01/17/2011 Feature: "War!"

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Now I know why Marks article sucked!  Its beacuse yours was so good!
ACT
ION

Action boys action.

Nice set up Doug.
aw, now I have to run consuming vapors.
I understand the need for devoting a feature article to flavor, but I personally could not care less.

I'm also not particularly impressed by the preview card, but it solidifies what I was saying in another thread about trolls being green's marquee race. 
If you could not care less, then why comment?

And the preview card today is more of a Spike rare. It's damn good, but it's not particularly interesting.  
A Spike card is an odd choice for a flavor article, isn't it?
Wow, thanks for a great article! That was a great pleasure to read.
So the answer to Jace is to make control grief card? I dont understand why they just dont print a "destroy target planeswalker" card instead. There is a "destroy target (land/creature/enchantment/artifact)" so why not planeswalkers? I do like the vengevine fireball preview (apex of the red suns?) but do not understand whys its rare
but do not understand whys its rare

Beacuse commons and uncommons are supposed to be thrown away after the draft ends, silly.
By making the cards that are even worth bothering with in Constructed appear exactly once per pack (if even that), they've increased potiential sales 1500%!!

The throwaway mention of the pure Sylvok girl intrigues me. Particularly since I'm pretty confident the war will be won by Phyrexia. Maybe she'll turn into a planeswalker and escape.

The troll's card is somehow not as exciting as the prose buildup made it seem.
I hate this card. It makes me sick to read. I hate completely unanswerable creatures (yes, I know that nothing is COMPLETELY unanswerable, obviously). Someone is going to cast this in limited against me, and then someone else is going to cast it against my casual tribal Ape deck or whatever, and I'm going to wonder why Jace is so outrageously strong that they have to print things like this to compete with him. 
Best article I've read in a while, got me all pumped! =)
Preview card is awesome (if only it had an anti-discard clause)

The Phyrexians' color alignments have been seen to bleed beyond sadistic black into predatory green, cunning blue, and even hierarchical white

Phyrexia at its best.

As the planeswalkers Koth, Elspeth, and Venser have discovered, the core of Mirrodin is infested with Phyrexia. The core has become a hellish labyrinth crawling with witch engines, massive wasplike strider-beasts, and cultlike congregations of Phyrexian fanatics.

This sent a shiver down my spine. I think it's from a movie I don't exactly remember, where someone takes a bite from a fresh-looking apple, and then sees its all rotten with crawling maggots inside or something. Ew.

He's discovered a protégé, a strange Sylvok girl whose body is an aberration on Mirrodin—she is pure, completely untouched by metal. He's training her for war, honing her skills in combat and healing, such that her odd gifts may prove to tip the scales for the Mirrans in the conflict to come.

Very interesting...

Brilliant article.  Can't wait for the new set but am away for prerelease and release events
Great article, but the preview card didnt live up to the build up.

He still dies to Infect, so Regen isnt as good as normal. And if you keep mana open to Regen him vs DoJ etc then he is effectively a 6 mana 4/4.

I was expecting something really unique from the "last troll", and this doesnt deliver. We've seen Great Sable Stag and Gaea's Revenge already. I had to read it 3 times just to make sure I wasnt missing something. It could have at least been Asceticism-on-a-stick.

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Loved the article and loved the card.

@LMTRK  Thrun is the best of both of those creatures.  GSS only protects against black and blue but it can still be burned or killed with Day of Judgment.  Thrun is only a tad more expensive but protects against more (other than the fact that he can be blocked and dealt damage by blue and black sources.  Gaea's Revenge can't benefit from equipment or any non-green spell you have and it dies to Day of Judgment without being able to respond as well.  It is also 3 mana more expensive than Thrun.

Thrun's abilities may not be original, but he puts them in a very good package.

Makes me wish they didn't remove this:

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Ironic that this troll is about to fight the Phyrexian infectors... the single threat he's least well equipped to handle!

I do like the vengevine fireball preview (apex of the red suns?) but do not understand whys its rare

Because X-burn at Uncommon has a significant effect on Limited. If that's not the play style the designers wanted (and I can see why it wouldn't be) then Rare seems like a good call.

It shouldn't be all that expensive, so I don't think Rare is a cash grab there.

