different to the YMtC Championships, which, on a related note, really needs your votes! Head on over to the tasting booth, and vote in what I believe is the premiere contest in YMtC, if not these boards.

Joining myself (AUS) in judging this years finals are razorborne (USA), and last years World Champion, SilentTwin (DEN).

In the World Championship however, you're fighting for your country! Let me introduce our finalists.

Representing Hungary...

Hungary

med200!

Representing Scotland...

Scotland
turnip_song!

Representing the USA...

Congratulations stinkyjoeterry!
Gardevior!

Representing Singapore...

Singapore
chinkeeyong!

Representing Australia...

Congratulations Callix and just_nigel!
Elevate!

Representing Canada...

Congratulations Detektor
ragnarokio!

We'll wait for our six contestants to check in, then we'll get the round robin portion under way.
Reserved for scorecard
This is very exciting.

please post cards in my threads they are special places to me

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

reserved for pictures of bears.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I WILL TRY MY BEST

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

Northbay, right by the movie theater

(Note to self: Finish up tasting booth post some time tomorrow.)

This space is possibly reserved for griping.

In the meanwhile, congratulations again to the six who won. I got a bit closer than I thought with Graverob, but between Cglacic up and disappearing as well as being busier than I thought I would be, I'm somewhat glad that I didn't win and that the spots went to more deserving creators.

Also, in the meanwhile, somewhat unrelated, but....

This is very exciting.

Ragnarokio, when you get the chance, could you please post in the Tribes thread sometime soon (read: before tomorrow ends)?

"Heroes are rare because heroism is so inherently stupid. In giving their all for the good of others, most die and are forgotten. 

In serving only yourself, however...."

Currently working on "Starshift".

Ready to wreak havoc.
Congratulations to our six finalists. May the most consistent contestant win.

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Woo!
Yeah, Scotland's good at some sports, you see. The sports of designing trading cards. Sports.

Anyway, here I am. 
Here.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Only waiting on Gard.
question about grading:

will the winner be the person with the highest total score, or the one who more judges ranked highest? say me and ST both give one contestant 20 and the other 21, while Imi gives the first 50 and the second 0. who wins?

Fair question. I've went purely on total points last year, although it was just me judging finals. I wanted more judges this year to reduce the likelihood of ties
Given that I'm planning on using the same system.

The system:

Contestants will be ranked by number of wins in the round robin section. As an example, here's last year's final score breakdowns:

PlayedWonLostDrawnPoints ForPoints Against%
Callix4311581361.161765
SilentTwin42111461461
Detektor4221551491.040268
stinkyjoeterry4221461500.973333
Mown4311281520.842105

This year will be the same, only another round as we (should) have the full 6 contestants, and more judges make draws very unlikely.

The unlike the qualifiers where innovation was a marked part of the criteria, the scoring breakdown for each of the final rounds will be:
X/25: Mechanics and Balance
X/25: Flavour and Concept

With three judges, each contestants score each round will be out of a possible 150.

Important note
- if 2 of the 3 judges believe your submission does not meet criteria, you will receive 0 points. Judges, I will ask you to grade each card on its merits and provide a grade, whether entry meets the criteria or not. Just mark the entry with a 'DQ'.

The top two competitors will face down in a final challenge (which I may or may not have yet to devise) to determine the 2011 World Champ.
sounds reasonable, although since this isn't a competition where you can run defense, I don't like "points against" as a category. say CKY and turnip are tied for second place. why should it matter that med did better against one than the other? (names picked by scrolling up and choosing the first contestants I see.)

That's a good point.

Well, given there's actually judges this year, I'll definitely drop points against / percentage.

If there's a tie with regards to number of wins etc, total points for will be used to rank the contestants.

Speaking of contestants, it doesn't look like Gard's been around since the 6th.

How long do we give him?

Speaking of contestants, it doesn't look like Gard's been around since the 6th.

How long do we give him?

