Gamma World - rather disappointing

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am a little disappointed that all WoC is doing with Gamma world is updating all the old modules to 4 edition rules.

Except for some online content there is nothing really original here. The Alternity version at least took a stab at originality.
Folcwyn of Sharn I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I am a little disappointed that all WoC is doing with Gamma world is updating all the old modules to 4 edition rules.

Except for some online content there is nothing really original here. The Alternity version at least took a stab at originality.

Wanna sell your stuff?  peelseel2 at yahoo you know what.

Yes, the modules are new versions of classic Gamma World content. However, from what I understand, they aren't just "ports" of the old modules, but rather remakes - New takes on the same, or similar, situations.

Plus, the adventures are the smallest, least important part of the boxes - The rules, origins, cards, and enhancements to the game are the big parts, and honestly, most groups will only run through the box adventures once, if at all, so why bother doing totally new adventures when you have hilarious source material to draw from? It's nice to see WotC going back into their history and drawing up some old things for people to experience again! I'd love to see them do this more with D&D, for example.
Y... I'd love to see them do this more with D&D, for example.

Right on!
Y... I'd love to see them do this more with D&D, for example.

Right on!

Seriously. I love what Mike Mearls and Chris Sims have done with The Keep on the Borderlands. It's not a port of the original, but a fresh take on it, bringing all the original aspects of it forward, but fleshing everything out in a new way. I'd love to see more. I updated the U-series modules to 4e, myself, but that was more of a direct port. I really should go back and rewrite it as fresh 4e adventures.

Really, I thought the open ended character creation, very refreshing.  I also thought the Big Mistake and the convergence of multiple possible infinite universes left open ended also rather refreshing. 

Instead of well defined post apocolyptic character arch types and world histories we are given broad ideas and licence to use our imagination to fill in the rest.   Insead of the rules defining the world, gms and players do it.  I find it refreshing if not original.  Our group thourghly enjoyed playing and finishing the Iron King.  The Famine in Fargo adventure is far more original, meshing themes from the original FiF, the classic AD&D module Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and the new D&D Gamma World rpg. They also hit a good mark on standard sci fi themes aliens, alien spore, alien spore zombies, mutant chickens, mutant corn, insane AI and Gamma World strangeness with a sentient Ficus Tree as the elected leader of Fargo. 
This version of Gamma World struck with me more than previous versions.  I have loved the concept of Gamma World through it's various iterations.  This is the first version I could see running constantly.  I can plop Castle Zagyg right dab into Gamma Terra and it would be fine.  I can have The Walking Dead, Alpha Complex, and Logans Run all on Gamma Terra.  This Gamma World is very old school in it's approach.  When players roll up their characters in 10 minutes and I tell them to describe it to the group they use their imagination!!  They use their imagination!!  That is something that the old school D&D games did.  They forced you to IMAGINE!  Now, we have Gamma World 4e, a sisinct system that makes the players and DM use their imagination!

That is all for now.  Happy New Year!!  5 Shots of Yeager, 2 Shots of Sailor Dans Rum, and Boobs from 4 different women.  Makes a good new year!! 
of all the things to knock this version of gamma world for lacking originality isn't really high on my list. they have a handful of the old monsters and are doing these homages to the old modules, but the contrast between this version and the others is pretty stark. stylistically it's way more tounge and cheek than even the quirkiness of previous editions, there was a pretty obvious effort to make this the most streamlined version to date, and they threw in the card collecting aspect to top it all off. for better or worse, there's enough originality.

the most pervasive criticisms seem to be that it's too original, breaking from the more reserved silliness from the more serious of some of the other editions. the two famine's in fargo are only superficially similar. the first thing i noticed was new gamma world is very rules/realisim lite by comparison. i don't mind that so much, but doing that has taken a chunk out of the immersion for me as it just doesn't seem as detailed. i'm just a sucker for extra fluff and nit picking traveling mechanics. they have daily rations and other stuff sitting in their equipment list, i don't know how to handle basic things like eatting, sleeping, and weather. they have a skycycle, i don't know anything about mount rules. as DM i suppose i could just make it up as i go along, but that seems kinda arbitrary. i've just now gotten some ideas to make bartering relevant, but who knows how successful that will be.
Instead of well defined post apocolyptic character arch types and world histories we are given broad ideas and licence to use our imagination to fill in the rest.   Insead of the rules defining the world, gms and players do it.

that's one way to look at it. maybe i've just got a glass half empty point of view, but sometimes less is actually less.
They forced you to IMAGINE!  Now, we have Gamma World 4e, a sisinct system that makes the players and DM use their imagination!

i'm dming for a group that has no experience whatsoever with this style of gaming and i thought, given the streamlined ruleset and shake 'n bake character creation, it would be an easier way to get them into it all. it has for me as the DM, but a lot of this "left to their own imagination" stuff has created a number of instances where it feels like the group has been thrown into the deep end. i think the lack of structure in certain areas has sort of pushed the roleplaying to the backburner with my group. they tend to see "heavy two handed melee" instead of "steel chair wrapped in barbwire" and i'm clueless as how to help steer that towards the latter.
...as DM i suppose i could just make it up as i go along, but that seems kinda arbitrary....

That's pretty much how I learned to Dm.  When I first discovered Gamma World there were no rules for that stuff, you had to make it up.  The 4e resolution give a good frame work to resolve most situations, and make it up, yet still seemingly arbitrary.  But despite that a good and confident Gm should be ready to make such seemingly arbitrary decisions exciting and fun.

They forced you to IMAGINE!  Now, we have Gamma World 4e, a sisinct system that makes the players and DM use their imagination!

i'm dming for a group that has no experience whatsoever with this style of gaming and i thought, given the streamlined ruleset and shake 'n bake character creation, it would be an easier way to get them into it all. it has for me as the DM, but a lot of this "left to their own imagination" stuff has created a number of instances where it feels like the group has been thrown into the deep end. i think the lack of structure in certain areas has sort of pushed the roleplaying to the backburner with my group. they tend to see "heavy two handed melee" instead of "steel chair wrapped in barbwire" and i'm clueless as how to help steer that towards the latter.

Give them examples, ideas on how what a good heavy two-handed melee weapon would be for thier character. Eventually they will get it and develop thier own ideas.  They may even change thier heavy two handed melee weapon from a steel chair wrapped in barbedwire to an ancient steel poled stop sign wraped in barbed wire from one session to the next, until they get something they like.  There new at it, give them time to develop thier ideas.  Also, give them examples.  

They're more recycling the name of the old modules.  The stories are pretty different.  The whole Gamma Terra setting is also radically different, because they changed the nature of the Apocalypse and moved it to 2012 (go Mayan calendar).   So there's plenty of original-to-the-franchise stuff in the latest version. 

Not 'original' in the broader or stricter sense, but very little is.

GW had been running prettymuch 50/50 decent/suck.  1st, 2nd & 4th were decent, 3rd (MSH), 5th (Alternity), and 6th (d20) sucked.  This 7th ed is actually true to the spirit of Gamma World, even if it is a little slapdash and errs on the 'wahoo' side.  It's definitely not 'just' a re-print updated to D&D 4e rules.  The franchise is ahead of the game, for the moment.  ;)  

...well, unless you count Gammarauders... but, then, you'd have to count OmegaWorld, too....

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

1st, 2nd & 4th were decent, 3rd (MSH), 5th (Alternity), and 6th (d20) sucked

Personally I liked 3rd best of all the versions (once they released the free pamphlet fixing it).  The setting felt solid and the modules were packed with good stuff.  4th was a close second though.

I'm still not sure where I would rank the current edition.  Have to experience it more.  I'm definitely happier with it then the last two though.

I'm definitely happier with it then the last two though.

Smile Word!Couldn't agree more that d20 version was funky!