01/06/2011 FtL: "HoliDaze"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I question the overall sensibility of building decks around cards that virtually nobody actually has; deck-building can be fun as just a thought-experiment, but being able to play the deck is nice and we don't really have that option here, save with proxies or third-party software.

If he was going to build around them, though, for shame that he skipped one.  A deck devoted to Gifts Given suggests two things:
1.  Fervor, Primal Rage, and other ways to make the stolen cards (if they're creatures) more effective in your hands than they would be in the "giver's".  The ur-example of course is Akroma's Memorial; perhaps your opponent has a Seething Song to help you cast it?
2.  Any variant of "Sacrifice a something to do a something something".  If your opponent's deck contains no more than two useful cards, you want an outlet for the worthless crap he gives you.  The only card of the sort that comes to my mind offhand is Recurring Nightmare, but legions of others exist of course (some of which are probably from Legions).

Nix getting used makes me happy.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, Season's Beatings is far from guaranteed to kill all of the opponent's creatures; if the randomizer doesn't like you, all but one could survive as it is repeatedly selected as the "another random creature" for every creature that's dealing damage.  Not that this'll matter with Repercussion in the works.  If I was building a Season's Beatings deck, I'd make sure to invest in lots of creatures which interact nicely with damage - True Conviction (or whatever the more reasonably-priced double-strikeless version might be) and Fungus Sliver are examples of appropriate cards.  Given that red has Rituals, the quad-red isn't as big of a multicolor discourager as it would be for most colors (one aspect of the "new red" which I like, even while despising the color's utterly boring burn-aggro mainstream).

I would love to see someone build around Snow Mercy's status as one of the very few tapping enchantments, or even take advantage of the fact that it's the first Snow permanent since Future Sight.  Any ideas?

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I am underwhelmed by this article based on the fact that the holiday cards these decks are built around are incredibly rare and very expensive to get your hands on.
Rules Nut Advisor
I thought this article was pretty cool.  I always wanted a copy of Season's Beatings.  It just strikes the right chord with me.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
The best Evil Present to give would be the Fruitcake Elemental! 
Only if you do it twice and then put a Soul Link on each Elemental and then cast Season's Beatings with no other creatures in play. 
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Why Behemoth Sledge and not Loxodon Warhammer? An indestructible fruity needs power, not toughness.
Sign In to post comments