My own Gamma World Game Day....

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Well I missed out on Gamma World Game Day at my local game shop, nobody showed interest. When I found out about it, it was too late. So since then I have aquired the Freesboro adventure and have talked it over with the Game shop and I will be running the Games Day adventure in late Feb. 2011.

Since I will be the only Gamma Master, I am looking at a 4hour time slot with no more than 6 PC's. I am hoping to generate some interest in the game itself as the Shop has told me only myself and 1 other have purchased any GW material.

The second Sunday of every month sees a Living Forgotten Realms game so maybe some of these guys will become Gamma Worlders once I infect them.

I am working on a small poster for the event and I will see what happens....

I would like to thank the GW forum for all the gamer created materials as I will be using the Origin 1/2 sheets and a few other things to get this Event up and running!

Thanks Guys & Gals!

If you live in or near West Palm Beach, Florida. Check out the happenings at Past Present Future Comics & Games. That is where I'll be running the event.
By the way, if anyone knows where or how I might get a hold of the Games Day poster that showed the evacuation map on it please let me know. My Game store never had one, but I would like to use it as a map when the party gets in the building.

It does not have to be mint, torn off corners from it hanging in a window or door is OK.

Thanks Guys
I wish I could get my hands on the freesboro adventure... Can't get it anywhere..
I dont have the map, but I do have this which I believe is also a part of that advert campaign for it?..

Thanks Jubjubbird, I lucked into finding that image as well. I have printed it out and laminated it and added a clip like a real ID badge. I am adding 2 of these into the adventure to be found and used by the players. For it to be effective the Player must actually wear it.
I have decided that my GW Game Day will happen on Feb. 26th saturday, from 4:30pm to 9pm.

I figure the first hour to PC creation, and the rest for mayhem! I am going to use the Origin 1/2 sheets and the PC sheets from the box. This way the Players really only need to write down thier stats and equipment.

I am debating bringing a handful od D&D/Star Wars Minis for the PC's. Or I might just stick with the tokens from the box.
GW Game Day is ON!

The posters are up at the store and the sign up sheet awaits those who will battle Ghengis Tangh!

stay posted for updates as the Day approaches, and I will post photo's and a write up of the events.

Thanks again to the community here for all the great ideas and player created items!

Kynn Bartlett, your GW level 1 character sheet is going to be printed on pale purple and green paper and used as the "Official PC sheet of the Day"!

battles14, your Origins 1/2 sheets will also be in use!

Oraibi, your consolidated Ancient Junk table, Starting Gear and GM screen will be helping out as well!

Thanks everyone!

*Just realized Kynn you are Oraibi!!! Cheers to you!
Well the "DAY" is upon us, this saturday. So far I have been informed that I have 3 players signed up! We'll see if anyone else shows up on a whim. I am prepared as best I can be and I hope it turns out well.

I will post a report of the session.
Well it was a bit of a BUST!!! Out of the 3 officially signed up, none of them showed.... I however did get a 13yr old Yu-gi-oh player who was at the store playing in a Tournament. He asked me what this strange game was I was setting up and I asked him if he had ever played anything like D&D before. He said no, pretty much only card games. I asked if he played any RPG type video games? Like World of Warcraft? he said.

If that's all you got to work with, you mold 'em! So we rolled up a character for him, he got Radioactive Android. He seemed excited by this as his responce was "YEAH!" when I said he rolled Android.

He was interested in how you make up the characters and asked about the different dice.

He named himself MODEL Xj3, chose light armor and a shield. For weapons he went with a sword and a throwing axe. Besides his explores kit I gave him the D4+1 rolls on the junk table as well. He got a tube of Supercrazy glue, a wool cap, 6 pack of Sludge cola, a Whiteboard, and a Canoe.

We started off in the Parking garage map. I told him his systems had just come back on-line after an undeterminable amout of downtime. He could only see a 3 sq area around himself and was surrounded by the equipment and junk listed on his character sheet.  He quickly asked if he could assemble some type of light giving device? Like what I said.... He proceeded to the nearest parked car and tore stuffing from the seats, stuffed it in a tin can and set it alight with his flint & Steel.

