The death of Dragon/Dungeon PDF's

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm sad to say that what was predicted has come to pass:

www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

From here on in, Dragon/Dungeon will be online viewing only. No compiled PDF's.

I'm pretty pissed about this one. I liked having the downloads. I'm not buying the line that people weren't downloading them.

Thoughts?
I cant say I am surprised in the least with this and I happen to recall several people telling me I was wrong that this would happen.

"Finally, I wanted to let you know that we’re making a change to the way we handle D&D Insider content. Subscriber data informs us that the vast majority of you consume our articles individually, when they are posted, as opposed to downloading the monthly compilations. So, starting this month, we’re just providing the articles. There won’t be any more monthly downloadable compilations."

The defense of having articles late and missing their posted day was that we werent paying for updates during the month those were previews. What we were really paying for is the end of the month publication. So where does this stand with the new schedule of not giving a set date for articles. Its really coming down to "meh we'll get the articles out whenever. people are focused on the VT they wont care".

Its painfully obvious that its another move to block content from someone who turned off their subscription. 
Bill is going to touch on that in his next Ampersand. After that I'm sure there will still be some questions and comments - I'm already trying to get ahead of those by tracking down what answers I can. We'll be able to have a discussion about it once the Ampersand hits and hopefully I can make sure we get everything covered.

Trevor,

But I am rather sad to see Dragon & Dungeon Magazine compilation dying out to instead have bunch of dissociated Dragon & Dungeon articles weekly. Cry 

Why killing the Magazine format because people read then on a daily basis ? Sure we consume them as you feed us, we are eager to see those articles and comment on for possible Erratas etc...

Now, it won't feel like a Magazine anymore...

Please continue monthly Magazine compilations and archiving. Please keep supporting PDF format

Finally, I wanted to let you know that we’re making a change to the way we handle D&D Insider content. Subscriber data informs us that the vast majority of you consume our articles individually, when they are posted, as opposed to downloading the monthly compilations. So, starting this month, we’re just providing the articles. There won’t be any more monthly downloadable compilations. This is not a reduction in content, just a clarification of presentation and putting the emphasis where the majority of you are using it. Corrections and updates to articles which used to appear only in the compilations will now be made to the individual articles a few weeks after the original posting.
I think they might have been missing the point about folks not downloading the compilations. 

My normal practice has been to download each article and read it as it comes out.  At the end of the month, I download the compiled issue and delete all of the individual files so that I have fewer files to search through in case I want to find something in a back issue (and Adobe Acrobat does have a very nice Search feature if you are looking for a particular word or phrase in an entire directory of PDF files).

The only reason I can think of for me not to download the entire compiled issue would be if I found the articles that month so disappointng that I saw no point in keeping up with the magazine any more.  For me, that has not happened yet.

I guess another reason not to download the magazine would be if you have Internet access but not your own computer -- but I guess the move from the off-line Character Builder to the online only model shows which approach they are catering to.

At least we can still download the articles to our personal computers -- I will be really annoyed when we can no longer do that.
I'm sad to say that what was predicted has come to pass:

www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

From here on in, Dragon/Dungeon will be online viewing only. No compiled PDF's.

I'm pretty pissed about this one. I liked having the downloads. I'm not buying the line that people weren't downloading them.

Thoughts?

There is nowhere in that that says they are getting rid of downloadable articles, just the compiled issues.  Which is still an incredibly crappy and idiotic move, but it's not as bad as online only.
My normal practice has been to download each article and read it as it comes out.  At the end of the month, I download the compiled issue and delete all of the individual files so that I have fewer files to search through in case I want to find something in a back issue (and Adobe Acrobat does have a very nice Search feature if you are looking for a particular word or phrase in an entire directory of PDF files).

That"s what i was doing too.

I think the reason for killing compilations was to make pirating entire issues harder. What with the content from cancelled books being probably moved to the magazines they want to make piracy as hard as possible.
I will say that I consume the articles as they come out, but I also download the compiled version.  The compiled version allows me to see any eratta that came out.

Now?  More folders for indivdual articles, and I may not get the eratta'd version of the article.

Either that, or I have to compile them into a single PDF, but that wastes my time to do so.

So far, with all the cancelled products, and the new format for the magazines, I might not re-subscribe to DDi.  Looking at the upcoming products, I don't see very many D&D products that I want to buy.
If they won't compile the articles into a single PDF, can they at least group the revised/edited articles for a month into a single zipped download for people who want to make sure they don't miss an edited version and want to keep things somewhat organized?

