Additional Uber Features

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here are some thoughts for additional features you can select at level 10:

* Choose one of your origin utility powers. You can use that power one additional time each encounter.
* Choose one of your ability scores. If it is lower than 16, raise it to 16. If it is 16 or higher, increase it by 2.
* You score a critical hit on an attack roll of 19 or 20.
* You never experience Alpha Flux as a result of rolling a 1.
* You never run out of ammo.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

* Choose one of your origin utility powers. You can use that power one additional time each encounter.
I like it. I would even consider expanding it to "One free recharge of any encounter ability"

* Choose one of your ability scores. If it is lower than 16, raise it to 16. If it is 16 or higher, increase it by 2.
I really like this one. In fact, I think stat increases should be spread out amongst the levels. I'm thinking about how to do that.

Pretty cool as it adds to the flavor and effect of two of the level rewards. 

Sometimes Alpha Flux can be a good thing. Maybe a choice here...

Compared to the others available, I don't see anyone choosing this. I could be wrong.
Those are pretty nice.  I think infinite ammo would be pretty cool, especially if your origin uses some weapon attacks.

Crits on 19 or 20 seems overpowered.  That's twice as many crits, and at level 10 the crits are already pretty strong.  I could be wrong though.

-- 77IM

I like it. I would even consider expanding it to "One free recharge of any encounter ability"

I really like this one. In fact, I think stat increases should be spread out amongst the levels. I'm thinking about how to do that.

Pretty cool as it adds to the flavor and effect of two of the level rewards. 

Sometimes Alpha Flux can be a good thing. Maybe a choice here...

Compared to the others available, I don't see anyone choosing this. I could be wrong.

unlimeted ammo is overpowered, not an undisireable choice.

it is essentially making an encounter scaled power an at will. this is too much even at max level.
unlimeted ammo is overpowered, not an undisireable choice.

it is essentially making an encounter scaled power an at will. this is too much even at max level.

I think it'd be more accurate to say that this effectively gives Str/Con characters a permanent +1.5 or +2 to their ranged weapon damage, and gives Dex/Int characters a permanent +1 to their ranged weapon attack.  (Those, of course, being the stat differences between ranged weapons and guns.)

This might still be overpowered; I can't really say.  It sounds a lot less crazy, though.

On the other features, I echo Delphmonk's comments: They are all extremely awesome, except for the "No alpha flux" one.
I think for the extended crit range, I would change that to 1/enc you can turn a natural 18 or 19 on the die roll to a natural 20... or something like that.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
Here are some thoughts for additional features you can select at level 10:

Good. I like this one.

I like this one as well.

I like this, but think that it should be an encounter power. Perhaps a new utility that can be increased by the first of this list.

I would prefer, instead, to allow a choice of undergoing Alpha Flux or rerolling the d20. If the reroll is greater than your level, you Alpha Flux otherwise you don't. This would allow for higher level characters to Flux less often or choose to refocus and go through the Flux.

In my house rules, I allow a player to spend their Second Wind to Alpha Flux or to end an Alpha Flux (mutations are permanent and Alpha Flux temporarily overwrites a character's permanent mutations until the next Extended Rest).

Do not like.

I would instead allow for an "Elven Accuracy" on the Ammo Check which can only be done once for any given Check. I think that gives people a better chance of keeping ammo but provides a nice, high-powered boon to using guns.

Sign In to post comments