Adventuring Group Names

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I realize this has probably been done before, but I'm curious what names people have come up with for their adventuring groups in the past?  I'm also looking for ideas to suggest to my group since we can't seem to agree on one yet.  :p

The most memorable of mine were:

Four Swords (and an Axe)
Platinum Liberation Force (two characters worshipped Bahamut)
Lew's Crew (short for Llewellyn's Crusaders -- Llewellyn being the party bard who fancied himself the leader)

Most memorable: Ander and the Divines(Ander being the only non-divine character, natch)
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
The Order of the Deadly Omen (we didn't have a deadly omen, we just thought it sounded cool)

George the Fireball and Friends

Competence
In my campaign, the party was named by others, because they refused to come up with a name themselves. They were originally called the Vanguard of Judgment, which later got confused with Vanguard of Justice, and eventually got shortened to just The Vanguard.

In the game where I'm a player, we call ourselves The Lower Reaches, because one member of the party didn't want a serious name (he wanted to use the naming conventions of MMO guild names), so we compromised with a name that sounds vaguely like it could be a dirty euphemism, but it isn't.

In a previous campaign, our group actually had two names, depending on who you asked (the party was divided into factions over this). Some of us called the group Pendragon & Co., while others called us Halfgrim's Harbingers. Two of the PCs were brothers whose last name was Pendragon (and we were actually the ones to start up the group), but one of our members was a gnome named Halfgrim, who owned the wagon, and thusly painted it with a logo reading "Halfgrim's Harbingers."
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
The Crimson Tusks
a barbarian half orc in the group...guess the rest.
The Malachite Fist, from Paizo's Shackled City AP. My half-orc barbarian/fighter, being the tallest in the group, was considered the "middle finger."
The Group I DM for is known as the Crystal Hatchlings.  Well, the character's group is called that.  We, the players, do not call it anything.  The name started as an insult actually.  I started this campaign out by requiring adventuring licenses in this particular campaign setting, but they were extremely expensive.  To get around this low level would-be adventuring groups apprentice with established groups.  The established group pays the cost of the license and charges interest.  The sponsor group in my campaign was the Crystal Falcons.  Early on in the campaign a "rival" apprentice group, The Steel Hammers, were mockingly calling the group the Crystal Hatchlings.  At first the players hated it but they soon grew to like it and the name stuck.
Gygaxian is NOT a slur. Those who use it as such should be punched in the face. Repeatedly.

The groups I play in tend to lean toward wacky names.

First group - "Too Big to Fail"

Second group "The TOGA Party (TOtally awesome Group of Adventurers)

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I was playing a dwarf barbarian named Karuk Redstone who for w/e reason acted as the parties leader (the lets do that kind not the healing kind). I wasn't leader at first but I eventually just kept deciding what we were doing and kept introducing our group as "Hello I'm Karuk Redstone and these are Restones Rollers." This really irritated one of the players in/out of character especially after I sowed big red silk boulders to the sails and flag of our ship so I ended up compromising and introduced us as Redstones Rollers and Tebimar or now featuring Tebimar.
Natural 20 LLC.  the way we roll, limited liability seemed like the best way.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Crusaders of Apathy
Our RPG group is the Brotherhood of the Meandering Trail, t-shirts and everything :-)
My home campaign group is called "Team F-up". No matter what choices we make and advantages we have, we always F things up.
"The Order of the Flaming Fist". Only party that we've actually named.

It's cuz we all had at least one fire-related power. And our secret party handshake was a fistbump.

~The Chilli God Has Spoken.

Our current party is called (unofficially) "Maybe They Won't Hit Girls."  Why?  The characters who aren't girls are Cha-primary girly-men!
The Avengers
Hoo-ah! (H.O.A. - Heroes of Arabel)
The Flashing Blades Adventuring Company (F.B.A.C)
The Replacements
The Crew of the Red October
The Beach Mods (don't ask)
Black Flag (a secret sub-party within The Beach Mods)

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

The group I DM is called "The Crow's Company". The name was decided by a former member of the group, a ranger, who has a crow pet.

