4x Journey to Nowhere
4x Celestial Purge
2x Indomitable Archangel
2x Kor Firewalker

Zerothofthelaw's list:

Lands:
Show

Inkmoth Nexus:
This card is cheap, evasive, and escapes sorcery speed mass removal. It is an artifact, so benefits from Tempered Steel and [c]Steel Overseer. It also keeps any counters from Ajani Goldmane. It does give poison, but its another threat, and another way to win.
Dread Statuary: If you can't get any Inkmoths, this is a good alternate card. More expensive, but bigger. No evasion, but bigger.
Plains Must have ten. At least! ;)

X CMC:
Show

Everflowing Chalice: Good alternate if you have no Mox Opals. Mana acceleration and metalcraft trigger. Also gets Glint Hawk out!
Chimeric Mass: Evades sorcery speed removal, and benefits from Tempered Steel. Helps get Glint Hawk out.

0 CMC:
Show

Memnite: 0 cost, 1/1 artifact. Power house all the way. Helps get Glint Hawk out.
Ornithopter: 0 cost, 0/2 flying artifact. Evasion and blocking for the win. Helps get Glint Hawk out.
Mox Opal: Critical power house of the deck. Gets you an extra mana for turn 1 Steel Overseer and turn 3 Ajani Goldmane. Generally want at least two if you can. Most decks don't run 4 because of the legendary rule.

1 CMC:
Show

Signal Pest: Seriously, this guy wins games. Its one of your 3 main sources of pump. Pseudo-flying, very cheap and easy to get out, and PUMP.
Glint Hawk: The Peck of Death. With all the 0/X CMC cards you run, its really easy to get this out. No benefit from Tempered Steel, but nevertheless, until we find a better 1-cost artifact creature, this one is in for all the marbles!

2 CMC:
Show

Phyrexian Revoker: Shuts down activated abilities of planeswalkers, creatures, etc. Figure out which is causing you the biggest trouble and let loose. It also is a beatstick with 2/1 stats. Good for boost.
Steel Overseer: One of your major sources of boost. He boosts himself as well. Makes for a convenient lightning bolt attractor too.
Divine Offering: Good for all the other artifacts that can threaten us. Usually best as a 2-of or in the side-deck.
Journey to Nowhere: One of the best creature removal cards in the game. Either in the side-deck, or as a 3-4 of in the main.

3 CMC:
Show

Etched Champion: This guy is a hero. He is the quarterback. Protection from all colors saves him from damage-sweeping(red), removal(black and white), and blocking(all colors). He gets damage through. He is unstoppable. With all the artifacts in this deck, we get his metalcraft going all the time.
Shimmer Myr: A semi-optional choice. This lets you do some surprise summonings, especially with memnites or ornithopters. Good for getting an opponent off-guard, and good stats too.
Tempered Steel: The pure core of the deck. This card boosts almost all of your creatures. Must-Have. Absolutely.
Master's Call: Adds more artifact-goodness, and at instant-speed!
Choking Fumes: Really good side-deck card for Goblins/red aggro.
Dispense Justice: An alternate to choking fumes. Happens to affect even shrouded creatures and protected creatures(like Emrakul... yeah thats right, Emrakul dies to this.) Also, indestructible.

4CMC:
Show

Ajani Goldmane: The best 4cmc you can put in this deck. Boosts your creatures, and gives you vigilance for more defending goodness. Do not use the +1 ability, only the -1 ability.
Hero of Bladehold: Absolute beater, and generates her own swarm. An additional source of boosts. She is a great recovery card for after a mass removal.
Bonehoard: This card is a pure power-house. Good in the side-deck, and be absolutely backbreaking on a glint hawk.

17 lands is about 4 too few, even with the Moxes.
I've always had 21 lands. Perhaps you misread?
There. I've added another land and -1d a Mox Opal bringing their count to 2. I think this is a good number. Also this is a bump because I'm tired of no one responding to my post for five days after many bump and deletes. Oh wait one person did and it seemed like they didn't even bother to actually look at my list. Am I doing this wrong? Am I in the wrong forum? There didn't seem to be an archetype for this at least on the front page. Please can someone clear this up for me? I used search. I even searched google and there wasn't a deck as put together as this one seems to me posted anywhere.
How are you doing with this?  I tried a similar deck at FNM twice.  Got creamed, but I was using Origin Spellbomb (weak) and Gold Myr (weak).  I had a lot of trouble dealing with Day of Judgment, but your list has Dread Statuary, which I didn't notice as an option until I had already abandoned the deck.  Glint Hawk Idol is also an interesting evasive choice.  I was maindecking 4x Mox Opal in an effort to get the turn 1 Steel Overseer and turn 2 Tempered Steel.  Interestingly, a turn 1 Tempered Steel is possible, though it commits your whole hand in a very dangerous race.
"I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Planeswalkers on fire off the Seachrome Coast of Mirrodin. All these spells will be cast like rice at a wedding. Time to duel."
I used a variant of your build tonight at FNM.

Against RDW, I went 2-0.  EDIT: This was important because the guy I beat is an arrogant jerk who wins a lot, and clearing him out of the way took him down a peg and set it up so that two of my good friends could take first and second place.

Against GG Eldrazi Ramp, I went 1-2, but I would have won that match had I understood my cards better.  In the first game, I got my opponent down to 1 life, but should have killed him.  I had been holding back on my attacks because I forgot that Ajani Goldmane gives vigilance.  I tapped my creatures to attack after giving the +1/+1 counters.  I held back attacking with a flyer that I should have used to attack with because I didn't want to tap it.  It wasn't until my next turn when I tapped to attack again after giving the +1/+1 counters that someone on the side pointed out that I couldn't tap them because they had vigilance.  The second game, I won with no problems, and in the third game, I had him on the ropes until he Summoning Trap**** Emrakul, the Aeons Torn for the second time that match. 