I can see why they want to cut down on piracy and the people subscribing for 1-2 months a year to try and snag everything on backlog, but still piss off the player base enough and people will jsut say forget the entire thing and walk away.
That's it.  This is the straw that broke the camel's back.  I loved the compiled issues and that's how I read the articles.  At this point I don't think this is some anti-piracy move or a cash grab - they're just being lazy.
Noooooooooo!!

The PDF's a least felt like a magazine (especially on my new IPad) and they were easier to search and store that the the individual Articles than the Website.
I think WOTC has blundered yet again...
and the people subscribing for 1-2 months a year to try and snag everything on backlog,

I don't even understand why anyone would consider this a problem.  I mean, if I went to another magazine producer and said I'd be willing to pay more than normal for this months copy if I can get a copy of the backlog too why would they say no?  It's not like the backlog is actively producing revenue anyway.  I could understand differing opinions over price point, but if it's not offered at all then these people aren't going to purchase anything.
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
Nobody said it wasn't a stupid idea.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Yes this is a bad decision.  I'm currently awaiting word if Wizards will refund the rest of my DDI subscription and cancel it.  I'm done.  

I was very disappointed when they took the rights away from Paizo.  I don't like reading magazines at a desk on a computer, laptop, small screen smartphone, or shelling out hundreds of dollars for a tablet computer.  I was waiting for tablets to drop waayyyy down in price so I can enjoy the magazines they way I wanted; I like reading magazines in my recliner or stretched on the couch..etc.

Like Save-vs-DM this too is the straw that broke the camel's back.

I won't even re-up if they back-pedal on the compilations.  I'm done with DDI.

Only way I will now re-up for Dragon or Dungeon is if it back in physical print. Either by WotC, Paizo, or whoever. 

I wonder.....This seams to have the stink of Hasbro all over it and not necessarily WotC.
I'm not sure this is good or bad.

But, I have a simple request:

Please build a better list/database for the articles. Please make it easy for me to find the articles I want. Please, please, please make it better than the list of articles you have now. Give me filters, something.... 
Add me to the 'not pleased' group, I know that I personally having to save them into a single folder for the month instead of just saving a single PDF at the end it doesn't change much but this is just lazy and annoying.
Eh, no huge loss for me.  Means a little extra work in re-downloading the updated articles, but over all I wasn't getting the compiled issues anyway.

I believe it's possible (if you have a full verson of Adobe Acrobat, not sure about other readers) to merge separate .pdf files.  So, if you really like to just have the one large file to search through, it's still possible to do it on your own to condense the number of files you have.
hate this decision
hate this decision

+1

Less value for the same money.

I bet the subscription price doubles when they release the VT. At that point I'll be done with D&D and move to MMOs or some other RPG...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
and the people subscribing for 1-2 months a year to try and snag everything on backlog,

I don't even understand why anyone would consider this a problem.  I mean, if I went to another magazine producer and said I'd be willing to pay more than normal for this months copy if I can get a copy of the backlog too why would they say no?  It's not like the backlog is actively producing revenue anyway.  I could understand differing opinions over price point, but if it's not offered at all then these people aren't going to purchase anything.

Oh so you think it is a good idea for a magazine company to say instead of paying for a year's subscription you can pay for 2 months out of the year and still get EVERYTHING that someone who paid for a full year would get?

Now what you are refering to is if it was pay for two months and get access to the articles from 2 months of your choosing, which is what dealing with backlog stuff would be for paperback comics... that I would have no issue with as then your are paying specifically for what you are going for.

That is quite different from the problem I am talking about.

What I am refering to is someone who after 5 months signs up for a month and then downloads everything for the current month and the previous 5 months (without paying ANYTHING for the earlier content, which is a BIG difference from what your saying.)

You may not see an issue with it, but the problem is if everyone did that then the revenue WotC brings is is reduced by a factor of 6, or more. You don't see a problem, but to WotC it means they would be loosing around 83% of their revenue as at any time they would have maybe one sixth of the subscriber base they have now.

Oh so you think it is a good idea for a magazine company to say instead of paying for a year's subscription you can pay for 2 months out of the year and still get EVERYTHING that someone who paid for a full year would get?

Now what you are refering to is if it was pay for two months and get access to the articles from 2 months of your choosing, which is what dealing with backlog stuff would be for paperback comics... that I would have no issue with as then your are paying specifically for what you are going for.

What I am refering to is someone who after 5 months signs up for a month and then downloads everything for the current month and the previous 5 months (without paying ANYTHING for the earlier content, which is a BIG difference from what your saying.)

