Free Combat/Encounter Manager: 4eTurnTracker

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'll keep this short because you will find more info on the web-site Smile

4eTurnTracker is a program to help DMs manage a D&D 4th Edition encounter.

It runs on Mac OS X and Windows.

The program is developed by a veteran player (since 1984) and a veteran programmer (since 1980), so it is either very good ... or very bad! Wink

Decide for yourself, check it out at: 4eturntracker.com
4eTurnTracker, D&D 4e Combat Manager
Latest news and updates on Twitter
I just tried this tool. WOW!!!!!!!!  I've tried every 4e combat manager and this is by far the best. It has all of the features I'm looking for and the GUI is perfectly organized and easy to use.

No, I'm in no way affiliated with this tool or it's programmer. I just thought I'd give it a two thumbs up so others may benefit from it.

An new release of 4eTurnTracker is now available.

Version 1.0.04, highly recommended...
4eTurnTracker 1.0.05 has just been released.

Check it out: 4eTurnTracker 1.0.05 adds cool Player's Window widgets! Smile
So far liking this - it's great that I can import my OCB files, I think this is pretty cool. Nice way to organize my files.

I have a game on Saturday, will post with a review of the tool as it existed.
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
Ongoing Damage is completed brocken in 1.0.05, and the Conditions and Effects list does not refresh correctly. Yell

I have released 1.0.06 to fix these problems.
A new version of 4eTurnTracker has just been released. The new version displays complete Monster Stat Blocks.

You can create monsters easily using the Stat Block text copied from many different sources.

The program is free, and really good at managing encounters, so check it out! Smile
The latest release of 4eTurnTracker has a bunch of new features. Read more about it here: 4eTurnTracker 1.0.09 adds many Features requested by Users.
4eTurnTracker version 1.5.01 has just been released!

If you have never used a Combat Manager before then you will discover that this program can really save you time!

The latest version is packed with new features so if you have never used 4eTurnTracker, now is a great time to give it a try (and besides, its free)! Cool

Here's the latest announcement: 4eTurnTracker 1.5.01 tracks Monster Power Usage.

Awesome program, very useful. I've yet to run it in an actual game, but I've run a few test encounters with it and it works like a breeze. It makes Dming so much easier and combat is so much quicker.  

Don't tell them I said this, but this is a hundred times more useful than anything WOTC has put out recently. 
Glad to hear Straggler! Smile

And I am following 1.5.01 up with a quick update: Update 1.5.02 handles Healing Surges better.

The new version will allow you to easily handle situations like: drinking a healing potion, or the Cleric heals a bunch of characters.

The update also fixes a few minor bugs.
Great utility JabberWocki!

Are there any plans to support importing monsters/NPCs from the XML format?  The online Monster Builder currently does not have the functionality to copy or export to RTF format.

Thanks.
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.
Are there any plans to support importing monsters/NPCs from the XML format?  The online Monster Builder currently does not have the functionality to copy or export to RTF format.

Yes, for this reason support for the .monster XML format has been requested by a number of users.

So I would like to get it done as soon as possible.
I just started tinkering with this couple weeks ago, and I have to tell ya. This is absolutely one of the easiest, intuitive and highly functioning turn trackers for 4th edition period. In 20 minutes I was off and flying with this thing. Bravo.
Thanks for the update. I would really like to use your tool, but it is still missing power tracking for PCs. This is a key feature for me. Wink

I tried to import the PCs as monsters, but then they are missing surges and action points. So I am still waiting for something more specific. 

By the way, you added so many features during the year. That's great.  TT is also quite fast and easy to use.
Just like to mention to those watching this post. If you use the program then please follow 4eTurnTracker on Twitter or Facebook.

That way you will hear about bugs and updates as soon as possible.

You see, I don't do much testing before a release Surprised

The problem is, good QA (Quality Assurance), is very time consuming. Instead I try hard to get a bug fix release out quickly.

Case in point: release 1.5.03, fixes a bug in 1.5.02 that crashes the program if you select "Any Monster" from the Origin popup in the Conditions and Effects dialog.

Kylia and Mondragon thanks for your feedback. Knowing what the program does well, and where the shortfalls are, are both important for improving 4eTT. After all, I have to add the one, while preserving the other! Smile

Adding support for more PC information is high on my list, so please keep checking in...
I've been using 4e Turn tracker for some time now, I use 2 screens so that my players can follow what's going on WITHOUT being all to attentative at some times and even that fails sometimes...

I really enjoy using 4E turn Tracker as it has all the things I actually looked for in DM tool.

Just one tiny thing, the number you see at monster rolls is it the total number or does it still need the +X initiative?

Cuz some of my monsters get a +27 roll without their initiative bonus being that high.

Others than that, AWESOME PROGRAM
Just one tiny thing, the number you see at monster rolls is it the total number or does it still need the +X initiative?

The numbers you see in the Initiative Dialog include the initiative bonus. So, if you don't want to roll initiative for the monsters yourself, you can just press OK, after entering the player rolls (which must also include the bonus).

You also don't have to worry about duplicate initiative values. The rules provide a procedure for handling this situation which is followed automatically by the program.
4eTurnTracker 1.5.05 is now avialable for download.

The cool thing about this version: you can now easily import Monsters created using the Online D&D Adventure Tools. Cool

There are also a number of other improvements to the Monster Manager and some features that has been requested by a number of users.

Check out the announcement for details!
Love the product!  But, is there a log parser?  (for say when you wanted to look at the party's total damage - or how much someone took, etc....)

Love the product!  But, is there a log parser?  (for say when you wanted to look at the party's total damage - or how much someone took, etc....)

I could provide a utility to convert a log to text format, so at least it would be readable. But, would that be useful to you?

You would then still probably need some scripting skills to extract the data you are interested in.

I could provide a utility to convert a log to text format, so at least it would be readable. But, would that be useful to you?

You would then still probably need some scripting skills to extract the data you are interested in.

That'd be perfect!  If it's in a normal text format, I can write myself a little program to pull out all the data listed 

4eTurnTracker is now an Open Source project! Cool

The program is licensed under the Gnu Public License (GPL) 2.0. So, if you want to help, or are just curious, the source code is now hosted by Launchpad.

If you would like to get involved, then great, because there is lot's to do! With your help we can make 4eTurnTracker even better!

For more details, please read the announcement.
It is one 'o' clock in the morning. In twelve hours, they will drown in their own blood. This tool will be of much assistance.

Seriously though, lucked out and found this during a completely unrelated Google search. I'd been using Dungeon Master's Battle Screen until now (and DM Encounter Helper before that and a set of notepad files before that and pencil and paper before that) and this blows it very gently out of the water.

My big beef with DMBS was that it used its own fairly arbitrary Monster Stat Block format and didn't import .monster files very well. It was alright for bread-and-butter monsters, but I have a penchant for using pretty freaky custom monsters. 4eTT handles importing and displaying much better, and the much more robust Conditions & Effects system and the better use of display space are the icing on the Pillsbury toaster strudel.

The open sourcery is good to hear. I'd been looking for some sort of project to work on to ease my transition from the warm cocoon of academia to the rickety twig of the Real World, so I may poke around in there a bit.

We'll see how it works in tomorrow's game.
Verdict: Most Excellent.

The ability to arbitrarily rearrange initiative is a godsend, especially considering the particular encounter I ran (party of six split up into three pseudo-simultaneous two-PC fights). As is the ability to simultaneously display the stat blocks of the current creature and its target(s). Most beautiful thing is being able to apply the same condition/damage to multiple creatures simultaneously.

If anything, the program has a bit too much fidelity. I trust my players to keep track of their own HP, AP, and healing surges, so all of those program features go unused. Also still had issues (though not as bad as DMBS) importing *.monster files for some of the more twisted monsters. I also heartily disagree with the use of a spinner for damage and initiative and the whole initiative interface is a bit clunky.

I'll be delving into the source code as soon as the time gods allow. 
Wow! Excellent program. I didn't want to believe the hype, but this is truly a great tool. Love the look and functionality on a mac. 
The latest update of 4eTurnTracker implements Traps and Hazards! Smile

You can read more about the new version here. This was followed by a couple of bug-fix updates, so the current version number is 1.5.08.

Another useful feature of the update is support for "alias" names for creatures in an encounter.

The previous version, 1.5.05, will expire on the 20 April so please update soon! The latest version has no expiry date.

4eTurnTracker 2.0 implements "programmable" PC Powers

I have just released 4eTurnTracker 2.0.03 Beta. You can read about the new release here. Cool

This version implements a much asked for feature: Player Character Powers. The powers are imported automatically from a .dnd4e file (as exported by the online D&D Character Builder).

But the biggest innovation in 2.0 is the new "programmable" Conditions and Effects dialog. In short: you select the targets, click on the power to be used, and then enter the effects of the power (damage, ongoing conditions, end condition, etc).

Now the program remembers the effects you entered for the power, so the next time you use the power, you don't have to enter all the effects and conditions again. This is done for both monster and PC powers, but the biggest time saver will be for PC powers which are used much more often.

And, there is lots more. You can read all about it in the release notes. Smile
This latest 2.0 Beta version of 4eTurnTracker includes practically every feature you need to speed up 4th Edition encounters. Cool

This version allows you to "pre-program" PC and Monster powers, including the effects to targeted creatures (hit and/or miss) and separately for "effected" creatures.

The result is you can track the effects of complex powers with a few key strokes or mouse clicks.

Click on a PC or Monster power when it is used, select the targets and effected creatures, and add the damage amount, and you are done.

On-going effects and damage, conditions, healing surges, damage type, end conditions, etc. can all be specified for a power so that this need not be done each time the power is used during combat.

Read about the latest release here. For details of all changes and new features in 2.0, check out the release notes.
4eTurnTracker 2.0.08 Beta has just been released!

This version supports multiple languages and includes some useful features and bug fixes.

Read all about it in the announcementSmile
Just started using this great tool at my last game. LOVE IT!

It works great on my MacBook Air and really makes things easier for a new DM (me). Thanks!!!