Art Collection: Dragons that aren't silly :P

101 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, we've all seen silly dragons.

Bus sized dragons with wings that don't even look suitable for a pick-up sized creature. (I know, draconic wingspan would have to be immense to be realistic. Realism isn't my issue, it's visual sillyness.)

Dragons with wings that look like sails after running a gauntlet of archery rangers.

Cartoony dragonish things that simply should not be.

So, let's collect some dragon art that is awesome! :D

One of the main things I'd love would be pics of cool looking dragons with wings that don't have holes punched through them. It's one of my pet peeves.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Great thread idea! Here are a few images I enjoy:

A few more:

You know what this thread doesn't have enough of? Dragons.

Show

Wings are a little small on this one, but I like it anyway:

Kerem Beyit, who drew a number of the images that have been seen in the other thread, has drawn a couple dragon images, and a guy on deviantArt called nJoo has drawn a bunch of them.
There's another floating around called Freezenaw The White Dragon by Kevin Ky Yan, and another by LadyTigerEyes which I have listed as "res1dragon" although that's most likely not the real name...

I don't have time to post any of them at the moment, but most of them should show up on a Google image search of the artist's name. Searching for "dragon" on deviantArt gets tons of results, but there's a lot of crap to search through in order to find the good stuff.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Greetings,

I agree that if you look at dragons from a realistic point of view it is hard to take them seriously.. let me suggests two things.

1. there was a TV documentary that was done like a Discovery Channel Animal special. it was on dragons and was done with the science explained and was overall well produced. I do not know who made it but I am sure you could google it.

2. I ran a campaign where the players asked for it to be more realistic. that is to say bring the game a more technical practical side.
This left me in a bit of a bind for dealing with some very far fetched monsters like demons, gods and dragons.
I ran with String Theory and the postulation that there are many dimensions and alternate universes. The creatures known as dragons, demons and gods. were in fact beings of great power from another universe. we also went with the notion that they could not physically enter this universe..the D&D universe that is. so they projected a semi real facade. this facade did not need to be bound by physical laws in the least as it was literally just a projection a bioform puppet whos power and abilities were channeled from powerful beings from another universe..

I know on the face of it, it does not make things less fantasy but it allows us to provide some balance to the idea that a dragon with massive bulk and super sized forearm biceps can fly on paper thin wings.

Cheers. 
I am almost a little sad at my confusion. When I read the title of the thread I had expected discussion concerning dragons that had specific collections, as in something other than gold. This particular thread, I thought, being about a dragon that had a horde which was a priceless art collection. Well pooh, here is a picture of a dragon anyhow.

Play by Post Games Join us Currently running: The Wheel of Time
Thanks for the contributions!

To those who are confused, or the like:

Like I said, my concern isn't realism, it's visual qualities. I'm tired of looking at dragons that look silly. I don't really care that dragons are silly once you start to think about them scientifically. That's not the point of dragons.

However, a world in which they exist assumes that they fly using those wings. If the dragons in that world also have stubby little wings that aren't even as big as their body, or have gaping holes in them, internal consistency breaks down.

In my opinion, realism is almost completely irrelevant. Verisimilitude, however, is quite relevant. As is visual quality.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I don't like dragons with holes in their wings either, just as much as I don't like people with scars and missing limbs.
SeaGoat, I think the beef with holes in the wings is that if the gaps are too big it interferes with flight.

But you know what I think more than that? I think we need more dragons!

Show

I really, REALLY like the body language on this one:

Look, up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a Superman? No, it's...

brilliant. just brilliant. Thank you.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Woah, there's some awesomeness in there, EasyT. 

I remember I liked this first dragon when I saw it back in the day.  More recently (relatively speaking) the second one came along.  I'd say its wings are particularly verisimilitudinous, no?    (Okay, verisimilar. )

Thank you both! I was happy to see DBW start this thread because it sounded like his taste in dragons is very similar to mine. And I don't think of dragons as those beasts that heros commonly slay. I think of dragons as the monsters which go bump in the night. Not merely immensely powerful, but deeply intelligent. If I'm running a game, the very idea of fighting a dragon should put a knot in a player's stomach.

marius4, nice finds! I especially like the second one, fine detail, great wingspan. I'd give you cookies, but this thread being what it is...

Wait, these cookies look like dragons...

This image is quite possibly my favorite:

was gonna finally post some of my own, but the image uploader isn't working for me. I'll try again later.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Dragons!

Woah, there's some awesomeness in there, EasyT. 