Against Kuldotha Goblins, we ended up with two long, slow top-deck battles both of which I lost.  I lost the first match partly because I stupidly skipped tapping an active Steel Overseer on a turn when I had the chance to do it.  The second one I should have won, but being not very good with remembering to gain life from Kor Firewalkers, I missed out on gaining about nine life (Silly me!).  Overall, what I'm saying is that the build is solid even though I'm not such a great player.  The games I lost were very close, and my losses were mostly caused by my mistakes rather than issues with the build of the deck.

This was my build:

4x Mox Opal
4x Memnite
4x Ornithopter
4x Chimeric Mass
4x Steel Overseer
4x Etched Champion
4x Ajani Goldmane
4x Tempered Steel
4x Kor Skyfisher
4x Glint Hawk
4x Dread Statuary
16x Plains

SB:
4x Glint Hawk Idol
4x Celestial Purge
3x Kor Firewalker
4x Brittle Effigy

After the official matches, I played a number of games against a different build of Kuldotha Goblins and lost about 80% of the games even with all seven of my anti-red sideboard cards in the deck.  Glint Hawk is really bad in this deck against red so I should have rotated it out but didn't.  (Live and learn).  Since I never felt any need to put in the Glint Hawk Idols, probably the next time I play this deck, I will sideboard Day of Judgment and Indomitable Archangel or possibly Darksteel Myr in place of them.

Etched Champion definitely belongs maindeck, and Brittle Effigy definitely doesn't at least in my meta.  When I needed the Brittle Effigys, I just took out Ajani Goldmane.  Ajani is a win-more card, but Etched Champion is a win card for this deck.

Your build helped me solve several problems I was experiencing with my own efforts to realize this deck.  I liked the Etched Champions but was maindecking Darksteel Myr because of the presence of Day of Judgment and Consume the Meek in my meta.  I had been using Origin Spellbomb, but Chimeric Mass and Dread Statuary solve this problem while enhancing metalcraft.  I see that Glint Hawk Idol could help with this too, but I didn't need it at all tonight.  In place of Dread Statuary, I had been using Mystifying Maze, which is really much less helpful for aggro, metalcraft, and avoidance of sweepers.  I was using Gold Myr in the hopes of landing a second-turn Indomitable Archangel, but it was a very weak card.  I'd had problems with Glint Hawk because I only had 12 zero-drops rather than 16, and it didn't mesh well with Tempered SteelKor Skyfisher had never been a consideration.  Ajani Goldmane just stitched it all together.  I don't think I owned Ajani at the time I abandoned this idea.

Here was my previous build:

4x Mox Opal
4x Memnite
4x Ornithopter
4x Origin Spellbomb
4x Steel Overseer
4x Darksteel Myr
4x Indomitable Archangel
4x Tempered Steel
4x Gold Myr
4x Glint Hawk
4x Mystifying Maze
16x Plains

As you can see, your build and the one I made from your build are clearly superior to what I did originally.  Thank you for posting your deck.  Even though I didn't place this week, I came REALLY close, and I'll become a better player out of it for noticing all of my mistakes that cost me games in really close matches. 
"I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Planeswalkers on fire off the Seachrome Coast of Mirrodin. All these spells will be cast like rice at a wedding. Time to duel."
First of all, thankyou for replying!

Etched Champion does belong maindeck, I agree with you 100% there. I am going to incorporate him into maindeck and move him out of the sideboard in some way. He is amazing and wins games by himself. (Probably dropping the Effigy, although I do wish I could keep 8x one drops)

I think four Mox Opals isn't needed, though. You'll get dead cards in your hand and this deck cannot have that since it must utilize everything so effieciently to win. Turn two Steel is a great play but so is turn two Overseer, turn two Skyfisher, etc. Man it would be broken if it wasn't Legendary.

I really appreciate that you tested my deck too! I feel that this could be a big archetype when Beseiged rolls around. All I think we lose is the skyfisher and we're probably getting some really good artifact two drops anyway...

At first I thought Origin Spellbomb was a good fit for the deck too. If it was Tap and sack with 'Plains: draw' It would be perfect. Turn one Memnite, Plains, Spellbomb, Mox Opal, tap spellbomb and tap opal to draw and put Myr into play. HOWEVER it's 1 and tap, which is very unfortunate. Without that easy draw it makes it fairly useless. Certainly not worth using over the course of two turns.

I too tried Gold Myr when I was running a more midgame deck that incorporated Indomitable Archangel. I opted to take the more early game version of the deck because it more frequently works against your opponent before they can stabilize.

Glint Hawk doesn't mesh well with tempered steel but a 2/2 flyer for a plains with really no drawback is too good to pass up. Plus we have a lack of one drops in the artifact creature department. There is what... Vector Asp?

This is yet another version of the deck I Just made in MWS.

18x Plains
4x Dread Statuary

4x Memnite
4x Ornithopter
4x Steel Overseer
4x Etched Champion
4x Glint Hawk

4x Tempered Steel
4x Glint Hawk Idol
4x Ajani Goldmane
2x Mox Opal
4x Chimeric Mass

Took out Skyfisher for Glint Hawk Idol. Giving up one toughness for another artifact that can be pumped by all pump in the deck. Both have protection from pyroclasm but Idol has protection from Day of Judgement as well. Switching these also helps activate metalcraft for the Etched Champion. The cost to activate the Idol only becomes a problem on turn 3 if you play tempered steel. Kind of unfortunate, but still worth a switch I think.

