A cornucopia of LoG spoilers!

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the latest "In the Works" article.

Includes:

• Full list of 8 origins

• Full preview of 2 origins

• Full details on the vocations system, and complete sample vocation

The vocations sound intriguing... and open up plenty of expansion space for the system. The only "downside" I see is that they are chosen rather than determined randomly - bah humbug!
I was literally just putting together a 3-tiered feat system based on origins.  Hmmm...
The Vampire is well twilight lame, imo.  No blood sucking, what kinda vampire is that.  "We don't suck blood per say, we feed off peoples essence, umm kay." 
Well now we know how Vocations and feats work we can start a list of custom vocations and their 3 tiered feats, just like we're doing with the origins. easy enough!
Vocations

Ready for a fun element to add to your D&D Gamma World character? Legion of Gold further introduces a new option for character building: vocation.

A vocation is a career, an aptitude, or an archetype appropriate for characters of any origin mix. Origins and cryptic alliances help identify who your character is in Gamma Terra, and vocations add a third component to refine your story and identity. And, of course, they also provide a power-up; don't worry, we've got you covered.

You might be an antimatter cockroach that hangs with the Brotherhood of Thought, but are you an antimatter cockroach diplomat, an antimatter cockroach mad scientist, or an antimatter cockroach bounty hunter? Whereas your background describes how or where your character grew up or came to exist, a vocation describes what your character does. Vocations also give characters access to feats, which are cool new heroic benefits.

Choosing a Vocation

Technically, you can have more than one vocation, but that can confuse things. To select a vocation, choose one at 4th level. You can choose one earlier, but you don't gain a mechanical benefit until 4th level. You don't have to select a vocation at all if you don't want to.

Here's how vocations work in conjunction with feats:

At 4th level, you gain the grade 1 feat for the vocation of your choice.

At 7th level, you gain the grade 2 feat for any vocation for which you have the grade 1 feat, or you gain the grade 1 feat for any vocation you don't already know.

At 10th level, you gain the grade 3 feat for any vocation for which you have the grade 2 feat, or you gain the grade 2 feat for any vocation for which you have the grade 1 feat, or you gain the grade 1 feat for any vocation you don't already know.

Vocation Description
Animal Hunter You'll show those critters who's boss. And maybe get a trophy!
Beast Rider Get there faster on the back of your podog mount!
Bounty Hunter "Wanted Dead or Alive" is a phrase that's like music to your ears.
Conspiracist Why? Did they tell you to ask that? Who sent you? WHO SENT YOU?!?
Diplomat What my colleague meant to say is that we would prefer tea, please.
Mad Scientist It's beautiful! A 2-bit PDP-8 computer with a 12-bit accumulator!
Marauder Looting is a way of life.
Medic First aid kit? Check. Electro-paddle thingies? Check.
Naturalist Gamma Terra might be terrible, but it's also beautiful.
Soldier of Fortune I don't care what you want, Mack, as long as your coin is good.
Spice Trader You've never tried cinnamon? Time to rock your world, my friend.
Storyteller "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace . . ."
Tribal Scout "Hey, where's the scout?" "Psst, boss. Right here . . . yeah, I'm the bush."
Witch Doctor Who says magic isn't real? I got a curse here that says otherwise.
Bounty Hunter

You can separate the scum of Gamma Terra from the average mutant; that's why you're so good at what you do. Depending on which regions you operate in, you go by different names: punishment enforcement agent, fugitive recovery expert, and sometimes the Grim Reaper.

Show 'Em Who's Boss Grade 1 Bounty Hunter Feat
Prerequisite: None
Benefit: When you score a critical hit against a creature granting combat advantage to you, the creature also falls prone

Wanted Dead or Alive Grade 2 Bounty Hunter Feat
Prerequisite: Show 'Em Who's Boss feat
Benefit: Once per turn as a minor action, you can designate the nearest enemy to you that you can see as your quarry. Once per round, when you hit your quarry with an attack, the attack deals 2 extra physical damage.

Justice Never Sleeps Grade 3 Bounty Hunter Feat
Prerequisite: Show 'Em Who's Boss feat, Wanted Dead or Alive feat
Benefit: When you roll initiative, roll twice and use either result.
Just wanted to add that to the subject. We now know what vocations are, how they work and how to build them. As for the feats, you can easily copy DnD or SW feats to use for GW vocations.
The Vampire is well twilight lame, imo.  No blood sucking, what kinda vampire is that.  "We don't suck blood per say, we feed off peoples essence, umm kay." 

