Jund

28 posts / 0 new
Last post

Jund

What is Jund

Jund is a Red, Greed, Black aggro deck that utilizes cards like Bloodbraid elf, Putrid leech, and Blightning to quickly attack their opponents. The deck showed up in alara block and quickly became a format defining deck.

How to play Jund

Play dudes and turn them sideways. The concept of the deck is simple play guys and attack. Mastering the deck isn't that simple as there are so many important decisions to make while playing the deck. Even simple decisions like what land to play have huge effects on the game.

Advantages

Very strong early to mid range aggro deck.
3 colors to chose from gives you access to answers to almost everything out there.
High tempo deck, hard to stop once it's running.

Disadvantages

Easy to play, but difficult to master.
(open to suggestions)

Card choices

Creatures

Putrid Leech- This guy can be difficult for the unprepared to deal with. Lightning bolt won't kill it (unless they bolt in responce to your pump), immune to doom blade. He usually deals 4 damage per turn. Comes out turn 2, so avoids most counter magic.

Bloodbraid Elf- 3/2 Haste guy for beating + another card from your deck. This guy is awesome card advantage for a deck like this.

Anathemancer- Possibly the best 2/2 in the format. Decks in extended barely play basic lands as most are around 3 colors. This means that after 3/4 turns this guy will hit for a bit of damage before ever entering combat. Late game he's looking at doing 7-8 damage when he enters the battlefield.

Boggart Ram-gang- 3/3 haste (for 3) that eats blockers alive.

Sprouting thrinax- another 3/3 for 3, this time if he dies he still does 3 per turn, or he could be used to chump block 4 times.

Kitchen Finks- Strong anti aggro card. Gains you 4 life while trading multiple times.

Vengevine- 4/3 haste guy that just wont stay dead.

Demigod of Revenge- A true game finisher. He has ways around counter magic and is hard to permanently remove.

Fauna Shaman- Lets you play a variety of creatures and get the ones you want. Makes vengevines and demigods much better.

Broodmate Dragon- Clasic jund, but there are better choices these days.

Grave Titan- good finisher for the deck if you need one.

Spells

Blightning- Bread winner for this deck. Deals damage while 2 for 1ing your opponent. Watch out for opponents who dont care about discard though. Some cards actually prefer being in the Graveyard.

Maelstrom Pulse- Another card advantage card if used on a target with more than 1 in play. Usually people run things in multiples. Also kills multiple types of targets even planeswalkers.

Bituminous Blast- Card advantage is once again key. This time by killing most creatures that will be played against you and netting you another card.

Lightning Bolt- You are playing red.

Land

Blackcleave Cliffs, Copperline Gorge- yummy lands that don't enter the battlefield tapped during the early turns.

Savage Lands- all 3 colors provided (good turn 1 drop).

Raging Ravine- a land that likes to beat your opponent over the head, good stuff.

Twilight Mire- Other filter lands are usable, but this one guarentees you the b/g needed for t2 putrid leach. Also turns your black mana green for ram gang, or your green mana black for demigod.

Verdant Catacombs- Fetches 2 of your 3 colors. Sometimes at the same time.

murmuring Bosk- Can be fetched and adds 2 of your 3 colors. Also allows a white splash if you really really need it.

Matchups

Need feedback.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Didn't see a decklist here so I went and found one myself. It's from the 2010 World Championships.

Sureyya Dipsar's Deck

Creatures -- 21
4x Putrid Leech
1x Anathemancer
4x Kitchen Finks
4x Boggart Ram-Gang
4x Bloodbraid Elf
4x Demigod of Revenge

Spells -- 13
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Blightning
4x Maelstrom Pulse
1x Thoughtseize

Land -- 26
4x Blackcleave Cliffs
2x Copperline Gorge
4x Fire-Lit Thicket
1x Graven Cairns
2x Lavaclaw Reaches
2x Mountain
3x Raging Ravine
4x Reflecting Pool
4x Savage Lands

SB -- 15
2x Duress
4x Great Sable Stag
3x Obstinate Baloth
1x Thought Hemorrhage
1x Thoughtseize
4x Volcanic Fallout

Seems like a pretty standard list thats probably worth putting in the first post
done
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Terminate is a common Jund spell, as was Lightning Bolt, Oran-Rief the Vastwood, and Goblin Ruinblaster.