Took out Effigy for Etched Champion. While this makes the curve somewhat unbalanced (You may not have a turn one play utilizing your plains) The Champion is too good to pass up.

What cha think?
Glint Hawk Idol doesn't Belong here. I'd rather see Journey to Nowhere in his slot. you NEED removal.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Glint Hawk Idol doesn't Belong here. I'd rather see Journey to Nowhere in his slot. you NEED removal.

I sort of agree and disagree.  First of all, I don't agree that you need removal main deck.  I think that maindecking pure aggro and sideboarding lots of control is the way to go with this deck.  While I strongly considered Journey to Nowhere as sideboard removal, this deck hums with metalcraft, and so I think Brittle Effigy is a better choice.  While I understand the motivation for wanting to include Glint Hawk Idol, I don't like them.  They're just too slow.  This deck needs to fairly explode in the first three turns, and Glint Hawk Idol doesn't cut it.

Two things I need to defend here.  I think at least 3x Kor Skyfishers and 3x Glint Hawks are necessary for the main deck.  I also vehemently stand by 4x Mox Opals.  Here's why.  With 4 Moxes, the possibility of God draws is amazingly high, and you can aggressively Mulligan for them.  What I mean is that if you're hand is mediocre on the first draw, mulliganing down to six still has a high chance of giving a better hand, and there's really nothing wrong with redrawing down to five.  I won a game last night doing that.  Without four Moxes, God draws are very difficult.  There's nothing wrong with starting a seven-card hand with 2 Moxes provided the rest of the cards are good.

Here's a God draw:
Plains
Plains or Dread Statuary
Mox Opal
Memnite or Ornithopter or Chimeric Mass
Memnite or Ornithopter or Chimeric Mass
Steel Overseer
Tempered Steel

A turn 1 Steel Overseer is great, and a turn 2 Tempered Steel is awesome!  With 4x Moxes, that happens regularly (provided you Mulligan aggressively) while getting stuck with a dead Mox happens only occasionally, and if you happen to get stuck with three, you can abuse the Legend rule to get an extra mana once.

Here's why I defend the Glint Hawks and Kor Skyfishers.  Chimeric Mass dropped on turn 1 enables the Mox.  Unfortunately, that makes it a dead card unless you get a Tempered Steel out or you can put it back into your hand.  Glint Hawk and Kor Skyfisher both enable you to retrieve a dead Chimeric Mass from the battlefield to be recast with counters.  Kor Skyfisher additionally allows a kind of mana acceleration on turns when you have run out of lands.  If you have Glint Hawks in your hand and an active Mox Opal you can cast as many as you like for FREE!

Here's an asburd God draw:

2x Memnite
1x Mox Opal
4x Glint Hawk

Commit your whole hand on turn 1 and just go for it.  It could be over by turn 3 or probably by turn 4, especially if you went first.

Honestly, this deck is really strong.  The reason I didn't place last night is that I need to become a better player.  I seriously had a good shot at first place, but I made lots of mistakes.  In the first game against Kuldotha Goblins, forgetting to tap my Steel Overseer on the first turn it was active cost me a lot of board control in a game that quickly devolved into a lengthy stalemate which i eventually lost.  My friend who beat me with the Kuldotha Goblins is convinced that we would have had to play three games had I remembered to gain life from my Kor Firewalkers in the second game (I missed gaining 9 life!).  I know that I would have won the match against Eldrazi ramp had I realized that Ajani Goldmane gives my creatures vigilance.  I kept a 2/4 Ornithopter at home to help block and kill his Primeval Titan that I should have attacked with because I didn't want to tap it (He could not block flying).  Even after he Summoning Trapped into Emrakul, the Aeons Torn on my turn and attacked me with it the next, I survived the 15 points of damage and the Annihilator 6 (But I had to give up Ajani and all my lands).  I had an active Etched Champion and two pumped Ornithopters collectively able to deliver 8 points of damage that he had no way to block when he had only 6 life.  Unfortunately, he was able to hardcast Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and destroyed my best flyer.  On my next and last turn, I was only able to deliver 5 of the 6 points of damage I needed to win.  Had I attacked with the vigilant flyer two turns earlier, I would have won that game and the match.

A firend of mine had a suggestion that I'm taking seriously.  I want to replace a Glint Hawk and a Kor Skyfisher with Contagion Clasps.  It's removal, and there are a whole lot of counters in this deck.

I agree that this deck is insanely powerful. I am building the deck right now(Short two opals, Ornithopters of all things, one Ajani and Overseers) but I hve it proxied right now, and it does surprisingly well. The Pithing Beetle will really help in the side, and I'm actually tinkering with peace strider as a (hopefully) 4/4 or 5/5 that gives three life.Again, just tinkering.

The Opal count, at this point, should be however many you have. I personally am using three, as that's usually the magic number for legendaries, espescially legendary support.

I don't know about the Clasps, though. If this was more of a midrange build, It would be perfect, but you want to maximize the use of your mana, and 4 to proliferate doesn't seem like something a deck with 22 lands wants to do.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
Also, what do people think about using Inkmoth Nexus instead of Dread Statuary? It still gets all the pump form thngs, as +1/+1 counters still stay on, it has evasion, and hits as a 2/1 just by itsself, and the pump means it will kill VERY quickly.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Is the Nexus in the next set?

Agree about Idol, I played a few games in MWS and he was slow, Good sideboard card against removal though.