After he left the group, the group replaced him with a drow sorceress...with a crow familiar. They decided to keep the name because of this funny coincidence.

It's cuz we all had at least one fire-related power. And our secret party handshake was a fistbump.

Sorry, I believe a group in Baldur's Gate beat you to that. A canon group, that is.

Sorry, I believe a group in Baldur's Gate beat you to that. A canon group, that is.

I'm going to have a chat with the dude that came up with that name, then.

~The Chilli God Has Spoken.

My FR Campaign: La Compagnie Du Basilic Blanc  (The Company of the White Basilisk)

My Eberron Campaign: Dol Gar'gath

The KoTS serie i play in: Clan Staul    (named after Doven Staul) 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

My FR Campaign: La Compagnie Du Basilic Blanc  (The Company of the White Basilisk)

My Eberron Campaign: Dol Gar'gath

The KoTS serie i play in: Clan Staul    (named after Doven Staul) 

Il est tres bon!!!!!!!
Il est tres bon!!!!!!!

Merci  Thanks Tongue out   (Speaking french ?)

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Il est tres bon!!!!!!!

Merci  Thanks    (Speaking french ?)

Oui, je parle un peu francais, et toi?
Habitez-vous en un pays francophone ?
my KotS group continued through the rest of the H series and most of the P series because whenever some seriously evil dude up and died they they asked me (the DM) if they could reposess the land and they started the Winterhaven Trading Company.
Oui, je parle un peu francais, et toi?
Habitez-vous en un pays francophone ?

Oui j'habite à Montréal, Canada et toi ?
Content de faire ta connaissance.

(Yes i live in Montreal and you ?  Nice to meet you)

Our RPG group is the Brotherhood of the Meandering Trail, t-shirts and everything :-)

The Brotherhood have an awesome motto ! Yous guys rock with your T-shirts ...Smile

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I put my players up against a white dragon in their first adventure (basically ran the 5 combats in the back of the DMG) and they butchered the crap out of the dragon's corpse. When all was said and done, they all had necklaces and decided with no prompting from me to form "Tooth & Nail Expeditions". I was so proud.

Also, does no one here listen to Critical Hits? Cause I thought "Torq and the Torqletones" would have been on the first page.
Everyone's favorite mustachioed and bekilted man of mystery!
Also, does no one here listen to Critical Hits? Cause I thought "Torq and the Torqletones" would have been on the first page.

I do, but it's not funny out of context, and explaining the context without people listening to the podcast would make it even less funny.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
The last big campaign I DM'ed the group became known as "the Demonslayers" because that's what they did.  Slayed demons.  But most people also knew the PC's indivudually, although not necessarily by name. 
In our 2e Realms Campaign years ago, the rogue-bounty hunter in my playgroup started his own "business" that started with finding the family of a friend of his that was last seen and heard heading to the Ruins of Myth Drannor. 

He and his brother named their party the Order of Shadows, and while that may not be a ground-breaking adventuring group name, I still remember it very well because when I asked about what sort of symbol they'd like (sort of like deity symbols), they gave me some ideas and so I drew up a black chinese dragon symbol for them for fun and posted it on the wall before the next game as a surprise, and they absolutely loved it.  That mini-poster hung on the wall for a couple of years.

Lesson learned?  Adventuring group names are cool.  Actual symbols drawn up and hung on the wall in the gameroom like art?  Even cooler.
LEONINE ROAR : Amp Up Your D&D Game : Visit my D&D blog :: FASTER COMBAT : Crush Your Combat Grind
One of my pcs was a half orc from an orcish tribe- the rest of the party came from around the same mountain. This particular tribe had been around a while and carved rough stone faces of ancestors into the mountains- natural springs ran througn iron deposits making water red with rust come from where the mouths were carved, as well as other parts of the face.

Our group was called 'The Bleeding Mountain Band' - and none of us was a bard. Our theme song was Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth.

