[WoA] Is Wrath of Ashardalon still coming out?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I bought Castle Ravenloft when it first released and I've had a blast with it.  Yeah, it's a little lite but I can play with my friends that don't like DnD for various reasons and I like that.  On top of that, I also got a decent collection of mini's and even converted the encounter and monster cards into my 18th level DnD game.  I got my money's worth and I'm happy.

A few months ago I learn about the Wrath of Ashardalon and I couldn't be more excited.  I get new scenarios, new encounter cards, and more miniatures!  I hold off on preording it because as I rule I just don't spend money on myself the few months before Christmas (since it's Christmas and birthday around that time).  I knew it didn't come out until February so I was in no hurry.

Flash forward to today and I finally want to preorder it...but I could no longer find it on Amazon.  I unfortunately could not remember the name of the game but I knew I found it before by searching for Dungeons and Dragons or Castle Ravenloft.  I search some more and no luck, but no big deal, I'll just find it on Wizards.com, after all, I found it there before.

I remember in November I could find it fairly easily but today I couldn't find it all.  I scour the page and look through all the product catalog and could find nothing.  I searched around a few other sites for it but couldn't find it.  I finally gave up frustrated for a few hours until I remember these forums.

I finally find the name of the game in a few other threads and search Amazon and it doesn't come up, only Castle Ravenloft comes up.  Frustrated again, I click Castle Ravenloft just to look at the comments and then I notice Wrath of AShardalon  in the customers with similar searches... box.

I follow the link and find this.

The game is no longer available for preorder and it doesn't actually appear on the site search.  Is the game still coming out?

www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/p...

the wizards page still says "February 15, 2011" - but having it not listed on amazon is weird...

Amazingly the german amazon page still does list it:
www.amazon.de/Wrath-Ashardalon-Boardgame...

Furthermore wizards has scheduled a preview on their own calendar (Jan 19th):
www.wizards.com/dnd/calendar.aspx?Month=...
I suspect Amazon ran out of their shipment... you can pre-order it from a private seller link, or try Troll & Toad, ccgArmory, etc.:

www.amazon.com/D-Wrath-Ashardalon/dp/B00... 
Not only can I confirm that it will indeed be released soon, I can safely say that I've played it several times and it's absolutely amazing!

I got my copy at DDXP and couldn't be happier.  I think they said it would hit the stores around the middle of February for non-convention goers.

Good luck!

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

Does Ashardalon combine with Ravenloft at all?  For example, can you shuffle the treasure, encounter or monster cards together?

All of the elements are swappable.  I like to be able to return them to their homes, though, so I use card sleeves with a little slip of paper ("CR", "Wrath") inside the sleeve's face to denote their origin.

5 new characters:

• Keyleth, elf paladin

• Heskan, dragonborn wizard

• Quinn, human cleric

• Tarak, half-orc rogue

• Vistra, dwarf fighter

I'm not super-aware of all the D&D Minis lines, but I'm pretty certain that the mini for Ashardalon is a new sculpt.  And while I may be wrong on that, I'm not wrong in that it's a really sweet sculpt.  I'll see about getting a picture posted later this morning.

The items, encounters, and monsters can all be used and in all honesty will enhance your CR experience.  There are some aberrations in Wrath, and what's a night in Barovia without some gooey aberrants to go with your bats, vampires, and other nightmares-made-flesh?

To summarize: yes, swap the stuff around.  More options = good times.  Heck, even my wife plays the board games with us, so it's just a matter of time... ;)

Alan Patrick

Ok, got a picture of Ashardalon.  Just ignore the necron next to him, and Anti-Venom off to the right.  Gotta love my workspace   Sorry for the image being so large.

I think it's a new sculpt?  Correct me if I'm wrong!

Alan Patrick

I think it's a new sculpt?  Correct me if I'm wrong!

Pretty sure it's base on the Huge Red Dragon from D&D Miniatures. Remains impressive, even unpainted. Eager to see the new mechanics in this one as compared to Castle Ravenloft!
You're absolutely correct, it's the Huge Red Dragon from the Giants of Legend line.  I only have a few from there (but I got Lord Soth, and that's all that mattered to me in there!)