I see what you mean about Moxes. Also, I didnt really realize that essentially I am replacing two moxes from your list with two plains. So may as well run four moxes. I don't know about the clasps. I feel there is a LOT of pump in this deck already anyway. Also clasps are somewhat situational for their costly activation fee.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Runed Servitor is pretty bad considering you don't WANT your creatures to enter the graveyard, and it provides a chance for your opponent to draw into even more removal. Although draw would be nice for this deck. I would look into the 2W rebound spell.
Also, what do people think about using Inkmoth Nexus instead of Dread Statuary? It still gets all the pump form thngs, as +1/+1 counters still stay on, it has evasion, and hits as a 2/1 just by itsself, and the pump means it will kill VERY quickly.

Oh yes, Inkmoth Nexus is a very strong possibility.  I'm not sure it's superior to Dread Statuary because of the infect, but with Tempered Steel or an active Steel Overseer, it makes an amazing blocker, and with flying, we have more evasion, though for aggro, it has to kill by itself.  Also, it can much more easily help enable metalcraft than Dread Statuary.  It does create another tempting target for Tectonic Edge, though with the very low mana curve, that shouldn't be a problem.  I will most definitely be including some of them when they come out, but how many is best is yet to be determined.  I certainly don't want to use 4x of it and 4x of the Dread Statuary because of the WW needed for Tempered Steel unless some really good artifacts come out that warrant replacing the Glint Hawks and Kor Skyfishers.

+1 on thinking Runed Servitor is not a good idea, but feel free to try it out and let us know how letting your opponent draw an extra card goes.  Red will target that in a heartbeat.

Also, for the sideboard, I'm probably going to include 3x Day of Judgment.  That may seem to be contradictory to the purpose of my deck, but there's a lot of fast red in my meta, especially Mox Goblins, and if you play conservatively in the first few turns (i.e., holding back a couple of creatures), and then wipe the board after red has spent most of his hand, this deck can recover much faster than red can because of Chimeric Mass and the living lands and also because of the lack of need for any combinations like Kuldotha Rebirth and an artifact.  The strategy is to let red take a lot of my life while using up his hand and then making a devastating comeback.

I'm going to call my deck "Mirrodin Steelers."

I'm wondering if a Boros deck along these lines could be made competitive.  Here's a preliminary idea for "Boros Steelers":

4x Memnite
4x Ornithopter
4x Chimeric Mass
4x Mox Opal
4x Steel Overseer
4x Etched Champion
2x Tempered Steel
2x Ajani Goldmane
2x Koth of the Hammer
4x Kuldotha Rebirth
4x Galvanic Blast
2x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Arid Mesa
3x Inkmoth Nexus
3x Dread Statuary
5x Plains
5x Mountain
Creeping Corrosion was just spoiled (Shatterstorm in green).  Looks like GG aggro is gonna crush this deck making Day of Judgment pretty much a necessary SB card.
1st things 1st: Runed servitor is NOT a good card.I tried it out, and it's just not there. I'm just looking for another two drop, as aggro decks want options and a guarantee to have action on turns 1 2 and 3.

As for the Boros build, I'd be more tempted to run UW than RW. Blue has more support(I hear Trinket Mage into Opal/Zero drop into Glint Hawk/something off the MOx is good times.) It also gives us access to Counter magic for the green Shatterstorm.

As for the Shatterstorm, it will just reaffirm the importance of NOT OVEREXTENDING. Yes, a turn one Overseer is awesome, but you have to think on whether it's worth the risk. Some people are unclear on what overextending is. Overextending is when a player overcommits to a board or strategy. You don't NEED more than one Etched Champion. You don't NEED more than one Tempered Steel, although it's unlikely you'll ever lose both. You don't NEED more than one Steel Overseer. If you have multiples in hand, it means you partially or completely blank a sweeper. Keep the stuff in hand as insurance

The new one mana non-creature arti killspell will mean we're in more danger of a metalcraft blwout in the early turns, so be mindful of it. You start winning with this deck too much, and you can bet people will start siding for it.

Inkmoth Nexus+Tempered Steel=3/3 Flier that hits like a 6/3, and I think that's worth it. Also, I strongly suggest at least 21 lands.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Not overextending is definitely important.  I would still play a turn-1 Steel Overseer and then hold back the rest of my artifacts for a while.

I was expecting artifact hate, but I was not expecting a new version of Shatterstorm.  Fortunately, it's in green rather than red.  I'm not worried about the one-mana red card, Crush.  Its only targets are Mox Opal and Chimeric Mass.  I'm not too worried about either of those cards.  Losing one of them is better than losing a Memnite, Ornithopter, or Steel Overseer, and if the opponent put them into his deck, that's less room for Goblins.

You're right about winning too much.  The anti-artifact hate is going to be there, but fortunately Creeping Corrosion is a rare.  I don't think people are going to sideboard this for a while unless decks like this one intrude too far into the metagame, which I think is unlikely for the simple fact that such a large number of dangerous archetects that don't depend on artifacts are going to open up.

I count Mox Opal as a land.  With a deck that tops out at 4, 21 lands might be good, but I'm really comfortable with 20.  However, the introduction of Inkmoth Nexus might make one more plains desireable, possibly at the expense of a Chimeric Mass.
Ardent Recruit:
Mana Cost: W
1/1
Human Soldier

Metalcraft:
Ardent Recruit gets +2/+2 as long as you control 3 or more artifacts

What do people think? Definite Applications in Extended/casual, but do you think it's worth testing?
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Ardent Recruit:
Mana Cost: W
1/1
Human Soldier

Metalcraft:
Ardent Recruit gets +2/+2 as long as you control 3 or more artifacts

What do people think? Definite Applications in Extended/casual, but do you think it's worth testing?

