What to do with Omega Tech cards when resuming an adventure?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Assume for the moment that you are playing a Gamma World adventure over the course of multiple game sessions. What do you the heroes (players) do with their current Omega Tech cards at the end of a session?

For example, one session ends with a hero having 3 Omega Tech cards. When play resumes (the next week, for example), does that hero:
(a) get those same 3 Omega Tech cards,
(b) get 3 random Omega Tech cards, or
(c) start the session (and therefore, every session) with random 1 Omega Tech card no matter how many Omega Tech cards that he (the hero) had previously?

This same question could be asked regarding the longevity (or lack thereof, if [c] above is the correct answer) of Omega Tech cards between adventures.
If it's the same characters and the same adventure, just a different session, they keep the Omega Tech they had from the previous sessions. Especially if it's a continuation.

Omega Tech is handled differently from Alpha Mutations. Omega Tech does not change between Encounters.
Omega Tech does not change between Encounters.

...And what about between Adventures?
A campaign is a series of adventures using the same characters. If the characters haven't changed, why should your Omega Tech?

Unless you would like them to be random each time, I'd say they keep their Omega Tech until they don't want it or they lose it somehow.
I have them write down their Omega Tech on their character sheets at the end of the session (there's a space for that on the sheets I made). Then at the start, I sort through and hand out the right cards to them.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
I have my cards in card sleeves and my character sheets in sheet protectors so I have 2 solutions:

1. I place the Omega tech cards in the sheet protector with the pplayers character sheet (and other scraps and pages)

2. If I need those cards inbetween sessions, I place a note with the character name in the card sleeve (text side) so that I remember who had that card.
Reading through the core rulebook (pg. 15 & pgs. 66-69) I would assume that one keeps thier Omega Tech cards as long as A. they still have a charge, or B. they are salvaged. As far as gameplay management, both Oraibi & Delphmonk's systems seem efficient.

The obvious thing to do is to retain Omega tech across sessions.

If you do have a long perior of downtime and/or a party re-org between adventures, though, it wouldn't be unreasonable to discard Omega tech and start the first session of the new adventure with a random Omega tech each.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

What do you the heroes (players) do with their current Omega Tech cards at the end of a session?

The custom character sheets posted here have a place to jot down what they had so they can pick it up next time. I've just been letting them retain them since it says there's no real limit to how much omega tech they can have readied. The vehicle omega tech has kept me on my toes, realistically they probably shouldn't be able to sneak around with the minitank on the third floor of a building.

I'm going to definately have to scale back on letting them find omega tech under every rock though. The last few encounters went way too easily for my players. I'm going to have to bump the monsters level or add more or something, at least until they burn through some of the more powerful omega tech in their stockpile.
Omega Tech can be an issue.  The randomness of Alpha Mutations is fun and all, and each one sticks around for an encounter.  Omega Tech can stick around for several in a row, and, if it's from a player deck, and a relatively small one, can come back even after he finally fails his charge check.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I have them write down their Omega Tech on their character sheets at the end of the session (there's a space for that on the sheets I made). Then at the start, I sort through and hand out the right cards to them.

Is there a link to your custom character sheets. I think that the ones that come in the box are missing a few things (like a place for level and XP).

Is there a link to your custom character sheets. I think that the ones that come in the box are missing a few things (like a place for level and XP).

Yep, right here:

boldpueblo.com/dazed/2010/12/gamma-world...

There's a bug in the B&W folio that I need to fix -- it's missing the label for "Interaction" below Charisma. I'll try to get that fixed later today.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Omega Tech can be an issue.  The randomness of Alpha Mutations is fun and all, and each one sticks around for an encounter.  Omega Tech can stick around for several in a row, and, if it's from a player deck, and a relatively small one, can come back even after he finally fails his charge check.

I've already run into a few omega tech that have seemingly at-will powers. Before we started I was just under the assumption they were all encounter powers, but apparently not. And the combos that can be strung together with the alpha mutations, forget about it. My group lost a character in the first encounter, but didn't break a sweat during the boss fight at all.

I'm going to definately have to scale back on letting them find omega tech under every rock though. The last few encounters went way too easily for my players. ..,

That was something I thought I would do the next time we play.  We played through the entire Iron King adventure and boy is the party loaded.  Most of them have not been shy about using there omega tech, as often as they can.  Although I have a few horders in the group.  One guy went from post apocalyptic ghetto sheik too super science saavy, complete with electro flail and mk1power armor in from first to second level.