Boring card is boring. Though I think he's okay in an infect environment. I liked Mark's card better.
IMAGE(http://www.projektstarwars.de/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16432&dateline=1299412590) Fallen Star Verlag Play Legacy! Decks: Legacy Natural Order/Hulk EDH Iname, Death Aspect / Rosheen Meanderer Casual Elves! I petition for the removal of the mythic rarity.
As the planeswalkers Koth, Elspeth, and Venser have discovered, the core of Mirrodin is infested with Phyrexia. The core has become a hellish labyrinth crawling with witch engines, massive wasplike strider-beasts, and cultlike congregations of Phyrexian fanatics.

This sent a shiver down my spine. I think it's from a movie I don't exactly remember, where someone takes a bite from a fresh-looking apple, and then sees its all rotten with crawling maggots inside or something. Ew.

This, but I also found the mention of the mycosynth coalescing to be very interesting. It looks like the mycosynth are literally turning Mirrodin into a new Phyrexia. Wonder what this means for the world.

Thrun himself is pretty much what I expected. Super Troll Ascetic. Anyone who played with Asceticism in limited knows how that card pretty much shuts down some opponents entirely, so this guy goes a step further in being hard to answer. That said, it's hard to be excited about something you expected.
Really exceptional article. You've got a way with words my friend!
This is the type of article I would like to see more of from Savor the Flavor. It was a very enjoyable read.

As for the preview card, it's good. I'm no standard expert, but I think it could see some play. It's just hard to get too excited about it, as it's a format that's been done for years: a green 4/4 for four, loaded up with bells and whistles. Curious that they put this into standard right along side Obstinate Baloth

Makes me wish they didn't remove this:

I was one of the people who asked for that kind of a thing specifically so that they could make a card like this one.  Several years back, I wrote MaRo, asking what the use of having regeneration in green, when almost every instant or sorcery "destroy" effect didn't allow for regeneration.  All that it did, was marginalize a mechanic in a color that already needed help.  (Remember, green was considered the weakest color in the history of the game until the past few years.) 

It's a shame to lose iconic cards like WoG; but DoJ is a reasonable analog that leaves open design space.  R&D really does listen to our feedback.  I've sent in dozens of bits of feedback over the years, and I often do see changes a few years later.  (Well, when my suggestions aren't half baked that is.)

As for the troll itself, I think that it will be reasonably well played, simply because of the Fae.  How much tougher will it be for faeries to fight through both this and Great Sable Stag?  Yes, it is legendary, and yes it can be chumped with a bitterblossom token; but the fae is really more of a tempo control deck, and chumping really hurts that game plan. 

I'd put the troll as just slightly worse than Chameleon Colossus, and everyone was excited about that card when it came out.  This card may not have the top end P/T potential of CC, but it was always the pro-black and the ability to survive combat that made CC so great.  The troll is even more difficult to get rid of, even if it won't dominate combat as strongly.  Quite a strong card though overall, and better than CC in some match-ups.

Outside of top level constructed play, this seems to be a fun card for simply frustrating certain types of opponents.  Call this a griefer card to play against griefers.  Ignoring the nice stats on the card, which for some reason everyone does with green cards, the troll gets a thumbs-up from me simply because of that. 

-MT Head
The throwaway mention of the pure Sylvok girl intrigues me. Particularly since I'm pretty confident the war will be won by Phyrexia. Maybe she'll turn into a planeswalker and escape.

The troll's card is somehow not as exciting as the prose buildup made it seem.

I've said for a while that we won't have a Mirrodin Pure or New Phyrexia, but that we will have a Mirrodin Pure and New Phyrexia. 

They are going to want Phyrexia back as an ongoing nemesis, and they also want to have Mirrodin around as it has proven to be a popular plane.  With the smaller number of cards that they are now printing, I think that it allows them to print both. 

Think of it another way, how would you build and balance a set based on Phyrexia?  It would be very difficult to not make such a set darker than Nemesis, and that could upset the balance in Standard/Extended for years to come.  Now it is a small set we are talking about, and R&D is quite capable of solving difficult problems, but why solve a problem when you don't have to? 

On the other side, they spent the last 7 years setting up a return for Phyrexia.  Do people really think that they are going to let that opportunity pass, to just have to do it again some other time?  Yet, do they really want to destroy Mirrodin, and make it impossible to ever return there?

If you have to pick one side, then you end up leaving out a lot that you want in the game.  So I am convinced that R&D is not going to make that choice at all, and is going to give us both options. 

-MT (More >> Less)Head
This is the type of article I would like to see more of from Savor the Flavor. It was a very enjoyable read.[/c]. 

This.

Also, people seem to be saying this is a Spike card, which it is, to an extent, but I am the Timmy, and this card just made my day. 

This card + Liege of the Tangle + Engulfing Slagwurm + Bellowing Tanglewurm + Ascetism = YES.

And this guy is going to become a general for one of my EDH decks.  Once again, Liege of the Tangle Engulfing Slagwurm,   Bellowing Tanglewurm ,Ascetism, but now with:

Plated Slagwurm,
Terastodon
Krosan Colossus
Avenger of Zendikar
Cloudthresher
Gaea's Revenge
Khalni Hydra
Kalonian Behemoth
Krosan Cloudscraper
Mossbridge Troll
Panglacial Wurm
Rampaging Baloths
Regal Force, and on and on and on. 

And MT_Gunn- Exactly what I've been saying. Keeping one and killing the other is just too costly of a decision for R&D to make... Unless Mirrodin wins (like Urza did....) and then, 5 years from now:

Alara became infected from Elspeth visting there for a party after she rid Mirrodin of the Phyrexians. [shakes head].
A Spike card is an odd choice for a flavor article, isn't it?

No, it isn't. When the card has a deep flavor and importance in the storyline, it doesn't matter which psicograph it appeals more to. There's no such a thing as a "Vorthos-only card". Cards can appeal to Vorthos, and any other psicograph at the same time, but there's no card that exists just for flavor. So it's impossible to do what you imply would be more appropriate. It doesn' matter if it's a "Sipke card", "Johnny card" or "Timmy card", if the card is a pillar of the storyline (such as this) it belongs here.

By the way, I'd like to comment on this:
Today, most of the elves, and all other denizens of Mirrodin, assume that the trolls have died out completely.

Mirrodin needs internet, that's all. They'll see that trolls are far from extinct.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!

Wow, no more excitement or fear than this? My jaw dropped when I saw Thrun. In my opinion, this is the single most powerful card spoiled so far for the set, no contest. And I truly hope they don’t print anything stronger.

In Standard, unless you’re playing sacrifice effets (or Contagion Engine I guess), this Troll is impossible to kill outside of combat, provided that his controller leaves two mana back. People say it kinda costs 6 mana because of this, but that is true only when playing against Day of Judgement. Even then, if you can cast him turn 3 on the play, you dodge DoJ completely unless the control player also plays accel to play DoJ turn 3. After that, the only “broad” (non-narrow) ways to deal with him are very good blockers or racing with evasion. And those work only if Thrun is not pumped/made evasive himself.

Yes, he is beatable with high-thoughness creatures and sacrifice effects, but it’s not like it’s hard to fight both of these :  for creatures, play removal and/or strong equipment, and for sacrifice effects, play other creatures (such as small mana accelerators) and/or some disruption (counters, discard).

Something tells me Dispense Justice will start to get played, just to give white control decks a fighting chance. And it’s not even that good an answer depending on what the Thrun deck looks like.

Say what you want, but I am convinced Thrun is a true format breaker. If you’re wise enough to think like me, buy yours as fast as possible before the others wake up and the pros break him in large tournaments.

What might temper his success is if Infect becomes a real deck. I envision a rock-paper-scissors metagame of Infect, Jace TMS control decks, and Thrun decks.

EDIT : Wait a minute, All is Dust works! There's that life-saver for control decks, at least. I can bet Thrun will cause it to see more play.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

What might temper his success is if Infect becomes a real deck. 

This.
Awesome article and card, all previews should be like this.

Finally, they got rid of all those irrelevant elegance issues and the guilty feelings about printing good anti-control cards. Cards like this should have been printed ages ago and they wouldn't have broke formats. It isn't unanswerable at all (Baneslayer and Titans can hold him or swing past him all day long) but at least it will be respected unlike the usual turd card of the set (Spellbreaker Behemoth, Terra Stomper, Kalonian Behemoth, etc). Mythic rarity is somewhat offensive although to be fair this will be good enough as a 3-of.

Now I really want to see what happened with Glissa. Traitor? Damn, but at least it looks decent.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
The planet is full of Phyrexia?  That sounds like incredibly bad news for Mirrodin - it's a terrible tactical position to be in.  I have a bad feeling about this....
I hate this card. It makes me sick to read. I hate completely unanswerable creatures (yes, I know that nothing is COMPLETELY unanswerable, obviously). Someone is going to cast this in limited against me, and then someone else is going to cast it against my casual tribal Ape deck or whatever, and I'm going to wonder why Jace is so outrageously strong that they have to print things like this to compete with him. 

he's not that overpowered. There are several cards that "sink" mana from abilities in standard so with one of those it becomes pretty easy. He's LESS overpowered than Great Sable Stag because at least he's not prevented from being blocked by two colors.
The planet is full of Phyrexia?  That sounds like incredibly bad news for Mirrodin - it's a terrible tactical position to be in.  I have a bad feeling about this....

My opinion is that a certain Elder Dragon Planeswalker saw this coming.. that's why Tezzeret is there. The "Bang!" from Alara wasn't big enough... he needs Bigger.

The Mirrodin thing has been brewing for thousands of years...it's already lost.  Worse, the kind of power they would have on a purely artificial plane built for walking is unstoppable. I'd expect the full nine spheres are nearing completed... who sits in the ninth?  Yagmoth, Karn, ???

I think Nicol is setting up a fight between the Phyrexians and some other big bad. It took a Baker's dozen planeswalker sparks to end Phyrexia last time... Walkers aren't that strong anymore... the only thing big enough are Eldrazi. They should be drawn to Mirrodin like moths... Mirrodin is designed to be easy to walk to given their limited ability. The Phyrexians are also the only baddie capable of beating Eldrazi at their own game.  We just need to avoid Phyrexians and Hedrons... or Phyrexians and the endless supply of Eldrazi Spawn!!!

Of course, in a twist that would make M. Night Shyamalan proud, Urza was the bad guy all along.  Gerrard and Karn were just patsies.

But I don't think Creative is that clever.
Maybe they're setting up some kind of Eldrazi/Bolas/Phyrexia plot. That seems like a bit much, though.
Maybe they're setting up some kind of Eldrazi/Bolas/Phyrexia plot. That seems like a bit much, though.

Since when could the Eldrazi leave Zendikar?  Is there some line in a book that says that the Eldrazi are free the leave the plane?  Not that I would mind due to the pure epicness of the Eldrazi. 
Of course, in a twist that would make M. Night Shyamalan proud, Urza was the bad guy all along.  Gerrard and Karn were just patsies.

But I don't think Creative is that clever.

Well, most people hated him, but I get your point. And I must that it would be way, way epic. Maybe too epic for Creative to consider, actually.

Phyrexia is actually the force that would bring perfection to the whole Multiverse, and Urza, being the villan, didn't want it to happen so that he could keep his superiority, so he tricked everyone into believing that Phyrexia was the evil force, and tricked everyone!

This would fit Urza well, I must say.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!

Since when could the Eldrazi leave Zendikar?  Is there some line in a book that says that the Eldrazi are free the leave the plane?  Not that I would mind due to the pure epicness of the Eldrazi. 

I'm far from a flavor expert, but the Eldrazi aren't from Zendikar, three of them were just imprisoned there. They're from the Blind Eternities, right?

I'm far from a flavor expert, but the Eldrazi aren't from Zendikar, three of them were just imprisoned there. They're from the Blind Eternities, right?

Yes they are from the Blind Eternities.  However, when last I heard, they were stuck on Zendikar and unable to leave.  At what point did they destroy enough of their prison to allow them to leave and terrorize the multiverse?
Yes they are from the Blind Eternities.  However, when last I heard, they were stuck on Zendikar and unable to leave.  At what point did they destroy enough of their prison to allow them to leave and terrorize the multiverse?

Best guess is about 4-6 years from now.

-MT Head
Sign In to post comments