Disadvantages of the deck are a serious weakness to LD like Fulminator Mage, Ruinblaster or Spreading Seas.

Obstinate Baloth runs in and out of the deck.

Really, if anyone wants a Jund list, they can look any and everywhere. Jund was pervasive and was all over the tournament scene for 6 months solid as the reigning top deck. Block constructed versions and Lorwyn/Alara standard lists are also readily available.

What makes Jund work is that all of the spells are made to generate card advantage or at least equality.

Maelstrom Pulse is often a 2+ for 1
Blightning is a 2:1
Sprouting Thrinax and Kitchen Finks are 2:1 or more
Broodmate Dragon is a 2:1

Jund does one thing well, generate card advantage. It then turns that card advantage into wins.

Additional evolutions of the deck are LD and Zoo centered versions.

Some Zoo-like versions feature Fauna Shaman, Vengevine and Demigod Of Revenge to great effect, and focus on graveyard recursion. Other zoo versions feature more Plated Geopede, Sprouting Thirnax, and Putrid Leech and focus on the early drops that beat so hard.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
Amplexis you should post your list

Not sure why as I don't really play Jund and really don't claim to be an expert. But here goes.

Land 25:
1 of each basic (for path targets)
4 Copperline gorge
4 blackcleave cliffs
3 Twilight Mire
4 Savage Lands
4 Raging Ravine
Lavaclaw Reach
1 Verdant Catacombs

Removal: 7
4 Bitumous Blast
3 Shriekmaw

Creature base: 27
4 Putrid Leach
Fauna Shaman
3 Vengevine
4 Bloodbraid Elf
Sprouting Thrinax
Boggart Ram-gang
3 Kitchen Finks
3 Anathemancer

Other: 1
1 Torrent of Souls

SB:
Maelstrom pulse
1 Kitchen finks
1 Anathemancer
Puppeteer Clique
4 obstinate Baloth
3 Great Sable Stag 

Or something similar.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
To be clear, here's a more traditional Jund list

LANDS 27
4 Raging Ravine
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Savage Lands
4 Reflecting Pool
3 Verdant Catacombs
3 Mountain
2 Forest
2 Swamp
1 Murmuring Bosk

CREATURES 19
4 Putrid Leech
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Sprouting Thrinax
3 Kitchen Finks
2 Anathemancer
2 Grave Titan or Broodmate Dragon

SPELLS 14
4 Blightning
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Bituminous Blast
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Terminate

SIDEBOARD
3 Great Sable Stag
3 Volcanic Fallout or Jund Charm
4 Duress
2 Anathemancer
2 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Kitchen Finks

Some jund sideboards include Obstinate Baloth for the mirror and for the very difficult RDW match.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
Re: ong's list,

I've yet to see a top placing Jund extended deck using Sprouting Thrinax over Boggart Ram-Gang, or Grave Titan/Broodmate Dragon over Demigod of Revenge.  So I wouldn't call that list "traditional" so much as "sub-optimal" for the format.
Photobucket My Trade Thread: The_Fringer's Mercantile Plane (Updated: 1/13/11)
Re: ong's list,

I've yet to see a top placing Jund extended deck using Sprouting Thrinax over Boggart Ram-Gang, or Grave Titan/Broodmate Dragon over Demigod of Revenge.  So I wouldn't call that list "traditional" so much as "sub-optimal" for the format.

It's a bit closer to the standard Jund lists from the time when it was the top deck in standard.

Additionally, Thrinax is generally stronger than Ram-Gang only because it trades and leaves the 1/1 babies behind to hold the fort.

Grave Titan, Broodmate, Demigod is all still being worked out. I personally don't agree with Demigod in that deck. I think Demigod is a great card, but better in RDW/All-in red lists instead of Jund. Path to Exile is just too good against it.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Fringer is right Ong. You're list isn't a typical jund list at all.

