Where are the Death Machines, Warbots, and Domars?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where are all the the trademark things I remember from the previous Gamma World versions? I hope they put them in Legion of Gold...
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Well, as far as Domars go, seems unlikely to me since the game doesn't really concern itself with money.  Everything seems to be bartered.

Dunno about those robots, but it'd be pretty easy to just rename any extant high-level robots to warbot or death machine.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Since LoG focuses on 8 to 10, it's likely that the big iconic baddies will be there.
The level 10 Solo in the main book is probably as close as you'll get to a Warbot or Death Machine.

Domars are a casualty of two things:  1) Moving the Apocalypse back to the modern day, so no time for exotic new currencies to be developed.  2) going to a barter economy. 

You could re-introduce the Domar, but it'd probably be something like using plastic cards (ie credit cards, library cards, iTunes cards, etc) as hard-to-counterfiet currency.   As in the original game, the colorful markings or denominations are meaningless, a Domar is a Domar.

(BTW, did anyone ever wonder where they got 'Domar?'  I often thought Dollar + Mark. 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Instead of domars, we are currently using a simplified coinage in the "civilized" areas of our territory. The dominant group, the "Federalists," stamp their own coins. Value is by the metal used: copper, nickel, silver, and gold. To keep it simple, every coin is worth 10x times the previous one's value. (Yes, this makes no realistic sense, but if I wanted realism I wouldn't play GW!) Because they are made of metals, these coins also have barter value, but within the "estates" they also have a designated value that I hope to use to create a price list for standard equipment.
We are using food as the basis for money in our campaign.
You could re-introduce the Domar, but it'd probably be something like using plastic cards (ie credit cards, library cards, iTunes cards, etc) as hard-to-counterfiet currency.   As in the original game, the colorful markings or denominations are meaningless, a Domar is a Domar.

Alternatively, they are exactly as you described, and color still denotes value ("gold" and "platinum" are worth more, etc), and/or post-Mistake societies still stamp them, as per previous edition domars.

In my initial readthrough of the GW4 core (the '92 one), I thought that domars WERE credit cards, rather than "based on" credit cards.  I was disappointed to find that it was not the case, so at the very least, this edition gives me the chance to implement "a currency once vitally important to the function of Ancient society."  Given the Archivists being descendant from Ban-Kers, this adds all sort of opportunity for humor.

(BTW, did anyone ever wonder where they got 'Domar?'  I often thought Dollar + Mark. 

I always figured they just took the Ls, moved them a letter down the alphabet, then decided 'Domar' looked and sounded better than 'Dommar', but ... y'never know.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I'm using Cans as the major currency, but have toyed with the idea of introducing domars as a energy storage device (a battery.) The idea being that there are vending machines that produce wonderous items if fed the energy in coin form...

still playing with integration rules....
I'm considering going with bottle caps, a la Fallout.
Random idea: using spent bullet casings as a currency, in order to give their PCs are reason to go for broke with their ammo weapons. At the end of any encounter that they run out of ammo, the PCs roll 1d10 (adjust to taste) and collect that many spent casings.

Just an idea. Feel free to use, adapt, or improve upon it if you see fit.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL

That's actually what they were in one edition of the game (or perhaps two). Old credit cards of the ancients. 
It would be cool to see stats for Death Machines, Warbots & Defense Borgs although I think they're more useful as a Deus Ex Machina rather than actual foes for the PCs to defeat, which should be nigh impossible.

Also don't forget the mech-like machines from the old Dragon article about the Empire of the Sun.  Those were pretty cool too.

As far as domars, I use them in my GW campaign but they're actually the small change of Ancient society.  Most Ancients just used credit or debit cards & didn't carry cash, except for small change, like domars.  However, Gamma Terrans value the domars highly & find the credit/debit cards useless pieces of plastic. Of course, barter is still the most common form of trade in Gamma Terra.