Monster Vault and GW

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm thinking that the Monster Vault might be a good investment to help populate the monster population of Gamma World. It features a ton of classic monsters, includes tokens just like GW, and has all the updated (and recently scaled-up) stats.

But with Gamma World's emphasis on lethality, I'm just not sure, sight unseen, if the monsters are going to stack up. I'd like to be able to just drop them in without too much conversion, so if they're too underpowered or have a different design "template," I'd rather just stick with the monsters that were created with GW in mind.

So, for anyone that has the Monster Vault, how do the monsters stack up compared to Gamma World monsters? Would I be able to drop them into a GW campaign without too much jury-rigging? Has anyone tried to use monsters from the Vault in their GW games? I'll probably grab it if the monsters seem to fit well—Amazon has a nice price at the moment.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
Can't be sure, but I thought that there is not much difference in the building of monsters between the games for the intended purpose of using D&D monsters in your game.  The lethality comes more on the players' side in that healing, action points, and such are harder to come by for the characters.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Devil\'s Brigade

MV works pretty well for GW, in my opinion.

You could throw in a few extra powers here and there, a la the "monster themes" from DMG2, if you need to make them a little tougher. But by and large, the monsters should be stats-compatible with D&D.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Draw some random alpha mutations for them and omega tech.  Make these their 'powers'.  Fun Fun.
The lethality is a function of reduced healing for players as well as less overall HP as a result of rolling Con. Also, less optimization goes on due to limited equipment and no feats or magic items.

Just run them as is. If it turns out they aren't lethal enough, bump them on the fly. A flat +2 damage can make a significant difference.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Update:

Just got MV in the mail today. For anyone else interested, it's awesome. If you're on the fence at all, BUY IT. It's only $20 on Amazon right now.

For the most part, the monsters in MV match up statistically with the ones in GW. A Level 2 soldier has basically the same hit points, bonus to attack, and damage output, no matter what product it comes from. So the monsters are generally "plug & play." Plus, a bunch of these monsters will fit into the "ethos" of Gamma Terra without too much adjustment. For example, it's easy to picture an owlbear or a treant fighting next to badders, porkers, and other GW baddies.

Ultimately, this is a well-thought out, useful product (as opposed to the rest of Essentials, IMHO). After getting this, I'm interested to see what will be included in Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Value this June.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
I have Monster Vault & think it's highly useful for GW.  Most of the creatures in Monster Vault can be used in GW & you gotta love all the Monster tokens.  Right now I'm trying to think how I can convert the adventure in Monster Vault, Cairn of the Winter King, to a GW adventure.
Since I have the MM's 1, 2, and 3, I did not pick up the Monster Vault.  From a Gamma World perspective, is there a reason to pick up the MV if I already have the Monster Manuals?
As I understand it, the monsters are revised and rebuilt from the ground up with new mechanics and "state-of-the-game" numbers, not simply reprints.  I have yet to acquire my own copy, but that should be soon and I'll let you know.
The monsters in MV are quite comparable to GW monsters. Flavor doesn't fit, and there is no humor involved, but they'll work just fine in a straight (non-slapstick) campaign.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Here's what prompted the question.  I read the below article and this thread and wondered why everyone mentions the MV specifically:

slyflourish.com/extreme-reskinning-young...

i prepared an adventure with some elfs and hobgoblin builds, i just spun them into Ishtaran Guards and such,  im interested in seeing how they play out.

EDIT: I also used a white dragon in mine, but with a different skin on it haha.