Jund lists run as follows:

4 Putrid leech
3 Sygg OR 4 Fauna Shaman
4 Boggart Ram Gang
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Demigod of Revenge
(19-20)

4 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Blightning
(12)

Then four slots of other cards, sometimes a few fauna targets, like anathemancer, O Baloth etc, and sometimes just a set of Kitchen Finks. Sprouting Thrinax is not a three drop that is used, finks and ram-gang are generally accepted as the better three drops. Bit blast is also too slow.

ALL lands in the deck produce red mana, so ram gang and demigod are both easy to cast. They do not use fetch lands as a general rule.

Grave Titan/Broodmate are TWO turns slower in terms of damage connecting. Demigod will always get you value, and path is maybe a 2 of maximum in decks that run it, Naya only has them in the SB. With Leech, into Ram-gang and BBE, Jund is all about clocking quickly.

Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
I love how you kind of just glossed over my rebuff

Path To Exile is well played in the format, and I used it to great effect versus Jund in the PTQ to be sure. I personally think this is a good reason to play Grave Titan or Broodmate over Demigod... though I do understand why people favor Demi though, because outside of Path, it's strictly nuts

Additionally, the math very much favors Sprouting Thrinax vs  Ram Gang. the trade of haste for replacing bodies is worth it. This is one where harder to cast versus Path To Exile and I favor the if they don't have Path, what happens side.

At the end of the day people will play whatever versus of Jund they think is best, I am just presenting the facts as I see them.

Jund wants card advantage, Thrinax is that card advantage a lot more than Ram Gang.

Demigod, Grave Titan, and Broodmate all generate that card advantage in different ways, I could be wrong or right so I won't argue too much on that point.

I will conceed that Bituminous Blast may be better left to old standard Jund for the time being.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

At the end of the day people will play whatever versus of Jund they think is best, I am just presenting the facts as I see them.

Just to make my point clear.  I never said your list was "wrong" or that your OPINIONS were invalid.  Just that the list you presented, from the actual data we have from the (admittedly young) new extended season, does not line up with your version of the archetype in the Extended metagame.  Regardless of what it might have looked like before in Standard.

Constructive debate and conjecture, however, is something I'm always up for.  :-)
Photobucket My Trade Thread: The_Fringer's Mercantile Plane (Updated: 1/13/11)

Just to make my point clear.  I never said your list was "wrong" or that your OPINIONS were invalid.  Just that the list you presented, from the actual data we have from the (admittedly young) new extended season, does not line up with your version of the archetype in the Extended metagame.  Regardless of what it might have looked like before in Standard.

Constructive debate and conjecture, however, is something I'm always up for.  :-)

Okay, no worries. It's just I thought Cyrus was just kind of glossing over the Thrinax v Boggart and the Grave Titan, Broodmate, Demigod debate. I didn't think you personally were gunning for me. As for the facts, I can dig up more Jund lists, like I did with my Naya thread if you like.

Random note: the earliest Jund list you can find around are old Shards block constructed versions of the deck... they look a fair amount different obviously...

A new crop of PTQs have happened and the next few rounds will look totally different, since February brings in all of the MBS cards.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Should this deck have fulminator mages in the sideboard for the mirror? Seeing that at least over here the most common decks are faeries and jund. Or are there a better option for nonbasic land-hate?

Also I don't see people playing grave titan over demigod at all. I think Demigod is strictly better.

Looking at bloodbraid, ram-gang, vengevine and demigod, this deck packs a big and hasty punch

Looks seriously strong. I think Im gonna invest in this for the next PTQ.
"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal

Ok then, Path to exile isn't that relevant, 4cc runs 2 in the MD at most, and that deck scoops to Demigod jund all day long. Naya only runs path in the board since it's using the Vengevine-BBE package, so Demigod has a free reign. UW control is the only deck that has a relevant impact with Path, so it's not much of a consideration.

Extended is faster than standard was, Sprouting Thrinax doesn't clock as well as Ram-gang. Jund is all about clocking quickly. Jund decks have plenty of manlands in case their hand runs out, and Grave Titan is a little excessive in terms of mana, Demigod was used in jund originally back when it was first poking it's head around in standard. Broodmate dragon was actually a downgrade when lorwyn rotated since the deck had lost it's speed plays of BBE into ram-gang etc, so it needed to build more card advantage.