I'd say that if he doesn't check in in a day or two you replace him. it's still before round 1, so there's no issue with just taking whoever the #3 slot for his area was and giving them his slot.

Hello, my name is Elevate, and I'll be your bumper for this evening. Please do not hesitate to query me for any of your bumping needs.
Query: What types of bumping can a bumper do?

"Heroes are rare because heroism is so inherently stupid. In giving their all for the good of others, most die and are forgotten. 

I'll give Gard another day, then offer his spot to Gesepp.

Any kind of bumping you can think of.

Yes, even that kind.
Zoink. Life has been hectic. Probably will only get to post intermittently (Tues/Thurs), but that should be good enough for this contest (I would guess?). 
Sure it will! Glad we've got a full deck at least...

Let's get this party started.

Round 1

med200 vs turnip_song

Gardevior vs Elevate

chinkeeyong vs Ragnakorio

Well we're in the midst of Mirrodin Besieged previews week. Preview weeks for the second (or third) set in a block always intrigue me. The first set is full of newness - new mechanics, new setting (or at least a refreshed setting). Later sets need to maintain this feel of newness by expanding on the mechanics potential, while not deviating so much that it feels 'too' new - the play needs to develop, not change.

This round, you are required to find a mechanic from here on the YMtC boards - it may be yours, your opponents or someone entirely absent from this contest. Find a mechanic, quote it here, and design a card that uses this mechanic in a different way. Your mechanics and balance grade will be based on your card, but I would still advise you to choose your mechanic wisely.

As a reminder you will receive a score out of 50, with 25 points for mechanics and balance, and 25 points for flavour and concept. DQ's will be handed down if you do not adequately quote / link to the original location of your selected mechanic.

Rounds will be open for about a week, or until all contestants get their entries in, whichever is the lesser.
for the sake of transparency:

I will be grading entirely on your accompanying C.R. entry. 

So how long will rounds last?
So how long will rounds last?

Rounds will be open for about a week, or until all contestants get their entries in, whichever is the lesser.

I'll edit the round statement to state this.
Damn, now I really want to see razorborne grade people solely by comp. rule entries.

Any kind of bumping you can think of.

Yes, even that kind.

You even do fist bumping?

My, good sir, I dare say that is scandalous.

Imi's Slipspace:

Oblivion Ferry
(no mana cost)
Artifact

Slipspace (: Cast this card into exile.) 
Imprint – When Oblivion Ferry is exiled, you may exile any number of target creature cards from your hand and graveyard.
: Return Oblivion Ferry from exile to the battlefield under your control, return a card exiled by Oblivion Ferry to the battlefield under your control, then exile Oblivion Ferry.

"Welcome aboard... and welcome back."

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

that link goes nowhere.

you should fix that.

Sure it will! Glad we've got a full deck at least...

Let's get this party started.

Round 1

med200 vs turnip_song

Gardevior vs Elevate

chinkeeyong vs Ragnakorio

Well we're in the midst of Mirrodin Besieged previews week. Preview weeks for the second (or third) set in a block always intrigue me. The first set is full of newness - new mechanics, new setting (or at least a refreshed setting). Later sets need to maintain this feel of newness by expanding on the mechanics potential, while not deviating so much that it feels 'too' new - the play needs to develop, not change.

This round, you are required to find a mechanic from here on the YMtC boards - it may be yours, your opponents or someone entirely absent from this contest. Find a mechanic, quote it here, and design a card that uses this mechanic in a different way. Your mechanics and balance grade will be based on your card, but I would still advise you to choose your mechanic wisely.

As a reminder you will receive a score out of 50, with 25 points for mechanics and balance, and 25 points for flavour and concept. DQ's will be handed down if you do not adequately quote / link to the original location of your selected mechanic.

That reminds me, no one's doing the Mirrodin Besieged Previews Contest?
Gardevior has no time, and razorborne who did it last time probably doesn't want to do it again.
My Resume
57106328 wrote:

And the trophy for the round goes to:
trophy.png DrJWilson - I really like how all the abilities worked together to create a really sweet card. This will be a popular pick for sure.

