01/14/2010 LD: "How to Make a Time Machine"

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Nitpick!! Raging Bull is the other mono red common creature from Legends.  It's the only one that can deal damage on its own. 

Wow, only 15% of readers have played with any Masters Editions sets.  Get on mtgo, people!  And thank you for making these sets for the minority of us who play Classic and Legacy online and are also into the nostalgia factor. 
This is by far the best one yet, realy well done!  Ejoyed the release a ton where I got to play Demonic Turot and Hoard powered by Sol ring!  I remember playing with these guys in the very begining.  I didnt play any other ME sets, but this one is for sure a great limited enviromant, its realy worth trying.  Ton of great Commander staples in here should help people get into that format as well, Cheers!
Someone has to say the truth, so I will. First, I urge you guys to play with the set for a while before you disagree because it is a piece of crap.

Since I now know it was your idea Mr. Tom here's some feedback. What kind of genius(sarcasm) develops a set, puts several bomb enchantments in it such as Island Sanctuary, and does not put a single card that removes enchantments or bounces them in a set? What kind of cruel joke is that? Would Disenchant, Boomerang, or something like that have been too much for you? So many games are decided by lame enchantments. It's like you didn't even playtest at all.

The whole sealed/draft format revolves around Fireball and Sengir Vampire. Sengir is so much better than Serra Angel and Air Elemental because the black removal which everyone plays or splashes doesn't touch it but takes care of the others.

And thanks for no power 9

You fail

Someone has to say the truth, so I will. First, I urge you guys to play with the set for a while before you disagree because it is a piece of crap.

Since I now know it was your idea Mr. Tom here's some feedback. What kind of genius(sarcasm) develops a set, puts several bomb enchantments in it such as Island Sanctuary, and does not put a single card that removes enchantments or bounces them in a set? What kind of cruel joke is that? Would Disenchant, Boomerang, or something like that have been too much for you? So many games are decided by lame enchantments. It's like you didn't even playtest at all.

The whole sealed/draft format revolves around Fireball and Sengir Vampire. Sengir is so much better than Serra Angel and Air Elemental because the black removal which everyone plays or splashes doesn't touch it but takes care of the others.

You fail

Sounds like someone 0-2ed a couple of masters drafts. =P

I always have fun drafting ME.  Of course there will be bombs, this is true pretty much any limited set.  

w.e 
When will masques block be released online? I want some rishadan ports

No actually I have done quite well. This is a development column, I am pointing out his development mistakes. And I know no one on this forum is as good as Magic as I am to do that, so I'm doing that in the hope Tom reads this. There are no answers to Control Magic in this set. None. Karakas was the best card in ME3, but at least we had Evil Presence to make it a swamp. This set is a development failure. It's moderately fun, it just could have been a lot better.
I don't like your tone, but you actually raise a good point. If that thing about the lack of enchantment kill is true it's a terrifying oversight.
The article was interesting, but it surprised me that the problems described in it weren't dealt with in the simplest and most straightforward manner.

If the card pool from before Mirage was lacking in cards needed to make the Limited format work properly, why couldn't the set include a few cards from later periods of Magic? I doubt that people would have complained if they found a copy of Tarmogoyf in a Masters' Edition booster.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Rise Limited was fun - would have been even better with less Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
The article was interesting, but it surprised me that the problems described in it weren't dealt with in the simplest and most straightforward manner.

If the card pool from before Mirage was lacking in cards needed to make the Limited format work properly, why couldn't the set include a few cards from later periods of Magic? I doubt that people would have complained if they found a copy of Tarmogoyf in a Masters' Edition booster.

you clearly are not familiar with the sheer number of whiny d-bags that populate mtgo are you?
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
I am 100% positive the lack of enchantment removal was on purpose.  Why?  Maybe to make some good cards into really good bombs?  I don't really know, but that's the type of thing this column definitely should have discussed. 
you clearly are not familiar with the sheer number of whiny d-bags that populate mtgo are you?

I see a bit of what could be perceived as whining from physical card players in this forum. What I had missed, though, is that Masters' Edition had ever been advertised as exclusively being made from the really old cards.

But, then, since I suspect most people do perceive it primarily as a way to get those cards, not a way to play Limited, then putting more recent cards in (even if they're good ones) might be considered padding.

Of course there will be bombs, this is true pretty much any limited set.

Yes indeed. And it's becoming increasingly clear why this is when you read Tom's comments on rares.

