January 2011 Comic: Scarred

24 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of the comic Scarred, which will be published on three successive Thursdays on magicthegathering.com.

the Planeswalkers Koth of the Hammer, Venser, Shaper Savant, and Elspeth Tirel are ...

The plenitude of commas is ambiguous, and a good excuse to use Mr. Semicolon!

"the Planeswalkers Koth of the Hammer; Venser, Shaper Savant; and Elspeth Tirel are ..."
I... can't see any picture beyond the one on the feature article front page. Just texte ("Scarred, Part I : Front Page", "Scarred, Part I : Page 2", and so on). Is this just me or is this a general bug ? Undecided (PS : I'm in France, so this may have something to do with the translated versions not being posted yet or something ?)

EDIT : Yep, that was it. The file FR_MTG_Comic13_Pt1_SCR1.jpg couldn't be found. I changed it manually to EN_MTG_Comic and so on and it displayed correctly, then I changed my language preferences and now all seems to work okay.
It would be better to have the English version displayed by default when no other language is available... It's not as if I couldn't read English, after all. (Well, I guess I'll just leave the language options on "English", but sometimes the well-intended thing sets it up on "French" automatically. Which is cool. When there is a French version.)
"They return. They always return, when I lose everything." - Karn, about the Phyrexians
I... can't see any picture beyond the one on the feature article front page. Just texte ("Scarred, Part I : Front Page", "Scarred, Part I : Page 2", and so on). Is this just me or is this a general bug ? (PS : I'm in France, so this may have something to do with the translated versions not being posted yet or something ?)

You're right. I'm in Portugal and it wasn't working for me. Then I tried to change the language to English (in the bottom of the page) and it worked. No problem for me, since I always read these in English anyway.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, those who don't and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.
I love how Elspeth just gives up at the end.  "I'm...covered in...ichor."  Narmtastic!
Thanks wizards for another web comic. Though I hate to see Elspeth giving up yet again.

She seemed like she was finally going to make a stand. /sigh oh well.

A good way to spend 5 minutes.  Roll on the next instalment.

I... can't see any picture beyond the one on the feature article front page. Just texte ("Scarred, Part I : Front Page", "Scarred, Part I : Page 2", and so on). Is this just me or is this a general bug ? (PS : I'm in France, so this may have something to do with the translated versions not being posted yet or something ?)

You're right. I'm in Portugal and it wasn't working for me. Then I tried to change the language to English (in the bottom of the page) and it worked. No problem for me, since I always read these in English anyway.

Sorry! That was my fault. I believe I have corrected the error, and it should be visible in French, Portuguese, German, Spanish, Italian, and Russion. And also English, unless I broke that while I was fixing the other languages.
Nope, looks like you got it.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Elspeth seriously needs to man up.
Elspeth seriously needs to man up.

No kidding.  "Rah rah, kill all the Phyrexians!" and then she gets zombie blood on her clothes and is all like, "Boohoo, I'm out!".

You guys missed the metal glint in her eyes at the end.  Ive been reading the Urza books and thats how you can tell if they are the bad guys. 
I apologize for being rude, but I will place a link to a current discussion concerning the flaws.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I am not sorry about my own criticisms, but I should have been at least a little gentler.

http://community.wizards.com/thesecretplace If you want to know true power, come to the city. We will show you the way. Insomnium-At the Gates of Sleep. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-6YTW427Io&feature=related
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9px; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:none">erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9px; font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:none" href="http://abmp3.com/download/7360065-mp3.html" rel="nofollow">Gorillaz - Feel good inc.
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9px; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:none">
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9px; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:none">Powered by erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:9px; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:underline" href="http://abmp3.com" rel="nofollow">abmp3 search engine
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:none">erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:none" href="http://abmp3.com/download/1808424-track-6.html" rel="nofollow">DETHKLOK - The Dethalbum - Track 6
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:none">
erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:none">Found at erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:underline" href="http://abmp3.com" rel="nofollow">abmp3 search engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nPeTfeFALk&NR=1
This week's installment is really good, on par with Jenna Helland's original Elspeth comic (which I regard as the single best of these comics by far - this is its first real competition).  I was actually surprised to see Beyer's name in the credits; it's been a long time since he wrote anything even close to this good.  I guess his usual work isn't "bad" so much as "sophomoric"; this one he must have put some serious effort into, and it shows.  The Vulshok chick's speech made me want to cheer, and of course Koth and Venser have great chemistry.  And of course the front page image of Elspeth is just incredibly beautiful.

At this point I will officially commit (money permitting of course) to buying the Mirrodin novel, much as I did with the Zendikar novel after one of the ROE webcomics was comparably good.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Ah I like the artwork for this second episode much better. I agree. Elspeth needs to actually take a stand. Like...right now. I am starting to not be so pround of the Elspeths in my Knight and Bant decks. She's looking more and more cowardly and ruining any credibility she gained in the Alara novel.

Anyways. Yeah the artwork is very nice. keep this artist wizards!

On a mostly unrelated topic, that metal on the Vulshok woman is growing out of her skin right? Hmm, it must really suck to be a Vulshok. To have metal permanently covering all your goodies. I never liked Mirrodin anyways. I wanna go to Bant!
I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason I'm enjoying this latest story a lot more than previous efforts. I've been critical of Beyer in the past, but this is a much more enjoyable showing. 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
the Planeswalkers Koth of the Hammer, Venser, Shaper Savant, and Elspeth Tirel are ...

The plenitude of commas is ambiguous, and a good excuse to use Mr. Semicolon!

"the Planeswalkers Koth of the Hammer; Venser, Shaper Savant; and Elspeth Tirel are ..."

That is not proper use of a semicolon.

In other news . . .

Is it just me, or does Elspeth's backstory seem dreadfully inconsistent?  I was under the impression that Mirrodin was the first plane to host New Phyrexians.  I see only three possibilities that would jive with this:

1)  Elspeth is from Dominaria, and saw Phyrexians spilling through time portals.

2)  Elspeth is far older than she appears, and is actually, like Bolas, an Oldwalker whose spark changed after the mending (or ignited after the mending).

3)  Elspeth is a sleeper agent, but doesn't know it. 
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
The art was a bit jarring to me...certainly more consistent than some issues but still a little on the low-grade side IMO.

The writing stumbled a few times but over-all was SOOOOO much better than most issues.

I hate Elspeth as a character.
The art was a bit jarring to me...certainly more consistent than some issues but still a little on the low-grade side IMO.

Also, I found myself wondering if they paid Angelina Jolie for her cameo on Page 4, or if painting over photos is now considered fair play? Wink
Another good edition.  Looking forward to Part 3.
On a mostly unrelated topic, that metal on the Vulshok woman is growing out of her skin right? Hmm, it must really suck to be a Vulshok. To have metal permanently covering all your goodies. I never liked Mirrodin anyways. I wanna go to Bant!

Maybe the metal IS her "goodies"...it might be as sensitive as skin.  Don't ask questions, it's magic.
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Boy, this week's comic has to be the most content-devoid one ever.  Basically nothing happened.  Would have taken like four sentences to do in text.  I pity the painter.
There are lots of Phyrexians on Mirrodin?

What a twist!
Anyone here read The Quest for Karn before reading the comic?
So far it seems like this comic is just retracing the story of the book but in a much worse way.
All that remains is the magic story overwriting itself and causing plotholes.

Annoying issues pop-up like Geth a major phyrexian leader not knowing where his leader is, and Venser not knowing why Karn would be on Mirrodin, when Karn showed him his creation and as far as Venser knows never left.