Yes, I'd take it over Glint Hawk in a heartbeat.  Where did you see this one spoiled, and what's its frequency?

EDIT: Found it.  Great common for this deck.  When Kor Skyfisher rotates out, we already have an obvious replacement.
Woo hoo another one drop for us! Now I'm happy.

Edit just took a look at the spoiler. Every color except black has artifact hate Green being the most. Viridian Corrupter...

Ichor Wellspring looks really good in this case.

2: artifact - when it comes into play or leaves play draw a card.

Phyrexian Revoker

2: Artifact creature: 2/1 (i think) name a card, activated abilities can't be played of that card can't be played

looks like a good trick against multicolored opponents running fetch lands :-)

Signal Pest?

0/1 Artifact creature, when it attacks all other attacking creatures get +1/+0 until end of turn. Cannot be blocked by creatures without flying or reach.

Personally, I like this one. it helps with the ornithopters and such very early game. And since we're dropping on hand on turn 1 - something like Ornithopter, memnite, plains, Signal Pest, turn 2, attack with everything for four damage before they even have a chance to block. Really helps early game.

Edit: does he get the bonus as well when he attacks? Kinda looks like he doesn't...

Inkmoth Nexus has infect. I'm kind of on the fence. The the point of flying is to get through and put real damage in. This deck has to do that as fast as possible. Great in an infect deck, but here?

Last time around artifacts were broken with affinity and colors could barely control them. This time I feel it could be the opposite...
Ichor Wellspring is a BAD idea in this deck. Don't run it.

Revoker will be in the side to help deal with UB control/any deck with U and Jace.

Signal Pest...is a novel idea. I won't have time to test until the pre-release this saturday, where I'll be playing Mirran and hopefully picking up the last of the cards needed. If anyone wants to look into Signal pest, it might be worth it. And no, it does NOT get the pump.

Inkmoth Nexus has...blown me away with it's UTILITY. I have won my fair share of games by landing a steel and businessing with two nexi(is that the right pluralization?). It sends your opponent Off Kilter and has them scrambling for an answer. Here's a play-by-play of how a game went:

T1: I play Nexus, Mox and Thopter, activate Nexus off of itsself, and combo out two Hawks with my mox.
Opponent: Tapped Creeping Tar Pit and Pass:
T2: I play a plains, Play my overseer and swing for four.
Opponent: Darkslick Shores and pass
T3:I play another Nexus and swing with my Hawks. They each get Disfigured(lucky bastard) I play Tempered Steel and Pass:
Opponent: Swamp, plays Gatekeeper Kicked. I sac Thopter. End of turn I activate a Nexus off itsself and tap Overseer, adding a counter to it and overseer.
T4: I untap, tap Plains to activate Nexus, giving me metalcraft to activate Mox, activate other Nexus. Tap Overseer, swing with a 4/4 and 5/5 Flying infect artifact.
Opponent: Draw and concede.

The Nexi are cheap, efficent, capable of ending games, difficult to deal with, can be considered ANOTHER 0-drop artifact, and are insurance against a sweeper. I suggest everyone tries it out and sees if it works for them as well.

I myself have taken out the Masses to make room for two more Moxi. In the games i've tested the deck really isn't as consistent as I would like it to be. We have to make sure it isn't another hit-or-miss deck like Quest.

Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Ichor Wellspring is actually for red, most especially in conjunction with Kuldotha Rebirth.  I don't see it working well with this deck because we have no way to get it into the graveyard.

Signal Pest looks excellent.  He might be a great replacement for Ajani Goldmane.  It boosts the deck into a new possibility for a third-turn kill, but the danger of sweepers is really high.  If we go with the Ardent Recruit in place of the Glint Hawks, then probably one Chimeric Mass could go for a Signal pest instead.

Phyrexian Revoker will be a good SB card.  It shuts down planeswalkers.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Inkmoth Nexus is better than Dread Statuary.

JaketheLate, if your deck isn't consistent, then there's either something wrong with your build or you're not Mulliganing aggressively enough.  My deck runs smoothly.  Don't play a mediocre hand of seven cards as acceptable.  There's nothing wrong with Mulliganing down to six or even five cards.  For example, four lands, two Etched Champions, and an Ajani Goldmane is not a good starting hand for this deck.  I suspect part of the problem is that you removed Chimeric Mass  Keep them.  They're good for activating Mox Opal on turn 1 and for avoiding sweepers, and they bounce back into your hand with Glint Hawk and Kor Skyfisher.  I also suspect that you are still running more than 20 lands.  Try running my build and see what you like better, though you should replace Dread Statuary with Inkmoth Nexus and possibly keep two of the Dread Statuary as your build indicates.

Let's do a God-draw analysis limited by being able to have only one of each non-land card:

Turn 1:
1 - Land
2 - Mox Opal
3 - Memnite
4 - Ornithopter
5 - Kor Skyfisher
Return Mox Opal to your hand
2 - Mox Opal
6 - Signal Pest

Turn 2:
7 - Land
8 - Tempered Steel
Assuming no blockers available yet
Attack with 2/3 Signal Pest, 3/4 Ornithopter, 4/4 Memnite, and 3/3 Kor Skyfisher
That's 12 points of damage

Turn 3:
12 points again

What fun!

JaketheLate, if your deck isn't consistent, then there's either something wrong with your build or you're not Mulliganing aggressively enough.  My deck runs smoothly.  Don't play a mediocre hand of seven cards as acceptable.  There's nothing wrong with Mulliganing down to six or even five cards.  For example, four lands, two Etched Champions, and an Ajani Goldmane is not a good starting hand for this deck.  I suspect part of the problem is that you removed Chimeric Mass  Keep them.  They're good for activating Mox Opal on turn 1 and for avoiding sweepers, and they bounce back into your hand with Glint Hawk and Kor Skyfisher.  I also suspect that you are still running more than 20 lands.  Try running my build and see what you like better, though you should replace Dread Statuary with Inkmoth Nexus and possibly keep two of the Dread Statuary as your build indicates.