Actually, the vampire looks exactly like vampires of the White Court from The Dresden Files.
Check out my blog over at Roving Band of Misfits, or follow me on Twitter
To be fair, there are plenty of examples of essence-style vampires that don't... er... sparkle.
Let's hope the origins are going through at least one more edit before they head to print. There are a bunch of errors, both style and substance:

(1) The traits all say (Lvl X), instead of (Level X).
(2) Effect of Luminous Shield is poorly written. Should probably read:

"Until the end of your next turn, the target gains temporary hit points equal to 5 + twice your level, and regains 10 additional hit points when the target uses his or her second wind."

(3) Effect of Barrier of Light is poorly written; it is ambiguous whether an enemy making an attack while adjacent to the wall is subject to the power's attack or the enemy's own attack. Should probably read:

"Whenever an enemy makes an attack while adjacent to the wall, repeat this power's attack again against the triggering enemy."

(4) Range of Eyes of the Vampire is improperly formatted. Should read: "Area burst 1 within 10 squares".
(5) Do What I Say has no target line. Should probably read "Target: One creature"

Here's hoping we can nip these errors in the bud before they go to print!!
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
Um yeah, AFAIK, Eastern 'Vampires' dont drain blood, they drain souls. Its a pretty common form of vampire in non-western sources.

Don't be like that one girl who wrote a letter to the producers of Wolfman, claiming they ripped off twilight because it was about a werewolf ;P

Actually, the vampire looks exactly like vampires of the White Court from The Dresden Files.

To be fair, there are plenty of examples of essence-style vampires that don't... er... sparkle.

Well, well, I never knew, the only vampires I knew growing up sucked blood and were destroyed horribly in sunlight. It wasn't unitl "Twilight" that I heard about vampires that drained essence and sparkle in the sun.  Regardless, essence sipping, sun light sparkling vampires are just lame IMO.  I'm not ripping on Twilight fans, I have many respected friends and family (my mother) who just love twilight.  But, if I were playing a vampire in GW, I would want to suck blood and so would most of the gamers I know.  . 
It's actually really fun. It gives a very easy opening to rip on Twilight.

Last night, one of my friends rolled a Vampiric Pyrokinetic, as I allowed the preview origins. A flaming vamp. With a steel mirror. He was so vain he had to have one despite not being able to see himself in it. He was named Cedric. ;)

Oh, the jokes. Constant.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Well, well, I never knew, the only vampires I knew growing up sucked blood and were destroyed horribly in sunlight. It wasn't unitl "Twilight" that I heard about vampires that drained essence and sparkle in the sun.  Regardless, essence sipping, sun light sparkling vampires are just lame IMO.  I'm not ripping on Twilight fans, I have many respected friends and family (my mother) who just love twilight.  But, if I were playing a vampire in GW, I would want to suck blood and so would most of the gamers I know.  . 

Honestly, I didn't even know the Twilight vampires were essence vampires.  All vampiric creatures (of which there are quite a few) in Shadowrun, for instance, drain essence.  I seem to recall that even in Vampire: the Masquerade, blood was simply the physical representation of essence (Vitae or something?).

Having essence-draining vampires instead of bloodsucking vampires makes sense in Gamma World, where Vampire characters are likely to encounter strange foes whose inner fluids would likely be unpalatable, or even toxic. For example, what happens when a Vampire tries to drain a robot?

For me at least, it's much easier to accept the idea that a robot might some kind of essence that can be drained than to have a Vampire that can consume oil just as easily as blood.
I'd have to bust open some books at home, but aren't the vampires in most editions of D&D touch based level drainers that happen to have a bite attack, with only specific variants in specialty settings (like Ravenloft) actually requiring the whole blood-sucky thing?

Honestly, I didn't even know the Twilight vampires were essence vampires.  All vampiric creatures (of which there are quite a few) in Shadowrun, for instance, drain essence.  I seem to recall that even in Vampire: the Masquerade, blood was simply the physical representation of essence (Vitae or something?).

Having essence-draining vampires instead of bloodsucking vampires makes sense in Gamma World, where Vampire characters are likely to encounter strange foes whose inner fluids would likely be unpalatable, or even toxic. For example, what happens when a Vampire tries to drain a robot?

For me at least, it's much easier to accept the idea that a robot might some kind of essence that can be drained than to have a Vampire that can consume oil just as easily as blood.

I'd have to bust open some books at home, but aren't the vampires in most editions of D&D touch based level drainers that happen to have a bite attack, with only specific variants in specialty settings (like Ravenloft) actually requiring the whole blood-sucky thing?

I must be the only one who remembers vampires as blood suckers.  My bad.

D&D vampires have long had "life essense draining" powers too -- i.e. level loss. Going back at least as far as AD&D ("1e").
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
D&D vampires have long had "life essense draining" powers too -- i.e. level loss. Going back at least as far as AD&D ("1e").

In a brief and preview of the DDi compemdium, searching "vampire", I did not find one mention of "life essence draining" in any description of a vampire.  But I did find many references to powers related to blood and bite.  So I may be in the minority in my view of "life essence draining vampires v. blood sucking vampires" on this thread.  But I believe blood sucking vampires have been a part of DnD lore since the 1st edition vampires sucked blood casuing level loss and regained hitpoints. 