It almost reads as "the thing we like about rares is that they're broken". This makes me sad.

Nitpick!! Raging Bull is the other mono red common creature from Legends.  It's the only one that can deal damage on its own. 

Wow, only 15% of readers have played with any Masters Editions sets.  Get on mtgo, people!  And thank you for making these sets for the minority of us who play Classic and Legacy online and are also into the nostalgia factor. 

I've played a little MTGO just to see what it was like during a time when I wasn't able to play with my physical cards much, but didn't stick with it because of the "splitting my collection" problem. If I can't play my physical cards with my online cards or vice versa, and one collection is older and bigger and has more of a social experience with it, it was easy to let the MTGO stuff go when I was able to play with my real cards again.

I've played a little MTGO just to see what it was like during a time when I wasn't able to play with my physical cards much, but didn't stick with it because of the "splitting my collection" problem.

I have no desire whatsoever to "start over".

I was a bit puzzled by the lack of enchantment removal as well.  There aren't that many enchantments, in any case, but the ones that are there can be some fairly deadly hosers, which does seem to be a recipe for games that end up being quite unfair.  Of course, some of the other hosers are sorceries like tsunami or acid rain, and nothing is going to help you with those either.  In some ways, the wicked hosers are part of what this time period of magic was about, but still - some sort of tranquility or disenchant effect would have been nice.

The main thing distinguishing MED4 from earlier sets is the very heavy level of artifacts, which I'm surpised Tom didn't comment on.  It seems like are almost as many artifacts in MED4 as there are in Scars of Mirrodin!  There are so many answers to artifacts in this set, however, that artifacts really do feel pretty fragile.

I've only played 2 drafts so far, and went 2-1 and 3-0.  I can't tell if I like the draft experience yet or not, but my luck at drawing rares continues - out of 6 packs all I have to show is a smoke, a fork, and a braingeyser.  One guy I played had two dual lands (at least!), just to rub it in, I suppose.
Even though I can't see myself ever playing MTGO, I've enjoyed reading these articles about MED since it gives a good peek inside the brains of WOTC.

Thoughts:

Since you insist on making releases like MED draftable, will there be certain old cards just never released? Or will you put them in some sort of "rest of the crap" boxset available for a token price? 

-----------------------------------------------------

Why do you insist on errata'ing the old Portal "instant-sorceries" into instants, instead of having them be sorceries with flash?  Since there are cards that specifically deal with instants and sorceries, would it not be easier to leave as close to it's original wording as possible? Changing these cards feels like you're reinventing the wheel. And it's now a square.

------------------------------------------------------

Portal Three Kingdoms really, really, really, really needs a paper reprint. Maybe some kind of series of duel decks?

-------------------------------------------------------

Using Portal to fill in the common creature gaps often does some strange things to the creative feel of the set. For example, Alaborn Musketeer's reach ability, quite strange for a white card these days, is justified by the enormous gun that he is holding. Masters Edition III was even more jarring, as heroic fantasy portraits like those on Marhault Elsdragon or Riven Turnbull lived next to realistic depictions of historical Chinese people from Portal: Three Kingdoms.

I sometimes wonder what the designers and developers of the Portal sets would think if they saw a Southern Elephant being regenerated by an Elephant Graveyard or a Shu Elite Companionssneaking past Arcades Sabboth. However, that's what it takes to make a playable Masters set, and it gives those sets an anarchic and unique feel that I enjoy.

This is how I've always seen the game of Magic. It's fun for a bit to play in one world at a time for a while, but it doesn't get really interesting until you have the elves and the cat people fighting the goblins and the slivers*, and your manabase consists of one of each dual land that's been printed over the years because you don't buy singles and somebody insists on printing the good mana-fixers at rare.

*(brings to mind an amusing sig I saw on a newsgroup posting years ago: "I bought the Civil War chess set and the Star Trek chess set: now I have the South fight the Klingons.)

------------------------------------------------

Obligatory please print some of these older cards (even the mechanically so-so, but flavorfully awesome ones) request.

Especially Portal Three Kingdoms. Seriously, it's practically criminal how rare these are.
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
MTGO is too expensive.
Good riddance.

World of Warcraft costs less than $15 to play for a whole month. Any other online videogame costs around the same or they're free. The drafting in MTGO is too expensive. It's like $25 to draft ONCE. Thats like $100 to draft 4 times. That's 10 times more than I'd be willing to pay even to play 4 times Money mouth

If MTGO had a subscription fee that would net me a deal on getting new cards every month and the UI was improved and placed on PS3 I would pick it up again.

