"AdventureTools has stopped working"

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys.
I have a problem with my MB install; it's failing to start. I double-click my 'Adventure Tools' shortcut, get the updater saying 'no update available', click on 'Launch Adventure Tools', and after the little splash-logo has been up for a few seconds, a Windows dialog box pops up saying 'AdventureTools has stopped working', 'We are checking for a solution to your problem' etc.
   The annoying part of it is that I used it just a day or so ago to make my first custom monster, and hadn't finished it, so now I can't finish it at all. Any recommendations? Or should I just do an uninstall/reinstall?
...I tried reinstalling the Adventure Tools, but now when I try to update the thing with the latest patch, after it's told me to 'be patient' and the green bar takes 3 hours to load, it now just stops at 100% for hours on end. I've tried cancelling before and it says (on a black screen) something about the servers being down. They've been 'down' for the past few days (as I think another poster mentioned).

I don't really care about the updating, but none of the .exe files in the Adventure Tools folder are the actual Monster Builder application; everything I tried ended in failure. Am I going to have to wait until late January (in reality, probably March) until a working MB ends up on the interweb (and by working I mean reduced to a simple kiddy beta like what happened to the CB)??
Finally got the bloody thing to update, only for it to have the same problem as before. I'm beginning to suspect it has something to do with the system clock, since it's only been this way since I tried to use it in 2011... and I've seen other rumours on other boards to that effect. One wonders why nobody else seems to have this problem with their MB...

I've reinstalled the adventure tools, installed .net framework 3.5 sp1 again even though I have .net framework 4.0 installed and it worked fine with that before, and yet nothing works!! thanks WotC for making brilliant fully bug-tested software...
There are mentions of system clocks triggering issues. You might try changing it back to a different time, assuming it isn't an issue where your clock has an incorrect time.

I decided to apply the latest update for my laptop. It seemed to have problems updating and I would just close the program or cancel the update. Tonight (Jan 2) I let it sit there updating while I did something else and it finished the update correctly. So, it doesn't seem to be a simple "2011 not supported", but could be something with the system clock (I changed my setting to allow the clock to auto-update, so perhaps that did the trick).

I do suggest you open a ticket with support. That is the best way to have WotC learn about your issue and offer help. The forums are not support, though users may offer advice.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

There are mentions of system clocks triggering issues. You might try changing it back to a different time, assuming it isn't an issue where your clock has an incorrect time.

I decided to apply the latest update for my laptop. It seemed to have problems updating and I would just close the program or cancel the update. Tonight (Jan 2) I let it sit there updating while I did something else and it finished the update correctly. So, it doesn't seem to be a simple "2011 not supported", but could be something with the system clock (I changed my setting to allow the clock to auto-update, so perhaps that did the trick).

I do suggest you open a ticket with support. That is the best way to have WotC learn about your issue and offer help. The forums are not support, though users may offer advice.

The system clock has already been set to auto update... On a past successful updated version I tried running the MB with the system clock set back to 30th december, no beans. I found the folder in my Program Files folder and there are 2 .exe files in there... the first one in the root folder called AdventureTools.exe runs for a few seconds, and then hangs on the splash screen saying 'AdventureTools has stopped working'. In this folder, however, is another folder called AdventureToolsFull_p. In there, the same .exe file (AdventureTools.exe) runs until the 'selection screen' (with the 1 filled and 4 blank circles). Clicking 'Monster Builder' seems like it works, until about 10 seconds later, when the same crash happens again. It's really frustrating...

If I look at the delivered desktop shortcut, it is:
"C:\Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Adventure Tools\CharacterBuilderUpdater.exe" RealCharacterBuilderUpdater.exe app.config

You could try creating a shorcut with that as the target.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

If I look at the delivered desktop shortcut, it is:
"C:\Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Adventure Tools\CharacterBuilderUpdater.exe" RealCharacterBuilderUpdater.exe app.config

You could try creating a shorcut with that as the target.

I have that shortcut on my desktop too... what'd making another shortcut to that same address do? Currently I'm in the middle of another massive half-day updating session since I reinstalled it again... it's been stuck at 100% progress for many hours but maybe it'll finish at some point...

The real problem will be when the updating finally finishes, it'll be crashing all over the place (most likely). If it happens then I'll open up a ticket with the customer support guys...
Ah, sorry. From what you wrote about exe files I thought you had lost the original shortcut.

I do think you should open a ticket. I get a crash only every now and then, right when it starts, and I just click on the icon again to start it back up. I don't recall getting any crashes after the tool has started.

Keep in mind you don't need the latest update as it doesn't add much. You will want to update if you installed from the initial version.

Ah, sorry. From what you wrote about exe files I thought you had lost the original shortcut.

I do think you should open a ticket. I get a crash only every now and then, right when it starts, and I just click on the icon again to start it back up. I don't recall getting any crashes after the tool has started.

Keep in mind you don't need the latest update as it doesn't add much. You will want to update if you installed from the initial version.

I installed from the version which installs itself when you click 'learn more' on the tools page for the compendium. Doing the launcher from that blanks out the option of 'launch adventure tools' since it wants me to install the bloody update, which I'm sure has been going for around 9 hours by now and still won't finish. I'm really annoyed at it since it was working perfectly fine before New Year.

It finally finished updating again, but this time no 'launch adventure builder' click was available... sure enough, in the Adventure Tools folder in my program files there's no 'AdventureTools.exe'. The only place to find one was in the 'AdventureToolsFull_p' folder. And it still crashed. Sent in a ticket to customer support... I was told 'thanks for the bug, we'll tell our devs, you probably won't hear from us again'. Well, thanks a bloody bunch. Stuck with a broken MB forever.
That's not encouraging, since I just submitted a ticket for the exact same problem, except I JUST subscribed to DDI, so I haven't even got to play with it once yet. 

After downloading and installing the Adventure Tools, I tried to open it only to get sent into the same Download Update Death Loop you got.  Hope I get a response from Customer Service...
-Alveric "And the sword that had visited Earth from so far away smote like the falling of thunderbolts; and green sparks rose from the armour, and crimson as sword met sword; and thick elvish blood moved slowly, from wide slits, down the cuirass; and Lirazel gazed in awe and wonder and love; and the combatants edged away fighting into the forest; and branches fell on them hacked off by their fight; and the runes in Alveric's far-travelled sword exulted, and roared at the elf-knight; until in the dark of the wood, amongst branches severed from disenchanted trees, with a blow like that of a thunderbolt riving an oak tree, Alveric slew him."
That's not encouraging, since I just submitted a ticket for the exact same problem, except I JUST subscribed to DDI, so I haven't even got to play with it once yet. 

After downloading and installing the Adventure Tools, I tried to open it only to get sent into the same Download Update Death Loop you got.  Hope I get a response from Customer Service...

Well mate, if I get any more info from them I'll let you know here. If you get any more out of them than I did, I'll be surprised... but we can hope. It's a wonderful resource, once it bloody works. Let us know if they give you anything but 'our devs might say something...'
I'm going to be helping as a volunteer guide in the MB forums. I'll see if I can get some awareness for the issue.

If you are lurking but have the same issue, please speak up and share your particulars (and, also, please open a ticket if you have not done so - more tickets will mean more attention).

If you solved the issue, please post on what may have resolved the issue.

Edit: So far, this has been the post that helped me the most.

not sure if I have the same error, I opened the adventure tools and it gave me an error and close, so I opened he old Character Builder see if it was working and, yes it worked. I tried the adventure tools  twice and it worked each time. Here hoping it was that simple!! 
Just posting a regular bump... I've noticed an interesting thing though. In the Adventure Tools folder, there's an AdventureTools.exe file which when launched, crashes within a few seconds. However, in the AdventureToolsFull_p folder there's another AdventureTools.exe folder which actually manages to open the window in which we select the (one existing) adventure tool, the Monster Builder. Only when clicking that does the hourglass turn for about 10-15 seconds before crashing in the exact same way.

Still no response to the ticket from any devs or anyone else... I'll keep posting here until it fixes itself or until I get a response from them that solves it.
You can also respond to the ticket and ask them to follow up.

"I appreciate your forwarding my crash information to the developers. However, could you also provide guidance on what I might try? I am unable to use the tool at all and this reduces the value of my DDi subscription significantly."

Something like that might help.

You can also respond to the ticket and ask them to follow up.

"I appreciate your forwarding my crash information to the developers. However, could you also provide guidance on what I might try? I am unable to use the tool at all and this reduces the value of my DDi subscription significantly."

Something like that might help.

I've just sent them a message asking for more updates, since in attempting to reinstall (again) I've expired my 5 updates per month and am stuck without any AdventureTools.exe file to even try fixing.
Just received a message from support saying it's probably due to a corrupt file, and they recommend a full uninstall and reinstall... just to clarify, how does one do a full uninstall?

a regular uninstall + delete the associated folders

(if you were adament about it, also delete all registry entries which programs should not leave behind, but as in many things, people never seem quite so eager to clean up after themselves...)

The above part is not required for your purposes. You just uninstall and delete the folders. Download a new file. Do a computer restart. Install again with the new file.

a regular uninstall + delete the associated folders

(if you were adament about it, also delete all registry entries which programs should not leave behind, but as in many things, people never seem quite so eager to clean up after themselves...)

The above part is not required for your purposes. You just uninstall and delete the folders. Download a new file. Do a computer restart. Install again with the new file.

Indeed, but I'm not sure where Windows 7 (64-bit) keeps the associated temp files/folders for Adventure Tools. The FAQ stuff (wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg... here) mentions several filepaths but they're not valid for Win7...
Check for any shortcuts and follow those locations. Check in Program Files. Check in the User Documents areas. Search for Monster Builder, DDI, Wizards, and Character Builder in file explorer.

You may also want to search your registry and delete keys. Always make a backup.

Also, back up any custom monsters you made, if any!

Check for any shortcuts and follow those locations. Check in Program Files. Check in the User Documents areas. Search for Monster Builder, DDI, Wizards, and Character Builder in file explorer.

You may also want to search your registry and delete keys. Always make a backup.

Also, back up any custom monsters you made, if any!

Did all that (though I'm thinking I may've forgotten temp files), re-downloaded installer which downloaded the .msi file immediately (hence thinking I forgot to delete temp files), running the updater now which ran remarkably quickly through the green bar in 2 minutes for the first time ever, but now is typically stuck at the end for 20 minutes now. Hopefully it'll finish, and I'll try, and see if it works. If not, berserk time and temp file deletion time...
Finally succeeded! Monster Builder works fine now, all's good... seems like it was some corrupted files after all.
Awesome! I'll post this over on the other thread.

Awesome! I'll post this over on the other thread.

It all works great now, can get back to making my solo controller Thanks for everyone for their help, especially Alphastream :D
My pleasure. Thanks for posting and sticking with it. Hopefully your steps help others as well.

Okay, so I'm having the same problem. I've uninstalled and deleted folders and reinstalled and still it gets caught up on 100% Downloaded, but not doing a thing. I just bought DDI today, and actually got it specifically for this because I was nominated to run the next game. What exactly should I try next.
Thanks.
Okay, so I'm having the same problem. I've uninstalled and deleted folders and reinstalled and still it gets caught up on 100% Downloaded, but not doing a thing. I just bought DDI today, and actually got it specifically for this because I was nominated to run the next game. What exactly should I try next.
Thanks.

Sorry to hear it!

Please do open a ticket with support and check the FAQ link above and the other similar thread. I'm just volunteering on my spare time... which is low this and next week.

Have you checked the system clock issue to see if your clock is auto-updated from the Internet?

I will open a ticket, though I'm not sure how to check the system clock issue... I'm not even sure I know what you're talking about. Not a very computer literate guy.
I will open a ticket, though I'm not sure how to check the system clock issue... I'm not even sure I know what you're talking about. Not a very computer literate guy.

Double or right-click on your system clock in the lower right side of your PC. In Vista, I click once to get the date to grow larger and click on the "change date and time settings" link. There is an "Internet Time" tab where you can change the settings and make sure it is enable.

Ah, okay thanks, yeah it's automatically updated by a website or something. I followed the steps in the troubleshooter, but it's now telling me I'm used too many installs...
Do mention that in your support ticket and I think they can reset it for you.

Thanks for your help, I mentioned that in the email and they gave me three more installs... unfortunately none of them worked either. They sent me an email saying it was being looked at by someone else now and they would get back to me. *sigh*
Thanks for your help, I mentioned that in the email and they gave me three more installs... unfortunately none of them worked either. They sent me an email saying it was being looked at by someone else now and they would get back to me. *sigh*

Let me know if you get it to work... I tried all the stuff recommended by Product Support when they responded to my ticket... no go.   I'm not a computer idiot, but I just don't have the patience just to try to get the MB working. Adjusting monster levels manually on paper is a lot easier, using the latest errata...

There wouldn't happen to be a web-based Monster Builder (like CB) in the works, by any chance? (That would eliminate the need for me to configure my Windows 7 laptop to Adventure Tools' specific required system settings.)
-Alveric "And the sword that had visited Earth from so far away smote like the falling of thunderbolts; and green sparks rose from the armour, and crimson as sword met sword; and thick elvish blood moved slowly, from wide slits, down the cuirass; and Lirazel gazed in awe and wonder and love; and the combatants edged away fighting into the forest; and branches fell on them hacked off by their fight; and the runes in Alveric's far-travelled sword exulted, and roared at the elf-knight; until in the dark of the wood, amongst branches severed from disenchanted trees, with a blow like that of a thunderbolt riving an oak tree, Alveric slew him."
The reason why the MB has all these errors is because there is a new online version being developed. Beta for this new version is supposed to start pretty soon.

The reason why the MB has all these errors is because there is a new online version being developed. Beta for this new version is supposed to start pretty soon.

Keyword "Soon"
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I just purchased a DDI account, had a different one a while ago.  Figured I'd come back, and so far I've had nothing but disappointment.  If they move to an online Adventure Tools as well, I'm through with ever getting another DDI Subscription.  The offline tools help me, I spend hours a day traveling and I used that time to do things like: read, write, and work on my campaigns.  I have no internet access during that time.  A few months ago, my adventure tools worked, now I get to the monster builder selection, click on it, and I cannot get it running.  I have wiped my system free of temp files, folders, anything I could find related to adventure tools, and then did the reinstall, I get the exact same error.  After the december updates, the first time, I was able to use it.  Then nada.  I am running Windows 7 64-bit, but I was a few months back too.

If someone can give me a one-stop shop list of things to do, I'll see how it compares and try again.  Thanks.  For example:

1) Uninstall Adventure tools.
2) Delete folder temp in user accounts.
3) Delete Wizads from x:\
4) etc

I will try again if someone's kind enough to post a list of what they did and got it working.
I've pretty much had the same problem for the past 2 months.  I opened up Adventure Tools, clicked on the Monster Builder icon and it loads for a few seconds before it crashed.

Character Builder worked fine with no problems.

I did create a support ticket and they just sent me identical list of "troubleshooting options" over and over again.  Apparently sending it to me as a Word Doc, pdf and then again as a website link is their idea of exploring all the options.  It wasn't until I told them 3 times that I had done every troubleshooting option when they came back and said, "Looks like it's a problem with Microsoft Framework" and left it at that.

I then tried a fresh install on my laptop.  I installed the proper Framework.  Installed the software and downloaded the updates and it also crashed repeatedly on my laptop.  No other Wizards software was installed on my computer beforehand.

I've tried removing every trace of it on my PC.  Unfortunately, the Character Builder software is now no longer available as I had hoped uninstalling that software might resolve the issue with Monster Builder.  So now I no longer have any Adventure Tool software installed on my system as I refuse to give Wizards anymore money before they get these bugs fixed.  I've tried this in the past -- I give them money, I can login for the update to Adventure Tools, it hangs on the download for a few hours and once it's finally done updating, it crashes when I try to startup.  Not only that, but even when I chose to pay for only one single month of a subscription, it automatically subscribes me for monthly billing until I go back in and cancel it.

I do not like the online Character Builder.  The local standalone version worked perfectly fine.  I am extremely disappointed with not only the product, but the support.
I can only recommend keeping at it with support while reading the various threads where people have suggested things to do. To the list you provided I would add registry entries and your documents folders. There can be often two folders in the Program Files (one nested in the other) and both should be cleaned out. You can also check the clock issue, which seems to correspond to the update never finishing (but doesn't seem to be the only issue).

I've had problems and been able to overcome them (mine seemed to be the clock issue). I do think having a working offline MB is pretty useful, so it is worth keeping at it.

The only thing that I can think to do is uninstall .net 4 and 3.5 and then try to install 3.5 SP1 by itself, and from there try Adventure Tools.  If that doesn't work, than I have no more reasons to pay for my DDI subscription except iPlay4e requiring it for Compendium usage (but I just leave the old CB open now) and they've already lost my money for any books they don't support with the standalone tools.  Wizards is making me want to run an Eclipse Phase game, because that's an exciting system, or something else... anything else.  At least those companies don't actively try and thwart third party developers who want to improve the gaming experience, even if they aren't developing their own bug ridden code projects.  It's ridiculous, all of the people I know who wanted to work for Wizards decided against it because of their policies regarding project management and paying ridiculously low but expecting a lot for coders.  So, I'm not surprised, I'm just disheartened by the current trends wizard is showing in their subscription and I'd rather use free tools if this is how it's going to work.
I seem to be having a diferent problem. For a while I couldn't even install or launch the monster builder. someone suggested that I check my character builder for some reason so I opened it and it looked like it did the last update. I was then able to load the monster builder, but when I tried to use it I got a spinning hourglass for about 20 seconds and then a message that monster builder had stopped working.
I have compleatly wiped the monster builder from my system and reloaded three times and I got the same result each time.
Any suggestions, short of removing character builder and trying again?
(Removing character builder is NOT an option. I have more than the 20 characters they will let you store online).
Thanks
-Erich