57718868 wrote:
1) DrJWilson 2) Silly Dragons 3) Libe
58325628 wrote:
Excellent design. Always loved Doubling Season and this card is an awesome variation on that.
58234648 wrote:
As for the card itself, it is quite possible the best use of mono-red vigilance I've ever seen on the boards. Well done.
58234648 wrote:
Love it.
58234648 wrote:
Very good design.
58025228 wrote:
I love it. Just find a good deck to use it against.
58025228 wrote:
i like it. I can imagine a bear eating a land or something then farting out the land's essence.
58325628 wrote:
Reminds me of a card I was working on earlier. I love the flavor and mechanics of this card. Great design and brilliant concept.
93144081 wrote:
I don't care if the white zombies are off, I just really like this card. Also seems likes its got a backstory I'd like to hear about. Like how I was interested in Anowon, the Ruin Sage before I realized he came from a web comic.
[quote author=64133868 post=462195821]
83237429 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
<3
58021268 wrote:
<4
<5 XD
Gardevior has no time, and razorborne who did it last time probably doesn't want to do it again.

nah I didn't even finish grading it.

It does kind of suck that it's not being done...

I'll do it (though the first week is over).

So 13th Horseman posted this in Yarium's cycle contest:

The plane of Amelia, referred to by walkers as the Null Plane, is a desolate and almost lifeless wasteland. While the reasons behind it are still unknown, it is quite apparent that the plane is suffering from an extreme lack of mana. What few decent sized pockets of mana exist are heavily guarded and constantly fought over. To live in such an unforgiving environment, those that dwell upon Amelia have adapted; mastering ways to cast spells and summon creatures despite the limited supply of mana.

Which brings us to forfeit. Forfeit allows a player to cast a spell without paying its mana cost by discarding a specified number of cards. From a flavor standpoint, this could be seen as sacrificing a part of your mind, your sanity in order to call forth something without mana. The constant small losses of sanity will steadily driving the entire plane toward madness. Mechanically, forfeit is not limited to any one color or card type.

Free cards are always dangerous, but much of that danger is mitigated by an appropriately high forfeit cost. Essentially, casting a card for its forfeit cost is casting a card at the cost of card advantage. This helps to deal with the problem of forfeit giving decks cards that are not in their colors. Most problems that might creep up in association with forfeit can be handled by simply being careful when designing a card. There should no repeats of Force of Will.

Warring Goblin - :1mana:
Creature - Goblin Berserker (C)
Forfeit 1 (You may discard a card rather than pay this card's mana cost.)
Haste
All goblins are good at only two things: fighting and dying. Some are just better at it than others.
1/1

Flare-Cleave Elemental - :2mana:
Creature - Elemental (U)
Forfeit 3 (You may discard three cards rather than pay this card's mana cost.)
Double strike
~ can't block.
The precision of a sword combined with the uncontrollable intensity of a wildfire.
2/2

Volcanic Hellkite - :3mana:
Creature - Dragon (R)
Forfeit 5 (You may discard five cards rather than pay this card's mana cost.)
Flying, haste
: ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Forged from earth, fire, and pure rage.
4/4

What he didn't say was that as the situation deteriorated on Amelia, magic users could no longer rely on any of their thoughts or ideas to fuel their spells. Rather they had to sacrifice specific parts of their mind to fire any given spell- and as time wore on these were often those they cherished most. The price of finding fertile land of any kind, for example, was to give up your idea of what that land was going to be:

Settle

Sorcery (C)
Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Landforfiet 1 (You may discard a land card rather than pay this card's mana cost.)
"Let go of your dreams of paradise. The nearby soil is thick enough."

Ignore this post. The following post is my submission.
In the Regenesis set things are just kicking off again after something (I have no idea what at this point) happened.  The set pulls back to the strengths of each color and has a good number of enchantments.

smashes faces in low cost high-quality creatures.  This is as about as good as I get at identifying with green.  Help me?!

Well, I finally think I found what feels like a ability today at work.  This has oh, about 20 minutes of actual thought into it and I am HORRIBLE at making green cards so please provide constructive criticism.  Especially the wurm, I like the idea of an inherent barrier to casting the fetched copy but unsure of how to price the actual casting cost.

Flourish: Whenever this creature deals combat damage to an opponent, you may search your library for a card with the same name and put it into your hand.  Shuffle your library.

Elvish Search Party 
Creature- Elf Scout (C)
Flourish
1/1

Crashing Wurm 
Creature- Wurm (U/R?)
Trample, Flourish
When Crashing Wurm enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice 2 lands.
6/6

Troll War-Chief  :1mana:
Creature- Troll (R)
Other Troll creatures get +1/+1 and have Flourish.
:1mana:: Regenerate
It only takes one drop of blood to begin a new tribe.
2/1

Nature's Domain  :2mana:
Enchantment- Aura (U?)
Enchant Land
Enchanted land becomes a 3/3 creature with Trample and Flourish.

This last one is probably horrible.  It just came to mind as I was typing in the rest of the cards.

Just cleaning up the wording on the ability a teeny bit:

Flourish (Whenever this deals combat damage to a player, you may search your library for a card with the same name as this, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.)

Thoughtweft Recruit |
Creature - Kithkin Soldier
Flourish (Whenever this deals combat damage to a player, you may search your library for a card with the same name as this, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.)
Thoughtweft Recruit gets +1/+1 for each other creature named Thoughtweft Recruit you control.
2/2

May or may not change my choice of mechanic.
I am very ill, and not in a hip-hop way, so this might go really badly.

Nemira was a set I started but never completed, the last edit to that post being more than a year ago. So with the benefit of hindsight I thought I would do a critique of what I'd done. I don't yet know or care whether I'm going to start designing for it again, this is just an exercise for now. So join me on this magical mystery tour!

Let's peruse the mechanics, shall we?

Winnow (If this card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may put it on top of your library instead.)

Swansong- COST: EFFECT. (When this card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, you may activate this ability.)

Thinking about this last night I've already thought of the edits I want to make to these.

Winnow [cost] (If this card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may pay [cost]. If you do, put it on top of your library instead.)

Adding a cost to this only improves the mechanic: if I want it to be free I can just make the cost 0. This way I don't have to make everything with the ability either way overcosted or way underpowered or both to prevent it from becoming abusive.

Swansong- When CARDNAME is put into a graveyard from anywhere, you may pay [cost]. If you do, [effect].

Before, swansong was some kind of weird activated ability taped to a triggered ability, but I've decided that was dumb. I think I felt like I had good reasons to make it an activated ability, but in the end I never really did. So that's that.

So without further 'Apu' (I have been zinged and I love it!!), let's start off with the white cards I had already made. Any cards I'm not editing will just have black names. For cards I am editing, the originals will have red names, any potential edits will have orange names and any edits I would definitely want to make will be posted with green names. I will, however, be applying the edits to the keywords first. You'll see how it works. Cards I'm not sure about but for which I'm unsure of potential edits will have magenta names.

One final note: don't comment on the flavour, this isn't about that! It is... different to most sets'.

Tighty whities: the first five
Cream Puff 
Creature- Elemental (C)
Flying
Winnow e (If this card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may pay e. If you do, put it on top of your library instead.)
"Um... where did you get the milk?" -Merri, lepori glykomancer
2/3

Obviously intended as Limited fodder, but even Limited fodder presents interesting conundrums. I am a little bit leery about free winnow on a creature at common, but a recurring 2/3 flying for 4 isn't going to cause anyone too much hassle, especially considering Drudge Skeletons was at common last time and must have been a very large thorn in Limited players' sides. However, now that I'm giving winnow mana costs I would prefer the majority of them to have mana costs.