PS maybe somebody can check there monster manuals and monster vaults, maybe I'm wrong on the whole DnD vampires sucking blood v. draining life essence?

Nope.  It's the other way arround.  
Wow, we really sound like we're ganging up.

No, you're totally right on vampires being traditionally blood-suckers.  I was simply pointing out that essence vampires also have a fairly robust traditional, particularly when it comes to gaming.  Hexmage-D brings up a good point, which was likely the motivation in Gamma World, in any case.
Wow, we really sound like we're ganging up.

No, you're totally right on vampires being traditionally blood-suckers.  I was simply pointing out that essence vampires also have a fairly robust traditional, particularly when it comes to gaming.  Hexmage-D brings up a good point, which was likely the motivation in Gamma World, in any case.

I wasn't feeling picke on, it was more like I felt left out, as I was unaware about the "life essence draining touch" a staple of DnD vampires.  But as researched vampires I found that indeed blood draining or sucking are a staple of DnD vampire and not the "life essence draining" touch.  What I remember is the life essence draining touch was the shtick of the wraith or some other insubstatial undead.  After some research, I am finding that I was right about the blood sucking vampire in DnD.  I'm afraid the life essence draining touch is a new phenomion in vampires both in pop culture and maybe DnD. 

You are right Hexmage-D does bring up a good point.  If there is one thing this argument has made me realize is that people have much different ideas about vampires than I did growing up.  Also, I should be open to those different ideas and not such a grognard. 
Not to join in any possible ganging up on, but D&D vampires do in fact have 'essence draining', going at least as far back as the original 1e Monster Manual.

To quote;
'If a vampire scores a hit upon an opponent, its powerful blow causes 5-10 points of damage, and its powerful negative force drains 2 life energy levels from the victim, complete with corresponding losses in hit dice, ability level, attack level, etc.'

This carried forward at least as far as 3e; I know for a fact as I nearly TPKd with it once. I would not at all be surprised to see a few 4e vampires to have a similar ability, albeit lacking the actual level draining.

That said, D&D vampires have always sucked blood, too, along with strong sunlight aversion et al. The essence vampire is by no means a creation of Twilight; it is merely one of the most modern examples, and is certainly among the most visible.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
That's odd...

I always thought vampires were weird suburban kids that ran around and played rock-paper-scissors.

(Couldn't resist.)
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
I always thought vampires were weird suburban kids that ran around and played rock-paper-scissors.

Also rumor has it that sometimes are seen walking through the valley and moving west down Ventura Boulevard...

Also rumor has it that sometimes are seen walking through the valley and moving west down Ventura Boulevard...

That might be the reference of the week. Bravo, sir.

Edit: YEAH, I'M FREE!!!!! FREE FALLIN'!!!!!
Not to join in any possible ganging up on, but D&D vampires do in fact have 'essence draining', going at least as far back as the original 1e Monster Manual. To quote; 'If a vampire scores a hit upon an opponent, its powerful blow causes 5-10 points of damage, and its powerful negative force drains 2 life energy levels from the victim, complete with corresponding losses in hit dice, ability level, attack level, etc.' This carried forward at least as far as 3e; I know for a fact as I nearly TPKd with it once. I would not at all be surprised to see a few 4e vampires to have a similar ability, albeit lacking the actual level draining. That said, D&D vampires have always sucked blood, too, along with strong sunlight aversion et al. The essence vampire is by no means a creation of Twilight; it is merely one of the most modern examples, and is certainly among the most visible.

Yep and I always thought level draining as part of the bite attack and the blood sucking.  I also thought of any essence draining in the attacks were do to blood sucking not some touch.  I never did see the level draining attack as a touch attack and cannot find anything similar to a touch life essence attack in any description of a 4e vampire in the MM, MV or compendium.   The life essence draining w/ out the biting or blood sucking is  a more modern take on the vampire and not an old school 1e DnD vampire thing.  But does it really matter, i see vampires as blood sucking and biting to drain life essence, some only see the drain life essence, we all play or own fanatasies in these games. 

That might be the reference of the week. Bravo, sir.

Edit: YEAH, I'M FREE!!!!! FREE FALLIN'!!!!!

i'm going to have to second that, 

YEAH, I'M FREE!!!!!FREE FALLIN'!!!!!
It's actually really fun. It gives a very easy opening to rip on Twilight. Last night, one of my friends rolled a Vampiric Pyrokinetic, as I allowed the preview origins. A flaming vamp. With a steel mirror. He was so vain he had to have one despite not being able to see himself in it. He was named Cedric. ;) Oh, the jokes. Constant.

That does sound like fun and the kind of stuff our group would do as well.