I can't say i am concerned about that.  Hording and not using omega tech is an issue I have.  If you got it use it, I say.  I think for most omega tech, if a player knows he will get it again, he'll use it.  That is why I look forward to using player decks. 

I must say, both alpha mutations and omega tech have had huge effects in the outcome of encounters.  An overcharged teleportation alpha mutation, had the entire party of 8, teleport past the laser mesh in the Iron King adventure, effectivly by passing the challenge and nullifying the rocket robots most effective attack.   A critical hit by a hand rocket followed by a hit by a fusion rifle, left the Iron King with 10 hit points before the end of the first round in the final encounter of the Ironn King.  The cat finished him off with a psychic assault before the end of round one.  But both encounters were determined by the use of alpha mutation cards or omega tech cards.  But I think that is how it should be, imo.
Hording isn't a big deal - the player may have a bunch of cards, but if he's not using them, who cares.   But, as long as you make that slightly-better-than-50/50 charge check, you keep the card.  One player had a mini-tank all through first level, for instance, because he kept making the damn charge check.   He didn't lose it until I arbitrarily took away all the party's tech when they were captured by a Cryptic Alliance.  It's still going to come back as soon as he draws it out of his player deck again.  It's not even the most annoying/broken of omega tech cards... 

But, while I'm running at a store, I'm not going to get all radical with the house rules - a couple of my players do buy cards, so I'd be doing our hosts a disservice if I discouraged that.  :shrug: 

If I ever get around to running a home game, though, I definitely won't be using Omega player decks, instead I'll place Omega Tech as I see fit.

went from post apocalyptic ghetto sheik too super science saavy

^ that's a whole lot of amazing packed into a couple phrases, love the way you put that. i may have to steal that as a recruiting pitch for new players.

"Go from post apocalyptic ghetto sheik to super science saavy in Gamma World!"
Hording isn't a big deal - the player may have a bunch of cards, but if he's not using them, who cares.   ...

This is where we have a difference in opinion, a horded card never played is just no fun.  IMO, the cards are ment to add drama.  I have seen alpha mutations and omega tech be the difference in many encounters.  I think that is how it should be.  But a horded card, never played is just a waste, no drama in that, no fun. 
went from post apocalyptic ghetto sheik too super science saavy

^ that's a whole lot of amazing packed into a couple phrases, love the way you put that. i may have to steal that as a recruiting pitch for new players.

"Go from post apocalyptic ghetto sheik to super science saavy in Gamma World!"

Thank you, thank you!  I could' ve been a rap star if only I could remember the silly **** I say. 
 Oraibi

It appears you have two seperate links to two black and white folios. One with the interaction skill listed and the other without the interaction skill. The only difference I can see is that the skills on one are enclosed in boxes and in the other one they are not enclosed in boxes.

Love the sheet by the way.

Yep, right here:

boldpueblo.com/dazed/2010/12/gamma-world...

There's a bug in the B&W folio that I need to fix -- it's missing the label for "Interaction" below Charisma. I'll try to get that fixed later today.

@Oraibi,

The character sheets look great. A ton more detail than what is on the sheets that come with the box. Did you get a chance to fix the bug in the B&W folio?
Just fixed it, here's the download link again:

boldpueblo.com/downloads/gammaworld/GW-c...

A few of my players have complained about the gray for the little text on the sheet -- not the size but the faintness. Does anyone think I should make it darker/black?
Just fixed it, here's the download link again:

boldpueblo.com/downloads/gammaworld/GW-c...

A few of my players have complained about the gray for the little text on the sheet -- not the size but the faintness. Does anyone think I should make it darker/black?

You really have a lot of great stuff created for GW. As far as the shading and stuff I think it looks good. I did not see any changes on the sheet however in regards to "Interaction".
It should be listed at the bottom of the skills under charisma -- the box was blank before.
Weird. Maybe I am getting cached results. The box is still blank as far as I can tell. I will check later from my home connection.
I'll ask some other people to check the current file for me too, see what they get.
It was a caching issue I think. I pulled it down from another connection and I see the changes now. Thanks.