You may not see an issue with it, but the problem is if everyone did that then the revenue WotC brings is is reduced by a factor of 6, or more. You don't see a problem, but to WotC it means they would be loosing around 83% of their revenue as at any time they would have maybe one sixth of the subscriber base they have now.

They may see it as losing 83% of their revenue, but in reality they are gaining 17% because the people that do this are not going to subscribe long term. Instead of getting that 17% they get 0%. Same with pirates, 99% of them will not subscribe if they lose easy access. They just aren't going to do it.
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I never downloaded the compiled issues.  I really never saw the point.  Getting the individual articles is just fine.
I think it's crap that they got rid of the compiled issues. Now we don't know when the articles will be updated.

This just reeks of laziness and not being able to meet the production schedule they set for themselves.

No more end of the month  compilations means we have to wait up to 3 weeks longer to be sure we have updated articles. When is stuff official to use now?
Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg
This decision ticks me off too.  I want them to come up with a better way.  And I get that people were "cheating" by subscribing only one month and then skipping several to get the content (and the updated Character Builder).  I get that problem.  It pisses me off too, as I've paid for the subscription.  But I don't get why *I* should have a reduction in services provided because of those people.  And that's what I feel is driving this.

*sigh*  RIP Dungeon and Dragon.  I don't think you'll survive this one.

edit - for the record, I'm referring to the magazines, not the game.  People are still playing 1e, so I have no doubt the game will survive for a long time.

They may see it as losing 83% of their revenue, but in reality they are gaining 17% because the people that do this are not going to subscribe long term. Instead of getting that 17% they get 0%. Same with pirates, 99% of them will not subscribe if they lose easy access. They just aren't going to do it.

I concur. We have a group of about 20 active D&D players around here and I am the only one who actually buys books and stuff. They all pirated their Character Builders and when WotC went to the unfortunate OCB model, still none of them subscribed to DDI. Instead I have seen a waning interest in D&D as a whole after the summer. The correct way to fight piracy is with carrots, not sticks.

Can you explain to me what circumstances the Dragon and Dungeon backlog would hold any value except for the people who subscribe a few times a year specifically for that?  It would seem to me that full access to the backlog is feature, not a loophole.  With the rest of the DDI suite as online only tools, isn't the backlog the only reason to purchase the more expensive monthly subscription?  If they wanted to sell the articles ala carte I'm sure it would garner enough interest to be worthwhile.  However, I can't see anyone being willing to pay $10 for each month in the backlog just to be able to read the articles they've already published.  When you can get year's worth of the average magazine (printed and mailed!) for $20 or less, why would anyone consider 12 issues of Dragon and 12 issues of Dungeon to be worth $120 or even $71?
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
it might help to know that subscribers of Dragon and Dungeon magazine paid approximately $35 for each magazine for a yearly subscription.  I confess I don't remember the exact numbers, but they were in the ballpark of $70 for the two together.
it might help to know that subscribers of Dragon and Dungeon magazine paid approximately $35 for each magazine for a yearly subscription.  I confess I don't remember the exact numbers, but they were in the ballpark of $70 for the two together.

I remember it being much cheaper than that...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

it really wasn't.  Dragon cover price was about $7.  You got it subscription about half price for somewhere between $35 and $40 a year.  So for both mags you were paying about $70.

Why do we even continue to call them magazines? Sunce we no longer actually have the periodical that makes the collection a magazine perhaps we should just start call dungeon and dragon what they now are.

Blogs.
Why do we even continue to call them magazines? Sunce we no longer actually have the periodical that makes the collection a magazine perhaps we should just start call dungeon and dragon what they now are.

Blogs.

Your right we'll call them fluff blogs.

when they get rid of the PDF format and go to images or whatever we can do even better...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Not that it matters, but if anyone at WotC is keeping score, this is the last straw for me as well.
My account ends on Monday. And at this point I'm happy to let it end.

Will still play D&D without anymore purchases from WotC until such time as D&D is not owned by WotC or something drastically changes. I've got plenty of content and, what's that word...imagination, to play for years to come.

finé.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
Not that it matters, but if anyone at WotC is keeping score, this is the last straw for me as well.
My account ends on Monday. And at this point I'm happy to let it end.

Will still play D&D without anymore purchases from WotC until such time as D&D is not owned by WotC or something drastically changes. I've got plenty of content and, what's that word...imagination, to play for years to come.

finé.

