How much should a dungeon cost.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am DMing a 3.5 game where the party will be given the oppertunity to help a small town design a dungeon to hide a powerful artifact that has been under their protection for generations. The town will naturaly have a budget, but here is the catch, I have no idea how much I shopuld give them. So what do you think would be a good amount to give a level five party to build a dungeon?
i do very much like this concept. i am allowing the players to basically build their own lair from the remnants of an enemy stronghold using their own funds and special price breaks they get from having many friends in high places.
though i dont know off the top of my head, the prices for everything in any dungeon are all listed throughout all the books. you might try checking out the "Stronghold Builder's Guide". also "Dungeonscape" would probably be helpful for that, as well.
you might consider listing various things you plan on incorporating in said dungeon and i might be able to help more.

also: BUDGET. in "Cityscape" it will tell you the estimated wealth of a town based on population.

Not sure, I would imagine it would have a lot to do with the traps inside. I'm sure you could get estimates by assuming that if say a cottage is so much gold, and the square footing of a dungeon is a hundred times that, plus the raw materials of traps and stuff you want to devise. We assume you want to BUY the dungeon instead of just DMing one.

Are you like, going for an evil campaign, and this is D&D house hunters? lulz!
i do very much like this concept. i am allowing the players to basically build their own lair from the remnants of an enemy stronghold using their own funds and special price breaks they get from having many friends in high places.
though i dont know off the top of my head, the prices for everything in any dungeon are all listed throughout all the books. you might try checking out the "Stronghold Builder's Guide". also "Dungeonscape" would probably be helpful for that, as well.
you might consider listing various things you plan on incorporating in said dungeon and i might be able to help more.

also: BUDGET. in "Cityscape" it will tell you the estimated wealth of a town based on population.

Here, here!  Stronghold Builder's Guide should really help, I heartily agree.  There are some trap design books on the d20 market that would help you to factor in costs of traps if the SBG doesn't do that part for you.  For background details, doesn't really matter the edition, they all pretty much work together with very little transition.  Pay close attention if the "costs" include labor, which is always at least as much as materials in the modern world, I expect the same back then?
There's also some rules for digging/excavating somewhere which may help, then use Stronghold Builders Guidebook for the cost of enhancing/shoring up the walls as needed.

There may be something in PH under the skills (profession mining or something?).

I recently finished reading Races of the Dragon, and there's definitely some info in there for speeding up the digging process.  Probably a Kobold feat or something.  There may also be costs for hiring kobolds to dig for you.
pff. heroes don't hire kobalds. heroes hire DWARVES! xD
pff. heroes don't hire kobalds. heroes hire DWARVES! xD

And the dwarves cancel "Drink" because they're tired, and die of dehydration surrounded by cats.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Sign In to post comments