Put this on PS3. This would give the brand good exposure. I'm not sure how successful MTG has become since Duels Of The Planeswalkers was put on PS3 but personally I didn't buy it.. I first got into mtg in '95 and during that time Ice Age was the popular set. MTG was still pretty new and it had fascinated all of my friends. Duels Of The Planeswalkers.. besides not even playing like proper MTG and being almost unrecognizeable from the card game.. utterly fails to captivate the majority of the people who would want to play. Considering that the Atlus published Demon's Souls became a Greatest Hits title simply from word of mouth I am confidant that if a worthy mtg digital product was made - mtgo isnt there yet, for over 10yrs now? sorry but this is just pathetic - the PS3 customer would notice.
Most people are very jaded about PC gaming. Very few worthy pc games come out in any given year and an Apple computer is better for school and life-stuff. I know a lot of people would argue against this but I think they're just wrong. There is no reason to own a PC for me they are unstable and it is a liability. I partioned windows to play MTGO but because of the reserved list being in existence, ironically I have focused on collecting the old out of print sets. I want to get them before they become too scarce. And I simply do not care to get any of them as digital cards if WOTC cannot even offer redemption nor affordable payment options. I waste way too much time trying voice my concerns here. I like Magic The Gathering. but WOTC has too much product now to keep up with and since the older sealed stuff is so iconic I have no reason to buy new cards.

MTGO is a bad deal.

Its actually depressing to think about Magic The Gathering AT ALL.

People want to play. Why doesnt anyone lighten up?

You fail

This, just in a nicer tone.

After how brilliant MED3 was with the Legends, which made eveyr color have access to good creatures, I was hoping for more of the same in this set.  I was sorely disappointed.

Common creatures are horrible.  The ground gets clogged, and then someone wins with a bomb flier or a Fireball.  There is no way to deal with Enchantments, which is a joke.  There are no good answers to Sengir Vampire.

Limited play is better than MED1 and 2, but that's not saying much.  It's still a bad set for limited play, whereas MED3 was a legitimately good one, not just good for an older set.

Yes indeed. And it's becoming increasingly clear why this is when you read Tom's comments on rares.

It almost reads as "the thing we like about rares is that they're broken". This makes me sad.

There's a very obvious reason for this.  It's really, really hard for bad players to win in limited without bombs.  Unlike constructed, where they can find a readily made good deck on the internet in 20 seconds, in limited you have to figure out what's good yourself.  Giant Dragons and Sphinxes and stuff will win games even for bad decks.  Most people won't play if they can never win, and therefore bombs lead to more players playing.
There are no answers to Control Magic in this set. None.

There is one answer to Control Magic: Red Elemental Blast.  It is very odd that there is no general enchantment removal though.

There's a very obvious reason for this.  It's really, really hard for bad players to win in limited without bombs.  Unlike constructed, where they can find a readily made good deck on the internet in 20 seconds, in limited you have to figure out what's good yourself.  Giant Dragons and Sphinxes and stuff will win games even for bad decks.  Most people won't play if they can never win, and therefore bombs lead to more players playing.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. Think that might have something to do with the outrageous power level of creatures in all sets lately? I mean, why think and build a deck with a decent mana base and some level of synchonicity when you can just jam 4-of bombs in and win turn 4?

Lowering the mental challenge required to play means more players. Do you think more people know how to play checkers or more people know how to play chess?
Lowering the mental challenge required to play means more players. Do you think more people know how to play checkers or more people know how to play chess?

Lowering the "smarts floor", so to speak, also makes it easier to undercut the whole plan by digging up a handfull of circa 1994 cards.

Of course, that's probably exactly why paper Vintage has been left to further rot, and paper Legacy has been obviously set up to implode.

Symbol of Unsummoning will also deal with Control Magic.

Swords to Plowshares, Serra Bestiary, Control Magic, Weakness, Shivan Dragon, Mahamoti Djinn, Giant Growth, Horn of Deafening, Icy Manipulator, Just Fate , Fireball etc will deal with Sengir.  It's one of the best creatures in the set, but it's not unbeatable.  It was always one of the best in the early years so it is fitting that it is here, too. 

Whoever said each color doesn't have access to good creatures is just wrong, though.  All 5 colors and the artifacts all have 2 or 3 fatties to choose from (fatties in this set being 4/4 or bigger).

You guys are right that this set is all about the board-sweeping bombs.  A lot of the games I've been playing have had the board cleared at least once.  I've just played the sealed swiss so far, though.  Haven't seen if draft plays like that, too.

Lowering the "smarts floor", so to speak, also makes it easier to undercut the whole plan by digging up a handfull of circa 1994 cards.

Of course, that's probably exactly why paper Vintage has been left to further rot, and paper Legacy has been obviously set up to implode.

And here I thought that this was none of Wizards' doing. Well, it's obviously their doing, but not their fault.

That is, they don't really have a choice when it comes to paper reprints of the original duals, any more than they do when it comes to paper reprints of the Power Nine. Too many dealers have the original duals in stock, and you don't want to kick your distribution network in the teeth.

And that's why I think that Wizards should hear our cries... and do what it can. In my opinion, an obvious option is a new eternal format that is designed to be a quasi-Legacy. So that the old style cards are still around in one lively format that provides the classic Magic experience in an accessible and affordable form.

The question for that is still the same as earlier though: who plays this format? They can't even get a format with only seven years to work so they threw a hail mary and made it Nu-Extended. Now the jury is still out on that format as we probably won't know anything substantial until the Zendikar crowd can no longer play with their cards. But if there was a market for a quasi-Legacy, then the previous Extended should have been thriving. I don't see how people would play a format with a ten or twelve year span when they would not a play a format with a seven year span.

Legacy is what it is because of cards that fall well outside of a Masque-forward window or a Mirage-forward window with none of the reserved cards (which is even more questionable). Simply making a format with an arbitrary line seemed a lot better a year ago than now. There has to be a reason people would want to play this instead of Legacy outside of the logical one, that WOTC can reprint anything they want to keep the format from having too many barriers to entry. Someone has to want to play it as well. We've got a subset of displaced Extended players (lke myself) that might give this a wave but if it were to be successful at all it would have to at least partially cannibalize Legacy.
I'm for a post-Mirage "modern" block, but that's probably because all my old cards are from Mirage to Urza's Destiny.
Quadibloc:

What was recommended by Evan Erwin over at Starcitygames.com were SNOW-DUALS.
They'd be just like the duals that exist now, only with the snow supertype (?) added to them. They're allowed to do this they'd be duals that function differently. They reprinted Fork as Reverberate it functions the same way as fork but with clearer rules and less weird things can happen when you play it. You can buy Reverberates for like $1. Fork in good condition will still cost like $10. Nothing has changed the value.

Why?
Magic The Gathering is a collectible and it doesnt need anyone to 'make' it one it just 'is'.

If anyone doubts this I question their sanity.

Another example is Plague Sliver which is a time-shifted Juzam Djinn. Although point to be made with other Plague SLivers on the board it works nothing like Juzam. 2 Plague Slivers would deal 4 damage to you

It's possible they will do another snow set sometime. I think they should cuz Coldsnap wasn't very good. Especially if they printed some other snow-hate like Icequake , Arcum's Sleigh, Cold Snap
there are no gameplay imbalance issues. fetch lands are good for land fall and 'top, and other trix, and snow duals with regular duals for even more duals... it doesnt make a deck any better really. yeah you pay life with the fetch lands but the decks that use those have ways of making those fetchlands work for them. the ppl with duals would probbaly still use fetches and duals. ppl without duals would use the new duals maybe and fetches.

but of course WOTC would never do this because that would make people happy

The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale

vs.

Pendrell Mists, Musician

^ I'd argue that if you could put Pendrell Mists in a blue deck it is a better card.
Musician is better than it looks 3 toughness blocking is nice and 1 power is cool... its a tabernacle on a stick. It has cumulative upkeep but ya whatever. musician also has the advantage of beign able to stack music counters which is something tabernacle in your deck cannot do since it is legendary you could never play a 2nd

If WOTC wanted they could change other reserved lists cards pretty subtlely or even make them more powerful and bring back more of those cards in some similarly functional form. the reserved list really doesnt serve any purpose at all.

They aren't printing anything at the power level of the original duals until they get really desperate for cash. I don't know why people continue to dwell on this. The duals you see now are the duals they are going to make.

Fork was not pulled because it was too strong. It was pulled because it was causing lots of calls to customer service for ruling questions.

We've got a subset of displaced Extended players (lke myself) that might give this a wave but if it were to be successful at all it would have to at least partially cannibalize Legacy.