Alan Patrick

Anyone know if the full list of monsters is Wrath is available? Only ones I know of are red dragon, utyugh and rage drake. Any orcs?
Anyone know if the full list of monsters is Wrath is available? Only ones I know of are red dragon, utyugh and rage drake. Any orcs?

Here's what I found over at Boardgamegeeks (www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/547288/mini...), along with their D&D mini origins:

Heroes:
- Dwarf Fighter (Dwarf Shieldmaiden, Dungeons of Dread)
- Elf Paladin (Divine Crusader of Corellon, Angelfire)
- Human Cleric (Human Cleric of Bahamut, Desert of Desolation)
- Dragonborn Wizard (Dragonborn Elementalist, Lords of Madness)
- Half-Orc Rogue (Unreleased?)

Villains:
- Ashardalon (Huge Red Dragon, Giants of Legend)
- Enraged Rage Drake (Rage Drake, Desert of Desolation)
- Otyugh (Giants of Legend)
- Gauth (Archfiends)
- Duergar Cleric (Duergar Cleric of Asmodeus, Legendary Evils)
- Orc Sergeant (Orc Wolf Shaman, Angelfire)
- Meepo, Dragon Lord (War of the Dragon Queen)

"Commons" (3 of each):
- Grell (Deathknell)
- Legion Devil (Legion Devil Legionnaire, Savage Encounters)
- Orc Mauler (War Drums)
- Cave Bear (Against the Giants)
- Kobold Dragonshield (Kobold Champion, Aberrations)
- Gibbering Mouther (Aberrations)
- Fiendish Snake (Blood War)
- Blood of Vol Cultist (Blood War)
- Duergar Warrior (Archfiends)
- Orc Archer (Lords of Madness)

Anyone please correct me if anything's wrong (I, of course, do not have the game yet).

Also, I'd say it's about time the game got its own area in the "Board games" section.

Regards.
I'm knee-deep in some LFR hoo-ha at the moment, but will update this post later with the contents of my game.  (in other words, this post is my bookmark to remind me to post here :p )

Alan Patrick

I just got my copy a few days ago, and those are the minaitures included with the game. It comes with a deck of treasure cards that are all items. Thus eliminating getting a treasure card at the beginning of the game that no one can use. It also comes with the chamber and adventure cards for campaign play. After playing a few games though, I have come to the conclusion that Wrath is way easier than Castle Ravenloft. I believe it has to do with the items, which are way more powerful than ravenloft, the characters have higher armor classes for most of them, and thier abilities tend to be better as well. The difficulty of the monsters you fight is way down. Essentially the monsters are easier, but they have mechanics where you essentially end up fighting %50 more monsters than in a Ravenloft game. In the 3 games we have played, we had to use 1 healing surge. Might have been good luck, or might be easier. Either way, it in no way takes away from the game, and if you like Castle Ravenloft it is worth the money.
You're absolutely correct, it's the Huge Red Dragon from the Giants of Legend line.  I only have a few from there (but I got Lord Soth, and that's all that mattered to me in there!)

This reminds me, has someone made a Lord Soth Villian card? I think that would be AWESOME for Ravenloft..
Oo, I like this plan.  You get points for raising a dead thread, too!

I'll see what I can whip up.  I may have to make a companion card or mission for his seneschal as well (from Knight of the Black Rose), and perhaps his circle of banshees (from all the Dragonlance and two Ravenloft books).

Could be interesting.  The challenge will be in using minis from the boxed set and not from other sources...

Alan Patrick

Oo, I like this plan.  You get points for raising a dead thread, too!

I'll see what I can whip up.  I may have to make a companion card or mission for his seneschal as well (from Knight of the Black Rose), and perhaps his circle of banshees (from all the Dragonlance and two Ravenloft books).

Could be interesting.  The challenge will be in using minis from the boxed set and not from other sources...

Thats hot man!

Check out my post here I did about it months ago.. no response:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Lord Soth - Level 6 Villian
- immune to spells
- attacks with sword and cold touch?
- teleports
- summon skeletons/banshees?

All of the elements are swappable.  I like to be able to return them to their homes, though, so I use card sleeves with a little slip of paper ("CR", "Wrath") inside the sleeve's face to denote their origin.

For those without sleeves, if you look at the bottom right corner of the cards, next to its number is a small icon which denotes what game the card is from.