My colors and decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Pilot of: Thrullilicious Bats in the Belfry Glittering Totem Citadel of Barbs Thallid Salad Spreading Slivers Swamped Hardheaded The Big Green Kobold Fire, Fire! The Eyes of Deception It's Complicated Candyman Faceless How to Annoy Friends and Alienate Enemies
Where's the fun in that?
For our current game (Scales of War) the DM observed our play style and dubbed us the "Socially Retarded Angels of Death".  It's not that CHA is our dump stat, luck just won't let us diplomacy our way out of a paper sack and so we tend to then solve our problems through violence.
For our current game (Scales of War) the DM observed our play style and dubbed us the "Socially Retarded Angels of Death".  It's not that CHA is our dump stat, luck just won't let us diplomacy our way out of a paper sack and so we tend to then solve our problems through violence.

Thats what one of my second ed fighters called diplomacy. Hit it with a mace until it agreed with you.

My colors and decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Pilot of: Thrullilicious Bats in the Belfry Glittering Totem Citadel of Barbs Thallid Salad Spreading Slivers Swamped Hardheaded The Big Green Kobold Fire, Fire! The Eyes of Deception It's Complicated Candyman Faceless How to Annoy Friends and Alienate Enemies
Where's the fun in that?

Every character was left-handed, and symbolically speaking, the left hand is extended for war while the right hand is extended for peace. The group's name? The Left Hand. (And we, too, had a middle finger! It was a dragonborn fighter who really liked dwarven axes, and his favorite attack was Cleave.)

"Our idea of rules modules has a wide range of scope; sometimes, our rules modules might just be small tweaks and variant rules, while other times they could be large-scale changes and entirely new subsystems. We want people to make the game their own, and that means provided a whole array of possibilities based on what you, the players, tell us that you want." -D&DNext Q&A Blog, 8/29/12, Answer #3.
once i had a group that called itself "the short bus superstars"
Shackled City player here too. Our group is called the Silver Slayers. Been playing it for about two years. I'm a little disappointed that we won't get to finish it because the DM and his wife who play are moving out of state. 

I'm starting a 4th ed game soon as the DM and I think I'll call the group "The Reprobates" since I'm going to start them off doing community service for crimes they may or may not have commited. 

Gnomeland Security
yep we're all gnomes with pink hair-do's 
I dubbed the last campaign I ran Agents of Artifice, named for the party themselves who were warforged replicants working for Merrix d'Cannith.  On the surface it seemed pretty straightforward, but Merrix's plots eventually reminded the party that 'artifice' doesn't just mean steampunk gadgetry.  I wanted to be hands-off about what the 'true' party name would be, so I didn't push the AoA option; instead I had them all end up in a gladiatorial arena and, when Bruce Campbell asked what they were called, let them come up with something.  Thus Altercation was born.

The only other group name I've come up with is a loosely affiliated band of mysterious Sharn inquisitives known as the Silent Partners.
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.

When I began DM'ing the players ended up getting 'contracted' to work for an adventuring company called "The Voyagers Guild."

But after awhile they thought it was kind of gay.

Now... we are... "THE BLACK ROBES OF THUNDER!!!!"

In the game I'm currently in, on the fly we decided to make our group the "legitimate" front to the mafia type organization that we work for. We got our name after saying it everytime we did something rather awsome or epic i.e. capturing the spy within minutes of accepting the bounty, arriving on eagles that dropped boulders on a boss fight, destroying about half of the enemies, ect.
We are the mercenary group "We're Just That Good."
My most recent game I play a fighter names Captin Frank Lockheart. Lockheart from the hilariouse Harry Potter character who made his fortune telling and selling other peoples stories as his own. Oh and Frank was a Captin for 2 minutes when the real Captin of a sinking boat was killed (Frank took the title using "shotgun")
Anyways Frank thought of himself as Avandras gift to the world, and thus called the party The Lockheart Heartys. Heartys was a play on Franks love for women, and that he was a human fighter build around being unkillable and owning saving throws!

Long Live the Lockheart Heartys!
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
My main gaming group is called "Death by Die". My girlfriend (also in the group) even made us a logo and gave me a t-shirt :D

Kingslayers is a group who's first adventure was Cairn of the Winter King
Keepers of the City is a group who played a gladiator-style first level to become the city's a-team.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.