If not reprinting the original duals is causing Legacy to die and fade away, then there must be displaced (potential) Legacy players out there.

Unless Legacy dying out is really a non-problem, despite what some people say.

It's not a non-problem, but if there were really an audience for it then Extended would never have been sacrificed. Paper Legacy will die, we all know and expect that. And there's more on the reserved list than duals. The thing about Legacy is more than just the duals though. It's playing with all the "old stuff." There is no format that would recreate that short of making another Legacy with every reserved card banned. And that still would not be the same thing.

It's hard to say at what point they will be able to capture people who aren't playing now but would love to play an older format with the line somewhere between Alpha and Lorwyn. The Extended line didn't work; why would Masques work? Mirage? You can't manufacture that feeling of playing with "old stuff" without actually including the old stuff. So there have to be enough people for whom some other specific point was a proper beginning, that would also want to play in a competitive format again.
Vintage and Legacy are kept alive entirely by the singles aftermarket, which makes Wizards no money.

Attempting to monetize Vintage and Legacy by reprinting power cards will piss off as much of the player base as it caters to, resulting in a net loss, or at best too slight a gain to be worth the overhead it would take to get the product out.

They have no motivation I can think of to prevent the older formats from dying a slow, miserable death.
They can capture those players online anyway.

Too bad that simply isn't happening:
Wow, only 15% of readers have played with any Masters Editions sets.

Maybe, just maybe, it's because the ridiculously overpowered cards they don't want to reprint are the only reason most people play older formats? NO THATS RIDICULOUS
Maybe, just maybe, it's because the ridiculously overpowered cards they don't want to reprint are the only reason most people play older formats? NO THATS RIDICULOUS

Well, that is the problem. Sort of.

The old cards people already have in their collections are another reason.

And there are ridiculously overpowered cards they can reprint. You can get a playset of Dark Ritual so cheaply, there is hardly a point in reprinting it. And reprinting Channel is unlikely to make its value drop either.

They can reprint Sol Ring too, but here a suitable rarity would be important.

Making Sol Ring and Channel legal in the format, of course, would require something like the Archive Set I've suggested, or a broader definition than 6th Edition and Masques forward.

Maybe its because legacy doesn't really look like its dying and paper legacy events have been posting record attendence in the past year.

There are a variety of other things that I'd attribute the "many people who read the wizards site and vote in polls don't play masters edition" thing too, other then the group of legacy players who are quiting the game because legacy "is dying." ME1 and 2 limited sucked, the wizards site readership seems to be very casual, the wizards site readership has a lot of paper only players, etc. I'm not sure if using a tangentially related wizards poll to justify a claim that players are switching to online for legacy or are quitting the game instead of switching to online is a very strong argument.
I'm sure there are many people who play MTGO, and who welcome the opportunity to play Legacy there.

A few people may have been persuaded to join MTGO because Legacy is possible there.

And there are also many people who aren't interested in online Magic, but only play paper Magic. It would seem to me that there are likely to be a large number of such people, even if there are also many people who do play MTGO.

Legacy may be popular even with paper cards, and the claim that it is "dying" may be an exaggeration. I would think that a "Legacy Lite" would have wide appeal, though, to people who find Legacy appealing but unaffordable. If anything, the reason Wizards might think this kind of a format is something not to be encouraged is that it might drain players away from Standard. People who can play Legacy won't prefer this format, although they might play it as well if it gives them more opportunities to find opponents.

The power is not the only reason, no, but it does define those formats and it is vital to them. The eventual lack of it will make Legacy inaccessbile to too many people the way Vintage is now due to that power being inaccessible. 

As for the number of people playing MTGO versus paper, yes we know that first number is lower. And even smaller subset of those players read mothership articles. But no, there isn't a mass exodus of players leaving paper for online play. (I doubt all the posters in the MTGO forums even read Tom's articles.) However, there are new sets being sold by WOTC for online Legacy play that people are most definitely buying, which was my point. They cannot do this in paper.
My favorite contribution to the set was putting Giant Growth in; there was no other available green creature pump spell, and although the card had been in all three previous Masters Editions, there was nothing before Mirage that I could include that did anything similar.

Bounty of the Hunt, anyone? I guess it was on the "couldn't include" list.

Fanatical Fever hasn't been in a Master's Edition set yet, either, and Foxfire, Subdue, and Undergrowth are other eligible green instants capable of screwing with combat.

- Doug

"Collectability is just a code-word for ripping you off." - David Sirlin