D&D Product Lineup Changes FAQ

53 posts / 0 new
Last post

D&D Product  Lineup Changes FAQ 

Answer

Q: Why are you cancelling the D&D Miniatures line?
A: The current D&D Miniatures model was not meeting the internal goals we had set. However, we will continue to explore other options for players to represent characters and monsters on the tabletop.

Q: How long will the minis sets remain available in stores?
A: There is no specific limitation on this. However, check with your local store on the availability of any particular set.

Q: Will Wizards be releasing any minis for D&D play in the future?
A: We are still planning on releasing special collector sets, as well as plastic miniature figures in a variety of board game releases.

Q: Why was the Heroes of Shadow book pushed back?
A: We have decided to release this book as a hardcover product and need to allow time for reformatting.

Q: Why have the Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium and Hero Builder's Handbook been removed from the calendar?
A: We are constantly striving to remain conscious of the way our fans consume our content. We felt that the material in these titles would best be presented in other ways and we have plans to make it available in the future.

Q: Why have you decided to stop compiling the monthly magazine issues?
A: We have found that fans favor our articles individually as opposed to downloading monthly compilations. This is not a reduction in content, just a clarification of presentation.

Q: Will you still be doing updates and errata to the magazine articles?
A: Yes, we will still be updating the content, but now those updates will go directly into the individual articles.

wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...

Reposted the FAQ above because I don't know if folks have seen it or were able to find it and it has more answers regarding the hot topic of the recently cancelled products etc.  The link at the bottom is the FAQ itself. 
Hey, Thanks for doing this!
I am linking to this thread as the official discussion thread.

@DarkSavior:  Thank you for creating this thread.
I am linking to this thread as the official discussion thread.

@DarkSavior:  Thank you for creating this thread.

NP thought it may save some people some time and upset.

On the magazines: totally pissed.  Can we even really call them magazines anymore?

On the minis: disappointed.  I liked minis and am sad we don't have more available.  tokens just aren't the same.

On Heroes of Shadow: This is the only good news... I wanted it to be a hardcover from the start.

On Mordenkainen's Emporium: Why is this one cancelled?  The one thing Essentials was missing was a decent magic item book, and at GenCon you got us all riled up looking forward to this title.  Sanctioned rarity for magic items... the DMs in the crowd were on the moon.  Way to bring us back to earth I guess.

I actually wrote something much longer, but my browser ate it, so I guess I'll settle for this.
Second on the magazine.  I used to download and read them on airplanes - too much trouble to do that article by article now (one more part of my subscription I won't use).

Minis - Big second.  Pogs suck. I still have my collection of lead figures from the late 70's and early 80's.

Part of the reason the collections haven't done well is because WOTC makes it impossible to get the ones you need without ending up with 100's of duplicates, and they are darn overpriced.  Reduce the price, increase the volume, and provide a better way to pick what you buy and net profit will expand.
Not compiling the magazines is waaaay not good.  Of all of it, this is the part that annoys me the most.
Famous campaign setting: www.sigilprep.com Unfamous web comic: www.department34.com

A: The current D&D Miniatures model was not meeting the internal  goals we had set. However, we will continue to explore other options for  players to represent characters and monsters on the tabletop.

Scrw your internal goals! Your main goal should always to please your customer base. I for one will never play with creatures that in the form of cardboard POGS.

A: We have decided to release this book as a hardcover product and need to allow time for reformatting.

I'm really happy with this decision!

Q: Why have the Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium and Hero Builder's Handbook been removed from the calendar?
A: We are constantly striving to remain  conscious of the way our fans consume our content. We felt that the  material in these titles would best be presented in other ways and we  have plans to make it available in the future.

I was going to buy Mordenkain's Magnificent Emporium, but alas Wizards of the Coast is dissolving in Hasbro's stomach acid. Soon Wizard's of the Coast will be no more...

A: The current D&D Miniatures model was not meeting the internal  goals we had set. However, we will continue to explore other options for  players to represent characters and monsters on the tabletop.

Scrw your internal goals! Your main goal should always to please your customer base. I for one will never play with creatures that in the form of cardboard POGS.

Internal goals: read as "Profit margins". Blech.

I wrote a blog post today that touches on that subject.

Nothing.

That is all.

Totally agree - the cardboard pogs just SUCK! I bought the Monster Vault and the pogs are a total waste - I will never use them.