Extended Jund is like original standard jund, where it should have you dead on turn 6, rather than playing around with dragons, the demigod has gotten in twice by the time you've even cast the dragon.

Another interesting note, a lot of jund decks have stopped running blightning since it's too much of a liability, people are just pitching demigods and vengevines to it, which is obviously problematic, and anyone who has a turn with an active fauna shaman is a pretty stupid target to blightning.

The Thrinax debate isn't about whether it should replace ram-gang, but whether it replaces finks. Extended jund usually has 8 three drop creatures. Ram-gang is the obvious choice as it's fast, beats down walls, and rapidly can change games. In a world of faeries, having a 3/3 that can't attack till turn four and has to attack on the ground isn't amazing, ram-gang lets you kill quickly, if you slow the deck down, you start losing to decks like 4cc and naya which you don't want to do. The finks VS Thrinax is interesting, RDW has a decent enough game agasint Jund, so having the finks mitigates that loss. And RDW is very popular at the moment. In terms of living through wrath, both cards do similar jobs, finks however, will always get you something, if they remove your thrinax from the game, you get nothign, finks always gives you value. I don't think there's much debate needed to show finks is a better creature. Also, you seem to petrified about demigod being pathed, but he still gets in for five first most of the time, but thrinax doesn't give any value if pathed, whilst path isn't a huge player in the format, I think you seem to be a little contradictory.

Anyway, if we are talking about Jund in general in terms of numbers and statistics, Demigod Jund, with ram-gangs and finks are where jund is firmly sitting. At the last 2 PTQ's in the UK, every jund build ran ram-gang into demigods, and jund represented itself in both top 8's. Results from the states seem to agree.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

Another interesting note, a lot of jund decks have stopped running blightning since it's too much of a liability, people are just pitching demigods and vengevines to it, which is obviously problematic, and anyone who has a turn with an active fauna shaman is a pretty stupid target to blightning.

If the metagame is backwater and still has lots of faeries (as mine may be) I guess I would still run blightnings, but what would be our options to replace blightning?

What about flame javelin? It kills demigod, mistbind, and whole lot of things, is an instant and can be pointed to the head. Would its casting cost be a problem? I dont think so since it can also be cast for . Or vengevine?

edit: Sorry, bloodbraid unfortunately doesn't hit flame javelin -_-

"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal

Some people have been running fallouts/Jund Charm, but the fauna builds often pack a few targets, like an anthemancer, O Baloth etc.

Although with MBS out soon, it might end up being something different.

EDIT: Also Stags are very popular, sometimes replacing the 4 blightning with 2 stags and 2 more removal spells.(or a 3-1 split)
Should this deck have Fulminator Mage in the sideboard for the mirror? Seeing that at least over here the most common decks are faeries and jund. Or are there a better option for nonbasic land-hate?

If those are the most common decks I wouldn't suggest any form of land hate. Focus on playing faster than them. If you still want land hate Goblin Ruinblaster is the choice I would pick. Just make sure that every time you BBE you have an open red mana.

Yep way ahead of you here. Also obstinate Baloth is seeing alot of play due to blightning and the RDW matchup, and there is a good GW deck running wilt-leaf leige. (thoughtseized my opponent he revealed 3 of these  FML)

If the metagame is backwater and still has lots of faeries (as mine may be) I guess I would still run blightnings, but what would be our options to replace blightning?

I would have them in the sideboard for faeries. As for what to run in place, anthemancer is good. Heck there has been a debate in this thread which 3 drop to use, without blightning you could add another in. Mainly I suggest running another beatstick in its place.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
All right, to switch the focus a bit, what to do against valakut/scapeshift? tunnel ignus as sideboard card? :D

ps. Im seriously considering running lotus cobras for both acceleration and manafixing. Doesnt need much else to back them up, but like 2nd turn cobra 3rd turn BBE hitting ram-gang sounds pretty nuts to me. Plus it allows for quicker cast demigod. Propably run fauna shamans as well. In my eyes if theres one card that would accelerate jund from its play-lands-tapped version that I remember from standard, it would be cobra. After todays legacy tourney Im going to concentrate putting some version of the deck together, so far theres so many options that I havent gotten around to do it yet. Cobras would propably replace the leeches. Also Ive thought about adding Garruk, for the land-untapping and overrun.

pps. great sable stag, the penultimate anti-fairy card. Already bought 4 of them. Theres also vexing shusher if you would want.
Heres my preliminary attempt.

