01/06/2011 TD: "Anybody Who's Anybody"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Can anyone tell me what's the specific benefit of Coralhelm Commander in sideboards for the u/w decks?
Saying the same things without unnecessary name dropping would have been better.
Can anyone tell me what's the specific benefit of Coralhelm Commander in sideboards for the u/w decks?

It's a transformational sideboard along with War Priest of Tune desgined in great part to combat Faeries, and other control decks to a lesser extent. You switch from control to aggro-control by taking out the big, clunky, easy to counter Sun Titan and Day of Judgement and bring in the package to combat Bitterblossom and/or slip low-mana threats under countermagic.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
Hey, where's the BoB's shaman deck in this article?  It clearly owns fairies and wargate.  Wink

Re: deathcoil wurm.  Never a good thing when a colorless artifact starts appearing in all the decklists.

It's a transformational sideboard along with War Priest of Tune desgined in great part to combat Faeries, and other control decks to a lesser extent. You switch from control to aggro-control by taking out the big, clunky, easy to counter Sun Titan and Day of Judgement and bring in the package to combat Bitterblossom and/or slip low-mana threats under countermagic.

Ah.. Thanks. It makes some sense in the anti-faerie context!

I honestly have to disagree with with Flores. As much as I respect the man for what he's accomplished as a player and as much as I think he's a great Magic theorist I feel he's dead wrong. Wurmcoil Engine is NOT the best titan in extended. He is NOT better in extended than in standard. Period.

Why? The answer is simple. The text on W. Engine reads "when Wurmcoil Engine is put into the graveyard from the battlefield...". What little spell exists in extended that is no longer in standard that pretty much says you'll never get those tokens?

Path to Exile.

I'm currently preparing for an extended PTQ next month (first one within reasonable driving distance) and i was using Wurmcoil Engine as my primary finisher. However, it became apparent even playing against homebrew decks that Wurmcoil just isn't that useful in extended. An opponent can hold his counter and path your Wurmcoil. You see none of the tokens, gain no life, and could quite likely be tapped out (or at least be unable to play anything else of significance that turn). Essentially, a Path can be considered a 3-to-1 in that regard. sure i get a land, but i just lost my huge finisher.

In my opinion, the best titan in extended is Grave Titan. He and Wurmcoil are both 6/6, so they are both about as equally likely to be countered by a deck such as Fae that packs very little removal that can actually kill it. Against decks that are more reactive (such as Jund, Naya, Mythic post-board) or really anything running Path, Grave titan is superior. If he hits play, you end up with two zombies, regardless of whether they path him or not. Wurmcoil only gives tokens if he hits the graveyard.

Yes, Grave Titan is more vulnerable to DoJ and Celestial Purge. Wurmcoil does force either a removal spell before the DoJ or a double DoJ effect. However, Grave Titan is resistant to many other forms of removal (Doom Blade, Revoke Existence, Naturalise) that Wurmcoil IS vulnerable to. For my deck, Grave Titan just seems to be a better idea. He's a much worse path target, and possibly a horrible Oring target because his trigger goes off when he enters the battlefield.

I also feel Wurmcoil is a bomb in standard, unlike Flores. Grave Titan is currently the bad boy in standard. He is the big finisher in UB control, and I think Wurmcoil trumps him. When Grave titan swings into a wurmcoil, he creates two tokens. Wurmcoil blocks, and they trade. However, Wurmcoil gains you 6 life, and leaves behind two 3/3 tokens. On the next turn, the four zombies swing and you kill two. However, due to the fact one token has lifelink you essentially take 1. Overall, I think Wurmcoil is better in standard strictly because Path is no longer in standard. Nor is Terminate. Yeah, you do have to watch out for double Bolt or for a Doom Blade, but that's about it. I'm actually predicting some UB lists running a combination in the next standard season.

You can all think i'm crazy, but I'm not going to agree with you all on this. Wurmcoil is not that great in extended. He's not bad, but he's far from the best "titan" in extended.