I remember I liked this first dragon when I saw it back in the day.  More recently (relatively speaking) the second one came along.  I'd say its wings are particularly verisimilitudinous, no?    (Okay, verisimilar. )

Very verisimilecular. :P
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
More Dragons ! 
More Dragons !

Very nice! The first and last conjure memories, but I don't think I've ever seen the second one. This means you get dragon-shaped cookies!

Dragons!Spoiler:

Somehow I missed that your post began with dragons! (Can you believe that?) 

Guess what I'm going to end mine with!

Wait for it...

Show

If you guessed "dragons," you're a very gifted guesser:

Brilliant! :D
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Moar dragons because MOAR!

The mass majority of MTG dragon artwork is top-notch.
allgeeksrejoice.com Check out my site for all things geek: D&D, MTG, Anime, Video Games, and more.
What? Nobody mentioned the gallery of Todd Lockwood ( ) yet? Blasphemy!

But beware, browsing his images can lead to being awestruck (especially when combined with this music). ;)
@Ra-Tiel: Indeed, Lockwood's artwork is already classic. It's nice to see a gallery of his work, thank you!

@Kylak: Great finds. Simply stunning. Dragon-shaped cookies are on their way to you now (you may wish to duck):

Anyone else here suffering from an acute lack of dragons?

Show

Clearly, this can only be cured with dragons and flagons!

Your dragon-foo is much stronger than mine. I am impressed.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Thank you, Doctor. Most of the time I'm just doing a simple Google Image Search with different variations. "Green dragon" gives different results than "black dragon", and "giant dragon" gives different results than "huge dragon". I mostly try every variation of "dragon" plus any other word I think of that sounds appropriate and see what turns up.

A search on "elder dragon" led to me stumble across some Deviant Art collections. Collections WHICH WILL EAT YOU.

I liked a couple from the dracomonicon.

Oops!  How'd that familiar get in here?

I'd like to throw Ruth Thompson's Tarnished Images site into the ring.  My old roommate turned me on to her work in the mid 90s, and she does regular appearances at Renaissance festivals throughout the country.  She also does others types of art.  Her Angels series was compiled into a book, and made into statues by the Franklin Mint.

Edit: She has also done work for WotC, in the form of Magic Cards, and TSR in some issues of Dragon.

Ramius

58074418 wrote:
I strive for the freedom from expectations so many enjoy here; I fear I have a long journey to that level of spiritual creaminess.
@Ramius613: Very nice. I like her style of art, it has a strong appeal. Thank you for sharing that.

@saring: Superb! You get cookies. But in Soviet D&D, cookie eats YOU:

Gorgeous... Just gorgeous.

Peace,
-Darakonis

The D&D Digest: DM & Player guides. Product reviews & new releases. D&D Resources. Quick video tips.

Watch the live-streamed adventures of a virtual gaming group: Dungeons & Drogans.
@Ramius613: Oh heck, you get cookies too.

Here's a few:

Yes, I know I misspelled "Jensaarai".
Show
You are Red/Blue!
I am Red/Blue
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and emotional. I value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, I'm innovative and intuitive. At worst, I'm scattered and unpredictable.
@JensaariWarrior: Nice! I especially like the first one showing relative scale.

@ EasyT: Thanks!

A few more....

Show
You are Red/Blue!
I am Red/Blue
I am both rational and emotional. I value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, I'm innovative and intuitive. At worst, I'm scattered and unpredictable.
And even more:

Show
You are Red/Blue!
I am Red/Blue
@JensaariWarrior: I really like the image of the group preparing for combat against a dragon inside of some ruins. Great find. 

What's that I hear on the wind? The whisper of distant sails unfurling? Yet high, as if canvas were dropped amidst the clouds? A trick of the ear, surely. That, or the kites of giants.

Show

We've already seen some art from kerembeyit, and I think it's time for some more:

Today's question for double or nothing tasty treats is this:

A mighty beast of the air, it's in his lungs.
It has no mouth, yet it has tongues.
It does not live, yet it breathes.
And when its food is gone, it leaves.
It will die if you give it a drink.
Yet it cause mighty ships to sink.

Answer

I speak of course of fire.

Riddle me this, dragon lovers:

When a dragon flies
He seeks me with his eyes
When a dragon roars
He holds me in his claws
When he slumbers deep
He dreams of me in his sleep
But there beneath his head
I form his precious bed

What am I?

[sblock=Answer]
Show

A dragon's booty-call. No, wait, on second thought the answer is probably a dragon's hoard. Yes, surely that.

Sign In to post comments