I think you're right. It's just so hard to mulligan a decent hand to try for a better one. I will say that this deck has that stupid ability to dig itsself out of holes that I like.

I'm dropping the statuarys for two Masses, and I'll try again.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
I agree that this deck topdecks well, which is why taking a Mulligan or two isn't bad.  The cards are mostly good in and of themselves, but the synergy is amazing too.

I'd keep the Statuarys and cut the plains to 14.  I'll be testing a build like that soon.

Regarding Ardent Recruit, this is what I think we can get away with by using it.  In the first game pre-sideboard, it's a great card.  Then the artifact hate comes out.  I might then be tempted to switch it with Kor Firewalker even if I'm not playing against red.  We can probably get away with a lot for a while until artifact decks like this become dominant enough to inspire the sideboarding of hate for them (if ever).

Red Hate:
Shatter
Crush
Burn
Pyroclasm
Slagstorm

Green Hate:
Naturalize
Nature's Claim
Back to Nature (against Tempered Steel)
Creeping Corrosion

White Hate:
Revoke Existence
Divine Offering
Day of Judgment

Black Hate:
Donsume the Meek
Doom Blade
Grasp of Darkness
Vendetta

Most of this stuff is stuff we're going to have to deal with anyway.  While Pyroclasm and especially Slagstorm represent serious threats to this deck, in my meta, none of the players even sideboard Pyroclasm because they want to keep their Goblin Guides in play for as long as possible (and apparently they like giving me land draws).  Slagstorm won't even be considered, though this has the potential of generating a serious burn-only deck.  Shatter and Crush are no big deal.  These are basically for surgically removing specific artifacts, but the deck is solid enough to not be dependent upon paticular artifacts.  I would say that Steel Overseer get killed about 80% of the time I drop him out before I can get him active.  No big deal.  It's a win-more card, but it's not needed to win.

Naturalize and Nature's Claim are already part of the metagame.  Some people sideboard them, and some don't.  Like Shatter and Crush it's just a card for a card.  Remeber to keep your metalcraft protected.  I've dropped an extra Chimeric Mass on the board just to make sure that my Etched Champion didn't lose protection from all colors due to a Lightning Bolt to my Memnite.  The really dangerous card is Creeping Corrosion, and I am thinking that Master's Call could be a great way to recover from such a blow, especially if Tempered Steel is on the board.  We're going to have to be extremely careful playing against mono-green aggro after the first game, but to be honest for the first few weeks, I'll probably still play fast aggro until I actually start to see the artifact sweeps happen.

We can sideboard Day of Judgment ourselves and couple it with Darksteel Myr, which makes a great Goblin blocker.

Consume the Meek is pretty dangerous to this deck, and the worst thing you can do against black is activate all of your dormant artifact creatures in an alpha strke when black has five mana open.  With cautious play, however, this deck is well defended against such an instant because lots of our "creatures" don't have to be creatures all the time.
I just meant Ichor Wellspring being good insurence against creeping corrosion type spells. You lose no card advantage in playing it, it helps with metalcraft while it's there, and should it be destroyed, another card. And one thing this deck doesn't have is draw, which would be good for it. It's at least something to be considered.

The Nexus is good in achieving easy activation of metalcraft for other cards. It can also be looked at as an alternative win condition I suppose. I just don't like giving my opponent options. Attack with 4/4 memnite and 3/3 Nexus. They block Memnite knowing the damage from Nexus won't even count considering they have 10 poison counters remaining (or vice versa). I'd just rather it be 7 damage to the face, you know? I will still be running it.

Phyrexian Revoker is amazing for planeswalkers, I didn't even think of that. Maybe even helps slow green down a bit if you target a treespeaker.

I wouldn't cut Ajani. I'd rather keep him and run Signal Pest as well. In fact maybe consider not running Ardent Recruit but run the Pest instead. I think steering clear of Metalcraft is a good thing to do because it drives the deck to be less situational. Etched Champ still pwns though. Ajani is too amazing considering he usually comes out turn three, and has too many synergies with Steel Overseer, flyers, vigilence, Etc.
I'm rethinking Ichor Wellspring, but I'm still not sold on it.  If we make a Boros Steelers deck, then it's an obvious keep.

Phyrexian Revoker is necessary for SB.

Inkmoth Nexus is just awesome.  it would be more awesome sans infect, but it gives us an alternate win condition, and they can much more easily enhance metalcraft than Dread Statuary.

Ardent Recruit is a tossup with Glint Hawk.  They are both awesome, and both have significant weaknesses.  The recruit is less vulnerable, and potentially more powerful.  The Hawk has evasion, which counts for a lot.
the more i think about this deck, the more i think that esper is the way to go, check out this list ive come up with (yes it has spoiled cards in it)

4 signal pest
4 memnite
4 ornathopter
4 glint hawk
4 tempered steel
4 steel overseer
3 mox opal
3 tezzeret agent of bolas
3 chimeric mass
3 trinket mage
2 brittle iffigy

4 contested warzone
2 dread statuary
4 darkslick shores
4 seacrome coast
4 marsh flats
2 planes
2 swamp

contested warzone+ signal pest= win,

being able to turn your mox opal/ brittle iffegy into a 5/5 artafact is just shinanagins, and the dig is very nice as well  5/5 signal pest...yes please?

deck lacks removal but speeds out just as fast if not faster then elves (the other deck that has next to no removal but still wins alot.)

i wont make a sideboard till i see the rest of the spoiler, but im planning on rocking this deck.
Oldschool Boros Landfall---r.i.p sold for rent. zero hour red
Contested Warzone is one of the worst cards in the set.

