01/04/2011 SF: "In With the New"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Joseph E.'s Planechase deck is awesome. Was there a Planar deck submitted with his list?
Regarding Jesse's Kavu Predator Deck:

"The cascade cards effectively give you seven Kavu Predators ..."

Where does the seven come from?  There are four Kavu Predator, four Bloodbraid Elf, and four Violent Outburst.  (There are also four Punishing Fire, which like Kavu Predator have a CMC of 2.)

"... and once you get the combo online you can threaten people with Soul's Fire should they try to kill your Kavu."

Except that there is no Soul's Fire in the deck list.

Is Jesse describing a different version of the deck than the one he submitted?  Perhaps one Violent Outburst is supposed to be a Soul's Fire?
@orcishartillery:
4 Violent Outburst can cascade into only either the Kavu or the P-Fire, so each is effectively a half a Kavu. That gives you six (4+2), and if you do the same maths for Bloodbraid Elf, each elf gets a Kavu about a quarter of the time.
Not sure why the Soul's Fire is not on there; I must have messed up when I submitted the decklist. I swear it fit in the 60, but I guess not. I'd probably cut a Grab the Reins for one. Originally I was playing with Lightning Greaves, and if half the time my Kavu was shrouded anyway, so the Soul's Fire didn't work as well.

-Jesse
A similar Light from Within deck was featured by Jacob van Lunen here. I always wanted to try it on mtgo.

re: Jeff van E.'s Budget Tribal deck, Lava Dart would be a neat addition, triggering Kiln Fiend and Wee Dragonaughts on the cheap. Ben Bleiweiss made a similar interesting deck that could be used for further inspiration.

re: Jeff van E.'s Budget Tribal deck, Lava Dart would be a neat addition, triggering Kiln Fiend and Wee Dragonaughts on the cheap. Ben Bleiweiss made a similar interesting deck that could be used for further inspiration.

Jeff van E. reporting here ;)

I think I didn't choose to play Lava Dart in the end because for this format, it seemed better to be sculpting a turn with cards like Distortion Strike and Rift Bolt. That, or I felt lava dart didn't do enough damage. Not sure anymore, but I think it could've fit very well into the deck, maybe even as a replacement to Burst Lightning.
Keep in mind I had to keep to the 20 creatures of 1 tribe rule. I wanted to play Dragonauts, which is off-tribe, so he basically 'costs' 4 slots I would probably otherwise use for more instants and sorceries. It's a shame I never did go to the tournament, because I had a lastminute appointment.

Jeff van E. reporting here ;)

I think I didn't choose to play Lava Dart in the end because for this format, it seemed better to be sculpting a turn with cards like Distortion Strike and Rift Bolt. That, or I felt lava dart didn't do enough damage. Not sure anymore, but I think it could've fit very well into the deck, maybe even as a replacement to Burst Lightning.
Keep in mind I had to keep to the 20 creatures of 1 tribe rule. I wanted to play Dragonauts, which is off-tribe, so he basically 'costs' 4 slots I would probably otherwise use for more instants and sorceries. It's a shame I never did go to the tournament, because I had a lastminute appointment.

Understandable you would want something more powerful. I am not up to date with what is being played in Tribal events. I know Lava Dart could hit elves, goblins, maybe some soldiers and vampires, but mid- to late-game, it doesn't remove blockers well, which is necessary for Kiln Fiend and Unearthed Hellspark Elemental to connect for damage.

Neat deck; definitely something that can be modified further for Archenemy and Planechase fun.

Sign In to post comments