I wrote a blog post today that touches on that subject.

Good post. I hope the guys down at Wizards read it and take heed.
I for one like the pogs, and the monster box is one of only two Essentials products that I'm almost completely happy with (the other being the Rules Compendium).  I say almost, because the essentials products are supposed to be everything you need for a rhobust D&D campaign out of the box, and the Monster box is sorely lacking in high level threats for epic tier play, but that has nothing to do with the pogs.  I'm sad to see minis go, but happy to see a functional tabletop representation for almost all of the monsters in the book included with it.

I would have preferred upright cardboard tokens with plastic standees, but whatev's. 

Thanks. If only they would take heed of such things... but I guess we'll see where everything is going when it's finally gotten there.

Nothing.

That is all.

Thanks. If only they would take heed of such things... but I guess we'll see where everything is going when it's finally gotten there.

Which would be too late to do anything about it...

That's how they steered the Titanic...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Oh TSR, where art thou? You always put the customers ahead of profit or business plans...

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

TSR failed and that is that as far as minis go I can live without themas I do like the essentials monster vault format alot better. The mags while sad they were dead, the content was getting worse all the time. As for the cancelled books to be given to us in another format I was really looking forward to both books and now it does not look like we will get either anytime soon. I think this ends 4th/ES as we know it, but I will continue to play with the books I have as they are a great game. If this is the beginning of the 5th ed, I wish everyone luck but this will be the first edition of D&D since the late 70's I will not be getting. Its time to move on and find a more stable game or just play with the material I have currently.
Miniatures going away, presumably in favor of more token sets. Extremely disappointing.

No more Dungeon or Dragon issues, just articles. My best guess would be that's 100% about pirated PDFs of the full issues on the internet. Also disappointing.

Canceling 3 releases this year? Worrisome.

After the DDI nonsense, and the builder nonsense, and now this nonsense, I'm getting a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

WotC, I'm not even asking you to stop abusing me. I'm just asking you to stop using a closed fist.
They specifically said the current prepainted minis are going away. Presumably minis will still be around but be available differently.

Q: Will Wizards be releasing any minis for D&D play in the future?
A: We are still planning on releasing special collector sets, as well as  plastic miniature figures in a variety of board game releases.

I do not buy miniatures, although I do enjoy using my freinds' miniatures. However, it looks rather defeatist of the Wizards to cease production on such an iconic product, especially since Fourth Edtion works best with figures and a tactical map.

A: We have decided to release this book as a hardcover product and need to allow time for reformatting.Q: Why have the Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium and Hero Builder's Handbook been removed from the calendar?
A: We are constantly striving to remain  conscious of the way our fans consume our content. We felt that the  material in these titles would best be presented in other ways and we  have plans to make it available in the future.

A bit of good news about one book, but much bad news about other books. To what have we to look forward? Only some poorly written articles? The previous hardcover books were all, without exception, excellent. Would that Wizards would build on their success, rather than panick like this.

A: We have found that fans favor our articles individually as opposed to  downloading monthly compilations. This is not a reduction in content,  just a clarification of presentation.

I would like to meet that fanatic. Myself, I much prefer a neatly organized folder full of compiled issues on my desktop. If I want splintered chunks of data, I consult the on-line Compendium.

All of these things look like the Wizards are havign a nervous breakdown, because their sales do not rival World of Warcraft or Magic the Gathering. It is faithless of them to upset the smooth working of Fourth Edition, and it is foolish of them to dream that any fantastic marketing/production scheme will ever allow them to achieve general popularity with a tabletop roleplaying game. It is a hobby for literate people in the midst of an increasingly illiterate society. Better to sell the rights to Paizo if they do not like such a niche market.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
On the mini's.

This isn't the end of the mini's.  It's not.  They're changing the models, from the game based, random packs, to more specific packs, without randoms.  This is actually advantageous for those of us who want specific mini's.  It also means they can focus on minis that are for the game, and not some of the odd monsters that they had in there before for the battlemat.  This may show an actual increase in support for the books.  This could turn out to be a good thing, unless you liked the battle game.  For those, I do feel for you.

HOS hardback.  Thank you.  I'll pay more for it to endure.

Hero builder> If you can't figure out how to build classes off the format they gave, not sure how much this book would help.  Besides, I'm not keen on fleshing out a thirty level class, mostly due to powers.  This is probably better for dungeon articles... which is what it sounds like is happening.