Also, it's terrible to run it in a deck that wants three colours.
What do you guys think about Shimer Myr, Piston Sledge, Myr Sire? Mirrorworks looks cool but expensive. Gust Skimmer if we run blue.

I can imagine it would be cool drawing with blue cards the first two turns, dropping Shimer Myr on turn three (on their turn) then dropping a bunch of 0cc dudes, then on your next turn drop tempered steel and swing out of nowhere.

I can't go into great detail right now because I've gotta go to work.
The surprise attack might work a couple of times, but dropping out artifacts on turn 1 is often necessary for acceleration of the Mox Opal with this deck.  Definitely, it would be fun to try this in casual play, but for a highly competitive deck, I don't see Shimmer Myr playing a signficant enough role with the rest of the cards.
God draw: 8 cards

Turn 1:
Land
Mox Opal
Memnite
Memnite
Signal Pest
Signal Pest

Turn 2:
Land
Tempered Steel
Attack for 14 points of damage.
Red Version God Draw: 8 cards

Turn 1:
Mountain
Mox Opal
Memnite
Signal Pest
Signal Pest

Turn 2:
Mountain
Sacrifice Mox Opal to Kuldotha Rebirth
Goblin Bushwhacker
Attack for 24 points of damage.

A turn-2 kill will be possible in Standard.
Er... if you wanna talk early turn kills... a 1 turn kill is technically possible in Standard...

Island, Tome Scour 4 Vengevines off the top of your deck, Memnite Memnite, 4 Vengevines come back, Mox Opal, Swing for 16, Galvanic Blast for 4.

Though of course, your god hand is a bit more likely than mine.

Isn't Magical Christmas Land fun!?
Right, but the Tome Scour/Vengevine thing is ludicrously unlikely.  While the turn-2 kill is highly unlikely, what it shows is that turn-3 kills are much less unlikely, and turn-4 kills should be pretty easy with certain simple cards.  The idea is getting out enough aggro to kill before that turn-4 sweeper blows up your strategy.  If you look at the cards for these setups, you can see that while it probably isn't going to come together immediately, there's a high likelihood of things coming together sooner rather than later.  The Tome Scour/Vengevine thing is an almost certain miss, and a partial hit isn't going to help very much.  A partial hit with white or red artifact aggro is a very good thing here.

Here's a reasonable hand:
Plains
Ornithopter
Mox Opal
Signal Pest
Tempered Steel
Glint Hawk
Aven Skyfisher

I would Keep this hand.  Maybe I topdeck the second land I need.  Maybe I don't.  It's still a good opening hand.

Turn 1:
Plains
Mox Opal
Signal Pest
Ornithopter
Glint Hawk

Turn 2:
Let's say you don't draw a land.
Attack for 4 points of flying damage.
Aven Skyfisher to bounce Glint Hawk
Replay Glint Hawk (untapped) and bounce Mox Opal.
Replay Mox Opal (untapped).

Turn 3:
Let's say you do topdeck a land this time.
Tempered Steel
Attack for 11 points of damage.

What I'm really saying is that Signal Pest speeds up aggro just enough to really make it outpace control.

By the way, I'm really liking the idea of including Myr Sire for this deck.  What a great blocker!
Well, I'm sold on Signal Pest. Just got done with some late testing, and he is nuts Just the fact that he has Pseudo-flying and lets your Thopters get in is strong. He's a one-drop and also turns on Metalcraft. He's allowed blisteringly fast kills, and in my rounds turn three kills aren't all that odd. I just wish there was some card draw.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Signal Pest is a Universal Aggro Accelerator, and I while some people are noticing this card, I think it's going to be a few weeks before most of my playgroup notices just how dangerous it is.  With that in mind, I'm seriously considering a Boros build for my artifact aggro deck, though with the sketchy mana fixing, that's a tough call to make.

Turn three, huh?  The thing is, among Chimeric Mass, Dread Statuary, Inkmoth Nexus, Myr Sire, and Glint Hawk Idol, we have LOADS of options that deal with sweepers.  The only real threat to this deck is Creeping Corrosion.

If turn-3 kills aren't that odd, then I'm thinking there's something better to do with the slot for Ajani Goldmane.  He's cool and all, but I think he might be overkill for a mid to late game that's probably not going to happen.

My deck gets crushed by Mox Goblins so I'm thinking that Choking Fumes is a superb sideboard card.

Here's where I'm at (mentally) with the mono-white build:

4x Mox Opal
4x Memnite
4x Ornithopter
4x Chimeric Mass
4x Signal Pest
4x Myr Sire
4x Steel Overseer
4x Etched Champion
4x Glint Hawk
4x Tempered Steel
4x Inkmoth Nexus
16x Plains

Sideboard:
4x Choking Fumes
4x Kor Firewalker
4x Glint Hawk Idol (or Maybe Tectonic Edge)
3x Celestial Purge

Other suggestions welcome.

EDIT: I also love the name, concept, flavor, and picture for Signal Pest.
I like it. I like it alot. I've also dropped Ajani from my lists, as he's just too slow. I miss the pump, but this deck is really streamlined. How have the Myr Sires been working out? Also, I'd rather have four Phyrexian Revoker than four Glint Hawk Idol in the side. Choking fumes is a winner, though.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
I like it. I like it alot. I've also dropped Ajani from my lists, as he's just too slow. I miss the pump, but this deck is really streamlined. How have the Myr Sires been working out? Also, I'd rather have four Phyrexian Revoker than four Glint Hawk Idol in the side. Choking fumes is a winner, though.