Cream Puff 
Creature- Elemental (C)
Flying
Winnow (If this card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may pay . If you do, put it on top of your library instead.)
"Um... where did you get the milk?" -Merri, lepori glykomancer
2/3

Limited is not an environment I have any experience with, so if someone can weigh in in that regard that would be cool.

Evanescing Caress 
Enchantment- Aura (C)
Flash
Enchanted creature has deathtouch.
If a creature dealt damage by enchanted creature this turn would be put into a graveyard, exile it instead.
No touch could be so gentle as that which releases you.

WHITE DEATHTOUCH ARGH. Considering the context, I think it's acceptable. Obviously a set dealing with cards going into graveyards would want a greater number of exile effects. The closest comparison I can find is Lace with Moonglove which suggests the costing is fine. So I don't have any particular beefs with this card as is.

Sugarform 
Enchantment- Aura
Enchant creature (C)
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt by enchanted creature.
Whenever enchanted creature becomes tapped or is dealt damage, enchanted creature's controller sacrifices it.
To be turned into pure sugar by the glykomancers' transformative magics is a lamentable fate for anybody. But an ant afflicted with such a hex is liable to be eaten by her own sisters.

This set's Pacifism variant is an interesting one, I think, but of course I'm biased. Unlike with Pacifism, they get one block, at the cost of only getting one tap ability as well. However (I'm using that word a lot, I wonder why?) this card might be better served by a set with a greater number of tap abilities in the first place. I think tap abilities on creatures have been a tad neglected in what I've got so far of this set. So I might just chuck it out entirely and replace it with some other form of removal. If I can be bothered.

Day of Mourning :W:
Sorcery (U)
Each player sacrifices a creature.
"The day my friend died was the worst day of my life... do ants have friends?" -Astrid, lepori knight

Innocent Blood colourshift. Someone, I don't remember who, said this was a good design, so let's go with that.

Martyred Knight
Creature- Rabbit Knight (U)
First strike
Swansong- When Martyred Knight is put into a graveyard from anywhere, you may pay :W:. If you do, destroy target creature that dealt damage to Martyred Knight this turn.
His tinfoil sword is sticky with syrup- some of it his own.
2/2

White Knight variant! This is an unusual one in that its Black Knight counterpart actually has identical rules text. This is 90% awesome, 10% copout.

I've made fewer edits than I would have thought I would have by this stage. All of the cards have been fairly non-controversial so far, and I think there's a general lack of context in which I would make edits, so this thread isn't going to be as interesting as I thought it was, I'm sorry.

Winnow [cost] (If this card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may pay its winnow cost. If you do, put it on top of your library instead.)

Wizened Conifer |
Creature - Treefolk Shaman
Winnow (If this card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may pay its winnow cost. If you do, put it on top of your library instead.)
When Wizened Conifer is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may draw a card.
"My seedlings shall be taken by the winds, to be planted in wondrous lands, or to be carried away unto forever."
5/5
Oh, so somebody was interested in that thread!

Yeah. The abilities gave some cool design space to work with, but apart from that there wasn't much to comment on, since you prohibited me from commenting on the flavour.

Rhythm, by Planesrunner:

Rhythm (At the beginning of your end step, put a rhythm counter on this creature if it attacked this turn. Otherwise, remove all rhythm counters from it.)

Elite Drummers - :2mana:
Creature - Human Soldier
Rhythm
Whenever Elite Drummers attacks, if it has a rhythm counter on it, untap all creatures you control. Then if it has two or more rhythm counters on it, put a 2/2 white Soldier creature token onto the battlefield attacking. Then if it has four or more rhythm counters on it, creatures you control get +4/+4 until end of turn.
2/4
I will be using Mata_Hari's Winnow mechanic for my Round 1 submission. Please ignore the Flourish mechanic.
Sign In to post comments