MME> Okay, for those of you having to use Essentials rules,  the fact this is likely to be sparsed out as DDI content is both bad and good.  Good, it releases it sooner, possibly.  Bad, is that it will be portioned out over a longer period of time.  Magic item books have apparently not sold well, even if I as an individual am always hungry for them. 

Compilations> I think most of us who frequent here took that survey.  It seems there are more of us like me who just go for the individual articles as opposed to the compilations.  I only go to the comp's for the errata.

I don't see this as necessarily a panic.  If this is the harbinger of 5.0, I will be disappointed, I think there are alot of products still somewhat needed to completely flesh out the game.  If they do discontinue, I hope someone picks up the ball and runs with it, and I will look at 5.0 with the same critical eye I did 4.

If it's deck based, I will not be handing over my money.
I doubt it as they said they were not making any money off of them so why continue to produce them. Its the beginning of the end od 4th at least and maybe D&D as a whole.
On the mini's.

This isn't the end of the mini's.  It's not.  They're changing the models, from the game based, random packs, to more specific packs, without randoms.  This is actually advantageous for those of us who want specific mini's.  It also means they can focus on minis that are for the game, and not some of the odd monsters that they had in there before for the battlemat.  This may show an actual increase in support for the books.  This could turn out to be a good thing, unless you liked the battle game.  For those, I do feel for you.

I see nothing that suggests their moving in general to nonrandom minis - rather, what I read is that they're discontinuing all mini production except the occasional collector's set, and those minis that are packaged with things like Castle Ravenloft and other board games.

I love tokens.  And off the forums, I've generally heard good reception for them.

Tokens are cheap and easy to make and mass produce – thus allowing for far more character and monster possibilities than miniatures are.  With a short time frame, and a handful of token sets, I think I'll have suitable token representations for my PCs and NPCs.  And I can make tokens pretty easily on my own, as well. 

Tokens are probably the smartest thing WotC has done since the launch of 4e. 

HoS as a hardcover is sweet.  I'm happy about that.  And they said the content from those three cancelled books WOULD get to us, some way or another, just not in the format of those books.  So stop being all doom and gloom everybody.  You're acting like they've scrapped those books' content. 

The idea that this is the beginning of the end is somewhat ridiculous, IMHO. 

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

A: The current D&D Miniatures model was not meeting the internal goals we had set. However, we will continue to explore other options for players to represent characters and monsters on the tabletop.

I just hope (or better dream) that Wizards can deliver themed packs of minis, maybe linked to the adventures. I have a huge collection of minis, so from a certain point of view this move will save my money and garage space.

Q: Why was the Heroes of Shadow book pushed back?

I really liked the digest format of Essentials, because it saved so much space on my bookshelves. By the way, as a DM I was not really interested in that book. The 2011 catalogue is too much sparse right now and the only book I intended to buy, the Nentir Vale Gazetteer, has already been removed from the list. 5th Edition really looks right behind the corner. 

A: We have found that fans favor our articles individually as opposed to downloading monthly compilations. This is not a reduction in content, just a clarification of presentation.

I have already commented on this. RIP Dragon and Dungeon. (I have been a fond reader of Dragon since 1989.)

A: We have found that fans favor our articles individually as opposed to  downloading monthly compilations. This is not a reduction in content,  just a clarification of presentation.

I would like to meet that fanatic. Myself, I much prefer a neatly organized folder full of compiled issues on my desktop. If I want splintered chunks of data, I consult the on-line Compendium.

"Hello, nice to meet you. I see all this and agree with a lot of the disappointment (though maybe less with the doomsaying and foolishness). However, of all of these things, I'm glad to hear that at least they won't be forcing me to stuff a bunch of magazines into a folder and then try to figure out what articles were in which magazine to make sure that the individual articles I am actually using, have up to date errata. I have a system for organizing the individual articles, and when we're talking about data, you'd have to be pretty lazy not to be able to keep your computer organized."

"Otherwise, though, I don't know what WotC is thinking, but I think they've decided to just throw out as much random crap as possible and hope that something catches. The thing that pisses me off is that it's like to deal with 3PP tossed into the core. I don't use 3PP, because they're often disorganized slog with little eye for balance. I don't want to see them test a bunch of crap and then not follow through."

"Now, we have essentials classes (which may or may not see further expansion), two classes that have the bare minimum of support (Seeker and Runepriest), and the vampire class coming out soon (I'm sorry, Vampire class, Wizards? Couldn't you work it like that Forgotten Realms Spellscarred, or is that too much follow through of a concept for you). How about supporting hybrids and multiclassing, the newly implemented magic item system (which I personally want to love, if they give me any actual items to fill it out and show me exactly what I can expect from rare items, a handful of examples doesn't do it for me), and any of your other material that you eagerly threw at us, and then quickly abandoned without any actual support."

"My greatest hope is that they give us enough support to see 4th edition trail off, and like TSR before them, die after their second edition and send it to someone who is willing to market it correctly. When you do, please send those designers who actually know how to make a good product (Wyatt, Heinsoo, Cordell, among others) and realize that consistency, organization, and customer service make more money than this unending stream of crap that is rolling all the way downhill to us."
"Don't ask me about the way I type, at best, I'll ignore you (or have no intention of actually reading the thread I posted in again). If I respond, it will probably be sarcastic. I could explain it here, but really, why should I? I am asked often, and usually in a rude and condescending manner, and so, giving the answer here would only serve to satisfy the curiosity of a bunch of stupid people I don't care to grant that benefit. Also, if it annoys you, just remember that somewhere out there, my spirits were lifted, because I really like annoying people that are close-minded enough to be annoyed by something as minor as that; not to mention, there are a good number of people on the internet who can't even bother to learn to write American English (or any other form of English, I can't make criticisms about languages in which I am not proficient) properly (people for whom it is their first language), and that is far more irritating, yet commonly accepted."
I love tokens.  And off the forums, I've generally heard good reception for them.

Tokens are cheap and easy to make and mass produce – thus allowing for far more character and monster possibilities than miniatures are.  With a short time frame, and a handful of token sets, I think I'll have suitable token representations for my PCs and NPCs.  And I can make tokens pretty easily on my own, as well. 

Tokens are probably the smartest thing WotC has done since the launch of 4e. 

HoS as a hardcover is sweet.  I'm happy about that.  And they said the content from those three cancelled books WOULD get to us, some way or another, just not in the format of those books.  So stop being all doom and gloom everybody.  You're acting like they've scrapped those books' content. 

The idea that this is the beginning of the end is somewhat ridiculous, IMHO. 

Go Away! You pokemon player! Real roleplayers use miniatures not POGs!

I like tokens, but then I have to print my own out. On account of most of the creatures I use not being in the books. Minis are nice, but they take up a lot of room. Oh, and what do you do if you can't get what you want? [I can print out tokens, I can't make minis...]

I hope this is facetious.  >_>

And how does this draw my connection to PKMN?  I mean, I do play the games, but not the card game, and it has nothing to do with D&D save that once upon a time the card game was licensed in this country by WotC's Magic devision. 

If this is the best argument that can be made against the tokens now, the Future Releases board has lost its credibility entirely.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I hope this is facetious.  >_>

And how does this draw my connection to PKMN?  I mean, I do play the games, but not the card game, and it has nothing to do with D&D save that once upon a time the card game was licensed in this country by WotC's Magic devision. 

If this is the best argument that can be made against the tokens now, the Future Releases board has lost its credibility entirely.

Then how about this:  The tokens look and feel like a step backward.  The miniatures had "3D" aspects to them while the tokens... well, they just don't.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the classics and using a token base on occasion isn't a bad thing--They're replacing miniatures with both nothing and tokens.

Go out and grab a $300 graphics card from ATI or nVidia and you'll be bleeding out the ears at how disappointed you'd be that you can't play Dragon Age 2 with the most awesomest of graphics... just so that they can save a few bucks by going to a 2D platform.
Magazine: I HATE the idea of the magazine not being compiled monthly. I always make sure to donwload the magazine compilation so i can read it on my kindle. I like having all the articles together with a contents page so i can easily find the article i'm looking for.

Mini's: I loved the mini's when they first came out but i strated buying less and less of them when they changed format because their weren't as many good pc options in them, and the ones that were good were too hard to find because they were rares. I didn't like the change in how they boxed them either and the whole less for the same amount of money thing sucked. That being said i will never use the little cardboard picture discs, i think they are tacky and unimaginative and if i want to just use pictures of monsters i can print those my self for a lot cheaper than buying them.

I would be happy to see the players handbook line of minis come back but i want new sculpts, not repainted or slightly changed sculpts from previous sets. I would love to see a them released more as sets by race, like an elves and eladrin set with several classes reperesnted by male and female characnters, then dwarves and so on. I would pay more for those because they would make great elite or leader type bad guys too.

Concerning the Minitures...

Wizards made the mistake of changing the game (Miniatures, not D&D) with a second edition that broke up and changed the armies that was already built and had a resemblance to the yet unreleased 4th edition. This was made worse because of the delay of getting the past figures updated to the new rules, and the new price points for the figures (Less figures in box for the same price). When the sales lagged, the game was canceled. My thought is that the updating of the past figures was taking to much time and resources and 4th edition ended up differently than what was envisioned when the new rules had been made, making for inconsistencies between the mini game and the role playing game.

The Heroes line was made, and flopped. (10 bucks for three figures) They made a try, eventually, to the random packs, though with five figures instead of what came before. That is the latest try, and though I think they sold a fair amount, the lack of a mini game means the sales are solely for game players and collectors. I believe that it would never go up to the sales that the Minis game had before.

This is coupled with the cancellation of the Heroscape game, which could have been an alternate to the regular minis, the end of the minis line is a set back.

The future of minis isn't quite done, though, just in transition. I think the advent of unpainted figures is coming, like those in the Ravonloft game, grouped into bundles for monsters and races. This would bring down the cost and make for a reason to get the figures other than collecting or hoping for the right figures among the randoms.

Concerning Heroes of Shadow...

The change to hardcover is a good one, and I think allows for more material. The one "class" is still disappointing and I still don't hold any hope that anything for the Shadow Power Source will ever be released after this product. For now, we are getting a possible third build for the Assassin (Though it is unknown if it is a multi powered build like the second one) and a Vampire Class. The rest of the book features builds from other power sources and shadowy stuff within them. It will also have three races (previewed) and assumingly feats, items, and other goodies. Without the classes (save the one), though, it is still something I see myself passing on.

Concerning the lost products....

The not so subtle hint about DDi taking over some of this material is disappointing, but hopefully the new realization that it isn't Dragon or Dungeon magazine, just a slew of articles, will ramp up the quality of the material. Perhaps the books will be re-visioned for a future release.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Oh TSR, where art thou? You always put the customers ahead of profit or business plans...

So you weren't around for the Second Edition era, is what you're telling me. The sheer contempt Lorraine Williams and some of her underlings (e.g. their first netrep, whose name escapes me) had for their customers makes the present situation look like sweetness and light by comparison.

LONG AFTER THE FACT EDIT: I finally remembered the netrep's name, it was Rob Repp.

Jeff Heikkinen

I have permanently left these forums.

Bad moderation decisions were the last straw, but there were other factors too.

But if you see this and are into tabletop RPGs and/or Final Fantasy and similar JRPGs, why not check out my site at philosoraptorgames.com?

One thing puzzles me here. If the "lost" products are going to turn up on DDI, why wouldn't they just tell us that?

Right now there is a lot of negativity surrounding those three canceled books despite WotC repeatedly saying that the material will be made available in some form. They could take a significant bite out of that by simply saying that form will be as articles on DDI, if that's what it is. It's not like this would be a huge revelation - it's the obvious thing to do, and you need look no further than this thread to find people that are already more or less convinced this is what's going to happen.

It only makes sense for them not to have actually said that yet if they have something else in mind for that material. What that "something else" could be, I don't know. But it's the only way they could possibly think that silence on this point is of any benefit to themselves.

Jeff Heikkinen

I have permanently left these forums.

Bad moderation decisions were the last straw, but there were other factors too.

But if you see this and are into tabletop RPGs and/or Final Fantasy and similar JRPGs, why not check out my site at philosoraptorgames.com?

One thing puzzles me here. If the "lost" products are going to turn up on DDI, why wouldn't they just tell us that?

Mostly because they might not show up as DDI articles. They could show up in comic books, printed supplements, card sets (I don't meant to beat the OMG CCG! drum there, just that some of this stuff would work as cards, and as we have seen, Wizards is not afraid to try various card products out), crossover board games, the VT, directly in the Compendium, and so forth.

Fedosu, good blog post.

I love the guy flaming the token fan, WotCheese plastic minis are crap.  I guess I am older scool than you, but when these came out I just couldn't get past them being collectable toys ala MtG.  To hear people complain they got minis they didn't want is laughable, more so after all these years.  I will say it sucks that for all the fans of them that built huge collections ( again, mostly of the commons you never wanted in the first place ) to hear they have been discontinued.  Wasn't a fan, but my heart goes out to them.

Here's book v digital dilemma, as I see it.  Your good at making books - though the amount of errata might suggest otherwise but I sometimes suspect the errata is there to sell the digital.  Your bad at making digital stuff.  The first character builder was the only decent thing, then they scrapped it.  When the servers crashed upon the completion of the 4e announcement countdown they really should have rethought this.  Virtual tabletop?  That would have been hype when MMOs were text based games, but they still can't touch it with a 10' virtual polearm.  So do they allow the dust to settle (on themselves) and sell books and cater to the tabletopper that prefers a backpack full of game to a laptop full of game?  Or do they try to keep up with the likes of Blizzard and fail hard while losing the backpack tabletopper that is frustrated having to pay for fixes to books that were poorly written in the first place - the only explanation for all the fixes he has to pay for?

D&D was a brilliant idea a long time ago whose naming rights were bought by a company that had a brilliant card game idea who is in turn owned by a company who bought the brilliance that is Mr. Pototo Head.  I can attest to the last's brilliance because my kids still reach for it.  Recently I have seen a lot of brilliance in the gaming industry, the video gaming industry.  And then there is the reality that the next stroke of table top brilliance probably isn't going to have the D&D logo on it, even if some staffer happens to have it.

I have hope, though.  And I am still looking forward to getting together tonight to play D&D with my friends - 15th level Eberron campaign 4e/E.  I just think it's pretty obvious the folks who make the game I love don't know where they are going with it.

Mostly because they might not show up as DDI articles. They could show up in comic books, printed supplements, card sets (I don't meant to beat the OMG CCG! drum there, just that some of this stuff would work as cards, and as we have seen, Wizards is not afraid to try various card products out), crossover board games, the VT, directly in the Compendium, and so forth.

This is a good point. My own theory, though, is that this is a way of dragging out D&DI content for another year before either a new edition is launched or the plug is pulled.

The withdrawn books would likely by now be already written and could be published in print format as three products. As D&DI content, they have to amount to possibly 60 articles (an estimate, assuming 6 pages per article and 120 pages of publishable content per book). Based on what happened at the end of 3E, albeit the online content was already there and available for nothing, we seem to be seeing a similar dying off in the publication schedule here. This strategy would buy some time until the end of the edition or the cancellation of the brand. If there is a product still being published online then it allows the company to still take money from D&DI subscribers right up until the last moment.

It's just a theory but remember it's only a conspiracy theory if I'm wrong Smile
Things could be good... eventually... but it sounds like there may be some interesting experimental marketing going on.

Minis are cool, but tokens are effective, versatile, and cheaper.  It is hard to get the mini that perfectly represents "you" but it may be easier to find a token that does the job.  Plus, inventive use of tokens might make certain record-keeping tasks more managable, and that's a plus for my DMing.

It's obvious that Wizards has been experimenting with more integrated power cards with Gamma World, and personally, my players seem to want easy-to-handle cards to look through their powers.  I currently craft cards for them myself.

If books can come with tokens, battle mats, and tiles, then we might get a book with a deck of cards at some point.  Online content could include the purchase, download, or delivery of individual cards (as I could never bring myself to spend an extra $10 - 15 on a deck of cards for a particular class when I needed to save my money).

The Essentials Products (where and what are the rest of them?) are frankly clean designs and presentations for the game.  Although, once my players learned to play, they loved the complexities available.  The board games are basically watered-down, fast, versions of the main game, but they use more cards and tokens.

It sucks royally that cool books were pulled or pushed back.  I still want to smooth out the differences between the Essentials and the old Handbook.  I keep thinking there are going to be 6 more Essentials books.

If whatever they're doing works out... we may get more cool content on Insider and more interesting combinations of books and tools.
Concerning Heroes of Shadow...

The change to hardcover is a good one, and I think allows for more material.

As the article said, all they're doing is redoing the layout. They aren't going to be adding material.

Wizards of the Coast - FAIL!

I blame Hasbro.

I will buy the minis, I like them, they're interesting even if they're not always the best quality. I refuse to buy cardboard tokens from Wizards of the Coast to represent my characters and monsters.
Sign In to post comments