I haven't actually played this build.  It's just mental exercise for before MBS comes out.  I have a very limited playgroup so getting together to test is just difficult.  However, I think that Myr Sire is overall the weakest card, but it's maindeck defense against removal and also for blocking faster aggro like Goblins.

I agree that Pithing Needle on a Stick needs to replace Glint Hawk Idol.  I think I'll also replace Celestial Purge with Journey to Nowhere.  With all of the flying, I don't think I need the instant to handle Koth of the Hammer, though last week taking out a Mountain and then Koth with Celestial Purge was really fun and enabled me to go 2-0 against an arrogant jerk playing RDW.  Phyrexian Revoker could shut Koth down too, though not as reliably.  While I previously felt that Brittle Effigy was better than Journey because it enhanced metalcraft, either I don't get 5 mana to cast and then activate it on the same turn, or it gets destroyed before I can use it.

Ajani's pump isn't very important when I can replace him with Signal Pest.  Yes, the vigilance is cool, but if I have to use his pump ability twice, then something definitely went wrong.  Even worse, Ajani can't attack.  At first, as people are adapting to the new meta, this deck has to be a furious race to inflict those critical hits ASAP.  I expect red to start maindecking Pyroclasm.  The beauty of this deck is that if we want, we can just play a Signal Pest on turn 1 and then drop an army on turn 2 buffered against that kind of removal with Tempered Steel.

Control is in for a rude awakening for a while.  Aggro is just gonna get too fast. 

In aggro-aggro matchups, we'll be racing Elves, Goblins, Vampires, and Knights.  I don't see Vampires getting any stronger.  Goblins are a nightmare for my deck, which is why I'm excited about Choking Fumes.  As for Knights...the evasion seems like it's gonna be a major deal there.  The same for Elves.  Even though they'll be getting a nice boost from Thrun, the Last Troll, all that tapping out for mana and all that evasion is going to put a major dent in Elf strategy.

As for combo, Mono-green Eldrazi Ramp is just too slow to deal with this deck.  Valakut can be this fast, but a God draw is needed.  In our case, superb draws are much more likely than they are with any combo deck because of the tight synergy.  Of course, there are a whole lot of interesting combo cards coming out in MBS, and it's only a matter of time before a few people break some of those cards.

I haven't actually played this build.  It's just mental exercise for before MBS comes out.  I have a very limited playgroup so getting together to test is just difficult.  However, I think that Myr Sire is overall the weakest card, but it's maindeck defense against removal and also for blocking faster aggro like Goblins.

Well, I DO have a large playgroup, so I'll give him a try. But if we need another 2 drop artifact, I vote for Servitor on the grounds that he's a bear, and when possible we need basic card quality. 

I agree that Pithing Needle on a Stick needs to replace Glint Hawk Idol.  I think I'll also replace Celestial Purge with Journey to Nowhere.  With all of the flying, I don't think I need the instant to handle Koth of the Hammer, though last week taking out a Mountain and then Koth with Celestial Purge was really fun and enabled me to go 2-0 against an arrogant jerk playing RDW.  Phyrexian Revoker could shut Koth down too, though not as reliably.  While I previously felt that Brittle Effigy was better than Journey because it enhanced metalcraft, either I don't get 5 mana to cast and then activate it on the same turn, or it gets destroyed before I can use it.

Well, if all this deck need to worry about is Red and Black, and Gravy **** IS black, than purges might be too fast.

Ajani's pump isn't very important when I can replace him with Signal Pest.  Yes, the vigilance is cool, but if I have to use his pump ability twice, then something definitely went wrong.  Even worse, Ajani can't attack.  At first, as people are adapting to the new meta, this deck has to be a furious race to inflict those critical hits ASAP.  I expect red to start maindecking Pyroclasm.  The beauty of this deck is that if we want, we can just play a Signal Pest on turn 1 and then drop an army on turn 2 buffered against that kind of removal with Tempered Steel.

I agree.

In aggro-aggro matchups, we'll be racing Elves, Goblins, Vampires, and Knights.  I don't see Vampires getting any stronger.  Goblins are a nightmare for my deck, which is why I'm excited about Choking Fumes.  As for Knights...the evasion seems like it's gonna be a major deal there.  The same for Elves.  Even though they'll be getting a nice boost from Thrun, the Last Troll, all that tapping out for mana and all that evasion is going to put a major dent in Elf strategy.

Goblins has the potential to outrace, but as you said, a well placed Fumes will put an end to it. The deck I'm actually worried about is Knights(the other deck I'm working heavily on in the forums). The more I play around with it, the better it gets, the more I realize that, like I talked about earlier, they have better raw creature quality. Almost card for card their creatures are better than ours. Whereas our deck NEEDS a Tempered Steel or Steel Overseer to really perform, the Knights deck can draw neither pump spell and STILL curve out and beat us into submission. It's why I love Signal Pest, because it acts as a 1 drop lord, and because nobody would waste removal on it.

As for combo, Mono-green Eldrazi Ramp is just too slow to deal with this deck.  Valakut can be this fast, but a God draw is needed.  In our case, superb draws are much more likely than they are with any combo deck because of the tight synergy.  Of course, there are a whole lot of interesting combo cards coming out in MBS, and it's only a matter of time before a few people break some of those cards.

I am also working on a RG control deck based around Liquimetal Coating. It will eat this deck up as most of it's spells can kill our entire deck.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote: