Star Wars mini companion app for iPad

Hi everyone,

I have started playing SW minis a few months back. I already knew that WotC had stopped their involvement in the game but it's Star Wars so I had to try out that game as soon as the opportunity arose :-)

I searched for a good tool to support my hobby on iPad but didn't find what I was looking for. Sure between Gamer's Abaccus and Initiative, you can get something going but I am looking for more so I decided to go ahead and develop my own app. It's going slowly but steadily.

My intention is to offer the possibility to:

- search existing minis with different criteria (faction, set, points, ...), display their stats and manage your collection (have, want)
- have a searchable glossary of abilities and rules
- keep track of an ongoing game (activations, dice rolls, HP, ...)
- see stats on the games played and comparative stats on minis
- build and manage squads

Not everything will be available at first of course.

There are several reasons why I am posting here:

- see how much interest there is out there for such an app
- hear suggestions on what you would want to see in such an app
- when the app will near completion (or at least its first version), I will also presumably need some testers - but no need to contact me yet about this, time has not come yet
- discuss of copyright. Not sure if this is the best place to do so, but maybe someone with a background in law or someone who has been in the community long enough can have some comments: is it copyright infringement to use the actual names of the SW characters? the actual stats of the WotC minis? pictures of the miniatures?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and input!

/BaroqueW
Hi everyone, I have started playing SW minis a few months back. I already knew that WotC had stopped their involvement in the game but it's Star Wars so I had to try out that game as soon as the opportunity arose :-)

Welcome to the game and glad to have you aboard.
A few sites you may want to check out.  All are more active than this site now is.
www.swmgamers.com
www.bloomilk.com
www.swminiverse.com
www.d20radio.com

And check out the Regionals, GenCon, and Vassal (online play) info at the first two.
The third has all the scenarios, etc in their Docking Bay 94 section.

... I decided to go ahead and develop my own app. It's going slowly but steadily. My intention is to offer the possibility to: - search existing minis with different criteria (faction, set, points, ...), display their stats and manage your collection (have, want) - have a searchable glossary of abilities and rules ...

Most of this is already part of the BlooMilk site noted above.  And there is a neat Trading feature built-in also.  So your iPad, iPod, laptop, Blackberry, etc already have access to something like what you are creating.  Not trying to discourage you, but many people have been using that site for years and may or may not make the switch (especially since they're already using the forums).

Star Wars Shoebox is another site that had a similar function.  It hadn't been updated for a while, but now that it's being rolled up into the SWMGamers site, it will be brought up to date.

Also, there's a nifty program called Minis Manager that has about the same features.  I know this runs on PCs, but am unsure of an Apple version.

Hope that helps you.
I would jump at a chance to have something like this on the iPad.  The question I have is will it be locally stored on the iPad or not internet access in order to work?  

Chargers is correct about BlooMilk, etc. but you have to have the internet or 3G access.  I have a WiFi only iPad, so I would love something that can be locally saved.  

Count me as a tester when the time comes! 
Thanks for the feedback! (to all three of you, although for some reason the first reply I got has disappeared?!)

Thanks @Chargers for the resources, I have been listening to the podcast of the SW miniverse guys for a while to get into the game and already had a look at some of the others.

I thought I would start posting here as a more official place (maybe someone from Wizards would read and have an idea on the copyright bit...). On that topic, I tried contacting Lucas Arts on that and see if I would get a reply but nothing yet. I will try to find another contact address and if I don't get any reply, I guess I will just continue my work and try and submit it.

I also realize that SW Shoebox exists (although I didn't know that SWMgamers was picking it up - I really have a hard time with their website to find anything). If anything, there would be ways to interface/import/synchronize what's on those sites and the app (but that's a long way down the road).

I have also given a try to Minis Manager (it runs on a Mac with a VMWare or Parallels). It is definitely much more complete than what could be achieved on an iPad considering the touch interface and screen size.

Two reasons why I want to add the squad builder to the app is:

• it's nice to have something on the go, without wifi or 3G connection, even if it's less complete/integrated than other existing solutions

• when keeping track of an ongoing game (HP, activations, etc.) it will be a great help to be able to initialize the game with squads you have saved instead of retyping/readding all the miniatures of your squad to the game (if you try the Initiative app on iPad, you will see what I am talking about...) 

@philnlil, sure, i will need some testers
I thought I would start posting here as a more official place (maybe someone from Wizards would read and have an idea on the copyright bit...). On that topic, I tried contacting Lucas Arts on that and see if I would get a reply but nothing yet. I will try to find another contact address and if I don't get any reply, I guess I will just continue my work and try and submit it.

For contacting Lucas Arts,i'd suggest talking to some one over at gamers,since it seems to be on almost everybody's who's in charge speed dial over there....

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Great to see another person making an app!  Count me in line for it when it's done.

I'm in the process of making a computer game form of the Star Wars Minis that'll come out for the iPad too, hopefully.

Look forward to seeing this when it's done!
I am deff excited about this been wanting one for a while. I do use bloo milk but would love an app that would be able to be used without internet access.

Thankx Man!