Ee-mag-en-a-shawn... Hmmm what an interesting concept. We should introduce WotC to it...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

I appreciate that, because I wasn't aware of that.  However, a couple points:  The move to digital publishing brings a reduction in production costs that market forces typically dictate will be passed down to the customer.  Also, $35/year would be within the upper range for a magazine subscription, but would in many cases get you both a printed copy as well as online access.  Some magazines even offer their older articles online for free, for example Time and National Geographic.  Not that I would suggest that approach is feasible for Wotc.  One more thing, to sell something ala carte would imply that you're offering at a reduced price compared to the entire package.
I just cancelled my DDI subscription.  My subscription runs out 01/27/11.  I don't plan to renew until DDI is fixed:  return of Dungeon and Dragon full magazine PDF files, OCB is just as good as or better than the old CCB, and Monster Builder is fixed, updated and maintained.  Until then, BUH-BYE.  Don't ever give customers less than what they have now.
Well this isn't sitting well with me.  It's a reduction of services.  I don't want to go online every time I want to check an important article for my game.

I made a vow that WotC's behavior over the next year would dictate whether I kept my D&Di subscription.  They won a lot of favor with me over how neat and tidy essentials was, and although the CB lost functionality as a program, being able to use it on any OS that runs silverlight was a huge boon.

Two steps forward, two steps back.
Well this isn't sitting well with me.  It's a reduction of services.  I don't want to go online every time I want to check an important article for my game.

I made a vow that WotC's behavior over the next year would dictate whether I kept my D&Di subscription.  They won a lot of favor with me over how neat and tidy essentials was, and although the CB lost functionality as a program, being able to use it on any OS that runs silverlight was a huge boon.

Two steps forward, two steps back.

More like 1 step forward and three steps back. I don't call fragmenting the customer base a step forward...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Basically what I see as the issue is that with these changes, most of the people that are currently subscribing that would not be lost due to the low quality of the garbage being passed as the average article would be able to stop subscribing year around and only pay for a month to get every article they missed that they find is worth downloading.

I think the temporary access to articles is a horrible model. They should use you pay for subscribing to DDI for the 'current month' you always get to access the articles of that month and can use the online tools during that month. If someone wanted access to a months worth of articles from a month that they didn't subscribe during they would pay a fee (which would be less than the fee for the current month as this fee would NOT cover the price for access to the online tools) and permanently get access to the articles of that month. A side effect of this would be that people not wanting to pay for the online tools, which aren't as good as they used to be, can pay less over a year to get articles without paying a cent for the online tools they may not want. (Frankly the old character builder kicks the online character builder's butt so bad it isn't funny especially when you can add new content in via house rule additions which was how I handled stuff for Dark Sun and feats and equipment not yet added to the old character builder, and the new compendium is a bit more finicky than the old one with doing strange things like changing settings on you when you run a search.) After all an article's value should not change over time assuming it isn't rendered obsolete due to errata and new material making it useless. But ya people wanting only the dragon and dungeon articles shouldn't have to pay more than what it would cost to get a years worth of those articles in paperback. (Which is far less than a year's subscription to DDI but it would lack the online stuff.)

To avoid loosing a lot of people and if someone can tell me how being reduced to 17% revenue if the average person still willing to subscribe to even 2 months out of every 12 is more revenue to get a years worth of content than the 100% revenue they were getting before WotC decided to be beyond lazy and make these changes please explain it to me since I don't know what sort of math allows for 100% when you loose 83% magically grows to 117% of the original 100% instead of dropping to only the remaining 17%. (Although with the drop in average article quality, people even willing to want DDI articles that 17% may as well be 0% but that is another issue.)

Even then none of these changes are reducing people's ability to pirate the articles, it just means the downloaded torrets are containing maybe 240 articles for a year instead of the 24 (12 dungeon and 12 dragon issues). And for pirates as long as it is free they typically don't care as long as the content is usable to them.

And let's not even go into the online virtual tabletop that has been in beta for how long that we were supposed to have access to? I'm not surprised DDI subscriptions are falling off I doubt I'll be renewing my subscription again unless they drastically improve things as this current model sucks since we are paying for quality articles and online tools and what we are getting seems to be mostly rubbish.
And here I figured it was so they could more easily hide the reduced page count in both magazines.

This definitely puts me one step closer to cancelling my annual subscription.  What am I paying for anymore?

-G
And here I figured it was so they could more easily hide the reduced page count in both magazines.

This definitely puts me one step closer to cancelling my annual subscription.  What am I paying for anymore?

-G

Also, no monthly deadline to meet.  They can take their time passing each article to each R&D guy who wants to make their own little tweak to each power and feat until we're left with the unplayable drivel we wind up with as the only "crunch" left in any of these articles.
Sign In to post comments