4 lightning bolt
4 lotus cobra (replacing leeches here just for the speed factor)
4 fauna shaman
4 boggart ram-gang
4 bloodbraid elf
4 demigod of revenge
3 maelstrom pulse
2 anathemancer (might run stags here if meta is lots of faeries)
2 blightning
2 garruk wildspeaker
1 bituminous blast (I think terminate would be better, or the last pulse. I put this here just for the cascade)

4 savage lands
4 blackcleave cliffs
4 copperline gorge
4 verdant catacombs
2 swamp
2 forest
1 ancient ziggurat
1 graven cairns
2 fire-lit thicket
2 twilight mire
= 26 lands
boggart is terrible, who uses that.
Imao, all these jund lists are horrible

Despite how trolling this post, I'll give you a real answer.

Boggar ram gang was always the three drop of choice for Jund when it was in standard at the same time. And in extended, ram-gang is very strong, giving you a very quick clock, taking out the walls of tanglecors that are popular and the wall of omens that UW etc are playing. Also, it kills finks. BBE into Ram-gang is very strong.

Who's running these cards? All the winning players, so go figure....
boggart is terrible, who uses that.
Imao, all these jund lists are horrible

Despite how trolling this post, I'll give you a real answer.

Boggar ram gang was always the three drop of choice for Jund when it was in standard at the same time. And in extended, ram-gang is very strong, giving you a very quick clock, taking out the walls of tanglecors that are popular and the wall of omens that UW etc are playing. Also, it kills finks. BBE into Ram-gang is very strong.

Who's running these cards? All the winning players, so go figure....

Winning players? Jund isn't posting the numbers in extended the way it used to in standard here in the states... Fae, 5 and 4cc, and Scapeshift brews are all doing well and Naya is posting some good showings... but Jund isn't like running away enough that I would say "winning players" are playing that. I would say if nothing else, Fae still holds that.... which is funny because some versions of Jund just clean the Fae clock good.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

If you look at the best resource at the moment for meta-breakdown, TC decks, you'll see Jund is currently the second most successful deck in the format:

www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/formato.php?fo...[Lor_M10_SoM]

Naya and scapeshift are a 3rd less sucessful. Please do your research in future.
The problem matchup I see currently for jund is valakut/scapeshift. Junds are not being fast enough for that matchup (kind of like T2 aggros vs valakut, being fast enough requires effort in deckdesign). I put the lotus cobras in my list to be faster (turn 3 BBE cascading into ramgang attacking for 8 sounded good) but it requires some more work.  Myabe goblin guides or just a different kind of RG aggro? Maybe swap some demigods for vengevines..

Naya most likely fares better against valakut due to having more hate against it, namely runed halo, leyline of sanctity and gaddock teeg.

but Jund isn't like running away enough that I would say "winning players" are playing that. I would say if nothing else, Fae still holds that.... which is funny because some versions of Jund just clean the Fae clock good.

The thing is the valakut/scapeshift matchup. Fae runs counters, making it more versatile whereas jund doesn't have anything special to show for that matchup. Even though Id imagine junds being very favored against fae.

If you look at the best resource at the moment for meta-breakdown, TC decks, you'll see Jund is currently the second most successful deck in the format:

www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/formato.php?fo...[Lor_M10_SoM]

Naya and scapeshift are a 3rd less sucessful. Please do your research in future.

I have been using Star City Games to keep track of results. The format in relation to the US is the most important to me and i would guess other users (since the players need to know what is doing well in the US because those are the decks you will see IN THE US).

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Not all of us live in the US.

If you have good players in your area, they'll be looking at all the resultseta, which means you should be to. If they are bad players, then you have an easy ride anyway.

Also, a lot of these Jund decks ARE in the the US. Most of the results tend to be US, since a lot of european and asian results don't get added to sites as often.
With lorwyn block supposedly rotating, are jund decks expected to go back to broodmates with the loss of demigod of revenge?
------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot