MPR a thing of the past....

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I got the mail today, saw my Reward cards, always a great way to start an afternoon!  Then the downer; the letter that read "Wizards of the Coast has decided to eliminate the Magic Player Rewards Program."  Nice.  "It is important to us to provide you, the player, with the best possible Magic: The Gathering experiences. In this case we are redirecting these resources to increase our player support for local organized play programs."  Whatever.  WotC is adding to their profit margin.  I highly doubt there will be any changes at the local shop.  Let's face it; free cards were the top reason to head dwon-town to play.  It's MUCH more convenient to meet at a home and play; there is food, entertainment etc.  Who cares about being ranked?  The average player doesn't care.  Out of the 2 dozen or so regulars, there were only 2 who kept track of that stuff.  The rest of us did it for the cards.  It's exciting to see what you get, and the textless ones are sweet.  Like having multiple Christmas'.  (Yes, I know that you'll still get some card at FNM, not the same.)  So thanks WotC, it was fun while it lasted.  I'll wait with bated breathe to see the great changes in our local shop, that is if we're not all playing at home on Friday night.

"Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits."
... Whatever.  WotC is adding to their profit margin.  I highly doubt there will be any changes at the local shop...

I talked to WOTC about this when the change was announced a few months back and have kept in contact with them since.  What they are doing is adding all sorts of other sweet swag and prizes to tournaments.  

As a T.O. I get to see the stuff a little sooner than most other people, and you should know that your local store should have received a kit to spice up the store for the Phyrexia & Mirrian battles.  The kit included window clings, signs, 10 sided poison dice, a banner, card boxes, and other assorted items.  This kind of kit is something they could not do before do to costs.

I know the loss of MPR is a disappointment to us all, but I think they do have some great things in store for the coming year.  I would wait on judging their actions until we can see the full scale of the changes and then look back and see which player rewards system is better.

Happy New Year! 
~James Fields T.O. & Judge. Check out the New Tournament Organizer's Handbook.
... Whatever.  WotC is adding to their profit margin.  I highly doubt there will be any changes at the local shop...

I talked to WOTC about this when the change was announced a few months back and have kept in contact with them since.  What they are doing is adding all sorts of other sweet swag and prizes to tournaments.  

As a T.O. I get to see the stuff a little sooner than most other people, and you should know that your local store should have received a kit to spice up the store for the Phyrexia & Mirrian battles.  The kit included window clings, signs, 10 sided poison dice, a banner, card boxes, and other assorted items.  This kind of kit is something they could not do before do to costs.

I know the loss of MPR is a disappointment to us all, but I think they do have some great things in store for the coming year.  I would wait on judging their actions until we can see the full scale of the changes and then look back and see which player rewards system is better.

Happy New Year! 

Please tell me your kidding. Are you just now getting into magic? Store get crap like window clings and deck boxes for all sorts of events. We use to get deck boxes and dice  for Game Days at my old store. They were completely able to do this before, cost has never been an issue for a company who has a secondary market value of almost 100x the cost to print a card (Thanks Jace, the Mind Sculptor)

Oh and for all you who don't believe me that WoTC sees profit on the secondary market, believe that they do. It breaks down to something as simple as this: You buy a booster pack for $4, say you open a Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Now you go and sell that card for ( and now for the sake of argument were just going to say) $104. So now you make $100 profit. You decide to try your luck again and buy a booster box. So what cost WoTC $0.01 to make just put roughly $100 in their pocket. WoTC benefits from the secondary market, that is the only reason why they made Mythic Rares and the only reason they don't put good cards in pre-cons.

@jfslicer You talk as if you believe everything that comes out of the mouths of the WoTC customer Service. That's cool that your a TO good for you, that doesn't mean your status somehow makes you more knowledgable. The last thing you should be doing is justifying WoTC's actions to us. You don't work for them. Try to understand where the rest of us are coming from. Something as simple as a few cards a few time a year was not that big of a deal for Wizards, and now they took that little ray of sunshine we had left and stomped it out.

What they are doing is adding all sorts of other sweet swag and prizes to tournaments.  your local store should have received a kit to spice up the store for the Phyrexia & Mirrian battles.  The kit included window clings, signs, 10 sided poison dice, a banner, card boxes, and other assorted items.  This kind of kit is something they could not do before do to costs.

If they are adding more and better free cards for participation, that's cool.  But window clings, signs, and  banners... that is advertising, pure and simple.  Like I said elsewhere, I'm not going to the card shop to get another foil Fling.  We'll play at home.

"Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits."
Please tell me your kidding. Are you just now getting into magic? Store get crap like window clings and deck boxes for all sorts of events. We use to get deck boxes and dice  for Game Days at my old store. They were completely able to do this before, cost has never been an issue for a company who has a secondary market value of almost 100x the cost to print a card (Thanks Jace, the Mind Sculptor)

@jfslicer You talk as if you believe everything that comes out of the mouths of the WoTC customer Service. That's cool that your a TO good for you, that doesn't mean your status somehow makes you more knowledgable. The last thing you should be doing is justifying WoTC's actions to us. You don't work for them. Try to understand where the rest of us are coming from. Something as simple as a few cards a few time a year was not that big of a deal for Wizards, and now they took that little ray of sunshine we had left and stomped it out.

I neither argued for or against the decision to shut down MPR.  I merely argued that we should wait until we see the result of the decision before we judge it.  

I did not argue that I was somehow more knowledgeable; but I do get to see things before magic players sometimes.  I thought the kit would be a good example of what they are doing and an indication that there is more to come.

It seems there are always people attacking Wizards whenever they make a decision.  Everyone sees the negative (because it takes little effort), but no one looks to what they could do through it.  No one waits see how the decision will play out and affect Magic in the long run.  For instance, the M10 rules changes had many people up in arms.  "Loss of Mana burn?  Gang blocking?  WTF?"  Wizards stated goal with those changes was to see an increase in magic players.  And within the year, we saw a huge increase in the numbers of magic players.  

I'm not trying to justify their decision, I'll miss MPR too.  I like full art textless cards.  I am merely saying that we should all take a moment and watch what Wizards does with the money they're getting from MPR.  If they send it back to the players in another form, then we can evaluate that.  If not, then there really is reason to be upset.
~James Fields T.O. & Judge. Check out the New Tournament Organizer's Handbook.