COOL! Clearly thinking outside the box is no problem for this kid! OK, I say but you hear skuttling noises and see two dark shapes moving about in the flickering shadows! He rolls his makeshift torch out into the center of the garage and sees the twqo cockroachoids take cover behind other vehicles! He can now see the exit ramp as well. "I DO NOT want to fight those things alone, I'll head for the ramp out of here." After finding the ramp blocked by a closed and locked gate and the Klickies closing in behind him he activates his O-tech, the Chameleon Shield and goes "Predator". He sees the klickies are scavengers and ends up trading his bedroll for a Kaliedescope and gets the Klickies to help him open the gate.

Emerging above ground to find himself in the ruins of an ols Shopping complex that is now surrounded by swamp he decides the canoe is pretty useful. A sudden beeping noise gets his attention as a lone electro-bot appraoaches and says "Unknown unit, identify!", Xj3 decides to fast draw his throwing axe and destroy this bot! A quick battle ensues with Xj3 suffering a slight elctro-jolt before he smashes the bot! Using his whiteboard as a paddle he heads off into the swamp in the direction he thinks the ancient residential areas would have been.

After a few miles of swamp paddling he sees a flock of Bright red birds in a tree...moving in for a closer look the flock takes flight and tried to radiate him to no avail.... He decides fighting the birds would be a moot point and chooses instead to  fell their tree with his axe!!! He finds a football in the nest...  "For a post apocalypse game the treasure is sure weird." He says, "But I guess I'll keep it."

A few miles on he comes upon a village of swamp people having a bar-b-q. He approaches and asks if they can direct him to more civilization. "Where you been son, under a rock?" asks a swamp-billy. "You could say that." he responds.....  He joins the swamp-billys for Bar-b-Q and gives the football to the swamp-children after showing them how to play! The swamp-billy elder gives him a grappling hook and tell him he's the kindest feller ever came out of the swamp. The swamp-billys point our Hero eastward and away he paddles....

eventually he leave the swamp and is travelling along a canal that opens into the intercoastal waterway (our game is taking place in Gamma Florida by the way) where he sees the reamins of ancient ships and boats. Ahead he sees a coastal village with signs of life and heads towards it. A guard in a watch tower from the village begins to wave at him frantically. Looking closer he sees the guard is pointing at him, Xj3 looks behind himself in time to see something approaching his canoe just below  the surface!!!!  A Fen leaps out of the water stabbing Xj3 with his sword spear and disappears below the surface! "I am waterproof aren't I?"  Of course I say.  Xj3 dives into the water and gives the Fen a taste of Radiation eyes!!!!  The Fen scores a "20" to hit and brigs our Hero to below bloodied! His max HP was 38. Xj3 uses his second wind, avoids a hit, then gives the Fen a machine grip! Dispatching the Fen Xj3 climbs back aboard his canoe and paddle to the coastal village. He pays his mooring fee with a canteen, gets a cot for the night at the flop house for the wool cap. And trades his 6-pack to a boat captain for a 20lb dumbbell.  The whole no money thing is not stopping this kid at all.  The boat captain asks if he is interested in a job as it looks like he could be handy in fight and such. Sure says Xj3 what do you have in mind?

There's tale of a secret bunker full of O-tech on P-nut Isle, but that is in the middle of Fen spawning grounds. Dangerous, but possible if we are sneaky.....

Xj3 says, "I'm game lets do it!"

At this point his mom showed up and he had to go, but asked if this game might be a purchase in his future. She said they could talk about it.

If nothing else, I feel I opened his eyes up to world of gaming he didn't know existed and alowed him to use his CLEARLY already existing ability to think on his feet and do things in a "game" that were nver possible in Video-games, or the CCG's he has played before.

I sent him home with his character sheet and the 2 Promo-cards fro Freesboro. he asked if I would be doing this again and I told him in about a month or so and the store would have a flyer up so to look for it.

Pretty good day.
Sign In to post comments