To Ishtar and back... lvls 2-4 adventure freesboro add-on, may contain spoilers(?)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
i got a hold of the trouble in freesboro adventure, which is from lvl 1-2, and want to make an addon to the end taking the PC's to lvl4. the basic idea is at the end of theh combat with tangh, 1 if not all of the characters get sucked into the beta chamber, as a result ther entire group is teleported to an alternate worldline, not too much different from there current gamma world, just inside some Ishtaran Ruins.

their Ruins encounter #1 is 1 "Sleeth Wrangler"(hobgoblin beastmaster) and 3 soul besh guardskeeters.(525xp)

after they defeat them they can take a short rest a discuss what happened, mid- conversation the timeline will shift to when the Istharan where still around and the building is no longer ruins. They just happen to be standing in a room where a prisoner is being transported, this where Ishtar En. #2 happens.

it consists of 2 Istaran Guards( elf archers) 1 ishtaran Sentry (elf scout) and 2 Robot Canines (gray Wolves)(625 xp)OT drawn.

once they defeat them the prisoner will still be restrained but doesnt look afraid, if they talk to him they discover hes under arrest for traveling to alternate worldlines illegally using an Istharan Machine(DC 15 interaction)and will tell them its location(DC 17), if they let him go at the end he will show up with 2 non-Isthar omega tech items from his travels as a thank you, maybe earlier if the PCs are having trouble.

they are also faced with a skill challenge where they need to make 3 successful science checks, before 4 failures, to open locked door, if the succeed they get a bonus Ishtar En. encounter which at the end the bonus encounter they can get a shrt rest before the time line shifts again taking them back to the ruins..

Ish. En.#2 1 ISh. Training Commander(elf noble guard), 1 Ish. Soldier(Elf Scout) and 5 Recruits(elf Hunters) (430xp) OT drawn

if they fail they go straight to Ruins En.#2

2 Sleeth Guardians,1 sleeth Mindwarden and 1 Soul besh bloodsucker (500xp) An.J rolled

after this encounter the PCs can search around and discover that the sleeths are also searching Peception(DC16) for the same item. here the PC can take a short rest if they didnt succeed the skill challenge above. shortly after which  the timeline shifts again.

This Time the Ishtarans are waiting for you, sort of,  the've dispatched an small group to locate the Intruders( that may or may not have help a prisoner escape). this is Ish EN. #3

1 Ish. High Commander(hobgob Commander) 2 Ish honour Guard( hobgob Battle guard) and 3
Recruits(elf hunters)(593xp) OT drawn

after they defeat them they see more guard rushing towards them, too many to fight, in fact. Lucky for themas the run into another room the timeline Shifts and they find them selves in a contained hallway in the ruins, behind them appears to be a cave-in (Percp.DC 18 to discover the sleeth did it intentionally) but Pc have more pressing matters at hand, as their presence there activated an old floor trap in hallway, the must pass a skill challenge.

DC 15 science or Mechanics and suceed 4 times before failing 3. if they pass they deactivate the trap and gain control of the doors which allows them and extended rest need to lvl which they can do at this point, and if they fail the door fly open and are stuck, alsothe floor trap activates and does 8 electric dam a turn while occupied.

when they leave the hallway they enter a fairly open chamber where they notcie the sleeths have been digging but arent anymore for some reason... that when they Notcie the Parn.

Ruins En #3 1 parn (625xp) OTdrawn. An.J. rolled

after the fight they can take an extended rest if they didnt before and are ultimate stuck there till the time shifts again.

this is the first have of the adventure. i wa slooking for comments and critizism as this is my first every adventure to come up with and am unsure of the encounter difficulty and options available.

ill post the 2nd half shortly.

Nice use of D&D monsters!
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
I like the idea of the shifting timelines. It might be fun to have the players control the shifts, allowing them to move around various blocked areas by timeline-shifting to before the passage was blocked. This is definitely an idea I will be working with in the near future!

One concern about those skill checks:

they are also faced with a skill challenge where they need to make 3 successful science checks, before 4 failures, to open locked door

A 3 over 4 skill challenge is very heavily balanced in favor of the players succeeding, to the point that I would hesitate to call it a challenge. Do make sure that the rolls come from different players, at least, so as to make this less of a sure thing.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
A 3 over 4 skill challenge is very heavily balanced in favor of the players succeeding, to the point that I would hesitate to call it a challenge. Do make sure that the rolls come from different players, at least, so as to make this less of a sure thing.

yeah, haha those were snap numbers, i was think more 4 suc. 3 fail for the first (DC 15 science) and the trap challenge be 5 DC 15 (alternate science and mechanics) successes, before 3 failures.

also, i changed the story up a bit, when the players enter the beta chamber or even if they dont, they find an odd looking remote control, given as ancient junk but turns out to be a remote for the beta chamber. they PC are just about to leave when a button is hit accidentally and thats when the whole mess starts. they kind of figure it out, enough so that the skill challenges earlier may change to encorporate the PC controlling the timestream, ( i like that idea, gives them more control) dont know thought still playing with it.

also nows as good a time as any to post the rest of it:

P.S.
this is for 4 lvl2 PCs)

after they have taken their extended rest, during which the PCs can discuss the happenings they've been involved with, the timeline shifts to Ishtar where the PC are surrounded, and ultimately captured. they are  told due to the general hassle they've caused tehy are to battle for the Lord of U'mesh's entertainment.  here they go through 2 arena encounters:

Arena En 1 (600xp)
2 Ochre Jelly

Arena En2 (750xp)
1 young white dragon

if the PCs survive, the King is delightfully surprised, enough to grant them an audience , where they must pass a Interaction Skill challenge of 5 DC 15 and 1 DC 18 before 4 failure, passing means admiration and OT drawn,  failure means neither. Ultimately, the king decides to aid you by stabilizing your timestream and reprograming your device to take you back to Pungco Labs on the condition that yall destroy the Beta chamber so nothing like this happens again. also if they didnt kill the prisoner and also released him, he shows up before they leave in just enough time for them to draw out of a deck with non ishtaran OT. ( or if they showed him, the remote hes waiting for them at the beta chamber where they can draw 2 times for giving him coordinates to a new timeline). once they have handles all that, they can now turn the Freesboro quest in that start this whole mess. They also get 700xp for destroying the beta chamber quest.

total xp is about 5,343-5773xp. again any advice or comment is welcome.